Match 24: Spain vs Poland 8PM (BST) Live from La Cartuja Stadium - Seville (BBC)

thefmveteran86

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

something says to me that Murphy has done that before VAR days and got away with it

it's soft obviously but by the letter of the law, it was a penalty because he's stood on the player

4 minutes ago, HOORAY HENRIK said:

People thinking that because the ball has been moved on it’s not a foul.

Actually amazing. :D

Of course it's a foul and it's obviously a 100% a penalty by the rules.

But common sense just says that a penalty seems way too a disproportionate punishment for that kind of thing, But I don't think you can ever really change the rules for it being something else.

Just now, MIR17 said:

But common sense just says that a penalty seems way too a disproportionate punishment for that kind of thing, But I don't think you can ever really change the rules for it being something else.

It's just the same as a foul anywhere else on the pitch tbh, except in the box you get punished with a pen. Easiest solution for him there was not to foul his man :D

1 minute ago, MIR17 said:

This.  Not sure about Europe, but in English games I'd say from when I started watching football up to sometime around 2010 it was an unwritten rule that you didn't get penalties for a goalie taking out a striker after they got their shot away, or a defender doing the same to a crosser etc.   Similarly small fouls that would be given outside the box were not given inside the box.   

Now you can take the approach that rules are rules and defenders should simply not foul and have no sympathy if they do.  Personally I prefer the old way.  But as long as the rules are clear and implementation of them are clear then you can't really complain if a penalty is given against you.

Just now, craigcwwe said:

Am I right in thinking if we finish second in our group we face the winner of this group in the round of 16 in Rome?

Thats worth doing as you will probably get a bye then, likely to be Sweden... so a real gimme to get into the 8s

2 minutes ago, craigcwwe said:

Am I right in thinking if we finish second in our group we face the winner of this group in the round of 16 in Rome?

Nearly.  We play the 2nd place team in this group in Copenhagen :D

2 minutes ago, The Golden boy said:

2nd place in this group.

2 minutes ago, Astafjevs said:

No England will play the runner up if they finish 2nd

Just now, Rob1981 said:

Nearly.  We play the 2nd place team in this group in Copenhagen :D

Cheers chaps. :thup:

1 minute ago, Rob1981 said:

If we win our group we would play the winner of this group in Rome in the QF though... assuming we both win our R16 games.

I knew I'd heard we could have a game in Rome in one of the first two KO rounds if we made it that far!

Edited by craigcwwe

1 minute ago, ArsenalFan7 said:

Lack of urgency from the Spaniards been astounding, I’m sure given another half hour they’ll eventually walk the ball in

This might well age badly but of the other top nations, you'd fancy England to take Spain wouldn't you? 

Could be the scalp the squad needs to give them the belief to go all the way. :cool:

Just now, craigcwwe said:

This might well age badly but of the other top nations, you'd fancy England to take Spain wouldn't you? 

Could be the scalp the squad needs to give them the belief to go all the way. :cool:

considering both teams have problems scoring goals, stick on penalty shoot out in Rome