Are they purposely adding more injury time on this World Cup?

Harryseaess

Excessive time being added?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Excessive time being added?

3.5 games in and we've had:

Qatar Ecuador
1st half - 5 mins
2nd half - 5 mins

England Iran
1st half - 14 mins (probably justified)
2nd half - 10 mins

Senegal Netherlands
1st half - 2 mins
2nd half - 8 mins

USA Wales
1st half - 4 mins

And if they are, why?

Edited by Harryseaess

10 minutes ago, Bootador said:

They're definitely doing it on purpose, and it's obviously a good thing. I doubt it carries to domestic football sadly.

The thing is, it doesn't seem to be based on anything. Appears completely random. There's no chance there has been 9 minutes of injuries, subs and timewasting in the second half of this game.

Just now, Harryseaess said:

The thing is, it doesn't seem to be based on anything. Appears completely random. There's no chance there has been 9 minutes of injuries, subs and timewasting in the second half of this game.

USA players have been going down loads! And now the Welsh too

11 minutes ago, Harryseaess said:

I think you’d be surprised. USA and Wales both wasted fair amount of time, was a few injuries and subs. It’s just that the officials never actually factor it in. 

3 minutes ago, PaulHartman71 said:

I think you’d be surprised. USA and Wales both wasted fair amount of time, was a few injuries and subs. It’s just that the officials never actually factor it in. 

Yeah I suppose the question is why have they chosen now to make the change to how they normally judge injury time?

I like it. Wish they did it throughout football - with an "added time" indicator that you could see growing throughout the half, both in the stadium (where possible) and on TV.

Shouldn't be a surprise at 90 mins how much extra time there is. We should see it accumulating.

On 21/11/2022 at 21:52, InigoPatinkin said:

Not the only thing they're artificially inflating by the sounds of it. 

THey actually mentioned that on the broadcast here. They had asked about it and the answer they got was that the attendance figures included everyone at the stadium, fans, team personnel, media, tournament staff, stadium staff, security and so on. Odd way of doing it and possibly (certainly) done to intentionally inflate the figure but at least there is some logic behind it. 

49 minutes ago, Mr Wallin said:

THey actually mentioned that on the broadcast here. They had asked about it and the answer they got was that the attendance figures included everyone at the stadium, fans, team personnel, media, tournament staff, stadium staff, security and so on. Odd way of doing it and possibly (certainly) done to intentionally inflate the figure but at least there is some logic behind it. 

Slightly different explanation given here. There are more seats for fans than they thought they could make available before, as fewer are needed for media etc. Only the fan seats are recorded.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/nov/22/qatar-world-cup-stadium-capacities-grow-overnight-empty-seats

• 3 weeks later...

The one thing I consistently notice as I watch games on TV and compare them to watching the FM engine play out games is .... timewasting.  (And bravo to the FM team for deciding that this is not something that needs to be recreated....)  The team needing a goal puts a striker in for a defender in the 82nd minute and it is done in a flash.  Then they get some momentum going and the universal response by the other coach is to decide that he absolutely needs to make a "key" substitution for the final 150 seconds, and make sure that by the time we are ready to play again we're already well into added time, since the ground must be properly kissed by both the outgoing player and the incoming player, and the fans must be properly appreciated one by one as the outgoing player, who has shown no signs of fatigue to this point, hobbles off like he suddenly has two broken legs, having magically run to the farthest area of the pitch before discovering he is coming off.  Then when five more minutes of the added time are suddenly lost, the referee usually ignores it and calls the half as soon as the original number on the board is reached.

So if they are finally trying to get serious about this, it's about 50 years after it should have happened, but still welcome.  In Mexico 1986 they actually decided the opposite, instructing officials to keep halves to 45 minutes unless it was abundantly obvious that time should be added.  It was, but they did not.  Too hot to play 35 minutes and waste the other 10 and then play 5 more!  Now, with five substitutions and enough people in the VAR rooms to monitor how much time teams are wasting, I am hoping that some timewasting team will pay dearly for their sins with the extra time they are forced to play.  Only that will make a dent in the kill-the-game strategy that has been perfected over the last half-century.

They got a widely positive reception to the added time and then a lot of referees just seemed to do away with it. I hope it is something that the FA look into for next season, I think a lot of fans have realised that more game time is a big win for them. There is hope for the stop clock after all.