*Official* Football Manager 2023 Feedback Thread

1 minute ago, Teep said:

For unknown reasons, I moved some files out and of appdata and documents, and it's now working, without changing or deleting anything... hopefully it still works tomorrow

I might be explaining it poorly, but here's what I do know.

When you use a skin, there is a file created in the AppData/SI/cache folder called SKINNAME.skc, it contains the data from the skin generated by the xml's. When you clear the cache and relaod the skin, thats the file that's actually being deleted and rebuilt.

My understanding is that process would look at just the skins folder and build the skc file off of that.  Fo some reason, during this years beta, if you had more than one skin in the skins folder, it would build that xml file off all the skins. 

I found out because one of the errors it threw was a font error, and the font in question was only used in a skin I pulled from a Korean FM board, and I was no longer using it.   But for some reason the cache process scanned it and used it to build the temp file, and then the game started throwing an error when it couldn't process the temp file properly.  As an example, my skc file was about 200k, and when I took out all the skins I wasn't using, deleted everything and reran the game, my skc file went to 116K.  

I've had a lot fewer issues since the game went "live", but in my experience, any sort of XML error like that, kill the game process, delete cache and preferences from AppData/Loca/SI/FM23, restart and it runs fine.

Until the next error.  :-)

Glad you got it working again,

Jellico

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@Jellico73well, i had already move out the skins folder before and it didnt solved it. had also tried the views folder, and the editor data one. i dont know why moving *everything* and putting it back worked. for now i hope it stays fine ;)

thanks for taking the time to answer and share some tips

6 games after the update and I am yet to see a forward stealing a ball or a defender making a mistake. I am playing in the Costarican league, so it's not due to having elite defenders. I guess they tweaked it too much, kinda reverting it to wha fm22 was. Also, it seems there are no more balls over the defense line. I know most people complained about it, but it was a great tool for my team with horrible passing attributes

• SI Staff

So anyone with the slow startup  / high GPU usage think I have figured out what causes it go wrong. It looks like an interaction between the new code and vsync set to fast mode in the nvidia control panel, I tried that locally and can repro the issue then if you set your vsync to application defined it should resolve it without the need for --disable_flip_discard and you should have better performance than before.

image.png.e4de4e873f51075148d031f53ec93226.png

15 minutes ago, EdL said:

So anyone with the slow startup  / high GPU usage think I have figured out what causes it go wrong. It looks like an interaction between the new code and vsync set to fast mode in the nvidia control panel, I tried that locally and can repro the issue then if you set your vsync to application defined it should resolve it without the need for --disable_flip_discard and you should have better performance than before.

Ah okay, my G-Sync may have been a clue then as I have V-Sync set to On in NVIDIA Control Panel, which isn't quite Fast Mode.

Set it to 'Use the 3D application setting' as per your suggestion and seems to have solved it. Your shortcut command also fixed the issue too, but removed that for now :)

Edit: Although saying that, my GPU usage was fine, it was just a generally laggy UI that I was experiencing.

Edited by CSF90

• SI Staff
Just now, CSF90 said:

Ah okay, my G-Sync may have been a clue then as I have V-Sync set to On in NVIDIA Control Panel, which isn't quite Fast Mode.

Set it to 'Use the 3D application setting' as per your suggestion and seem to have solved it. Your command also fixed the issue too, but removed that for now :)

Interesting, I'd expect On to really be the same as what the default is, but will follow up with the graphics coders

19 minutes ago, maxeneize said:

6 games after the update and I am yet to see a forward stealing a ball or a defender making a mistake. I am playing in the Costarican league, so it's not due to having elite defenders. I guess they tweaked it too much, kinda reverting it to wha fm22 was. Also, it seems there are no more balls over the defense line. I know most people complained about it, but it was a great tool for my team with horrible passing attributes

I lost the lead because my defender lost the ball twice in 2 minutes against the team in second position I was tied in points with so it still happens 😂

14 minutes ago, EdL said:

Interesting, I'd expect On to really be the same as what the default is, but will follow up with the graphics coders

I may have jumped the gun on my response actually.

Even after updating that setting in NVIDIA Control Panel, it was still a bit laggy although I think there was some improvement. Still not enough for my liking though, so I reverted that and have re-added the target command and back to pre-patch levels / silky smooth UI.

1 hour ago, SpirosRonto said:

Just did it for fm in game pass with 3070ti and it works

Go inside game folder and make a shortcut for fm.exe , then paste the command like that

image.png.82d437e0dfc47e247aebf51dc11e5ee4.png

Thank you, sir!

Edited by CSF90

18 minutes ago, EdL said:

Use 3D application setting is set by default on my nvidia control panel and so it doesnt change anything. My problem is mostly having brightness flickering when hovering over every button on the menus.

When i turn gsync off it stops but with your command it still works so i guess im gonna keep that for now.

13 hours ago, damjanovski said:

Please stop just seeing the stats and watch the game. The ME is much improved with the latest patch. There are higher amount of passes because the game is more quicker. But. In every other aspect the ME is better!

i am watching the game, and it's unwatchable. It's like watching FM22 all over again. Passing teams no longer misplace a pass, ping it around making 30-40 passes in a row in pretty much all game no matter what team it is. Every passing team plays like spain/barcelona, even teams with 4th tier level players. Why would i want to watch that? How is this realistic in any way?

13 hours ago, damjanovski said:

Please stop just seeing the stats and watch the game. The ME is much improved with the latest patch. There are higher amount of passes because the game is more quicker. But. In every other aspect the ME is better!

also why did they need to make the game quicker? Not one person moaned about that or raised it as a bug? Before the patch the match speed was perfect, that's why passing stats were normal. Now every game is played 100mph constant short passes all game long its unbearable to watch or try to enjoy

• SI Staff
10 minutes ago, SpirosRonto said:

Use 3D application setting is set by default on my nvidia control panel and so it doesnt change anything. My problem is mostly having brightness flickering when hovering over every button on the menus.

When i turn gsync off it stops but with your command it still works so i guess im gonna keep that for now.

ok g-sync might be an avenue to investigate then

• SI Staff
10 minutes ago, CSF90 said:

I may have jumped the gun on my response actually.

Even after updating that setting in NVIDIA Control Panel, it was still a bit laggy although I think there was some improvement. Still not enough for my liking though, so I reverted that and have re-added the target command and back to pre-patch levels / silky smooth UI.

One thing to note with the nvidia control panel you have to press apply before it takes effect (and don't have FM running when you make the change)

Also do you have a g-sync monitor?

1 minute ago, EdL said:

One thing to note with the nvidia control panel you have to press apply before it takes effect (and don't have FM running when you make the change)

Also do you have a g-sync monitor?

I quit the game and applied and then re-loaded. Can try again though.

Yes, I do have a G-Sync monitor - AOC AG271QG 27 inch monitor | AOC Monitors | AOC Monitors

1 hour ago, TheAwesomeGem said:

Yep, they improved AI individual training. 

Sure. 1 week they tell me to start individual training for a player. Next week they tell me to stop the same training- Much improvement, such wow

2 minutes ago, iAlwaysWin said:

Oh my dont really know what to say....really dont like what you guys have done here, everything just looks to perfect, the unpredictable nature of football is now gone.

The most beautiful thing in the ME is gone

The dribble

I hated FM22 ME because it had no dribble

And now its the same

The IF just refuse to dribble its just pissing me off , why they got backwards on this i just not get it 

1 hour ago, EdL said:

And if you on AMD?  the --disable cmd did fix things for me.

• SI Staff
5 minutes ago, Jellico73 said:

And if you on AMD?  the --disable cmd did fix things for me.

Do you have a free-sync monitor? It seems there might be multiple factors at play here.

14 minutes ago, CARRERA said:

One of the Headline features was to create the chaotic of football in the ME and now they went back to tiki-taka for everyone?!

What happened?

They bottled it and reverted to the FM22 match engine with a few tweaks. I genuinely would've preferred it if they kept the initial ME with the defensive bugs if it meant not having this FM22 version. The fact they've completely done a U-Turn on what was a much improved ME (with a couple of fixable bugs) is sad. 

Just now, leo2r said:

They bottled it and reverted to the FM22 match engine with a few tweaks. I genuinely would've preferred it if they kept the initial ME with the defensive bugs if it meant not having this FM22 version. The fact they've completely done a U-Turn on what was a much improved ME (with a couple of fixable bugs) is sad. 

how many games have you played to judge that

Representation of defending is much much better, it feels and plays like every pass is contested with a player not too far from the ball, so there's almost always a challenger when it makes sense for there to be one near.

The slight downside though is the dribbling and chaos , which was the great part of this ME has been toned down a bit too much in my opinion.

If the beta was 100% chaos, this feels like 40%.

It still is miles better than the beta and a much better ME than FM22.

The attacking play is also a little bit static, I haven't had time to do all my tweaks but there definitely is a lot to learn here and figure out. It's possible that the way the tactics affect the ME has changed significantly enough that I can try and tweak the attacking phase to get the desired result.

I will report back if I have success in creating a more free flowing tactic.

Well I have no idea if things are improved with the changes. What is improved and very welcome is the additional info and insight published with the update. Being more open about issues we can all see with our own eyes feels like a step in the right direction.

2 hours ago, metal_guitarist said:

In Steam, right click on FM23, go to properties. Paste the following text (including the dashes) into the Launch Options, close the properties window and then launch FM:

--disable_flip_discard

All those struggling with load up/ jerky match engine this worked for me.

13 minutes ago, carling1968 said:

Just updated with the new patch, game now gets stuck on the loading screen. I guess its broken. Wont bother with it tonight but does anyone know if it will get fixed ?

Thanks

Clear the cache and preferences and try again

1 hour ago, CSF90 said:

Set it to 'Use the 3D application setting' as per your suggestion and seems to have solved it. Your shortcut command also fixed the issue too, but removed that for now :)

Edit: Although saying that, my GPU usage was fine, it was just a generally laggy UI that I was experiencing.

Where do you locate this V-Sync setting?  I have the GeForce RTX 3080, but can't find an Nvidia control panel...  Corrected to say, I can find the control panel, but no such setting.  Edited once more to say, I found the setting and it was already as suggested as above.

Edited by Blutarsky

18 minutes ago, carling1968 said:

Im not very technical could you tell me how you do that ?. Many Thanks

In search (next to Windows logo, button left) type %appdata%. Click on AppData > Local > Sports Interactive > Football Manager 2023 > there you will find the cache and preferences folder. 

57 minutes ago, GOODNAME said:

I played like 10 games and i agree with him

Its just like FM 22, pass pass pass pass pass pass pass goal

No chaos, no dribble, just boring football. 

I see heaps of dribbling and chaos so im not sure if its tactics or what 

39 minutes ago, mielony said:

1.png

Insane passing numbers from the CB's... strange because that sounds familiar. Ahhh yes, SI told us they had an internal ME where CB's completed unrealistically high amounts of passes and that's why they didn't release it.. right? So that begs the question as to why on earth have they still released it.. after literally explaining why it shouldn't be released? Anyone want to respond or you just gonna ignore everyone? @Michael Sant @Neil Brock @CJ Ramson

• SI Staff
41 minutes ago, leo2r said:

Insane passing numbers from the CB's... strange because that sounds familiar. Ahhh yes, SI told us they had an internal ME where CB's completed unrealistically high amounts of passes and that's why they didn't release it.. right? So that begs the question as to why on earth have they still released it.. after literally explaining why it shouldn't be released? Anyone want to respond or you just gonna ignore everyone? @Michael Sant @Neil Brock @CJ Ramson

We're always happy to respond. If you're finding unusually high numbers feel free to share these and pkm's over in the bug tracker so they can be reviewed by the appropriate QA teams: 

https://community.sigames.com/bugtracker/football-manager-2023-bugs-tracker/753_match-engine-ai-and-tactics/

We haven't released the same match engine that was initially outlined in the second post. There have been subsequent changes made (with an awful lot of influence coming from the community to highlight issues) and if there are issues people are still encountering we will look into these. However, as mentioned frequently when discussing the ME. There are certain trade-offs and balancing factors to consider, it may be passes being a little higher in one area is the best compromise at this time and we'll be continuing to work on it.

42 minutos atrás, Michael Sant disse:

We're always happy to respond. If you're finding unusually high numbers feel free to share these and pkm's over in the bug tracker so they can be reviewed by the appropriate QA teams: 

https://community.sigames.com/bugtracker/football-manager-2023-bugs-tracker/753_match-engine-ai-and-tactics/

We haven't released the same match engine that was initially outlined in the second post. There have been subsequent changes made and if there are issues people are still encountering we will look into these. However, as mentioned frequently when discussing the ME. There are certain trade-offs and balancing factors to consider, it may be passes being a little higher in one area is the best compromise at this time and we'll be continuing to work on it.

Your argument makes sense. SI needs more time to try to find a balance between long and short balls. But I believe that the problem is more in the pressure, it is not being effective enough, with this the defenders can exchange passes without any problem

1 hour ago, Nick_CB said:

Play Out Of Defence with ANY team in this new update is generating an insane amount of passes between defenders

image.png.72d9049e002b1fe4e4f0cec6376ab9ed.png

My Santa Carla Team was doing that pre patch but I am playing a very short high tempo passing game.  AM interested to see what the post patch number are like.