Post your current Formation/Tactic

Post your current Formation/Tactic and give a brief summary of what you are trying to do.

I am currently trying to replicate Luciano Spalletti's 4-6-0 formation while at Roma, using the false 9 to drop into midfield, dragging opposition defenders with him and giving space to the onrushing central midfielders and wingers. We try to prevent the opposition playing through the middle and have defensive wingers out wide and wing backs on full pressing to try and create turnovers. We have the defensive wingers set to 'get further forward' so that they will perform like usual wingers in possession. 

tttte.JPG

Edited by DavidWaters

I've been using this fantastic 4-4-2 formation for my Dinamo Zagreb save.

first11DZ.jpg.84f40ffb44d6372b235d16d52637276c.jpgresultsDZ.jpg.a5261213fc6c223d469133a061b213bd.jpg

The results have been incredible, often very unrealistic. Probably a future update will adjust the goal tallies to more realistic figures.

Anyway, I wrote an article with more details about this tactic on no throw.

Cheers

Results are decent but the football isn't pretty, not many chances created etc. Having some trouble progressing the ball up the pitch, sometimes the CB's get 90+ passes in a game. My plan was to get both AMC's to move into channels and kind of make a box with the 2 DM's but that clearly isn't working

image.png

Edited by arthurbf10

Decided to emulate the tactics I was using in my FM18 Everton save (with some tweaks like two DMs instead of two CMs) and it has been working okay, but it's only been a few matches after I switched tactics so hard to say in the long term. 

I think I need to change the role for my striker though. Sometimes he plays well but then he drops some stinkers (whilst the rest of the team plays pretty well).

image.png

On 14/11/2023 at 07:44, phnompenhandy said:

Following a "Realistic" attempt, I'm managing a Level 20 amateur side where all the staff have attributes of 1 and all the players start with CA1, the philosophy is to Keep It Simple. Six defenders and 4 guys with a wee bit of pace up top

dec tacs.png

Nice tactic. But how is managing with staff with attributes of 1 and artificially handicapped players realistic :idiot:? Seems harder than in real life to me.

Edited by crusadertsar

6 minutes ago, crusadertsar said:

Nice tactic. But how is managing with staff with attributes of 1 and artificially handicapped players realistic :idiot:? Seems harder than in real life to me.

I did put "realistic" in inverted commas. I mean realistically, if I were to manage a football club, it would be at this level, with voluntary unqualified but willing 'coaches' and any sod willing to put on a pair of boots. Sad to say, even with these restrictions, perma-winning is not hard :( .  Hopefully, I'll hit a :seagull: after we've climbed a few rungs.

Bear in mind, SI set up the players and staff in the database to operate only down to Level 6. They don't take into account lower leagues created by fans. Okay, there are players who might populate squads at level 8 or 9, i.e. those with minimal CA. But if I want to create players and staff with lower attributes than the game programmes, I have to do it by editing attributes to a lower level.

Edited by phnompenhandy

7 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

I did put "realistic" in inverted commas. I mean realistically, if I were to manage a football club, it would be at this level, with voluntary unqualified but willing 'coaches' and any sod willing to put on a pair of boots. Sad to say, even with these restrictions, perma-winning is not hard :( .  Hopefully, I'll hit a :seagull: after we've climbed a few rungs.

Bear in mind, SI set up the players and staff in the database to operate only down to Level 6. They don't take into account lower leagues created by fans. Okay, there are players who might populate squads at level 8 or 9, i.e. those with minimal CA. But if I want to create players and staff with lower attributes than the game programmes, I have to do it by editing attributes to a lower level.

Oh wow I see. Makes sense. Wish my team could start "perma-winning" too :lol:. Maybe I should start managing in LLM.

On 11/11/2023 at 16:41, Sheila said:

Same formation I've been running since Champ Manager 01/02 days. Score 3 or 4 goals a game on average.

Picture1.png

I'm a bit intrigued by this. Never thought that such a 4-3-3 narrow could work. Does it have PI's? Would you mind sharing it?

1 hour ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Completely game-breaking, tbh. Two trebles in a row, third season was the best I ever had in FM. It's time to try it on a weaker side.

image.png.83b5e11be5537e8d89b32e09e376cae1.png

image.png.f10024deb0e0ed1b6713cf98d1c972

35-3-0 in the league with 129-20 GD.

Run to finish the season:

image.png.ac92ec08be3a0a0c22dce1c5b6b4bc

Any player instructions?

14 hours ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Completely game-breaking, tbh. Two trebles in a row, third season was the best I ever had in FM. It's time to try it on a weaker side.

image.png.83b5e11be5537e8d89b32e09e376cae1.png

image.png.f10024deb0e0ed1b6713cf98d1c972

35-3-0 in the league with 129-20 GD.

Run to finish the season:

image.png.ac92ec08be3a0a0c22dce1c5b6b4bc

currently playing a Santos save using a 3-5-2 so might give this a whirl

image.thumb.jpeg.655be6ffe2691cb9e329e19b9c827b66.jpegReally enjoying this one!

The aim was to get a low block / direct tactic working and I must say I'm very impressed. changed mid way through last season after failing at catennacio and managed to turn it around to win the league. 

Something I've picked up on is the power of slightly more direct and slightly lower tempo is counter attacking - in the ME it doesn't feel slow but the players are taking a second to pick the pass. which is resulting in more sustained attacks. 

On 18/11/2023 at 13:21, Karlo said:

I'm a bit intrigued by this. Never thought that such a 4-3-3 narrow could work.

Not the OP, but using three central strikers will basically 'break' a back 4 in the engine, as one striker will always be free.

In older editions of FM the AI would often switch to this tactic when desperate for a goal, with three centre backs the only way to counteract.

Mercifully I don't think that this remains as a default tactic, so we're now spared this from the AI at least.

tac4.png.c42c4a0e7d71887a9bbab85168a656e6.thumb.png.04dbc6e1e5f9a6c52ab7e83ff3ca6cc8.png

Here is my tactic with Real Sociedad approaching the end of the 1st season. A mid-block, lower intensity, minimalist system that puts defence first while relying on more clinical attack. It helped my team in leading LaLiga in least goals conceeded and most clean sheets. Currently sitting in 4th position in April. You can read more about it here:

Edited by crusadertsar

On 09/11/2023 at 18:37, DavidWaters said:

Post your current Formation/Tactic and give a brief summary of what you are trying to do.

I am currently trying to replicate Luciano Spalletti's 4-6-0 formation while at Roma, using the false 9 to drop into midfield, dragging opposition defenders with him and giving space to the onrushing central midfielders and wingers. We try to prevent the opposition playing through the middle and have defensive wingers out wide and wing backs on full pressing to try and create turnovers. We have the defensive wingers set to 'get further forward' so that they will perform like usual wingers in possession. 

tttte.JPG

Every FM I try and make a 4141 (I don’t know why I just love the formation) work but I shoot myself in the foot as I hate lots of TI. I think I usually fail as I’m not keen going above positive either, but with that shape the mentality probably makes all the difference, whatever roles I use. If yours works that’s great. One assumes the 2 CM work well together otherwise you wouldn’t use them. 

Edited by Englishhammer
Spelling

On 20/11/2023 at 11:54, kingjericho said:

Sacchi inspired style. No PIs or OIs. Works just as fine as a 442. Almost gamebreaking

image.png.2d5ea27513420b238981c81f229e0bec.png

Started off like a train with the default Gegen Press, and then it stopped working, switched over to to this, which was fine. Then I noticed that all roles bar the central defenders and GK where basic/default so embellished the tactic with CD D and GK D roles to go back to basics across the board, overlaid the default Gegen Press instructions and am undefeated in mid-October, So far, so good. Tip my hat to the original.

c0d9964a79c78ce1cbab13458550ed1c.png

• Wanted to include an aging Messi in the squad, which resulted in the AP on the right wing, he has now retired but I'm keeping the role as it seems to work well
  • Wanted to include Hato as a Libero, which also resulted in an IFB on the RB position
  • The two central midfielders provide movement in the center and also enter the box for a goal
  • The DM is there to hold position and provide support in offense while providing mostly defensive stability

In the formation above in possession, Hato will move forward next to Mannsverk, whereas Mannsverk moves a bit to the right

Hilgers moves from DCR to DCL and Calegari moves from RB to DCR

Wijndal provides support to Borges in offense and supports both Hato and Taylor in build up

Sforza makes forward runs into the box providing an additional goal scorer for Muzambo to pass to.

Muzambo mostly hangs on the right and performs the occasional dribble into the box. He is a bit further back and moves along with Sforza.

Borges provides lots of dribbles into the box and provides assists and goals

Marcos Leonardo roams from position to help in build up and lays off quite a lot. Scores goals, but not as many as a traditional striker.

Edited by diLLa88

1 hour ago, PAFC said:

Started off like a train with the default Gegen Press, and then it stopped working, switched over to to this, which was fine. Then I noticed that all roles bar the central defenders and GK where basic/default so embellished the tactic with CD D and GK D roles to go back to basics across the board, overlaid the default Gegen Press instructions and am undefeated in mid-October, So far, so good. Tip my hat to the original.

base tactic is incredibly simple but you can change some roles. don't change many duties, though, it's important to keep the balance of defend/support/attack duties.

for example each of my strikers has a different role depending on their attributes. i set the tactic to change for specific player between AF/A, PF/A, and TF/A

also wingers are either W/A or IW/A depending on their stronger foot

Edited by kingjericho

Il 14/11/2023 in 14:19 , coach vahid ha scritto:

@Mik_Fe,

Hi i would look like to know why the instructions underlap left, underlap right.

And why this set up and if you satisfied...

Thanks.

TI to encourage the team to use the central of the pitch, and meanwhile increase mentality of my WB and reduce mentality of IF.

good tactic.. very good… little changes but the structure is the same..

• 3 weeks later...
On 18/11/2023 at 13:21, Karlo said:

I'm a bit intrigued by this. Never thought that such a 4-3-3 narrow could work. Does it have PI's? Would you mind sharing it?

I do apologise @Mik_Fe I haven't been checking this forum recently. The proper 433 works great the game has never really been able to work out how to defend against it. Its greatest weakness is against teams that play 442 oddly enough, which is all but extinct even at the lower levels these days.

406913347_740713818102573_6994875547019798386_n.jpg

386890183_1349001809324243_1402989433280747469_n.jpg

406478613_897801364764254_4341979934281155538_n.jpg

Edited by Sheila

Iam currently overachieving with a 4-3-3 wide. At least this is what FM is calling this 4-1-2-3.
IFs are tucked in, lines are high, so is tempo.
Generally this tactic is very constantly performing and can be played with bad players.

image.png.30546cd4404828d4cce96d165616ade0.png

Edited by b2khn

On 13/12/2023 at 21:29, Sheila said:

I do apologise @Mik_Fe I haven't been checking this forum recently. The proper 433 works great the game has never really been able to work out how to defend against it. Its greatest weakness is against teams that play 442 oddly enough, which is all but extinct even at the lower levels these days.

406913347_740713818102573_6994875547019798386_n.jpg

386890183_1349001809324243_1402989433280747469_n.jpg

406478613_897801364764254_4341979934281155538_n.jpg

You've tagged the wrong user ;) and given TI's that were already visible in your first screenshot. I was asking for PI's (player instructions) or do you mind making your tactic available for download?