FM16 - The community formation experiment

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't mind, i've used a 4321 Narrow in the past. I don't even know what FM thinks a 31312 DM is, no wide players at all?!? will be interesting...

The 3 in midfield ML-MC-MR

Being at work and unable to check (technically I should also be unable to post =P) is that the 3 defender variant of the Xmas tree?? Awesome =D

Yup, back 3, flat middle 4, 2 x AMC and 1 x ST

Interesting one!

Had a quick look at the squad last night.

Its a mixed bag. Some good talent in there, some more questionable stuff as well! For those of us with 3 at the back type formations, there is likely a real need there as DC is a position of shortage. There is one semi decent option in the reserves who could serve as backup. Also in the reserves an ST who was a super prospect last year (or maybe it was Fm14?).

Also the team is pretty much at its wage budget, so those 3 signings (1 loan and 2 perm) might need to be creative!

The formation i got is a challenger for sure. A sweeper / libero setup, with 2 strikers and an AMC......On the plus side the base formation should in theory allow for an effective Libero, and there is at least one option in the squad who might be able to do that (wont be perfect, but might do a job).

Had a quick look at the squad last night.

Its a mixed bag. Some good talent in there, some more questionable stuff as well! For those of us with 3 at the back type formations, there is likely a real need there as DC is a position of shortage. There is one semi decent option in the reserves who could serve as backup. Also in the reserves an ST who was a super prospect last year (or maybe it was Fm14?).

Also the team is pretty much at its wage budget, so those 3 signings (1 loan and 2 perm) might need to be creative!

The formation i got is a challenger for sure. A sweeper / libero setup, with 2 strikers and an AMC......On the plus side the base formation should in theory allow for an effective Libero, and there is at least one option in the squad who might be able to do that (wont be perfect, but might do a job).

I think the surplus wage budget is about £60 :D

4222 DM Narrow ffs, never liked that formation but at least I'll have a chance to free up budget if I can get shot of any worthless wingers.

Presume we are using the default licences/manager stats setup?

Just go with max on each i would say. Fairly realistic to be managing a club in the Europa and top 6 in France.

Ugh, 5-4-1. Not a formation I would ever choose, so good choice from that point of view.

Tempting to go all Sam Allardyce with such a formation, but nah - something a bit more aggressive I think. I'll probably be sacked by Christmas but at least I'll go down fighting ;).

Starting off with Control / Fluid, 2 TIs (Play Narrower, Be More Disciplined) and a couple of PIs here and there. I'll get stuck into pre-season and if I've still got my job by the end of August I'll post an update.

These are my initial roles and duties, not 100% sure on some so I'll see how it goes.

PSG - it's on.

246jk1g.png

Cheers for the formation, Jambo. Not sure I've ever successfully pulled off a 5-3-2 WB before...

Real quick update from me. This is how I'm thinking of setting up:

assa.jpg

I reckon 5-3-2 looks good as a counter formation and Saint-Etienne have bags of pace up front/out-wide...

It's not a style I've tried before so wish me luck!

Initial Thoughts

Formation: 343 (Default pic below)

SE%201%20Default%20Formation.png

Squad

Not as bad as it could have been for the formation. Good balance & depth at GK & MC but short at DC and possible issues with too many wide players.

Assou-Ekotto is the only natural DL in the first team and with some experience already further forward will probably look for him to compete with Tabanou & Brison at ML. On the right I could have really used Baysse in a three man defence but there isn't an option to recall him (Also paying his wages which is annoying given how tight the budget is). Theophile-Catherine can play at DC while Clerc & Malcuit will probably compete for the MR place.

That gives me three for the DC places (Perrin, Sall & Theophile-Catherine) while I've promoted three from the reserves to provide cover (Pogba, Karamoko & Dekoke). Dekoke doesn't look ready and I could use one more good DC but not as bad as it could have been. Alternative plans include promoting 17yo Souici as cover or retraining Clerc to play centrally as well.

There seems to be a lot of depth in midfield with most of them having solid defensive skills which suits the way I'm expecting to use the central players. Out wide there seems to be a lot of attacking wingers and they'll probably have to compete with the strikers for the wide forward roles. With three natural STs already in the first team + Tannane & possibly Maupay in the reserves it doesn't leave many spots open though. This leaves Corgnet, Hamouma, Monnet-Paquet, Eysseric & Bahebeck as the players who lose out the most from the formation and possible options to move on if I get any interest.

Ok latest 2 out of the black box (Chrikey the response rate here is mega good!)

Lewis999 - 4213 DM Wide (I couldnt exclude 3 x DC formations, but fortunately a back 4 one came out for you)

Rashidi1 - 3421 DM

Appreciate you will update via videos only rash - Thanks for taking the time to take part , i am certain lots will enjoy the videos :)

Formation 3-5-2

First off, my approach to this has to be different than usual. Rather than having a style of play in mind before starting the game, as we have a fixed formation to work with I analysed the squad and then decided on a strategy. 3-5-2 is actually more flexible than a lot of the options so I feel I got of lightly here. There is a rich history linked to this formation so I have plenty of things to reference.

Looking at the squad I notice that there are plenty of pacey, attacking players out wide. One option with this formation would be to play my fullbacks at ML/MR and maybe have them as Defensive Wingers to turn this into more of a 5-3-2, but I feel that would be wasting the talent we have at these more attacking wide positions. We also have plenty of depth in the MC/MCR/MCL which is good, lacking at DC though which may be an area to strengthen through the transfer market.

I don’t know much about the French League 1, but media predictions are for us to finish 6th and we have European football. Whilst any system can be made to work, if a majority of teams are going to be sitting back against us as we are favourites, us trying to do the same and hit on the counter may not be the best strategy.

So the style of play I am looking for is for us to play fast paced attacking football, stretching the field with the wingers. In the defensive phase I want a high press. One of our strengths as a squad especially in the midfield and up front is a high Work Rate which will obviously help a lot with the press.

Current Tactics

Yet too play a pre-season game so this is liable to change.

mMwDa9X.png?1

We have a simple back three, two holding midfielders, one a ball winner to help out with the press (I have never had much success with a BWM but want to give him another go) and keep the ball moving in possession whilst the other, a DLP, will hopefully be the first person to get the ball and spray out some good passes. Two wingers to stretch play, a surging midfielder making runs into the box, and two Centre Forwards. I've used Bahbeck here as an Advanced Forward as he has great Pace, Acceleration, Finishing and Off The Ball, and I've had success in the past with this type of player intros position.

Ok, first batch put through the randomator (it really needs a better name.......)

Craigus89 - 352

Repsalty - 4321 Narrow

Bluescreen 433 Narrow

2calvin -4123 DM narrow

Fosse - 5122 DM narrow

WaldyWaldy - 343 Diamond Wide

yau - 41311 DM Narrow

Barside - 4222 DM Narrow

HaroldHammond - 5122 Sweeper DM WB

Herne79 - 541

Jambo98 - 5212 Sweeper WB

Some um.....interesting ones in there!

jimmeth1985 and summatsupper - You didnt seem to 100% confirm you wanted to play so i havent drawn you a tactic. Just shout if you do want to join.

Bit confused about my formation as it doesn't seem to be among the preset formations. Did you mean 343 DM wide instead of 343 diamond wide? As that one is listed as a preset formation but not on your list.

Bit confused about my formation as it doesn't seem to be among the preset formations. Did you mean 343 DM wide instead of 343 diamond wide? As that one is listed as a preset formation but not on your list.

Ah good spot. One thing i did not do was check that the list of default formations had not changed since last year (Clearly it has!)

So yes, the 343 Diamond wide appears to have been replaced by 343 DM wide (and if someone can explain the logic in that change.......fire in.....). So you are landed with that, by default im afraid!

Ah good spot. One thing i did not do was check that the list of default formations had not changed since last year (Clearly it has!)

So yes, the 343 Diamond wide appears to have been replaced by 343 DM wide (and if someone can explain the logic in that change.......fire in.....). So you are landed with that, by default im afraid!

Cool.

I better start looking for defensive players in that case.

This is quite the fun group :-)

Several questions.

1. How long is the challenge for?

2. Should we fix the countries : Italy, Spain, Germany, Holland, France

I am going with St Etienne, out of sentiment

Finally, if you guys are keen, just email me a pkm of your matches, say pick a game, once a month in game time. What I will do is a show that incorporates what I am doing with highlights from the rest.

You can email them to bustthenet@gmail.com

Ok, so I've been handed the 4-4-2 Narrow Diamond. A formation I detest with every fiber of my being.

Going with this set-up to begin with:

442nd_ti_zpsl1psyeit.png

442nd_zpsk6nysjpf.png

Simple configuration up top with a creator/scorer partnership and a playmaker just behind. In midfield my two CM's will hopefully provide balance by not being too aggressive or too defensive. My DLP(d) will (hopefully) dictate play from deep and help us to play the ball out of defence. My two WB's will provide the width; I've given them support duties because they're the only players I have on the flanks and I need them to exercise some defensive responsibility. Finally, I've went with two BPD's for no reason other than I have something of a fetish for them at the moment. If only I was given a formation with wingers, I could deploy my other current obsession: Raumdeuters.

I chose a Fluid team shape because I want my attacking players to offer some help in defence, and I also want the team to be relatively compact. Not entirely sure if this is the right choice. Time will tell.

Team instructions are relatively straightforward. I like patient, possession football. I may need to increase the closing down and defensive line at some stage.

Oh and St. Etienne are pish. The central defensive and midfield options are rather depressing.

Sounds interesting, I'll throw my name in as well.

wellmade - 4231 DM Narrow (this should be different from the 4231 narrow which jean0987654321 got)

I enjoyed reading the previous couple of instalments of this, and I could do with a nudge into getting properly to grips with 16 at last. Sign me up!

Cregan - 3412

Need to get some CBs in. I only have three?? Only two of them are worth starting.

Check the reserves for one guy who is decent enough for a backup (cant recall the name, but i think he is DLC and african!) Also one of the DM's (might be Pajot) is capable of playing at the back. I have a back 3 formation also!

Do we have a nice graphic for this thread? I can use it in the video or go whip a simple one myself.

A graphic is waaaaay beyond my ability ( / effort level :D ) - If you whip one up, and want me to add it to the OP let me know :)

I'd like to join in as well. I know the French league a little but tactically my success rate is very inconsistent, so I reckon it'll be good fun. Cheers.

Fraser - 4411 2 DM (We agreed to exclude 4411, but this is a different formation - and an interesting one actually)

This is quite the fun group :-)

Several questions.

1. How long is the challenge for?

2. Should we fix the countries : Italy, Spain, Germany, Holland, France

I am going with St Etienne, out of sentiment

Finally, if you guys are keen, just email me a pkm of your matches, say pick a game, once a month in game time. What I will do is a show that incorporates what I am doing with highlights from the rest.

You can email them to bustthenet@gmail.com

1. - The idea was for a single season, as it was just a "quick blast". However in past years many people have continue on past that (i didnt - last year i didnt get into Villareal, and the first year i lost the league title with litterally the last kick of the ball in the last game of the season which scarred me too much to continue!). I think following the "rules" for season 1 allows quite a good baseline / comparison, but then if people want to continue on past season 1 and perhaps have the signing restrictions relaxed, so they can really build a squad around their formation, that would be cool.

2 - We can do. The idea was that if we are doing one season it would make little difference (might moderately impact the difficulty of the Europa) but if your going beyond one season then yes it starts to impact. The reason i didnt fix them is i did not see it as a true "contest" as such, but if we want to say that list, maybe add England?

Yup we are all playing as St Etienne :) (btw - if anyone is my generation and can see that team name and not sing "slyvieee" is just wrong :D)

The video stuff sounds awesome. Once i get up and running i will send a pkm or 2. I have not yet started. Still working a bit on the Lazio save that i got a lot of help from the forum on!

wellmade - 4231 DM Narrow (this should be different from the 4231 narrow which jean0987654321 got)

Thanks a lot for that Jambo, will get on with this when I get back later.

I'd like to join please, Jambo98.

Looking forward to being allocated a tactic and getting started.

Saint Etienne should be a really interesting challenge.

Thank you.

Forza Doria! - 424 Wide

Hey I would be quite interested to give this a go. I've always wanted to do some kind of tactical challenge and this may give me the opportunity to analyse my tactics and write about them.

Poobington - 4132 DM Narrow

Just a quick check, as I've been using FM Touch a bit lately, is there any restriction to whether we use the full game or not?

We did say in previous years to use the full game to make it a fair comparison, since FM Touch does not contain any elements of tactical familiarity penalty (and with the likely hood of several sets of tweaks as we all get used to a different formation than we are accustomed to, it could make a difference).

That said, its not a contest as such, no points etc so these things are pretty loose - If you want to go FM Touch then nothing to stop you :)

Right, the pace of sign up for this has been incredible! Lets hope people can genuinely have some fun with it.

By my count, we now have 29 people signed up (with one - Jimmeth1985 yet to confirm) and allocated tactics. Have updated post 2 with the full list of users and tactics. I will post up a list of unallocated tactics in that post if i get time.

A note to also say if anyone else signs up over the next 24hrs or so, might be a delay in allocating a tactic. The black box has other responsibilities today (basically i have to go to a wedding reception party.....and its my own so i cant very well duck out to use the laptop :D). Tactic allocation shall re-commence at some point on Sunday :)

C'mon Jambo, get your priorities right - take the laptop !

Congratulations to the happy couple :).

I am technically away for 2 days (tis the missus birthday tomorrow as well) and the laptop is coming with me....it always does.

However i already managed to wangle spending parts of my honeymoon watching champions league, Europa league an even playing FMO......that and i am plotting to ensure that somehow the CL final can be shown at my wedding party tonight.....im on thin ice shall we say :D

Post 2 now updated correctly (i hope) showing all tactics allocated, all users signed up. If anyone spots an error (there is bound to be one....) shout.

Ok, first batch put through the randomator (it really needs a better name.......)

Craigus89 - 352

Repsalty - 4321 Narrow

Bluescreen 433 Narrow

2calvin -4123 DM narrow

Fosse - 5122 DM narrow

WaldyWaldy - 343 Diamond Wide

yau - 41311 DM Narrow

Barside - 4222 DM Narrow

HaroldHammond - 5122 Sweeper DM WB

Herne79 - 541

Jambo98 - 5212 Sweeper WB

Some um.....interesting ones in there!

jimmeth1985 and summatsupper - You didnt seem to 100% confirm you wanted to play so i havent drawn you a tactic. Just shout if you do want to join.

Oh my word what even is that formation haha.. Right, time to give this a go.. Also, congratulations!

OK, 4-3-1-2 narrow is a challenge for me. :eek:

I always use wingers and play wider. Great to do something different.

I expect huge problems against wider formations which a lot of the KI Teams use.

Here is my first attempt.

Bildschirmfoto2016-05-28um16.52.42.png

Mental = control

Team Shape = fluid

TI = shorter passing, slightly higher, hit early crosses.

First Idea was to play a fast counter game, but I suspect a narrow formation isn't suitable for that. So now I play a more possession based game.

How can I make the screen smaler?

Archived