Newcastle United Thread 2008/2009

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How has he gone from bad to worse, didnt he commit the offences before Newcastle signed him?

Hasnt done anything since signed.

The dabo incident idd happended while at Man City, but hasn't done anything since? Erm he punched some young guy several times outside of McDonalds. So he has, but not at the club.

The dabo incident idd happended while at Man City, but hasn't done anything since? Erm he punched some young guy several times outside of McDonalds. So he has, but not at the club.

Thats what he went down for wasnt it? Didnt he do that whilst at Man City also?

The Deportivo president is flying out to Venezuala tonight with the rest of the deportivo team so we'll either sign Coloccini today or not at all

We live in hope :)

Thats what he went down for wasnt it? Didnt he do that whilst at Man City also?

No, the incident were he punched that young guy outside a Mcdonalds happended after he had been transferred to Newcastle, If I recal it happended near Xmas time? Or perhaps just after? I'm pretty sure the second incident happended after his move anyway.

If anyone's bored or wants a good laugh (Shola and Smith upfront) we are on Setanta 1 at 7pm. I'm gonna watch it to see Spiderman make his debut. Bound to be a 0-0 draw tbh. Both teams sweltered in the heat. Vs Hertha Berlin btw

And Hopey, the rumours are Coloccini,Warnock, Arda (not likely), Inler(see previous) and Royston Drenthe on loan. Any of the previous would be good except I don't like us loaning players from big clubs

Just seen on Sky Sports according to reports in Spain the deal for Coloccini is done, just waiting for official conformation. Lets hope this is true and that we can get cover for full back position and hopefully a creative midfielder and I be quite happy with that. Anyone got the lineup for tonights game?

Harper

Geremi Cacapa Taylor CNZ

Gutierrez Guthrie Butt Milner

Smith Shola

Subs: Jose Enrique, Damien Duff, David Edgar, Frank WIafe Danquah, Ben Tozer, Tim Krul, Mark Doninger, Ryan Donaldson, Jonny Godsmark, Sebastien Bassong

Hetha Berlin:

Christian Fielder, Claudiano Bezarra Kaka, Teve Von Bergen, Sofian Chahed, Santos Cicero, Marko Pantelic, Rafael Caetano, Mark Stein, Rodneo De Lima, Bryan Arguez, Fabian Lustenberger

Subs: Jaroslav Drobny, Srdjan Lakic, Valeri Domovchyski, Maximulian Nicu, Sasha Bigalke, S.Radjabali Fardi, Lennart Harrtmann

No idea of Berlin's formation and I don't recognise any names in their lineup.

Gutierrez and Milner may swap sides

And Hopey, the rumours are Coloccini,Warnock, Arda (not likely), Inler(see previous) and Royston Drenthe on loan. Any of the previous would be good except I don't like us loaning players from big clubs

Aye mate I'm aware of the rumours but cheers anyway.

---

Rofl, Smith an Shola upfront what a combo I can see any defence being scared of those two, I mean they bang in the goals (Ops, sarcasm on a run there)

---

I hope Coloccini deal is done, but you know what rumours and spain are like. Spainish press etc don't have have good imaginations :D

Well - that was overall poor from what I saw. A lack of pace, which whilst I know being a friendly isn't a major one, but still. Very poor delivery from either flank and zero presence up front. Smith and Ameobi can't leave the club quick enough for me - the former just simply isn't good enough. Was impressed with Guthrie and Jonas, but overall we still need plenty work.

Strongly linked with Skjelbred and Derdiyok again and an Algerian who plays for Lens.

Skjelbred is a lifelong Toon fan and Derdiyok wants to join us to link up with Owen. Also I wouldn't have to sign Skjelbred on FM2009 if we signed him :D

Oh God, Another "Ashley to sell for £250M" exclusive from the NOTW. Suppose they had to write about something now that the Ronaldo and Barry stories have just about died out.

Oh God, Another "Ashley to sell for £250M" exclusive from the NOTW. Suppose they had to write about something now that the Ronaldo and Barry stories have just about died out.

More tabloid lies. The truth is that they have no more idea now of what is going on at the club, than we fans do. So they make stuff up. Sad thing is that many believe it, including some of our own lot. I mean, have a look at some of the comments, here - beggars belief. :thdn:

http://blogs.notw.co.uk/sport/2008/08/260m-newcastle.html

The one from the Manc fan is priceless. Ignorance at it's very best. :D

Officially there’s no limit on the length of a ban they could impose. Papers are just plucking a random number out of the air that looks good in print.

They're probably basing a lot of this on the Hartson/Berkovic incident which Hartson got 10 games for. Very similar except that case didn't result in legal action and Barton's got an even worse reputation. 10 game minimum I'd imagine, 15 isn't unthinkable.

Coloccini has apparently said he wants to join us and negotiations are at an advanced stage.

I really hope it's true, I don't care how much he'll cost, and I really hope we don't Bramble him up.

Anyone share my misfortune to sit through that? At least I was working, but still. :thdn: Was a poor performance overall - again lacking any creativity, chances, guile and pace. Duff and Bassong probably stood out, but the rest - not even average. Alan Smith again shocking and he's now gone 3 games without so much as a shot/header on goal. Get rid because he offers nothing to the side, apart from being overpaid backup.

I know it's only a friendly and we are still missing faces - but KK has a job on. A playmaker is a must, for me otherwise we are going to struggle to breakdown even average sides. Play like that against the Mancs in two weeks time, and we'll get scuttled.

• Administrators

Yeah I watched it, was pretty tempted to turn it off after 20 mins, but unfortunately sat through the whole lot. Agree that Duff looked sharp though never really wanted to pass the ball (in fairness in his situation I wouldn't have wanted to pass to the awfulness around him) and Bassong looked half decent. Can't really blame Harper for the goal either though and other than that he wasn't tested.

Particularly awful performances for the utterly dreadful Smith, overawed (in a friendly?!) Edgar and the slowly getting worse Milner. The rest just looked tired or were played out of position (through no fault of Keegan's, we had fook all players).

All in all our pre-season has been a pretty much waste of time due to the fact we've had no quality at all up front - just the wasters Smith and Shola. Hopefully everyone is as fit as they keep saying in the press because other than that there isn't really much else to look forward to. Looking at our centre-mids we really do need someone with a bit of quality and spark, no-one there strikes me as a player who can unlock defences.

• Administrators

Not at all, just another load of paper nonsense. Take it all with a pinch of salt now, he's looking for investment not an out and out buyer and until the official word changes it's just the press talking rubbish.

Was writing a long drawn out essay but got fed up and deleted it so thought I’d provide the executive summary:

None of our centre half pairings are good enough

We need cover for both full back positions

Most of our central midfielders are squad players and not good enough to be a regular starter

We’re desperate for someone creative in the middle of the pitch

We’re desperate for someone who can take a decent set piece

Despite having 6 centre forwards, they’re either injury prone or not good enough

We have no shape in the side whatsoever

As .com have pointed out - makes you wonder if Martins and/or Owen will be fit for the PSV and Valencia games. If not - could be a long and ultimately wasted 180mins of football for those who go. I won't be one of them - suffice to say. Last night was turgid at best - like if was on Friday night. KK must be tearing his hair out. It's one thing that some players aren't good enough - but so many going through the motions is something else altogether. :thdn:You'd think squad players would be busting a gut to impress. It appears not!

Subscribe to NUFC TV and watch the PSV Eindhoven and Valencia matches live on your PC! Catch the action from St James' Park and get a look at new summer signings Jonas Gutierrez and Danny Guthrie.

NUFC v PSV Eindhoven Kick off 7:45pm, Wed 6 August

NUFC v Valencia Kick off 3pm, Sat 9 August

For just 17.99 for an annual subscription to NUFC TV you can watch both live matches in addition to the following fantastic benefits:

Live match commentary

Highlights of every first team game of the season

Exclusive interviews and behind the scenes features with the BIG names

Extensive coverage of the Reserves and regular Academy reports

Massive video archive and interviews with former greats

Plus loads more!

For anyone who may be interested

very good point. didn't think of that

I'd be surprised if we bring in another CB, once Coliccini has signed on. A playmaker and another striker are still of paramount importance (keep repeating myself) :o :D

Anyone going tonight? I'm not, but hoping to tune in on Radio Newcastle if they are providing coverage. Think we might struggle to get 20K through the gate.

It’s a bit hard to justify bringing in another striker when we’ve got Owen, Martins, Viduka, Smith, Carroll and Ameobi all on the books.

Not saying that we don’t need one, but we probably need to shift some of the deadwood before we can bring in replacements.

I’d still at the very least make enquiries about Cuellar. Rangers are supposedly going to miss out on £10-12m this season so they might look at ways of recouping that, depending on how well they’ve planned financially.

• Administrators

I'd agree we're relatively fine for strikers, in an ideal world we'd shift Shola and Smith and maybe think about investing that money back in on a back-up for Vids - but then if we did that Carroll would never get his shot.

Playmaker we do need, our CM's really don't look up to scratch and a lot will depend on whatever system we end up playing this season. Cuellar would be an outstanding signing judging by his form for Rangers last year - but again we do seemingly have a lot of CB's on the books right now - Faye, Bassong, Taylor, Cacapa, Edgar not to mention Beye can fill in and (fingers crossed) Coloccini is on his way. (That isn't to say these CB's are that great, it's just if we only have so much money to spend, we do need to get cover for 'thin' areas.)

Would love to get Keegan, Wise and co in a room right now just to find out what targets we had that we've missed, who we're still in for and reasons why.

Archived