How many saves do you have going simultaneously?

Hi,

I'm wondering if there are people who play multiple saves instead of having just one at a time?

I would like to taste a save in different European leagues this year. My original plan was to have one save with multiple managers but I'm worried about game performance and any issues that could occur during such a non-standard save. So, I've decided to play only one team but have multiple saves instead.

How do you manage different saves?

Just one. Playing FM21 since release. Cork City. I am in 2067 now. Ten years ago I won my first CL, and also since a long long time in real life. Such an achievement after 1200 hours. Decided to quit at my peak, but yeah, FM is addicting. So I went a couple of years further. Still going. 58 was a bad year in the CL, but we won the EL. Furthermore we won the CL in 2063 & 65 as well. A Club World Cup in 61. Three SuperCups in 57, 63 and 65. Winning the Irish title every year. We are the richest club in the world. We are number 1 in Europe and World. Irish league is now sitting at 8th place. Just behind the Eredivise. I can say all these hours make it worth. Still wish I could upload this save to FM22, then FM23, FM24, etc. Would be one of the biggest features for diehard long term managers. ps. Have played Cork before in 2014 and 2017, but never reached this highs as in this save. I remember losing 2 CL and 1 EL in FM17.. 3 times against Man Utd...

Edited by RinusFM

1 hour ago, gggfunk said:

Why?

That was back during the pandemic.  Those were dark times, my friend.  I had a save for every day of the week, and played the game for like 8 to 10 hours a day.

It's more fun if you slow things down, focus on one save, and get deep into the story.

I only ever have 1 that I “play” going at a time. By that I mean that I take the game at face value, don’t try cheating the transfer market, let the AI staff make  decisions for me, etc. 

If I need to learn something new about a league, I might load it up in an independent save to get a feel for it first. it took me a while to fully understand the MLS roster rules, for example. 

5 hours ago, bielsadidnothingwrong said:

it took me a while to fully understand the MLS roster rules, for example. 

As an American, I can only commend you on your patience.  I don't think I'm ever going to have an MLS save in FM.

2 hours ago, Daniel Evensen said:

As an American, I can only commend you on your patience.  I don't think I'm ever going to have an MLS save in FM.

It’s actually pretty fun despite the flaws. I like the roster restrictions and I feel like it’s helped me manage finances in European leagues better because it kinda forces me to seriously consider salary structure and playing time. 

But, like I said, it took a while and the game doesn’t do a good job at explaining things for you. 

1. I like to be fully immersed in the game world, having multiple saves with different teams doing well and different newgen players would just confuse everything. Typically only 1 save every 2 years too. So I likely won't start a new save until FM25 releases. Potentially FM24 if the AFC changes are included, but I have serious doubts about SI implementing them for FM24.

On 16/03/2023 at 19:10, gggfunk said:

My original plan was to have one save with multiple managers but I'm worried about game performance and any issues that could occur during such a non-standard save.

It doesn't really affect game performance. Having more leagues running does, but multiple managers without any extra leagues shouldn't make a difference.

There's only 1 issue I've noticed with having multiple managers. If you have games too close together, ie. if the 1st manager doesn't do their post-match press conference after finishing a match before the 2nd manager's match starts, it locks the game up, that only happens when the matchs are close together, eg. 1st manager has a game at 4pm and the 2nd manager has one at 5:30pm. Easily avoided if you save before every match (which you should probably do anyway!), since re-loading the save makes you do the post-match press conference so then the 2nd manager's match no longer has an issue and can go ahead.

It's pretty rare, since matches that are very close are just played at the same time, and matches that aren't that close can't cause the issue, and easily avoided due to saving/re-loading, so it's not much of an issue though. IIRC there's an option in preferences to prevent matches being moved for TV times (IIRC it's intended for multiplayer games so all managers have their matches at the same time) which should completely eliminate the issue too.

54 minutes ago, rusty217 said:

It doesn't really affect game performance. Having more leagues running does, but multiple managers without any extra leagues shouldn't make a difference.

There's only 1 issue I've noticed with having multiple managers. If you have games too close together, ie. if the 1st manager doesn't do their post-match press conference after finishing a match before the 2nd manager's match starts, it locks the game up, that only happens when the matchs are close together, eg. 1st manager has a game at 4pm and the 2nd manager has one at 5:30pm. Easily avoided if you save before every match (which you should probably do anyway!), since re-loading the save makes you do the post-match press conference so then the 2nd manager's match no longer has an issue and can go ahead.

It's pretty rare, since matches that are very close are just played at the same time, and matches that aren't that close can't cause the issue, and easily avoided due to saving/re-loading, so it's not much of an issue though. IIRC there's an option in preferences to prevent matches being moved for TV times (IIRC it's intended for multiplayer games so all managers have their matches at the same time) which should completely eliminate the issue too.

thanks for explaining! After reading this I may actually give it another try and focus on one big save with multiple managers! How far in your save you are and how many teams you play with?

53 minutes ago, gggfunk said:

thanks for explaining! After reading this I may actually give it another try and focus on one big save with multiple managers! How far in your save you are and how many teams you play with?

I'm only in Feb 2024. I'm certainly not a great example though. I'm managing 21 teams so every week has lots of matches and takes awhile. I'm also running around 130 leagues in 117 different nations so my game runs SLOW!

FM is mostly a background game for me though, I'll play it simultaneously with doing other stuff, eg. watching football, cooking or even playing other games on my main PC so I don't mind that it takes awhile to process each day.

On 20/03/2023 at 13:05, rusty217 said:

I'm only in Feb 2024. I'm certainly not a great example though. I'm managing 21 teams so every week has lots of matches and takes awhile. I'm also running around 130 leagues in 117 different nations so my game runs SLOW!

FM is mostly a background game for me though, I'll play it simultaneously with doing other stuff, eg. watching football, cooking or even playing other games on my main PC so I don't mind that it takes awhile to process each day.

21 teams!!!

Who are you managing? 

11 hours ago, oche balboa said:

21 teams!!!

Who are you managing? 

Truro City, Birmingham City, Borussia Dortmund, Dynamo Dresden, Palermo, Bristol City, Newcastle United, AS Saint-Etienne, Anderlecht, Sao Paulo, Penarol, Atletico Medellin, AIK, Union Berlin, Partizan, Persepolis, Sevilla, Dynamo Berlin, Olympique Marrakech, Winchester City & Santos.

10 hours ago, rusty217 said:

Truro City, Birmingham City, Borussia Dortmund, Dynamo Dresden, Palermo, Bristol City, Newcastle United, AS Saint-Etienne, Anderlecht, Sao Paulo, Penarol, Atletico Medellin, AIK, Union Berlin, Partizan, Persepolis, Sevilla, Dynamo Berlin, Olympique Marrakech, Winchester City & Santos.

Impressive. Do you set rules that you can't transfer between the two? 

1 hour ago, oche balboa said:

Impressive. Do you set rules that you can't transfer between the two? 

Nope, no such rules. There haven't been any yet anyway though. A lot of those teams are too far apart in level/finances for transfers to even be possible.

I do set goals to achieve though. eg. I want one of my Brazilian managers to try to win the Copa Libertadores with as many teams as possible, so as soon as I win it I'll try and find a new job in South America ASAP, and I want the other to move on to the Brazilian national team when that job becomes available. I want my Uruguayan manager to win the Libertadores with a Uruguayan team (gonna be hard with the massive financial gap between Uruguay and Brazil) before moving on to Europe (most likely Spain). I want my Moroccan manager to lead Marrakech into the African Super League (I competition I created based on the proposed format IRL, Marrakech are a 3rd tier amateur team though, so it's gonna be quite a job to get them to that level). And so on.

Only one save at a time, usually as a journeyman.

Over the year, I may have started a few saves, but never play them simultaneously. Each save lasts between 3 and 6 months, I'd guess.

I'd like to stick to one save per FM version, but I don't like newgens much, so I end up back to starting a new save with the real players database.

Edited by phd_angel

56 minutes ago, Gee_Simpson said:

Why's that? Genuine question btw, I'm just curious.

Newgens are newly generated players (often with cartoon faces). Regens are regenerated players, after they retire their profile may reappear somewhere in the game. Once real players retire after 20 seasons, all you have is these artificial players. I'm not a big fan of fake players, but some people don't mind it.

4 hours ago, phd_angel said:

Newgens are newly generated players (often with cartoon faces). Regens are regenerated players, after they retire their profile may reappear somewhere in the game. Once real players retire after 20 seasons, all you have is these artificial players. I'm not a big fan of fake players, but some people don't mind it.

Solid argument. I really like the game when newgans began to emerge. Scouting the talents, mold them into great players. Zealands Newgan pack + program helps a lot too. I really can get attached to these fake people.

13 minutes ago, RinusFM said:

Solid argument. I really like the game when newgans began to emerge. Scouting the talents, mold them into great players. Zealands Newgan pack + program helps a lot too. I really can get attached to these fake people.

Yeah, I agree with you.  I love the newgens.  I'm actually looking forward to a long save with the Around The Globe Megapack once my current save ends, trying to play only with newgens for the duration...

Well, i have a string of saves but for only 1 Team, i save after every match automatically bcs FM takes to long to replay weeks in a case if a crash which happens rarely to me but is the more upsetting and the more i would have to replay the less it would be the "original" save to the point were the crash happened and i really dont like that to the point i would rather beginn a new save instead of going forward.

So in regard to your question i guess 1 save is the right answer - i never play 2 teams the same time and in the past i did some Nationalteam management but it really is cumbersome and unrewarding the way it plays so i stopped it and play only my club football.

Edited by Etebaer

23 hours ago, RinusFM said:

Newgens are more of a challenge to manage as they can have negative personalities unlike real ones

I like newgens because, obviously, I don’t know them. My problem with real players that I know of is that my attitude to them is always reflected by my real life prejudices. This keeps me well away from the Premier League at least until the middle 2030s.

On 24/03/2023 at 14:01, rusty217 said:

Nope, no such rules. There haven't been any yet anyway though. A lot of those teams are too far apart in level/finances for transfers to even be possible.

I do set goals to achieve though. eg. I want one of my Brazilian managers to try to win the Copa Libertadores with as many teams as possible, so as soon as I win it I'll try and find a new job in South America ASAP, and I want the other to move on to the Brazilian national team when that job becomes available. I want my Uruguayan manager to win the Libertadores with a Uruguayan team (gonna be hard with the massive financial gap between Uruguay and Brazil) before moving on to Europe (most likely Spain). I want my Moroccan manager to lead Marrakech into the African Super League (I competition I created based on the proposed format IRL, Marrakech are a 3rd tier amateur team though, so it's gonna be quite a job to get them to that level). And so on.

Admire the way you go about things on FM....keep going 

One save for me. I tried two saves once but I started to mix the two saves in my head. I ended up in situations where I allowed to let my star striker go because I had my eye on a young Serbian player and I knew I had the resources to buy him. Only problem was that said Serbian player was a newgen in my other save. 

Edited by fmonit

I have saves with teams in each of the top leagues + Holland and Belgium.

I feel like playing with different teams on different days. Sometimes I'll want a team where I'm challenging in Europe, or sometimes I feel like a lower division team, or strong youth etc.

But I'll only ever be invested in 1 or 2 of those saves. For example, I recently finished first season with Leverkusen, then had a break from it and did Middlesbrough. 

Now I'm looking for one of my other saves to hook me in...

• 8 months later...

I have always played the single save ever since beginning this love affair with CM and FM in the mid 90's. But with the ability from now on to transfer saves I think it will change the way i play the game. I've transferred over my Foggia save from FM 23 to FM 24 and that is on the backburner for now. I am going to watch RSC Anderlecht play Union Saint-Gilloise at the end of January so naturally I want to start a save with them. I also want a british LLM save going too so yesterday I started one up with Boston United in the National League North, try and get them back to the football league eventually. And finally I would like to crack on with an Americas save (North, Central or South America). Had a few ideas but just found out Santos have been relegated from the Serie A for the first time in their history so i may wait until FM 25 and crack on with them then. So 4 saves concurrently every year which i intend to play for a 2 year period, around 10 seasons each save before moving on to fresh ones. This is the plan anyway. I'll see how it goes. Sometimes you just want something different and in recent years I seem to swap between games in general (have around 30+ installed on desktop). You don't know how your going to feel on a  certain day so one day you might fancy a bit of LLM, another day you might want to have a crack at the Copa Libertadores or Liga MX Title, bring back a fallen giant like Hamburg or Saint-Etienne etc. That's the way it is with me. Choice paralysis! The modern world. We shouldn't complain...

Edited by Jamie2k

Only 1 save at a time and usually run that until the next FM version I buy. 

ny current is the 2nd ive done on FM24 tho, my 1st was the betasave but I abandoned that one. 

im currently managing Real Zaragoza; I have somewhat of a fetish for that club, theyve won copa del rey 4 times, la liga a few times, even played some european ball in early 00’s. They are a pretty historic Spanish club w an amazing fanbase and stadium, but has fallen in tough times recently. 

anyway I live in spain and my family is spanish, but im actually from Miami, well Real Zaragoza was purchased by the Mas Brothers 2 years ago, they are also the owners and presidents (alongside Becks) of Inter Miami. They Mas family are very respected and loved in South Florida/Miami culture. So it only made sense id take over their Zaragoza project. 

Each year I spend roughly equal time on Barcelona, Liverpool and Milan (my three childhood teams, which gives you a clue as to how old I am!). I probably have around 5 saves for each during the year, with each save pursuing a particular reality (eg only UK&I for Liverpool, must sign three Dutch stars for Milan, only allowed free transfers or youth team for Barcelona) or recreating a particular player (Puyol, Maldini, the real Ronaldo). I spend nearly as much time in the pre-game editor as I do in the game. Saves rarely progress past 3 or 4 seasons because by then I have lost control of the narrative I had in mind.

Hard to imagine a more different approach than most of the other people in this thread :lol::idiot:!