• Rashidi changed the title to FM24 - Positional Play Explained with examples
  • Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 17/09/2023 at 08:02, Rashidi said:

Midfielders

Halfback ( From DM to CD) Even an offset HB will cause the two central defenders to go wider.
Segundo Volante (From DM to AM)
Roaming Playmaker (From DM, CM, AM)
Box to Box Midfielder (From CM to AM)
Central Midfielder Attack (From CM to AM)
Advanced Playmaker (From CM to AM)
Mezzala (From CM to AM)

The Regista is not in that list?

really NICE post, good tips and complete analysis

how you think is the best way to emulate Griezmann role in france?

i want my AMC to drop really deep to get the ball and start counter attacks or to organize the team, like, he needs to be always on the same side as the ball

but doesnt matter what AMC role i set up, my AMC tends to become a third striker or at least make lots of runs when we got the ball, instead be near the ball ready to receive the ball

On 16/09/2023 at 23:02, Rashidi said:

Rotational Shifts in position/tier

Midfielders

Halfback ( From DM to CD) Even an offset HB will cause the two central defenders to go wider.
Segundo Volante (From DM to AM)
Roaming Playmaker (From DM, CM, AM)
Box to Box Midfielder (From CM to AM)
Central Midfielder Attack (From CM to AM)
Advanced Playmaker (From CM to AM)
Mezzala (From CM to AM)

Is the RPM moving from DM to CM and from CM to AM?

Also, are there any positional rotations between AMR/L and STC roles? For example IF-A and F9 or AF-A. Also, SS-A and F9?

3 minutes ago, yonko said:

Is the RPM moving from DM to CM and from CM to AM?

Also, are there any positional rotations between AMR/L and STC roles? For example IF-A and F9 or AF-A. Also, SS-A and F9?

The RPM will rotate  from the DPM to CM tier in the buildup and then into the AM tier in the next stage of transition. Roles in those tiers will form partnerships by the arriving RPM by moving to the side. Unless a role has been listed here ( the list was provided by the match engine team) they don’t rotate.

You will need to try things out, cos the movement of a lot of roles is more intuitive than a simple “go here” if “he comes”. 

The halfback at the moment is one such role, his rotation looks a bit strange when he is playing in an offset 4231DM and then looks fantastic in a single pivot system.

3 hours ago, newsuzanoebok said:

i want my AMC to drop really deep to get the ball and start counter attacks or to organize the team, like, he needs to be always on the same side as the ball

If you want him to drop very deep, you might have two choices. A trait like comes deeper which will only make it a tendency or the role of a Trequartista. Though I haven’t tried a TQ yet, that would be an assumption.

Are attributes critical or just more useful to effectively use tactics with heavy rotational roles? Such as teamwork, positioning, off the ball, anticipation etc. i.e. would using roles such as inverted full backs be a no go for LLM saves?

6 hours ago, Jack Sarahs said:

Because it doesn’t trigger a rotation. 

Very interesting, are there any places I can look to see which roles doesn't trigger rotation?

All of the fluidity is very nice but some times I would love my team to be more rigid.

37 minutes ago, DBSC said:

Are attributes critical or just more useful to effectively use tactics with heavy rotational roles? Such as teamwork, positioning, off the ball, anticipation etc. i.e. would using roles such as inverted full backs be a no go for LLM saves?

I watch a lot of lower league real-life football on YouTube and see inverted fullbacks quite commonly now. There's nothing particularly technical about the role that requires higher-level skills.

3 hours ago, Rashidi said:

The RPM will rotate  from the DPM to CM tier in the buildup and then into the AM tier in the next stage of transition. Roles in those tiers will form partnerships by the arriving RPM by moving to the side. Unless a role has been listed here ( the list was provided by the match engine team) they don’t rotate.

You will need to try things out, cos the movement of a lot of roles is more intuitive than a simple “go here” if “he comes”. 

The halfback at the moment is one such role, his rotation looks a bit strange when he is playing in an offset 4231DM and then looks fantastic in a single pivot system.

Rotation of attackers are far more common now in modern football especially the F9 dropping deep and the inside forward becoming the striker. A missed opportunity here. 

1 hour ago, Hzano123 said:

Very interesting, are there any places I can look to see which roles doesn't trigger rotation?

This post contains a list of roles that trigger rotation so if a role is not on the list then it doesn't 

Am i right to say that all the roles and their movements from previous FM editions have changed with regards to how they perceive and enter space? If so then i think we can see more attacking the box/ post moves from wide players in the ML/R spectrum and not just from the AML/R positions as long as space is made for it. 

• SI Staff
5 hours ago, Hzano123 said:

All of the fluidity is very nice but some times I would love my team to be more rigid.

Yes it's all of the roles not listed above.

The roles listed above are the only roles that trigger rotations.

54 minutos atrás, Jack Sarahs disse:

It's not a missed opportunity. We only had so much time to get these rotations in & this feature complete. We ideally would like to have gone even further with this feature and put even more rotations in, but we're pretty proud of what we've achieved as a team and I don't see this as a missed opportunity as a fan of the game or as an employee. We feel we've given people far more tools then ever before and I think anyone that loves tactics will appreciate this feature and as previously stated we would love to have added more in an ideal scenario but there wasn't another scenario or an option other then what we've put out as a team.

Hopefully people are enjoying the rotations we were able to put into the game this year.

You guys did a banging job, these changes alone made me buy this year's edition

Really enjoying the new version so far, it's fantastic.

The only thing I'm struggling with is how to differentiate between the wide roles (winger, IF and IW), and also the CM to AM transition roles (Mez, CM(a), AP, BBM).

For example, in my 433, the wide players seem to play exactly the same, whether I set them to be wingers, IWs or IFs.

My Mez also seems to behave exactly the same as a BBM or AP.

It might just be that I'm not paying close enough attention, but I can't work out which role is best for my tactic, as they all seem to do the same thing.

4 hours ago, Jack Sarahs said:

It's not a missed opportunity. We only had so much time to get these rotations in & this feature complete. We ideally would like to have gone even further with this feature and put even more rotations in, but we're pretty proud of what we've achieved as a team and I don't see this as a missed opportunity as a fan of the game or as an employee. We feel we've given people far more tools then ever before and I think anyone that loves tactics will appreciate this feature and as previously stated we would love to have added more in an ideal scenario but there wasn't another scenario or an option other then what we've put out as a team.

Hopefully people are enjoying the rotations we were able to put into the game this year.

Yes maybe I was being a bit too harsh as the changes are good and the patterns of play are alot better this year 

The changes to the match engine are simply the best, the positional play just requires people to pay attention to how different roles operate, where they go. It’s so good it’s turned my streams into an endless festival of creating different tactics. I am certain people will enjoy them once they give it the game a good run out.

59 minutes ago, Rashidi said:

The changes to the match engine are simply the best, the positional play just requires people to pay attention to how different roles operate, where they go. It’s so good it’s turned my streams into an endless festival of creating different tactics. I am certain people will enjoy them once they give it the game a good run out.

I've been using my SV as a make shift attacker while using inverted fullbacks to cover for the runs. My next experiment is to fully create the 235 attacking pattern from city. 

1 hour ago, Rashidi said:

It's a dream come true honestly. There are so many options now, and so many new tactics that are going to be possible.

Fantastic information - really appreciated and informative.

Im curious, in real life i like my teams to play a narrow 4-4-2 diamond. 1 x DM, 2 x B2B CMs and 1 x AM. Traditionally in these formations the FBs are required to provide the width. However, depending on opposition shape, our 2 x B2Bs had the freedom to pull wide and turn the diamond in a wide 4-4-2 diamond and we would have the FBs stay narrower or even invert into central spots. 

Im looking to emulate this in FM but I note that alot of the CM "rotations" involve vertical movements (CM to AM etc) but im curious if any of these roles allow horizontal and vertical rotations for midfielders?

4 hours ago, matty2323 said:

Im curious, in real life i like my teams to play a narrow 4-4-2 diamond. 1 x DM, 2 x B2B CMs and 1 x AM. Traditionally in these formations the FBs are required to provide the width. However, depending on opposition shape, our 2 x B2Bs had the freedom to pull wide and turn the diamond in a wide 4-4-2 diamond and we would have the FBs stay narrower or even invert into central spots. 

Im looking to emulate this in FM but I note that alot of the CM "rotations" involve vertical movements (CM to AM etc) but im curious if any of these roles allow horizontal and vertical rotations for midfielders?

I think you could try mezzalas instead of b2b. There natural tendency to go wide opens more freedom to full-backs, wing-backs to cut inside when it's possible to do. 

Edited by Vladis

6 hours ago, matty2323 said:

These rotations are vertical, during a transition phase, one role will move vertically up while another will make space for that role. If you have two roles like a Libero and a halfback you could see one role move up while another comes down. Apart from that, rotations don't shifted horizontally.

13 hours ago, ryandormer said:

The only thing I'm struggling with is how to differentiate between the wide roles (winger, IF and IW), and also the CM to AM transition roles (Mez, CM(a), AP, BBM).

Generally you start by reading the description of the role, which I am sure you have done, then we look at the duty of each role which suggest somewhat how attacking its going to be. Finally I would pay attention to the attributes, a RPM is more likely to move around the pitch and do rotations compared to another role like a Regista which if you check their attributes don't have physical attributes listed as key to the role. Ultimately it takes time and practice to identify them for yourself which is generally the best thing to do. Everyone learns by trying different things.

19 hours ago, Jyuan83 said:

Am i right to say that all the roles and their movements from previous FM editions have changed with regards to how they perceive and enter space?

The changes to positional play will impact roles somewhat, however, good tactics that were well thought out will still work in the current game.  I think in this edition there is better "space management" by other roles when "rotational roles" move around.  Some might think that congested narrow systems might be forced into space with the new changes, but actually that's not really true. Narrow attacking systems like the Xmas tree, 4312 and the 442 Diamond are fun to play now too.

10 minutes ago, Rashidi said:

The changes to positional play will impact roles somewhat, however, good tactics that were well thought out will still work in the current game.  I think in this edition there is better "space management" by other roles when "rotational roles" move around.  Some might think that congested narrow systems might be forced into space with the new changes, but actually that's not really true. Narrow attacking systems like the Xmas tree, 4312 and the 442 Diamond are fun to play now too.

I can see that but tactics that were about overloading would need to be re-thought as  the AI is actively not overloading. 

49 minutes ago, Amarante said:

I can see that but tactics that were about overloading would need to be re-thought as  the AI is actively not overloading. 

U can still do diagonal and lateral overloads

4 hours ago, Rashidi said:

Generally you start by reading the description of the role, which I am sure you have done, then we look at the duty of each role which suggest somewhat how attacking its going to be. Finally I would pay attention to the attributes, a RPM is more likely to move around the pitch and do rotations compared to another role like a Regista which if you check their attributes don't have physical attributes listed as key to the role. Ultimately it takes time and practice to identify them for yourself which is generally the best thing to do. Everyone learns by trying different things.

I agree, I've been trying them all out, but I'm struggling to see as big a difference this year as last.

All round, I much prefer this match engine, I think it's the best version so far by a long way.

But I'm having to re-learn what each role will do in my tactic. For example, I'm playing a standard 433 at the moment. On one side of the pitch, I have an IW(s) and Mez(a). Last year, I found that they would swap positions regularly--IW coming inside, and Mez floating outside. This year, when the Mez moves up into the AM strata, the IW stays wide, and the Mez sticks to the middle. So I'm struggling to work out the practical difference in my tactic between a Mez(a), a CM(a), or even a BBM. Also I don't see a huge difference between the IW(s) and W(s). Might just come down to watching more of the game to see slightly more subtle differences this year.

2 hours ago, ryandormer said:

Also I don't see a huge difference between the IW(s) and W(s)

For one game change your Mez to a CM on support for example and you will see that the IW will go inside. When there is someone already in the space your IW will remain wide until the space is vacated while the winger will always stay wide unless you ask him to cut inside 

• SI Staff
18 hours ago, matty2323 said:

If you play a 4-2-3-1 with DM’s and one of them (LCDM) is a Segundo Volante for example, when he rotates up to the AMCL area your AMC will rotate horizontally to the AMCR area. 

58 minutes ago, Jack Sarahs said:

If you play a 4-2-3-1 with DM’s and one of them (LCDM) is a Segundo Volante for example, when he rotates up to the AMCL area your AMC will rotate horizontally to the AMCR area. 

That is exactly what I am experiencing with my 4-2-3-1. My VOL(a) occupies the left half space and my AM(s) slides over to the right half space.

1 hour ago, CRN711 said:

I want my team to attack and defend like :

image.png.5feee407dbf2c72ad285b646915549c0.pngimage.png.0875c6f87c3cf94bb2c34537a744bcb1.png

I tried this 

image.png.9b0227d28890c07636a434961cd20ca7.png

But the WPs doesn't come in the center of the field enough when attacking. 

Any tips ? 

Inverted Winger (A) if you are trying to get them to focus more on runs-on-goal and scoring. 

Inverted Winger (S) if you are trying to get them to play a more creative role and stick more in the space between the lines. 

Inverted Winger (S) with get further forward if you want a bit of both. 

I would also recommend having them sitting narrower to allow more space for the Wingbacks to rush up on the flank.

If you need to push them further inside, you can also try to add roam from position and switching the Complete Wingbacks to just Wingbacks on attack. That will hardcode the Wingbacks to the flank, as Complete Wingbacks will roam inside sometimes. And if your Inverted Wingers are also roaming, that can actually cause them to move outside to make room for the Complete Wingback making an odd run through the middle. That said, if you have the players for it, you might want that sort of variation in your attack to make it more unpredictable. 

Edited by VinceLombardi

2 hours ago, CRN711 said:

I want my team to attack and defend like :

image.png.5feee407dbf2c72ad285b646915549c0.pngimage.png.0875c6f87c3cf94bb2c34537a744bcb1.png

I tried this 

image.png.9b0227d28890c07636a434961cd20ca7.png

But the WPs doesn't come in the center of the field enough when attacking. 

Any tips ? 

Have all your mids push up with attack duties and use IWBs to form the double pivot?

4 hours ago, vrig said:

Have all your mids push up with attack duties and use IWBs to form the double pivot?

Double Volante on Attack Duty  Iwb on support to occupy the midfield as a pivot I wouldn't use WCB though. and W-A duty would be better than Wide playmakers imho 

@VinceLombardi Thanks for your answer! I changed the CWB to WB-A, WP to IW-S with Get Further Forward/Sit Narrower/Roam from position, and changed the VOL back to BWM as I tought the VOL would move to AM spot instead of one of the IW.

image.png.91cf0a9a313da1845ef54ecf3bbfec34.png

Played a few games but still the same issue in the build up, the IW are too wide therefore my players don't always have the right passing opportunity and lose the ball. 

image.png.dc9140cab767ec66f8bde7e4f8c9967f.png

I only saw then going narrower enough one time in the build up :

image.png.ef780656c8d44fa911fe3063a0f6e254.png

Will try to make them IW-A but I don't think it will solve this issue.

I have to say that even if we don't play the way I want, we are not playing -so- badly. In some games we struggle to create really good opportunities but in the last 10 games we lost 2 (against PSG and Sevilla), drew 3 and won 5 (including game against Monaco, Porto and Lille). 

@vrig @Amarante Saldy I don't have the players to play with IWB. 

1 hour ago, CRN711 said:

@VinceLombardi Thanks for your answer! I changed the CWB to WB-A, WP to IW-S with Get Further Forward/Sit Narrower/Roam from position, and changed the VOL back to BWM as I tought the VOL would move to AM spot instead of one of the IW.

image.png.91cf0a9a313da1845ef54ecf3bbfec34.png

Played a few games but still the same issue in the build up, the IW are too wide therefore my players don't always have the right passing opportunity and lose the ball. 

image.png.dc9140cab767ec66f8bde7e4f8c9967f.png

I only saw then going narrower enough one time in the build up :

image.png.ef780656c8d44fa911fe3063a0f6e254.png

Will try to make them IW-A but I don't think it will solve this issue.

I have to say that even if we don't play the way I want, we are not playing -so- badly. In some games we struggle to create really good opportunities but in the last 10 games we lost 2 (against PSG and Sevilla), drew 3 and won 5 (including game against Monaco, Porto and Lille). 

@vrig @Amarante Saldy I don't have the players to play with IWB. 

On the team instruction side, do you have the team to attack narrow? Can you make it more narrow or do you have it maxed?

Also one thing to remember about rotations is that they depend on where you are on the pitch. They don't immediately make the rotation when you recover possession. Early in the buildup, your wide players are going to stay wide. They typically won't come central until the transition from the middle third into that attacking third.

If you want them central throughout the buildup, then you might want to consider moving them into the MCL & MCR strata and then using man marking instructions to give them specific defensive instructions to get them where you need them on defense. This will cause them to move central from their defensive assignments immediately when you recover possession. (Note that if you do this, you might actually have to reverse to narrow instructions above to playing wide to get some of your width back.)

Another option is to tick the team instructions to attack on both the right and left flanks. This instruction doesn't actually tell your players where to go with the ball, rather it increases the attacking mentality of the player on the effected flank. This could get those players to get inside quicker in the middle third, but it's also going to make those Wingbacks more aggressive, so you might want to tone them back down to WB(S) w/gets further forward to offset it if it's too much.

These last 2 options are definitely big changes though and will have knock-on effects to other players and the team as whole. That may or may not be a good thing and definitely will require observation and further tweaks. Also expect that further game patches are likely to effect AI some too, so you might want to give it until mid November or so before you really sink a huge amount of time/effort into perfecting it.

(Also note that player traits could have significant effects here and have not really been discussed. Specifically, something like "moves into channels" would be have a very large effect on the final movement which is why sometimes the player itself is as important as the instructions.)

Edited by VinceLombardi

2 hours ago, CRN711 said:

Saldy I don't have the players to play with IWB. 

Ignore positions just look at attributes. FM is a game of numbers and if you have players that have the attributes regardless of their position they will work there

13 hours ago, Amarante said:

Ignore positions just look at attributes. FM is a game of numbers and if you have players that have the attributes regardless of their position they will work there

This :hammer:

DMs can make great IWBs and LIBs.

13 hours ago, Amarante said:

This is such a wildly underrated part of the game. I've used natural strikers in CM before because of attributes. "A Game of Numbers" is exactly the best way to describe FM.

If you want to give all of your players less freedom to improvise or ignore instructions then isn't the Team Instruction "Be More Disciplined" basically the same as saying "Do what I tell you"?

I'm guessing that each player's teamwork and decisions stats might impact how closely they follow that, but I often use that instruction when playing around with tactics.