Newcastle United Thread 2008/2009

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's one for you. Friend of a friend of a friend etc...

Apparently Mike Ashley called a meeting because the corporate boxes aren't selling after having their prices hiked. To cut a long story short, one of the things to come from the meeting was that there'll be 3 signings in the next 10 days and one of them will shock everyone.

Obviously, i think it's bull. But i thought i'd pass on the rumours i heard tonight. Usually a semi-reliable source.

• Administrators

Apparently Mike Ashley called a meeting because the corporate boxes aren't selling after having their prices hiked. To cut a long story short, one of the things to come from the meeting was that there'll be 3 signings in the next 10 days and one of them will shock everyone.

Gazza it is then. :D

Obviously, i think it's bull. But i thought i'd pass on the rumours i heard tonight. Usually a semi-reliable source.

That rumour has been around for weeks. It then ended up getting merged with that one about us unveiling 3 players during the open training session.

There was a thread about this on NO, during the week posted by someone who said he was ITK. Still lots of speculation flying around at the moment. I'm just waiting for the doom-mongers in the media to come out and attack KK after we lose at OT, this pm. I expect a full-blooded attack tomorrow morning.

I think it will happen too.

Not confident for this afternoon. I'd be a lot happier if we had the 3 pronged attack from last season as basically. if we play one or two striker vs Man U, what are they going to do against Rio and Vidic? A 3rd player would give them something to think about considering we're goingi to get battered at the other end no matter who they play...

Can I also just add this excellent piece from True Faith, which is calling out the media for their seemingly incessant mission to undermine and destroy the club;

http://www.true-faith.co.uk/tf/features.nsf/0/009F19E810EEB315802574A70028E68E?OpenDocument

Put Up or Shut Up - 16/Aug/08

Ashley

true faith challenge to the football press

This new season is starting just as the last ended with the press attempting to undermine NUFC from day one. Last summer it was all about Michael Owen leaving NUFC. Well, they were wrong. Owen is still at NUFC, happy with his manager and the club and negotiating a new contract – we all want to see Michael Owen stay at NUFC and thrive under Kevin Keegan.

The press has it Ashley wants to sell – with a vacuum in communication from our owner they have filled it with stories the club is going to be sold. But it hasn’t been sold, there are no buyers on the horizon but Ashley has mentioned he is seeking further investment and let’s hope he is successful on that score. Still, the press are at it.

And we can only guess why. Under Shepherd, it seemed, in my opinion, there was a cosy arrangement where news was channelled to a number of chosen journalists (one in particular) from the Chairman’s office and the good old boys and girls with the lap-tops were kept happy and had a nice easy life. Less privileged hacks were forced to suck up to the man in the know and he fed them titbits and they obliged their master by staying in line. Step out of line and the news snippets stopped. Hey, just my opinion.

Hence the absence of any close analysis of the crass manner in which NUFC was run and evidenced by some of the financial details now emerging from the new regime.

It seems under Shy Mike, the club wants to do things differently with the media and whilst some – George Caulkin (The Times) and Michael Walker (The Independent) can get on with the business of being proper journalists and covering NUFC in an honest manner, others are simply in the huff at not being serviced in the way they were previously and the result of this being the day after we announced the arrival of a bona fide Argentine international defender, aged 26, approaching his peak and proven in arguably the best league in the world (La Liga) the usual suspects in the football press are so embittered and petty they will see fit to find a way of spinning the negatives the day after a bit of good news for NUFC.

We all know Wheyse Keyes Louise (The Guardian) is a joke – her journalism is the equivalent of throwing her knickers at Roy Keane and she can’t write her ‘kin shopping list without having a pop at NUFC but Jesus, Colin Young in The Mail (why anyone would read this right-wing Tory trash is beyond me but there you go) must carry some grudge from childhood when some naughty lads from Newcastle nicked his ket, broke his specs and chucked his latin home-work on the wet road. The lemon sucking reporting is something to behold but we are giving them a challenge …

Several of them broke the story of Ashley selling the club and quoted “sources” to back it all up (makes a change from “club insider”). Ashley has denied the stories of a potential sell up. These journalists must (cough) have hard evidence the club was being prepared for a sale, otherwise (ahem) they would never have run the story would they?

It is now for them to put up their evidence, show who their “sources” are publicly – name names, give us the dates, times and venues where Ashley’s representatives pitched NUFC to potential buyers. They must have this hard evidence, well, mustn’t they? We’re not interested in the “way journalism works”. We want the truth. Do they have it?

If they can show us the evidence we’re asking for, they will expose Ashley as a liar. This is their opportunity.

The football press have led on big news stories saying he is trying to sell NUFC. Before they move onto the next chapter in their “crisis at NUFC coverage” – KK and Wise don’t get on © (its still early days with this saga) let them finish the business they started with the Ashley to sell NUFC stuff.

Now is the time for them to prove Ashley wants or wanted to sell NUFC – not by sending daft e-mails to true faith with nods and winks and pathetic “we can’t tell you (“sources”) but …” apologies. Let them show us the evidence. Let them show us the smoking gun ...

Don’t hold your breath.

Keep On, Keepin On …

Great result there. More than happy at it, although lady luck played a huge part.

Jonas was fbbb and looks like he's been here ages. Collocini brought an aura of stability to us - even though we still looked vunerable. But the defence should easily tighten up. Guthrie looked solid and pretty promising too. Although Martins scored he's still giving the ball away far too easily for my liking - but hey anythings better than Shola or Smith.

I thought that manc Butt had blown it for us with the challenge at the end also. All in all a point at one of the hardest away days in the league makes it all the more valuable. Got the worst out of the way. Should be a little easier from here on in!

How so? If anything - it raises a bit of optimism. However as the lads at .com have pointed out, we need to back this result up by beating Bolton next weekend.

It was an excellent team performance today - only downside was some sloppy passing from Butt and Charlie on occasion, but that was tempered by some neat interplay down either flank and also a bit more pace throughout the side.

Happy enough with the point yesterday. Was a good result but not great. We could have nicked the win if Vidic and Ferdinand weren’t so awesome.

Thought the three new lads were excellent. Gutierrez’s work rate was immense and his pace could trouble some teams this season, while Colocinni looked calm and can actually pass the ball around a bit. Guthrie looks good when he’s on the ball and seems to be able to play long passes better than Butt.

Given was in good form as well. He looked a lot more agile than he has for a long time so hopefully his injury troubles are behind him and we see more of the these performances.

Martins continues to play as Jekyll and Hyde. Despite being unmarked, he scored a really good header but apart form that he just frustrated the hell out of me. We win the ball and he goes and stands towards the centre half, which wouldn’t be so bad if he played on the shoulder waiting for a through ball but he just marks himself out of the game. Watch Rooney yesterday and he’s constantly slipping between the two centre halves, pulling out wide, dropping deep etc. Plus Martins has this annoying habit of being high up the pitch for an attacking move, but if the ball doesn’t come to him he’ll just stand still while everyone passes him by. Make a run forward ffs.

Surprised nothing’s been mentioned about Keegan’s interview where he mentioned that Wise and Jimenez signed Gutierrez.

Loved seeing the Man Utd players rattled yesterday, especially Giggs and Ferdinand arguing. Gutierrez's defensive abilities and pace really surprised me.

Guthrie played very well yesterday and looks a very good signing, after one game. Surprised Butt got MotM from Sky, Jonas should have got it

Oh and well done to the club for their excellent handling of the friends and family seating arrangements. Six of us registered to have our seats together and five were seated together while one of us had to go and sit on his own. Guess who? Yes it was me.

Delighted with the draw. It still means nothing though....

Maybe i was a bit cynical last night when i wrote that. I was intoxicated. Basically we've wasted too many decent results in the past by getting beat or hammered at home in the next game...

We could have knicked it in the second half. Thought Coloccini was good but will get better and might be a good thing that he got thrown in the deep end. Feared the worst after the foul on the edge of the box early on. Jonas was great and Guthrie kept it simple most of the time without being negative. Very impressed with the new signings.

N'Zogbia cannot play left back, he was poor and out of position far too often yesterday. The couple times he broke with the ball, he was in a central position.

• Administrators
Sorin available for free from Hamburg...

Don't know how many things are wrong with that. Ridiculous wages for a 30+ player who had a major falling out with his last club? What happened to building towards the future and all that? Also been linked with Atouba, fingers crossed that's just more press rubbish.

Delighted with a point yesterday, especially missing Viduka and Owen and Coloccini thrown in at the deep end. Brilliant tactic decision from Keegan not to use any subs - had a horrible feeling he'd bring someone on just for the sake of it (Smith) and it'd cost us.

Unlucky to conceed a goal when Taylor was off, dodgy defending there from the Zog though - was also unlucky not to get a penalty when Jonas was through and the defender took him out. Did look like it may have been outside the box, but if he'd given it would have been interesting to see what colour the card was.

Can't be bothered to criticise anyone except the many fans (especially on Newcastle-Online) who said Given was past it and to get rid. Proved how stupid those statements were with his performance yesterday. Well done lads, couple of tough games against a decent looking Bolton and Coventry away who are perfoming well - just no resting on laurels please!

Can't be bothered to criticise anyone except the many fans (especially on Newcastle-Online) who said Given was past it and to get rid. Proved how stupid those statements were with his performance yesterday.

Yup i agree there, some people on there are far too quick to jump on players for poor performances, ive always been a Given fan and think he is the better keeper out of the two. People complain that players look short on confidence - you blame them when they get jumped on by some fans every error they make.

Great performance yesterday - really hope we can build on this and make this season a good one.

In terms of individual performance - I thought Jonas was fantastic. Given back to his best. Defence looked solid (bar N'Zogbia) looked solid - hopefully Coloccini and Taylor can get a good partnership going.

Really don't think that N'Zogbia can play left back for us. Positionally he was all over the place. I personally thought Enrique looked like he had turned a corner at the end of last season - however, it seems as if Kev has his reservations. If that is the case, we definitely need a new left back.

Guthrie looked very good. Plays it simple, looks to get stuck in and seems to have a decent amount of skill. Not sure if it is somewhat through auto-suggestion due to ppl saying he could be a Robert Lee like signing...but I actually thought he played a little like Rob Lee in his latter days.

Milner - worked very hard as ever.

Thought Duff seemed to have regressed back to the Duff of old. I don't know why he refuses to actually run at defenders. He misses out on so many opportunities by slowing down so much and not actually attacking full backs.

Have to say I did think that we needed to play Harper instead of Given, on last season's form. And on last season's form, I think I was entirely correct. Given was a shadow of the keeper he used to be last season, and has been really since the Harewood challenge. Yesterday, however, he looked back to his best.

Jonas gave full justification of why i got his name and number on the back of my shirt. His driving power forwards were good and his defensive work was quality. He had the run on Rooney in the first half with ease, he doesn't look like he is going quick but Rooney is no slouch. Lets hope he keeps it up :thup:

Guthrie played very well also. He got forward when he could and did he defensive duties too. Better passer of the ball and used it better than Butt. Hopefully he can maintain some form after a good pre season.

Coloccini was solid, he is good on the ball and has composure which was lacking in our defense. Hopefully with every game he and Taylor will build a good understanding and shore up that central defensive partnership.

Like most have said already, N'Zogbia is not a LB, i was amazed when i saw the line up and Enrique should be in there. We need solid defensive players and that's just what N'Zogbia isn't. Good awareness breaking forwards but hasn't got that bullish tackle and strength like Enrique has. I don't think KK has his full support of Enrique as a premiership class LB, which is dissapointing for both him and the club.

Milner worked hard up and down the right, Butt was ok and hearts were in mouths at the end when he mis timed that tackle for the Rooney free kick which was sent wide. Martins scored a very good goal but lacked the support he needed. Duff was pants. End of. The other thing was for corners, we brought everyone back, i think we need to leave someone up the field, Duff probably as he isn't the greatest defensive player we have. We get rid of the ball and no one is there to pressure the United defense.

All in all a better team performance with the few outstanding players mentioned.

• Administrators
Us and Spurs are interested in a left back from AZ Alkmaar. He's 21, from Belgium and apparently has a powerful shot

Was very good in I think FM07, and not bad in FM08 - apparently he also did alright at this years Olympics. Other than that haven't heard too much on Pogoncolli.

Oh and well done to the club for their excellent handling of the friends and family seating arrangements. Six of us registered to have our seats together and five were seated together while one of us had to go and sit on his own. Guess who? Yes it was me.

Unlucky. Apparently some of our lot were turned away with vaild tickets yesterday, from a thread I saw on NO.

Yup - I concur that Charlie isn't the answer for LB. I wonder why Enrique seems to have fallen out of favour?

I thought Coloccini did well yesterday too - he looks as if he could be a domineering DC, which is something we've been crying out for since Woodgate left. Obviously he (and Jonas/Guthrie) will need more time to bed in, but it definitely looks a bit more optimistic now. Still plenty of work to be done, however.

Yup - I concur that Charlie isn't the answer for LB. I wonder why Enrique seems to have fallen out of favour?

I thought Coloccini did well yesterday too - he looks as if he could be a domineering DC, which is something we've been crying out for since Woodgate left. Obviously he (and Jonas/Guthrie) will need more time to bed in, but it definitely looks a bit more optimistic now. Still plenty of work to be done, however.

I think Enrique didn't play because in pre-season he has made some mistakes so I guess for the Man Utd game Keegan didn't want to chance it altho zoggy isn't exactly solid at LB either lol :D

Coloccini looked good especially consider he has had no pre season games and has to adjust to EPL style of football so hopefully in a few games time he will be adjusted abit more. Him and Taylor look really promising together so I'm hopeful :)

Jonas was classy, I didn't think he was that quick tbh I was quite surprised but its not only his attacking play but his defending he put a real shift in, what a debut!

Guth's looked very promising indeed I have to say :)

Right, there are 13 days of the transfer window left, KK saying he would like to bring in 4 more signings before the close. After yesterdays game and the signings we've already made where do we need to strengthen now?

I'm thinking a Striker, RB/CB cover, Creative Midfielder, Defensive Midfielder(cover for Butt)

Thoughts?

Right, there are 13 days of the transfer window left, KK saying he would like to bring in 4 more signings before the close. After yesterdays game and the signings we've already made where do we need to strengthen now?

I'm thinking a Striker, RB/CB cover, Creative Midfielder, Defensive Midfielder(cover for Butt)

Thoughts?

A strong/tall striker.

I don't think we need RB or CB cover much, Bassong should be that CB cover and RB we can play Edgar or Kadar there if needs be, LB cover is probably more needed.

Creative midfielder is a definate!

Young/Promising DM might be a good idea too

Archived