Transferring FM23 Save to FM24

Weston

Is this true? I can't tell when FM is releasing new features through influencers etc. or when 3rd party accounts are just starting rumors.

If so, how does it work? I'm not seeing any info on it anywhere.

For example, will this bypass existing bugs in the FM23 platform? I stopped playing FM23 after it scheduled my cup final during the international break. Seeing half my team gone because of such a longstanding bug just killed my desire to play the game entirely, but I could be interested in reviving that save with FM24 if this is a real feature and the new edition finally solves these sorts of problems.

12 minutes ago, Emozil said:

Oh nice, thanks for sending.

I wonder how it works with mods etc. I used a few custom databases, for example.

15 minutes ago, Weston said:

Oh nice, thanks for sending.

I wonder how it works with mods etc. I used a few custom databases, for example.

I think they're stored in the save game, so you should be fine. Key word there being should!

This is the ONLY reason I'll consider buying FM24. It seems that the upgrades will be quite minor, but I'll pay for them if I can continue my FM23 save. I started at level 15 in a Scottish mod. It generally takes about six months for fans to create such in-depth league add-ons for the more obscure leagues, so it will be a huge time-saver if I can carry it over.

28 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

Have we had any information about that?

in the first blog post where the announced that you could carry over your save they specifically said "It’s also the plan to bring saved games from FM24 into FM25, despite the big changes coming for FM25" they were specific in mentioning FM24 and FM25 which makes it seem like it is only going to be from one year to the other. Also if you read down the main reason they are doing it is for those that play on game pass since once the new game comes out, they can no longer sell the older one legally so they disappear and you remain stuck with just your game files and no way to play them. (SI didn't give this explanation but that is basically the reason but I could be wrong)

4 hours ago, DarJ said:

the main reason they are doing it is for those that play on game pass since once the new game comes out, they can no longer sell the older one legally so they disappear and you remain stuck with just your game files and no way to play them

Wow, that sounds awful. Didn't really understand why people were so adamant that they wanted to carry saves over to newer versions until reading that, what a terrible model.

I assumed SI was just doing this to pick up some extra revenue from the folks who skip a version to keep playing a save from a prior one, encouraging them to buy anyway.

4 hours ago, DarJ said:

in the first blog post where the announced that you could carry over your save they specifically said "It’s also the plan to bring saved games from FM24 into FM25, despite the big changes coming for FM25" they were specific in mentioning FM24 and FM25 which makes it seem like it is only going to be from one year to the other. Also if you read down the main reason they are doing it is for those that play on game pass since once the new game comes out, they can no longer sell the older one legally so they disappear and you remain stuck with just your game files and no way to play them. (SI didn't give this explanation but that is basically the reason but I could be wrong)

There have been requests for being able to load save games into the next version for many years. Gamepass might have added to the requests, but the request is way older than Gamepass.

24 minutes ago, Wolf_pd said:

There have been requests for being able to load save games into the next version for many years. Gamepass might have added to the requests, but the request is way older than Gamepass.

I know that but if you think about it there isn't much difference between FM22 and FM23 and although I don't know what they are doing to make the save files compatible but if it works for FM23 surely it should be able to work for FM22

8 hours ago, DarJ said:

Actually they kind of did. Or at least list it as a benefit:

This is especially good for those playing via Game Pass and Apple Arcade who, by subscribing to those platforms, would lose access to their career shortly after the new game is released.

Is there any reason NOT to start a new save on FM23?

I mean if it carries over the FM24 and keeps all of the new games features I can’t see any reason not to start a new save unless I’m missing something?

Fully intend to buy 24 as I always do every year.

This feature really appeals to me. I usually stop playing the current version when the new features are revealed for the annual new game because my heart's no longer in it, this year I've got my team playing some beautiful football and will definitely carry it over and see how it does in the new game.  

21 hours ago, sufcdan said:

Is there any reason NOT to start a new save on FM23?

I mean if it carries over the FM24 and keeps all of the new games features I can’t see any reason not to start a new save unless I’m missing something?

Fully intend to buy 24 as I always do every year.

I’m not sure everything will work for example if there are rules in the league you’re playing that is changing in FM24 I don’t think you’ll have that rule change unless you start a game in FM24. If you’re in the middle of a save some changes will only happen when the new season kicks in. At least that is how it has been carrying over your beta save to the full game or your old save into the winter update.

On 16/09/2023 at 13:59, Weston said:

Wow, that sounds awful. Didn't really understand why people were so adamant that they wanted to carry saves over to newer versions until reading that, what a terrible model.

I assumed SI was just doing this to pick up some extra revenue from the folks who skip a version to keep playing a save from a prior one, encouraging them to buy anyway.

I mean, people could have worked around this by buying their own copy of the game and use it for however long they liked. How many Gamepass users would've bought Gamepass simply because of FM being on it, rather than already having it and essentially getting FM for no extra cost.

On 16/09/2023 at 17:51, gunner86 said:

Actually they kind of did. Or at least list it as a benefit:

I don't think the Game Pass subscribers are the specific reason this feature has been added.  It's something which has been requested for years.  

Just now, kevhamster said:

I don't think the Game Pass subscribers are the specific reason this feature has been added.  It's something which has been requested for years.  

No, I get that. But I think it adds more justification for making it work, particularly with the rise of people gaming in that way. It’s possibly tipped the scales in the cost benefit analysis.

On 16/09/2023 at 08:18, Wolf_pd said:

I've been wanting this feature since early-mid 90s!    I get invested in a save, and as I play games out fully (no highlights), 20 seasons in a year is pushing it....and I often don't complete my goals in only 20 years.

being able to transfer to the next version and continue my save will be absolutely wonderful!  I can finally potentially complete some of these obscure challenges :)

On 18/09/2023 at 03:14, DarJ said:

I’m not sure everything will work for example if there are rules in the league you’re playing that is changing in FM24 I don’t think you’ll have that rule change unless you start a game in FM24. If you’re in the middle of a save some changes will only happen when the new season kicks in. At least that is how it has been carrying over your beta save to the full game or your old save into the winter update.

Yes, I'm very interested in learning more specifics of how it actually works, what the potential pitfalls might be, and how they might be worked around.

If anyone finds any updated guide to this feature with a more in-depth breakdown, please post it here.

3 hours ago, Weston said:

Yes, I'm very interested in learning more specifics of how it actually works, what the potential pitfalls might be, and how they might be worked around.

If anyone finds any updated guide to this feature with a more in-depth breakdown, please post it here.

I think it will work, and this is why. If you start a save with a lot of different files, extra leagues, etc, and you upload that save to someone else and they load it up, everything works, even if they don't have the files or leagues. So it seems to me that this is all located in the save-file itself. And if that's true, then I think it should work transferring it to FM24, after all, everything is in there.

I do suspect that the league rules from creation time will be kept, so if there are any league changes in FM24, I suspect those won't be available, but that would be the same as starting a save on vanilla FM23, vs the update database 23.3 or something.

This is just my guess for it, though, as I don't think any deep breakdown has been given by SI yet.

On 16/09/2023 at 20:59, Weston said:

If i am not mistaken on Gamepass once a new edition of FM is out you can't play the old one.  Carry saves over has also been a feature request for many people. So the feature in itself is a win win for many people

On 15/09/2023 at 23:46, phnompenhandy said:

This is the ONLY reason I'll consider buying FM24. It seems that the upgrades will be quite minor, but I'll pay for them if I can continue my FM23 save. I started at level 15 in a Scottish mod. It generally takes about six months for fans to create such in-depth league add-ons for the more obscure leagues, so it will be a huge time-saver if I can carry it over.

Where do I find this mod I find it interesting

18 hours ago, XaW said:

I think it will work, and this is why. If you start a save with a lot of different files, extra leagues, etc, and you upload that save to someone else and they load it up, everything works, even if they don't have the files or leagues. So it seems to me that this is all located in the save-file itself. And if that's true, then I think it should work transferring it to FM24, after all, everything is in there.

I do suspect that the league rules from creation time will be kept, so if there are any league changes in FM24, I suspect those won't be available, but that would be the same as starting a save on vanilla FM23, vs the update database 23.3 or something.

This is just my guess for it, though, as I don't think any deep breakdown has been given by SI yet.

All league rules are also stored in the game save file.

That's why you can add/remove league during the game without keeping those editor files.

10 minutes ago, Kickballz said:

I can't see why this is being seen as a positive.

We know SI are working hard to make fm 25 a huge step forward, but this show fm 24 is a patched 23. how do they justify the price?

They freely admitted FM24 is what FM23 should've been.

If you can't justify the price, don't buy it...

7 minutes ago, Scotty Walds said:

They freely admitted FM24 is what FM23 should've been.

If you can't justify the price, don't buy it...

I will buy it. I always do.

Need the fm fix.. are you seriously suggesting I can go without?

Edited by Kickballz

• 3 weeks later...
On 20/09/2023 at 08:04, XaW said:

That's what I wanted to hear! Then ill start a save this week! Normally I don't play FM when details about the new version is online and almost released. Thanks for your explanation 

Interesting topic, my questions would be:

- I assume player stats remain as per fm23, so one benefit of a new save might be better player stats (i.e many Ipswich players seemed low and now they are proving to be a decent championship side they might be increased for fm24)

- Assume the above is for ALL players, not just your own team.  Again it would be a save keeps stats from the old game, which might not be ideal I guess but would also be odd if they suddenly changed alot mid-save

- Stadium expansion potential might be tweked in Fm24, but will it remain the Fm23 fixed numbers?

- Sponsorship, I assume this would again carry from ther Fm23 save, but IMO when I played as Wrexham the commerical side seemed well under priced in FM23 so might be higher in Fm24, another reason for a new save.

I guess it gives players a nice option for sure, I really like this feature.  Think I'll try and do a new save though due to the above points.  

33 minutes ago, mrdanbartlett said:

Interesting topic, my questions would be:

- I assume player stats remain as per fm23, so one benefit of a new save might be better player stats (i.e many Ipswich players seemed low and now they are proving to be a decent championship side they might be increased for fm24)

- Assume the above is for ALL players, not just your own team.  Again it would be a save keeps stats from the old game, which might not be ideal I guess but would also be odd if they suddenly changed alot mid-save

- Stadium expansion potential might be tweked in Fm24, but will it remain the Fm23 fixed numbers?

- Sponsorship, I assume this would again carry from ther Fm23 save, but IMO when I played as Wrexham the commerical side seemed well under priced in FM23 so might be higher in Fm24, another reason for a new save.

I guess it gives players a nice option for sure, I really like this feature.  Think I'll try and do a new save though due to the above points.  

Your game database will carry across in its entirety from FM23 - so player historys, CA/PA etc.  So, your all the players and staff in your FM23 world will enter FM24 in the exact state they were at the point you saved the game last in FM23.

As I understand, the only thing that won't carry across is the match highlights, goals etc.  So you won't able to load any matches played in FM23 to see the goals etc, once the save has been loaded into FM24.

I'm curious if there's anything hidden behind the scenes that you might miss out on like certain attributes or ways the game calculates player behavior. I think when OOTP does this they say starting a new game will give you the full experience as some attributes are disabled or not used and may affect how the game is played. It doesn't seem like 24 will have much difference but curious if 25 would. 

Shame I already abandoned my save for 23 though. Put it in the recycle bin and apparently emptied it recently. Oh well.

Edited by wazzaflow10

42 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

Your game database will carry across in its entirety from FM23 - so player historys, CA/PA etc.  So, your all the players and staff in your FM23 world will enter FM24 in the exact state they were at the point you saved the game last in FM23.

As I understand, the only thing that won't carry across is the match highlights, goals etc.  So you won't able to load any matches played in FM23 to see the goals etc, once the save has been loaded into FM24.

Thank you, very helpful - and makes alot of sense.  I was in a Wrexham save, early in League 1 ........might as well start over as at least its 1 less promotion to catch up on now :D

27 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

Is this just guesswork or is it backed by anything concrete?  I have a file editing hundreds of stadiums, which I spent hours on, and if I can just load up my game and it's all in FM24 that would be amazing!

8 minutes ago, priority76 said:

Is this just guesswork or is it backed by anything concrete?  I have a file editing hundreds of stadiums, which I spent hours on, and if I can just load up my game and it's all in FM24 that would be amazing!

There's a bit of reading between the lines there on my part, but that's based on the info that SI have given out about the feature.  The bit about the highlights from games played in FM23 not carrying across has been confirmed by SI.

2 hours ago, priority76 said:

I'm pretty sure custom leagues will be transferred. I think it will work in the same way as if you created a save with custom leagues and uploaded it somewhere and I downloaded it and loaded the save. I would be able to play it as much as I wanted without having the files you used when you loaded it because that's already embedded in the save file itself. So I imagine all of the "database stuff", like players, staff, attributes, league rules, etc, will be as they are in your save now, but you'll gain the functionality and the match engine of FM24. This is me speculating though, so don't take it as gospel, I just think this is how I've perceived the functionality though the blog and videos.

38 minutes ago, XaW said:

I'm pretty sure custom leagues will be transferred. I think it will work in the same way as if you created a save with custom leagues and uploaded it somewhere and I downloaded it and loaded the save. I would be able to play it as much as I wanted without having the files you used when you loaded it because that's already embedded in the save file itself. So I imagine all of the "database stuff", like players, staff, attributes, league rules, etc, will be as they are in your save now, but you'll gain the functionality and the match engine of FM24. This is me speculating though, so don't take it as gospel, I just think this is how I've perceived the functionality though the blog and videos.

Yeah I suppose so.  Sounds very promising.  I'm wondering what would happen if you set up a game on FM23 and immediately transfer it to FM24.  Would you be going back in time and playing through season 22/23 again?  I guess we won't know until we try.

12 minutes ago, priority76 said:

Yeah I suppose so.  Sounds very promising.  I'm wondering what would happen if you set up a game on FM23 and immediately transfer it to FM24.  Would you be going back in time and playing through season 22/23 again?  I guess we won't know until we try.

I would assume so, but who knows. I guess someone will try shortly after the beta is released! :) 

36 minutes ago, priority76 said:

I'm creating FM23 save starts with different parameters/leagues loaded/mods for this very thing. Convert to 24 upon release and then convert to 25 when that happens. 

What I don't understand is how the new features will work. When you last save fm23 there is no set play coach. No intermediaries to sell players and so on. Will they just appear when you fire it back up using fm24 ?

1 hour ago, Andy1979 said:

What I don't understand is how the new features will work. When you last save fm23 there is no set play coach. No intermediaries to sell players and so on. Will they just appear when you fire it back up using fm24 ?

Well, they won't be part of your backroom staff, but you can begin to hire them once you move over to FM24. 

2 hours ago, priority76 said:

Good question. You would expect the game to continue where you 'left' FM23. Otherwise it would have to simulate the period in between and what does it mean for your employment in the meantime.

If it works like that, that you can start with the FM23 startdate in FM24, I wonder what it would mean if you try a next savegame into FM25. Would it mean you won't have women's football for instance since that is in the new database and not in FM23 or FM24. Would be interesting to see if you lose part of the game features that way.

14 hours ago, KingBuzzo15 said:

I was wondering if tactics carry across as well?

Everything carries across.  Whether your tactics will be any good on FM24 match engine is another matter........

Edited by Brother Ben