What is the best version of Football Manager ? Poll.

What is the best version of Football Manager ???  

429 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best version of Football Manager ???

• FM 2005
    • FM 2006
    • FM 2007

FM08 all the way. It was the only FM i have gone without installing a patch. No glitchy regen faces it was just perfect but know there are so many faults. Even if did say say FM10 was better. It is only because of a 3D match engine and it has been brushed up a little bit that's all apart from that FM08 is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy better in my opinion.

Plus you do have to miss the brawls players use to have on the pitch (Nice right hook) LOL but on FM10 there is none of that. Those were the good old times But know i think the game has been watered down a little (or alot)

Show us that magic you have ( or use to have ) SI. And make the next FM amazing ( I'm not tryna say FM10 is bad. I enjoy it alot

lol.)

FM10 is not without it's faults, but there is so much to it that when I go back and try another, earlier version, I miss so much about FM10.

I genuinely love the UI - it's as accessible as LMA Manager's with the various tabs along the top that you can just flick through. It's awesome.

So I voted for FM05 :D

not really

Fm10 by a distance

Not sure how it is a viable claim to say otherwise, considering it has visibly improved year on year:confused::confused::confused:

People have their opinion. Ask me last year while I was playing FM09 and I'd have said FM07 was the best.

FM09 at the moment. Reasons? FM10 is far from perfect. Hopefully, when fully finished, it will be the best version, but it has far too many big problems and a match engine that feels currently unfinished for me to rank it above FM09. It's close, but 09 definetley has the edge at the moment.

People have their opinion. Ask me last year while I was playing FM09 and I'd have said FM07 was the best.

Tell me why then

I see no reason when you have had the new features from both 08 and 09, you would say 07 was a better game.

There is a clear progression year on year. Each game is that little bit better than its predecessor. That's why I buy it every year

If the newest version of a constantly developed game series is not the best, there's something wrong... So 'which version was the best compared to the previous years' would be a better question, I think. :) That's why CM 03/04 was my favorite, it was the biggest improvement in the long history of the series.

Tell me why then

I see no reason when you have had the new features from both 08 and 09, you would say 07 was a better game.

There is a clear progression year on year. Each game is that little bit better than its predecessor. That's why I buy it every year

Because FM07 is the only one I had any actual success on :(

EDIT: richard weston - you joined here on Christmas day 2007. Did you get FM08 for Christmas that year? :D

I voted for FM10 because its the on i have enjoyed the most so far although i did have my longest save on 08 and did enjoy it. The only reason i didnt vote for 08 was because i was disappointed with the regens and there were nowhere near enough good quality regens.

my vote goes to 08, to me it was the best game SI have ever done, at the moment 07 is in 2nd, just ahead of 10, and that's only because of what I can do in the editor.

Personally I thought 09 was complete pigs poo, I never actually completed a season in it, everytime I'd try, I'd end up back at 08 within an hour, I just couldn't get into it, plus, the editor never worked for me, and I love playing with the editor more than the actual game sometimes.

I guess the other reason I can't get away from 08 is because of all the effort i've put into a save game there, my team looks exactly how I want it too and find it hard to not play another match with them!

The FM series has had an ever-expanding feature set throughout its run - managing to add more and more every time - but FM07 was the peak of the series, in my view. It struck the right balance between in-depth features and playability.

By way of comparison, FM06 was top-quality, but the features and nuances introduced in FM07 take the latter above its predecessor. Things like feeder clubs, a complex scouting module, more training options, and detailed player interaction really enriched the playing experience.

Meanwhile, later versions of FM have continued to add features, but none strike the same balance that was present in FM07. To underscore the point: FM10 is a very detailed and well thought-out game, with more features than ever before, but that strength is also a weakness. There's just too much to do, and too many screens to filter through. Being hands-off puts the human manager at a disadvantage, while being hands-on just takes too much time. The interface tries to fit everything in, and the result is a convoluted appearance with too many tabs and microscopic text.

Fm10 by a distance

Not sure how it is a viable claim to say otherwise, considering it has visibly improved year on year:confused::confused::confused:

Simply adding more features doesn't mean that you prefer one game to the previous one. That's your benchmark; I look at it differently.

I'm a bit surprised at the FM08 love. It's the version I played the least, and the first time I went back to a previous version. There were major issues with regens and board confidence that I just couldnt stand.

FM07 was the most playable for me. A challenge but not ridiculous (no silly mid season slumps as the AI counter you), good features but not too many of them. A great match engine as well, the slight overpowered target men aside.

Personally FM10, I really have enjoyed every save I've had on it so far, and have yet to enounter any of the bug's constantly floating around, albeit I had one crash dump, but I think that related to a skin I downloaded :rolleyes: as it hasn't happened since I deleted it

my vote goes to 08, to me it was the best game SI have ever done, at the moment 07 is in 2nd, just ahead of 10, and that's only because of what I can do in the editor.

Personally I thought 09 was complete pigs poo, I never actually completed a season in it, everytime I'd try, I'd end up back at 08 within an hour, I just couldn't get into it, plus, the editor never worked for me, and I love playing with the editor more than the actual game sometimes.

I guess the other reason I can't get away from 08 is because of all the effort i've put into a save game there, my team looks exactly how I want it too and find it hard to not play another match with them!

I agree. It what I feel with FM07. FM10 is too much confusion and little fun to attrack me to pick the game from the shelf.

The FM series has had an ever-expanding feature set throughout its run - managing to add more and more every time - but FM07 was the peak of the series, in my view. It struck the right balance between in-depth features and playability.

By way of comparison, FM06 was top-quality, but the features and nuances introduced in FM07 take the latter above its predecessor. Things like feeder clubs, a complex scouting module, more training options, and detailed player interaction really enriched the playing experience.

Meanwhile, later versions of FM have continued to add features, but none strike the same balance that was present in FM07. To underscore the point: FM10 is a very detailed and well thought-out game, with more features than ever before, but that strength is also a weakness. There's just too much to do, and too many screens to filter through. Being hands-off puts the human manager at a disadvantage, while being hands-on just takes too much time. The interface tries to fit everything in, and the result is a convoluted appearance with too many tabs and microscopic text.

Simply adding more features doesn't mean that you prefer one game to the previous one. That's your benchmark; I look at it differently.

You are right in the money as far more and more features. One of those things I question of endless features is why do we need have four separate windows\screens for news? I don't get why it cannot be focused on the Inbox like it was in FM07.

The balance is one of the keys of the game specially concerning trasnfer system and AI management. I saw that Man Utd fir priority was to dispatch Scholes. Alex Ferguson would never sale a player like Scholes even if he was 45. The same goes for Giggs. Yet the only short period i played FM10 Scholes was the first to go, but not sure of Giggs, I might have to check on that.

CM 04 Was good, but it was my introduction game of the series, 2005 was an overall improvement of very same game if i remember correctly

FM 2005 was great

FM 2006 Medicore (Game started to feel kind of random here)

FM 2007 Medicore (I played those two and dont really remember much, meaning not much impression)

FM 2008 Worst (The most random game of the series)

FM 2009 Best (Well balancing of all features that were previously implented but was not working very well yet, like team-talks, aswell as some new good additions, for me, clearly the most enjoyble version of football manager to date, comparable to FM2005)

FM 2010 I dont know yet

I guess it depends what parts of the game one enjoys ;)

FM08 for me. I've only been playing FM10 for 3 days so I am reserving judgement on that.

My last FM08 save is over 20 seasons in, having taken the mighty Stalybridge Celtic to the heights of the Premiership and Europe. Ended up leaving them for Sheffield Wednesday in 2028 as I had been after that job for a good 10 years. I couldn't refuse when they finally offered it to me, even though it was a backwards step.

WAHEY for FM08! It was the best one... and definately was at the third patch! FM10 is close but maybe if the third patch is good then it may pass 08 but at the moment my vote goes to 08! I loved the old arrows! Never exploited them. Just used them sensibly.

EDIT: Man it makes me wanna play it after footy training! But the non-updated transfers! Even tho there are custom ones out there players seem to then get bought by their old clubs on it anyway after a season or 2 :thdn:

Easily 2008 for me. It was just so fun and it wouldn't take nearly as long to finish a season as it does now.

The match engine was the best! I started out crap and then i got good.

Unlike 2010 you could see a massive difference with just a small change in tactics and the 2d was so much better than 3d.

I would happily pay 30quid for the database now with the 2008 match engine.

Ah, I'd go for the original in the series, back in the olden days of CM1. No funny match engine of any significant to worry about bugs with, players being "expected to move abroad at the end of their contract" and the three foreigner rule in Europe when playing against all them fancy teams of players named "No 1" etc.

Oh how I enjoyed the days of simply loading your team with forwards and watching them score buckets of goals.

Archived