*Official* Football Manager 2023 Early Access Beta Feedback Thread

1 hour ago, BamBamBam said:

They are getting fired up because they love the game. And they want to pay the £35 to own it, but if the changes are pretty bad and the game actually hasn't improved, they have a right to be disappointed. SI want people like you just to blindly pay the money every year.

The changes this year have been mostly positive IMO, and the game has definitely improved.  Match engine better than it's ever been (and will be even better when they iron out a couple of the glitches). 

It's a yearly sports title, so it's never going to look drastically different than the one before. That's the nature of the beast. SI's model has always been incremental changes year on year. You'll get the odd year when there's a bigger overhaul than usual (FM13 adding classic mode, FM14 doing away with sliders, etc) but generally its small changes year on year. 

Bizarre that people are so vocal about this year's game when it's seen the biggest improvement to the actual match engine in many years, but I suppose there's nothing shiny and hypnotising to look at and there's also YouTubers influencing the perma gullible to whine and moan more than usual. 

Of course, as the poster you've quoted hinted at, if you're one of those people who micro analyse the game to the nth degree, you will NEVER get any enjoyment out of it. 

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

The

Game

Is

Not

Binary

Never suggested it should be. 3 red cards in 3 consesetive games is excessive 2 straight and 1 second bookable yellow, i noted I haven't got  stuck-in TI to pre-attempt someone suggesting i've got tackle hard or get stuck in on. My team have already amassed 68 yellow cards in 20 games.

6 hours ago, Sean h said:

It is squad depth but a more advanced version,  why do you think its a downgrade  ? I think it great because its easier to understand what players you need and what your squad will look like in a few seasons time 

It’s not necessary at all though. 99% can work out what players they need for next season in their head. Having a squad depth of all positions ranked on ability through your chosen coach was more than sufficient.

Resources wasted on on renaming previous features + adding clicks is bad from all perspectives. 

Edited by Just4Downloads

1 minute ago, Just4Downloads said:

It’s not necessary at all though. 99% can work out what players they need for next season in their head. Have a squad depth of all positions ranked on ability through your chosen coach was more than sufficient.

Resources wasted on on renaming previous features + adding clicks is bad from all perspectives. 

Add anything you want, what infuriates me is the removal of the classic squad depth screen, wherein one could see more than 3 players per position and vanishing of the positional overview screen which was good for a quick look of the squad depth. I still hope they re-add the squad depth as a tab in the squad planner. 

39 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

The changes this year have been mostly positive IMO, and the game has definitely improved.  Match engine better than it's ever been (and will be even better when they iron out a couple of the glitches). 

It's a yearly sports title, so it's never going to look drastically different than the one before. That's the nature of the beast. SI's model has always been incremental changes year on year. You'll get the odd year when there's a bigger overhaul than usual (FM13 adding classic mode, FM14 doing away with sliders, etc) but generally its small changes year on year. 

Bizarre that people are so vocal about this year's game when it's seen the biggest improvement to the actual match engine in many years, but I suppose there's nothing shiny and hypnotising to look at and there's also YouTubers influencing the perma gullible to whine and moan more than usual. 

Of course, as the poster you've quoted hinted at, if you're one of those people who micro analyse the game to the nth degree, you will NEVER get any enjoyment out of it. 

The ME changes could be fantastic, they haven't quite got it right yet, and for me its not playable until they fix some of the issues that are occurring. I want to pick up on your point about nothing shiny and new and here is the issue for SI how do you present a new yearly game as "New" this year there PR and choice of essentially "refacing" some of current features as new has been a own goal. The new "squad planner" is doing the same job really as squad depth is, and actually I prefer squad depth, Shooting themselves in the foot by claiming all these new shiny features when actually they are just revamped old ones.

In my view a better UI less clicks and a brilliant ME would have satisfied many and the majority.  Instead they've pretended to launch a game with "new features" which aren't  new and are just revamped and consumer have seen through it. 

3 minutes ago, styluz05 said:

Instead they've pretended to launch a game with "new features" which aren't  new 

Bizarrely, there's more actual new features this year than there was last year, yet people are losing their minds at the moment. 

Last year, the two headline features were the data hub, and a revamped transfer deadline day.  Plus they added in a new wide centre back role. 

This year we have...

Squad Planner, which is more than just an overhaul if you use it properly, something many seem to have trouble with. 

Recruitment and scouting overhaul - Biggest change to this area of the game in years. 

New defensive tactical instructions, and now actually able to play defensive low block tactics. 

New Uefa Licences with completely revamped cup draws and in-game music, which you might think is nothing, but that's a major coup for SI

New supporter confidence model, which like many new features will grow as the years go on. 

Dynamic Manager timeline (a minor addition admittedly, but still new)

But hey, Zealand says the graphics are rubbish so lets all get the pitchforks out eh?

2 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

Bizarrely, there's more actual new features this year than there was last year, yet people are losing their minds at the moment. 

Last year, the two headline features were the data hub, and a revamped transfer deadline day.  Plus they added in a new wide centre back role. 

This year we have...

Squad Planner, which is more than just an overhaul if you use it properly, something many seem to have trouble with. 

Recruitment and scouting overhaul - Biggest change to this area of the game in years. 

New defensive tactical instructions, and now actually able to play defensive low block tactics. 

New Uefa Licences with completely revamped cup draws and in-game music, which you might think is nothing, but that's a major coup for SI

New supporter confidence model, which like many new features will grow as the years go on. 

Dynamic Manager timeline (a minor addition admittedly, but still new)

But hey, Zealand says the graphics are rubbish so lets all get the pitchforks out eh?

Exactly my point, SI in a hard place of delivering a "new game" each year, as you say last years wasn't much new and maybe the consumers now are fed up? 

Squad Planner really isn't much of a improvement. 

New Defensive tactical instructions will only work once the ME is fixed. 

Uefa Licences personally doesn't do anything for me but I understand why some love it. 

New Supporter Dynamic currently broken and clear evidence of that. 

Dynamic Manager timeline again a fancy revamp of information that you could already access. 

I never mentioned graphics but he has point. 

I understand we are in a cost of living crisis right now, but its 30 quid, its the cost of a night out for something you'll ultimately play for hours this year. It has SOME incremental changes in it.

If the changes aren't worth 30 quid to you, then don't buy it I guess? I have a few friends who always skip a year and it works for them.

Me, I'm happy to pay the 30 for incremental updates to a company that has given me so much joy over the years.

Just now, styluz05 said:

Exactly my point, SI in a hard place of delivering a "new game" each year, as you say last years wasn't much new and maybe the consumers now are fed up? 

Squad Planner really isn't much of a improvement. 

New Defensive tactical instructions will only work once the ME is fixed. 

Uefa Licences personally doesn't do anything for me but I understand why some love it. 

New Supporter Dynamic currently broken and clear evidence of that. 

Dynamic Manager timeline again a fancy revamp of information that you could already access. 

I never mentioned graphics but he has point. 

I'm not discussing whether you like the new features or not, your point was that there wasn't any, which I've just proved there was more than last year. So why not all the stamping of feet (or at least to the same degree) last year? 

People are now even more self entitled than ever, that's why. SI could introduce the greatest new features going and people would still moan because it's not been designed for their exact specifications. 

9 hours ago, michaeltmurrayuk said:

They have given him an extra year, a yearly rise and a percentage of next sale (and with a lower release clause which is more likely to be activated) which may have changed the overall package, and depending on who you are managing might have just tipped it in their favour, as I'm not sure if the financially benefit is refering to why they rejected you or just that it is the reason they moved from their original club.

Though if you have a save from before he made his final decision you can raise the issue in the bugs forum so it can be looked at.

I'm managing Real Madrid and have just won the UCL as well as the league. I tried reloading several times upping the salary and bonuses each time - still he decided to go back to Newcastle to renegotiate a deal - in the news item he even "admitted" that there were better offers on the table but decided to go with Newcastle anyway.

I know people have different tastes and all but choosing, well, Newcastle over Madrid AND getting a much worse deal on top of that is something I don't really get ..

I just can't play this game right now. The ME is killing me with players not even remotely doing what is asked of them and the constant long balls over the top of my defense whilst CB's stand and watch is so annoying. Defense line on standard and have CD's with 16 pace and accel......

I don't seem to be able to replicate anything the AI does and my players often completely ignore instructions. 

I know it's a game and I know it shouldn't be robotic however just some degree of control over the team would be nice.

Too late for a Steam refund so SI can spend my money on a hot tub in the office but I'm uninstalling until this ME is radically changed.

36 minutes ago, Jethers said:

I just can't play this game right now. The ME is killing me with players not even remotely doing what is asked of them and the constant long balls over the top of my defense whilst CB's stand and watch is so annoying. Defense line on standard and have CD's with 16 pace and accel......

I don't seem to be able to replicate anything the AI does and my players often completely ignore instructions. 

I know it's a game and I know it shouldn't be robotic however just some degree of control over the team would be nice.

Too late for a Steam refund so SI can spend my money on a hot tub in the office but I'm uninstalling until this ME is radically changed.

Game is 2-3 days before release. I am sure there will be an updated ME at launch

7 minutes ago, Lempicka said:

We have pre-game db editor, why not a pre-game stadium editor?

I think the point most people want input on their stadium is when a new one is built, so I'm not sure the pre-game editor is the best place for it. 

But then I think their are two groups talking about input on stadiums - those who want to import a replica of a real stadium as a 3D model and textures, and those who want to be able to choose the layout of the stadium within the confines of the game's existing stadium components. (I'm in the latter camp).

Edited by rp1966

39 minutes ago, rp1966 said:

Seriously? This again?  It's like saying in a flight simulator, you shouldn't be able to choose the livery of your plane (or even the plane itself) as a pilot doesn't get to do that.

In any simulation game there is the role you role-play as taking part in the simulation and then there's control of the gameworld as the person playing the game.  Both choosing a livery for your plane in a flight sim and having control over the layout of your stadium in a football manager simulation fall into that second category.

Role-play manager and gamer - two completely different things with different scope on what they should be able to do. 

In FM we already have lots of things we can do that a real manager can't do, both as part of the game loop and, especially, via the editors.

But maybe I have a different outlook to a lot of players, but I'd like the gameworld to be much more open to modification and control by the gamer.  For example, I can't see SI ever making the gameworld dynamic for future years, but I'd love to see features of the pre-game editor brought into the main game so that I could set the Champion's League to revert to the current format in 2030, or schedule a change in substitution rules  or number of teams in a league for a future season.

https://community.sigames.com/forums/forum/680-football-manager-feature-requests/

2 minutes ago, rp1966 said:

Thanks - this suggestion (or similar) has been tipped into that black hole a million times before by numerous people.

Perhaps SI doesn't want to create "The Sims - Football Edition"? I for one would despise loads of the suggestions. If you mean a stadium editor as a pre-game editor to create mods, sure, no issues. But in game as you play as the manager and suddenly "Wanna build the new stadium?", then no way. In the same way I don't want to buy a car, or build my house or chose plastic surgery for my wife, or any type of Sims-esque suggestions that I've seen in there.

1 minuto fa, XaW ha scritto:

Perhaps SI doesn't want to create "The Sims - Football Edition"? I for one would despise loads of the suggestions. If you mean a stadium editor as a pre-game editor to create mods, sure, no issues. But in game as you play as the manager and suddenly "Wanna build the new stadium?", then no way. In the same way I don't want to buy a car, or build my house or chose plastic surgery for my wife, or any type of Sims-esque suggestions that I've seen in there.

Or you can simply delegate it to your board if you don't care and let other people have their fun?

Just now, DMaster2 said:

Or you can simply delegate it to your board if you don't care and let other people have their fun?

Because, and this is key because I see this all the time in here when SI use their time on anything someone doesn't like, they could use the time and effort to improve the things I would like to see improved in the game. I mean, it's a horrible take, but when it's obviously free game for other things, then all bets are off.

As I've said before, I love this game and play it way too much, but if it becomes the Sims, I'm very likely to stop playing it and stick to whatever version I enjoy.

2 minutes ago, Lempicka said:

I think most people want stadiums with more variation, realistic lower league grounds, corner infills that done't look ridiculous (e.g. massive screens in 3k capacity grounds, etc) . A pre-game stadium editor be a step in the right direction.

They do, but when it comes to the modelling and texturing I think we're in SI's hands. The game needs to be able to produce 1000s of stadiums for clubs around the world and that means a construction kit approach - it also has to accommodate the way the crowds are generated. That's why I don't think city builder type mods for stadiums will ever be a thing.  The modelling, texturing etc needs to drastically improve (along with lighting and weather), but being able to at least choose the layout from the construction kit within the confines of the stadium capacity would at least address some of people's issues.

6 minutes ago, XaW said:

Thanks so much for resurrecting a deleted comment. But I've never suggested being able to just build a new stadium on spec, but when a new stadium is built by the board, to be able to edit the layout within the confines of the proposed capacity (i.e not end up with a stadium built in 2030 without filled in corners)

And I really don't appreciate you doing the cheap reductio ad absurdum on my position by characterising me  as having a position of Sims, buying houses etc.

4 minuti fa, XaW ha scritto:

Because, and this is key because I see this all the time in here when SI use their time on anything someone doesn't like, they could use the time and effort to improve the things I would like to see improved in the game. I mean, it's a horrible take, but when it's obviously free game for other things, then all bets are off.

As I've said before, I love this game and play it way too much, but if it becomes the Sims, I'm very likely to stop playing it and stick to whatever version I enjoy.

Considering we are barely seeing improvement each year anyway i'd say there isn't a problem...

1 minute ago, rp1966 said:

Thanks so much for resurrecting a deleted comment. But I've never suggested being able to just build a new stadium on spec, but when a new stadium is built by the board, to be able to edit the layout within the confines of the proposed capacity (i.e not end up with a stadium built in 2030 without filled in corners)

And I really don't appreciate you doing the cheap reductio ad absurdum on my position by characterising me  as having a position of Sims, buying houses etc.

I don't that's anywhere near anything the game needs or should ad. I do think the stadiums should be better in general, and avoid those open corner and such, but I really don't see any reason for the manager to have anything remotely close to impacting the layout of a stadium.

I tried to break it up as those other things are ALSO things I would despise seeing in the game as they would REALLY be the fluff that people are already complaining about is in FM. And a stadium editor in-game would be much the same for me.

1 minute ago, DMaster2 said:

Considering we are barely seeing improvement each year anyway i'd say there isn't a problem...

If you don't see any changes between versions, I'd say you should look deeper. If you play a few matches in FM22 and FM23 back-to-back and struggle to see the difference, I would question your perception in general! I for one would have no problem with a new FM Version with ZERO new features and just polishing up the existing ones and fixing bugs. It's a game about being a manager of a football club, there is a finite number of actual useful features one could have in my view. If anything I would see changes done to the WORLD around the save. Focus much more on the immersion of each save and how different things turn out. THAT would be features I would like, if it has to be something new.

13 minutes ago, Weller1980 said:

Gegenpress is still overpowered why are the devs finding this so difficult to balance? 

I think it has a lot to do with the way the code interprets space being challenged.  Players are generally a bit timid all over the pitch.  It affects rushed clearances (exacerbated by gegenpress), preferred passing lanes and the abilities of forwards in the final third.

In questo momento, XaW ha scritto:

If you don't see any changes between versions, I'd say you should look deeper.

I went directly from 21 to 23 and currently i don't feel the game changed much. But if you feel headline features like manager timeline are so game changing hey, good for you. I have an higher standard apparently.

6 minutes ago, rp1966 said:

I think it has a lot to do with the way the code interprets space being challenged.  Players are generally a bit timid all over the pitch.  It affects rushed clearances (exacerbated by gegenpress), preferred passing lanes and the abilities of forwards in the final third.

I'd never actually considered why this was the case. Great explanation, thanks

2 minutes ago, DMaster2 said:

I went directly from 21 to 23 and currently i don't feel the game changed much. But if you feel headline features like manager timeline are so game changing hey, good for you. I have an higher standard apparently.

That's your view fine, but I really struggle to see how it's possible to not notice a difference from FM21 and FM23. Feel free to PM me your passive aggressive digs rather than clunk up the thread. To keep it up to your "higher standards", of course.

vor 3 Stunden schrieb Dagenham_Dave:

I agree, a potentially great addition with which many seem to have trouble with. You need far more clicks than in FM22 and you can never see all possible players for a position in one list. I always have the feeling of missing players. I'm not gonna go to the U19, check the ones with the highest potential and then go to squad planner and click on New --> U19 --> Position --> Name to add them.

They should add the overview from last year where you could add players with a click on (+) or remove them with (-) and introduce an add-to-squadplanner-option in the player context menu. THEN squad planner will start to live up to it's potential. It's so sad to see my most anticipated feature fall so short of expectations.

I know, this was not your point, you were just listing new features, but anyway, I needed to express my current feelings about that feature again. Nothing to do with you :)

Edited by Kaiserslautern1900

7 minutos atrás, XaW disse:

That's your view fine, but I really struggle to see how it's possible to not notice a difference from FM21 and FM23. Feel free to PM me your passive aggressive digs rather than clunk up the thread. To keep it up to your "higher standards", of course.

FM 23 has problems that boring me. But as someone who moved from FM 21 to FM 23, I can say with certainty that there has been a significant advance. My friend who also didn't play FM 22 share the same opinion. 

14 minuti fa, XaW ha scritto:

Between "i feel the game hasn't changed much" to your "not noticing a difference" there is an inbetween. The game had changes? Sure. But not enough in my opinion, especially since FM22 was between those two. I already have the habit to purchase every 2 years but the "barely changed" issues has become so bad that i'm considering switching for a 3 years cycle moving forward.

And there is nothing passive aggressive here, what i need to say i say it regardless if the other person is a user or a dev of the game.

Edited by DMaster2

2 hours ago, Harrymcintyre said:

It’s not a building simulation game? 

I’m pretty sure he means a pre game stadium editor not a stadium editor in the actual game.  That would be very useful so we would have the option ourselves to sort / mitigate some of the really poor default stadiums in the game.

58 minutes ago, XaW said:

but I really don't see any reason for the manager to have anything remotely close to impacting the layout of a stadium.

That isn't was the person you quoted was saying.

They want to edit it as the person playing the game, who currently has the ability to use the pre-game and in-game editor, not have influence on the board as the in-game Manager. There's a significant difference between those two concepts.