Gahhh.. Press Conferences

Three seasons in, is anyone else bored witless by the pre and post match press conferences? They are so repetitive.

I know you can send Ass Man, but mine always says the wrong thing and messes up morale (have tried three different Ass Men). It'd be great to be able to switch them off.

At first I found them an interesting experience, taking the time to answer with my own responses (larger text field please!) but they've become increasingly repetitive and questions often fail to make sense with a particular set of responses. For press conferences to be more interesting the questions must be far, far more varied, that being my main grievance. You can of course send in the Ass Man but in the same vein of delegating him the duty of team talks, he's likely to mess things up. As for me, I seem to say the right things, but I just can't be bothered anymore.

I realize it's a new feature so it'll be subject to improvement, newly introduced features often take time to get right in Football Manager but at the moment I'm kind of wishing it was an option that wasn't there.

You cant switch them on in real life though!

True!

For press conferences to be more interesting the questions must be far, far more varied, that being my main grievance.

Yeh, far more varied and shorter too maybe. Or maybe you should be able to tell your Ass Man to always reply to certain questions in certain ways - i.e. always 'no comment' on transfer rumours, always 'look for sensible attacking play' when asked about tactics, etc.

I'd like the press conferences to be more varied. But also, I'd like the potential answers to actually relate to the question. So rather than "I agree strongly", "I somewhat agree", "no comment", "I disagree", "I strongly disagree" or whatever, I'd like the choices to be actual potential answers to the question. Just my preference, but I'd probably be less likely to send my Ass Man to do it all the time then.

I'd like the press conferences to be more varied. But also, I'd like the potential answers to actually relate to the question. So rather than "I agree strongly", "I somewhat agree", "no comment", "I disagree", "I strongly disagree" or whatever, I'd like the choices to be actual potential answers to the question. Just my preference, but I'd probably be less likely to send my Ass Man to do it all the time then.

I agree, I also think that the language barrier should play some part in it as well. Say for instance you manage in Italy and only speak English the effect of the press conference should be reflected by your lack of Italian

I agree, I also think that the language barrier should play some part in it as well. Say for instance you manage in Italy and only speak English the effect of the press conference should be reflected by your lack of Italian

I've thought that a few times, I like that suggestion. I've wondered if it should be harder to manage in a country where you don't speak the native tongue. I'd like to know if I can be as good as Schecond Choice Shteve McLaren when it comes to adapting to another country's language. ;)

I think there are some people in the editors forums who are trying to improve things there. But yeah they are really really (really really etc ;p) repetative.

Ive often thought SI need to hire a proffesional sports writer to spice up the media elements too, because a lot of them aren't just boring but really badly writen ... wait, am I agreeing or disagreeing with the questions premise? lol

They could also string together some responses for the post interview news item and make them in some (any) way resemble a news item. Instead they just pick a single question/answer and pretty much repeat it.

It's an interesting addition but badly needs some work. But considering the other media elements havent improved much in years I wouldnt hold my breath :)

Ive often thought SI need to hire a proffesional sports writer to spice up the media elements too, because a lot of them aren't just boring but really badly writen ... wait, am I agreeing or disagreeing with the questions premise? lol

I have to agree with that. Some of the writing is fairly poor in my opinion. Not just in the media pieces, but some of the news items as well (which I suppose is part of the same module).

They are a fluff feature that has had very little thought put into them. Just generic responses with little meaning. I started sending my assistant after about the third one with the same nonsense questions.

Well, I wouldn't quite agree with that. A lot of thought has gone into them, and the responses do have meaning in that these things can now come back to haunt you. My only issue is with the writing which is generic and, in some cases, resorts to fairly bizarre phraseology.

Another problem is that you answer around 10 questions, but only one answer affects the team's morale.

Thats a good job, if you send your assman to do it! Jesus, 10 morale sapping answers from him and i will have a squad full of manic depressive players contemplating suicide!

You cant switch them on in real life though! I totally agree matey, it only took me half a season to get bored of them mind ;)

Perhaps they should incorporate a "travel" feature into the game whereby if you play as West Ham and have to travel to Newcastle for a game there's a 7 hour wait whilst you travel? Remember - you can't "turn that off in real life" either...! *rolls eyes*

Three seasons in, is anyone else bored witless by the pre and post match press conferences? They are so repetitive.

I know you can send Ass Man, but mine always says the wrong thing and messes up morale (have tried three different Ass Men). It'd be great to be able to switch them off.

most of the time I leave the Press Conference to the Assistant, only take the "important" ones prior to matches with local rivals, or teams competing with mine for league positions, plus the cup games!

Most of the time the Assistant is ok (only 1.5 seasons in), a couple of times one or two players were upset, but mostly the players are okay, sometimes one or two are happier! :)

There is no "media handling" manager stat in the profile anymore, so it's hard to tell what your press conferences are doing anyway! :confused:

At the end of the year (late-December) it's best to take them yourself, as my guy just voted Wesley Sneijder as "Player of the Year" in Europe - had forgotten about the awards! :mad::D

I feel sorry for the devs that spent time sat at their desks like most of us are now, working away 9-5 implementing this feature. Whether they believed in it being a good addition or not, they had a job to do and they did it - but I've seen so very very little positive response to it being included.

I think most people will admit there is potential there, and some of the questions/answers were good and unique the first time they came up and I was like "ooh, which IS the strongest area of my team", there just really isn't enough variety, even over the course of one season there is far too much repetition, particularly of generic non-match related questions.

But the worse thing by far about the feature, is being asked questions where the answers don't make any sense, generic "I agree" responses to questions. The feature either needs to be really expanded, or dropped completely.

Or assistant managers just go in and say "no comment" to everything.

I think some of the "multiple" questions posed in the conference, are to give you a 50/50 chance of helping your players.

If a question comes around like "You seem unsure about...." in response to one of your answers, I think it is the games way of giving you a chance to give a GOOD response; obviously, if you don't answer well, it could work against you - but that is the idea of the press conferences!

either a good word will spur your players on, or a critical comment, or praise of the opposition, will work against you!

maybe work on it needs to be done, or tightened up a bit, but overall it's a useful addition - if you don't want to attend the press conferences, don't! send your Assistant - what else is he doing?!? :D

don't know why the "media handling" stat was removed from the manager profile though, surely this is a MUST in the real world, especially in top flight football! must be "hidden" now though, but i'd rather see how my press conferences were going! :(

Haven't noticed this thread when I wrote mine... so here goes my question

I was just wondering, as the press thingy is nice but repetitive, what is the effect of assigning your asst. Man to attend all of them?

Surely irl if a manager was acting like that, he could have some problems with his team and be destroyed by the newspapers... Is this represented in the game?

If sending your asst. man does not do that, what stats are important so that he does not destroy team morale etc?

Many thanks for your answers!

I have to say I agree with the general sentiments expressed above - it took me half a dozen press conferences before I wished for a "Joe Kinnear" option.

Additionally I was a bit disappointed with the realism: I know British tabloid journalism is staffed by junkyard dogs and snakes, but even they have limits. For instance, I don't think there is a manager alive who would talk about takeover talks, but three times in a row I was asked about it - and after storming out following the third time, the headline read "Shameful Schillachi!" when it might well have said "Vigilante Justice: Muckraking Bottomfeeder Hospitalised"

BTW the manual speaks of building relationships with journalists - what I'd like is a "Ferguson/Allardyce" option of blacklisting certain media outlets, and maybe private interviews with favoured journalists. But as @byss says, as a new feature these types of tweaks will be worked in over the next few versions...

so so bored now, has anybody actually seen any change in numbers attending the conferences, through 3 seasons with Fulham (although granted my biggest achievements will only be finishing 5th this season and Lge Cup semis), the numbers attending have neveer changed, hopefully this will change in Europe next season

I asked if we could have templates of the questions and answers, then lots of people write their own, they could be screened by whoever looks after this aspect of the gam and they could add the relevent effects, if they put it into a patch their would be hundreds of new questions/answers.

Press conferances in RL are repetitive, but you dont see people like Phil brown,Moyes or what have you going mad about same questions week in week out. its part of football, and this is a football managing game. so its totally derved for repetivieness, and so if you do an Alex Ferguson and decided to send your ass. man then its your own fault if he screws up :D

Press conferances in RL are repetitive, but you dont see people like Phil brown,Moyes or what have you going mad about same questions week in week out. its part of football, and this is a football managing game.

There is also lots of other boring stuff that has to be done as part of being a real life manager, doesn't mean it should all be incorporated into the game :)

And I think most people like the idea, just poor execution. In all the pre and post game press conferences in real life, they aren't constantly being asked "which area of your team do you feel is the strongest, please give a standard answer out of the following..."

It's more like filling out a questionnaire before each game than anythign else...

The worst question is this...

"last time out you lost 6-0 to Stoke. What effect do you think this will have on your players"

"I think it will be a massive lift to the team" etc...

In fact, none of the answers to that question make sense.

Edit: for the most part I'm still enjoying press conferences. Only just finished my first season though.

okay ill agree the wording is utter crud for the responces but it dosnt mean get rid permantly by disabling it, you cant in real life so why should you on this game, and dont say 'because its a game' its not :p to most people its more than a game as it gives you the most realistic chance you will get at managing a football team!

:D

The worst question is this...

Edit: for the most part I'm still enjoying press conferences. Only just finished my first season though.

in the third it's annoying ;)

once I had a question about the belgian cup that made me laugh. In this cup the first division teams enter in the sixth round and I was drafted against a team from the third division. The question was if them having played more games in the cup would give them the upperhand in the match. :D

Having pretty much finished with the unofficial English media source/journo add-on, I was now beginning to wonder how editable these comments (and responses...) are...

After my comment further up I looked in the editors forum and apparetly SI have upload a media comment editor but if you click on the link it isn't there. The commentary file is pretty simple to edit if someone will upload that for me, (haven't got the game yet) it is just a text file. Is there a file with media comments in?

The commentary one is the events file btw.

There is damienroden - there are quite a lot of them in fact. There's pretty much one for every occasion.

What I was thinking of was to quite simply double the number of questions by altering the existing wording - would still be the same question in most cases but at least it would add some variety. I wonder if this could also be linked into the personality of the journalist as well, so you could have say three instances of the same question, asked in a different tone depending on the journo... That may well be beyond me, but still...

Second on my list was to look at the answer format, and see if this could be made more relevant for each specific question, which would solve my issues with the area.

Lastly, writing new content is a lot harder than it sounds, but if I could figure out how the xml works, it may be possible to add some new questions - this is a lot harder though.

Anyway, it's not going to be a short-term project, that's for sure.

Well, I wouldn't quite agree with that. A lot of thought has gone into them, and the responses do have meaning in that these things can now come back to haunt you. My only issue is with the writing which is generic and, in some cases, resorts to fairly bizarre phraseology.

Nope. Not at all. In the slightest. Each season the slate gets wiped clean and off we go again. You can be as abusive as you like, as "no comment"y as you like, and polite as you like. Makes no odds to either what they ask this time, or what they'll ask next time. Or even how many questions they ask "Gee this guy never answers anything, ask him three questions and we're out of here".

To show how ridiculously bad the whole media thing is, go to manager interaction and say you have a lot of respect for a manager. Instant hatred from all your players for praising another club. Now do it in the press conference. Instant love from all your players for being such a sporting guy.

They are tedious, badly written, generic in the extreme, completely lacking in variation.

"Player x is being praised by your fans will this be a boost", "I agree", "Player x must be in good form to get that praise", "I agree". You are never asked the first question without being asked the second.

"There are rumours you're going to sign this complete nubbin", "Couldn't disagree more" .. one press conference later .. "There are rumours you're going to sign this complete nubbin and last time you said there was no way", "Well this time there is no way too you ADD lunatic".

As if FM wasn't long-winded and tedious enough without adding another feature that does nothing but slow the game down and annoy us. I could have sworn games were meant to be entertaining.

I'd be happy to help, even if it is painfully boring (really slow in december at work, pretty much nothing to do, not sure why we even come in.) It only translates to simple things within the game but does make it a lot more enjoyable. If it is too difficult to add new questions the rewording of some wouldn't be so bad, if FM09 media comments are anything like 08 they do become repetitive after a while.

I found a way to vary the questions... i fined my captain for getting sent off: he thought it was unfair and most of the squad felt unhappy for him. Cue pressquestions about unrest in the dressing room.... Ooops!

Up until that point I was getting fairly unhappy with some of tne nonsensical questions and suggested answers though.

I've just started my second season and, although I still attend, they're starting to bore me.

One thing I found in getting promoted from League 1 last season was the question who do you think will win the league. I was top of the league pretty much all the way through the season but I insisted on not saying who I thought would win the league.

Mid way through the season my squad got unhappy as I should be showing more ambition.

Next time around I said we'd win the league and they were unhappy I was putting additional pressure on the team.

You can't win.

I've just started my second season and, although I still attend, they're starting to bore me.

One thing I found in getting promoted from League 1 last season was the question who do you think will win the league. I was top of the league pretty much all the way through the season but I insisted on not saying who I thought would win the league.

Mid way through the season my squad got unhappy as I should be showing more ambition.

Next time around I said we'd win the league and they were unhappy I was putting additional pressure on the team.

You can't win.

Yeah I've had the same thing with players see-sawing between one extreme and the other. At one stage we were a point behind the league leaders with two games in hand, one of which was against the leaders, beat them 1-0 away in that game and the players are still annoyed at having pressure put on them when I say Gateshead are certs for the BSN title. Pansies.

The conferences are repetitive as hell but they're usually a handy way of boosting morale and therefore performances before a match and seeing as every little helps in 09 i feel I have to take the twenty seconds to answer the minimum two questions.

I agree with the nonsensical answers.... my pet hate is that "how the possibility of an upset affect my team"... I always answer "Give them a great boost", but if you are actually english speaking, you'll realise that answer makes absolutely no sense.

Initially i picked the neutral option, and the press said i wasnt sure.

I'm hoping it'll be fixed in a patch, but then again, team talks still havnt changed since 2 versions ago?

In real life you have to go to press conferences for EVERY game however annoying

the only slight thing that would make it better is a wider variety of answers and some different questions but the conferences themselves are a good thing i think and a handy way os subconciously delaing with player morale etc.

Would be nice to have more choice though

I think they come too often.. it would be more enjoyable to have the odd question thrown by a journalist before and/or after a game, rather than the whole procedure. The conference makes sense for some major events, I only send my ass man by now, fortunately he always seems to get it right for the team's morale (Phelan)

Well you might think it's boring to attend all these press conferences. But it is realistic. Think of the job a Premierleague manager has to do! How many press conferences does he attend per month?? Well, he is involved nearly everyday in interviews or other events. And now imagine, in how many cases Benitez or Wenger send their assistents to answer the questions? Not many.

So it is realistic and in real life the questions are repitive too. It is maybe a boring, but simply a realistic feature. ;)

Of course, more varieties in questions would be very useful, but you simply can't imagine how many questions some journalist could ask.

I think, it is a really cool feature and it needs some future work to make it look pretty nice.

Anybody who is using the level of real-life press conferences to defend the tedium of the in-game ones, needs to <something bound to be deleted>

Yes managers do them a lot in real-life. Yes sometimes the questions are repetitive. BUT the wording of the questions, the scope for answers and the cohesive follow-ups mean that they are never the same twice.

Barring really extreme sets of circumstances (fining a player two weeks wages for a sending off, telling the team you're angry with their performance after a 5-0 win at the San Siro, etc) they press conferences are identical from one tedious week to the next.

No part of FM is realistic. Press conferences aren't. Transfer negotiations aren't. Tactics most definitely aren't (why can't I tell my keeper to stop coming out? Why can't I tell my defenders that if they wander forwards again and allow the umpteenth long ball goal then I'll castrate them?). Players desire for first-team football being outweighed by their ability to magically know a teams reputation and refuse to go lower isn't. Fans confidence about friendlies and inability to tell that a particular player is a long-term project isn't.

So stop saying that IRL this happens, because it has zero bearing on FM.

VB

Archived