Newcastle United Thread 2008/2009

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

Im taking over and posting this as it seems nobody wants to start it & im busy tomorrow. If someone could close the other thread that would be good. icon_smile.gif

Club Honours

LEAGUE CHAMPIONS

1904-05, 1906-07, 1908-09, 1926-27

F.A PREMIER LEAGUE RUNNERS-UP

1996, 1997

FOOTBALL LEAGUE DIVISION ONE (TWO) CHAMPIONS

FOOTBALL LEAGUE DIVISION TWO CHAMPIONS

F.A. CUP WINNERS

1910, 1924, 1932, 1951, 1952, 1955

F.A CUP RUNNERS-UP

1905, 1906, 1908, 1911, 1974, 1998, 1999

FOOTBALL LEAGUE CUP RUNNERS-UP

CHARITY/COMMUNITY SHIELD WINNERS

CHARITY/COMMUNITY SHIELD RUNNERS-UP

1932, 1951, 1952, 1955, 1996

EUROPEAN FAIRS CUP WINNERS

TEXACO CUP WINNERS

1974, 1975

ANGLO-ITALIAN CUP WINNERS

INTERTOTO CUP WINNERS

Board

Owner: Mike Ashley

Chairman: Derek Llambias

Non Executive Director: Steve Hayward

Non Executive Director: Justin Barnes

Executive Director (Operations): David Williamson

Executive Director (Football): Dennis Wise

Vice President (Player Recruitment): Tony Jiminez

Technical Co-ordinator: Jeff Vetere

Financial Controller John Irving

Head of Media Gary Oliver

Asst. Press Officer Mark Hannen

Programme Editor Paul Tully

Presidents

Life President: Sir John Hall

Honorary President: Bob Young

Coaching Staff

Manager: Kevin Keegan

First Team Coach: Terry McDermott

First Team Coach: Chris Hughton

First Team Coach: Steve Round

Role TBC: Arthur Cox

Reserve Team Manager: Adam Sadler

Goalkeeping Coach: Paul Barron

Academy Manager: Joe Joyce

Academy Coach: Kenny Wharton

Academy Coach: Steve Tweddle

Academy Fitness Coach: tbc

Academy GK Coach: tbc

Academy Physiotherapist: Kev Bell

Physiotherapist: Derek Wright

Fitness Coach: Adrian Lamb

Fitness Coach: Craig Russell

Head Scout: Lil Fucillo

Stadium

Home First Team Games

The capacity of the ground is 52,397 of which up to 3,000 are allocated to away fans. Of the rest there are approximately 39,000 season ticket holders and around 4,500 tickets are kept back to be sold on a match-by-match basis.

Squad

1. Shay Given

3. Jose Enrique

6. Claudio Cacapa

7. Joey Barton

9. Obafemi Martins

10. Michael Owen

11. Damien Duff

13. Steve Harper

14. Charles N'Zogbia

16. James Milner

17. Alan Smith

20. Geremi

21. Habib Beye

22. Nicky Butt

23. Shola Ameobi

25. Abdoulaye Faye

27. Steven Taylor

30. David Edgar

32. Wesley Ngo Baheng

34. Fraser Forster

35. Ben Tozer

36. Mark Viduka

38. Kazenga Lua Lua

39. Andy Carroll

40. Tim Krul

-- Tamas Kadar

-- Ole Soderberg

-- Fabio Zamblera

The poor sods that will do most of the posting

Ackter

Ceefax the Cat

Cliff7197

Jonny Pilko

Jeff the Fish

Joeyt

Michael Foster

magick beatty

Neil Purvis

nbrocky

nufc16

Return of the Geordie One

Roj Blake (Big Geordie)

Stu1892

Scott AM

ToMexico!

ToonToon_BarmyArmy

--------------------------------------

Hopefully with 4-5 new signings & a full season under Keegan we can try and get back into the top 6 but the top 8 seems more realistic.

Outstanding shot stopper, commands the box well, very agile and tends to read the game well has one glaring weakness however and that's his ability at cross balls. Affectionately known in some circles as 'McFlapper'.... He's pretty young and should get better at dealing with them, infact he has been getting slighty better from last season.

Originally posted by Ackter:

See there wouldn't have been this much mongery if ceefax had started the thread.

Foster, you just attract this mongishness like a Nun to anal beads.

tbh if you read last seasons thread it was pretty much the same, and i never started that, its just a newcastle thing. I dont really care what others think of me tbh.

Originally posted by bridport_james:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">LEAGUE CHAMPIONS

1904-05

Impressive here.

But seriously, if Kev gets things going well from the start of the season I reckon Newcastle could be quite high up come the end, with a few signings. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

bookmarked.

Originally posted by BBB:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bridport_james:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">LEAGUE CHAMPIONS

1904-05

Impressive here.

But seriously, if Kev gets things going well from the start of the season I reckon Newcastle could be quite high up come the end, with a few signings. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

bookmarked. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeh that is a LUDICROUS suggestion

Hopefully Man U will be in a meltdown following the sale of Ronaldo, and coupled with tiredness to their Euro 2008 stars and the bedding in needed for their new signings, I think there's a chance that... Ah, f#ck it. We're going to get thrashed. icon_frown.gif

Interesting piece in the Mirror of all places...

Mike Ashley has cultivated an image as a man of the people.

A year ago this weekend, the billionaire won control of Newcastle United with a £134 million buy out.

He's stood on the terraces in replica shirt (available at discount prices at his Sports Direct empire). He's turned up waving his wad at popular fans' watering holes in Newcastle, and bought everyone a pint.

He led a conga around the St James's Park boardroom when the Geordies beat Sunderland. It all went down quite well on Tyneside.

With his £1.9 billion fortune, surely Ashley's riches offered the prospect of investment in the team, a top six challenge, a fresh start from the soap opera and crisis and managerial turmoil of the old regime?

It is a year on Sunday since Ashley secured control of the club and he is about to face the biggest test of his reign.

But his easily won popularity is now on the line, and the direction of the club under scrutiny.

First let’s recognise the good developments. Chairman Chris Mort has taken time to listen to fans this season, given them a singing section, and extended the family area and its prices, at St James's to get kids coming again.

A Newcastle United Foundation has been set up to work on good causes in the local community. The club's debts have been cleared by a £70 million injection by Ashley, to stop it "folding like a pack of cards."

But now is the time for bold and innovative decision making at St James's Park, and they've got the first one wrong already this summer.

Season ticket renewals have belatedly been posted out this week, with prices hiked an average of 10%. (The average rise in the Premiership is 7.2%).

My family have seen their seats in the Gallowgate End hiked from £482 to £543, a rise of more than 13%.

So two season tickets, £1,086. The club is offering a reduction if you buy now for the next THREE seasons. So that means forking out £3,000 over the next few months, which most household budgets can't afford.

The myth that you can't get in to St James's Park without a season ticket was exploded long ago, and it remains to be seen how many fans decide to pick their games rather than pay up front.

After the turmoil of last season, when relegation still a frightening prospect in early April, Allardyce sacked and Joey Barton's disgrace, the gesture should have been to thank the Toon Army for their amazing loyalty and freeze the prices for a couple of seasons.

Instead the exploitation of fans and their loyalty continues, even by this new regime. No doubt because of their emotional connection with the club, most United fans will pay up, clinging to the hope that this might be THE season.

Perhaps the new regime calculated that Kevin Keegan's first full season back will mean punters taking the financial hit and renewing at any price, lured by Keegan's promise last March of a "re-launch" and "getting the place dreaming again."

Oh, yes, what happened to that "re-launch" and the big "dreams"?

Sources say Ashley has realised he can't make any money out of the football business. He wants the crippling wage bill of £80 million a year slashed. He wants £60,000 a week earners off his books, wants Michael Owen to take a pay cut.

Signings will be young promising players who will have a sell on value in four years time rather than established stars.

It may be a dose of economic realism the club's books need, but it does not conjure the kind of fantasy and dreaming that Keegan expected on his return in January.

Neither is the transfer cash spent over the last year anything special. Nine players have arrived for £21 million, and the same amount recouped with the sale of Kieron Dyer, Scott Parker, Emre, David Rozehnal, and the soon departed Shola Ameobi.

Ashley also needs to be bold on the Joey Barton front. Newcastle has had its reputation sullied too many times by off and on the field incidents and finally someone has to show a firm hand.

That means showing Barton, currently in jail for a brawl in Liverpool, the door. He was given a chance, he had the help of counsellors, friends and the club, and he blew it. Newcastle can't keep picking up the tab for their player's stupidity.

The anniversary of Ashley's coup in buying United will pass quietly, with no new player arrivals on the horizon until Kevin Keegan returns from holiday in a fortnight.

We are promised Ashley will be taking to the boardroom more often this season, mixing it with football business people rather than fans, and taking more of a hands on role.

Ashley is the man Keegan wants to work with to build up the club again, and the owner has got to prove that is his mission, not just cost cutting and price rises.

Earning long lasting good-will takes much more than wearing the shirt and buying fans a pint.

Don't agree with it all, but a few good points there, particularly on season tickets.

Originally posted by Doonhamer:

Listening to the Guardian pod cast last night and they reckoned the Newcastle squad have told they have to pay for their own club suits this year.

Ah, diddums. I have to pay for my clothes for work, and last time I checked I wasn't on £60k per week.

What’s people renewal plans? Ideally I’d like to be able to take advantage of the discount but there’s no way I can afford to pay for three seasons up front. Could possibly take out a loan but I doubt I could find one that would work so that the interest paid on the loan would be less than the savings made.

I think I’ll probably just pay for this season up front then commit to the next two seasons in order to take advantage of the price freeze. Workd out that if they’re true to their word about the prices going up 10% each year the prices will go something like this:

2008/09 £543

2009/10 £597

2010/11 £657

2001/12 £723

20012/13 £795

Probably miscalculated somewhere along the line and there's always the chance they could freeze prices at some point for a year, but if I get the price freeze for the next two seasons it'll be more noticeable when I go form paying £543 to £723.

• Administrators

I've read somewhere that you can get a Barclaycard where you can buy the 'season ticket' for three seasons interest free - something to do with being sponsors of the Premiership.

Can't get on websites from work, but would be worth checking out via a search. Think someone on Newcastle-Online mentioned it in the renewal thread.

Had a look online and there's the Barclaycard Football Credit Card, but I can't see anything about getting three seasons interest free.

It offers 0% interest on football season tickets (over £250), but doesn't say anything about whether that's just for one season or if it carries over.

Originally posted by cliff7197:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">until Kevin Keegan returns from holiday in a fortnight.

He's been returning from holiday in a fortnight for about 3 weeks now. icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd noticed that as well. Every single article mentions his damn holiday and the fact he will be back in a fortnight...

Originally posted by Neil Purvis:

What’s people renewal plans?

I work a lot of weekends currently, so I've not had a season ticket the last couple of years as it would be uneconomical. I just pay for the matches when I'm off work on a game-by-game basis. I probably end up going to about half of the home games.

However I just found out last week that I'm getting made redundant, so things have changed somewhat. Whilst I'm getting a nice 5-figure payoff which would easily allow me to buy a 3 year season ticket, I don't know how long I'll be out of work for or what hours I'll be working in my new job when I get it.

So yeah, basically I have no idea what I'm doing. icon_biggrin.gif

Neil, the barclaycard offer does include 3 year season tickets. Mine at the Boro is £1170 for 3 years i paid £470 in cash and put the rest onto my football Barclaycard. I'd rang them first and they said it was ok and would be intrest free. \o/

The thread was always going to have the usual suspects coming in and taking the p!ss, but starting it early and listing the ‘honours’ list probably didn’t help.

Roj going to be gutted his secret identity has been revealed.

• Administrators

Roj going to be gutted his secret identity has been revealed.

icon_biggrin.gif Thought that was a nice touch. Haven't got much Toon related stuff to say, we obviously need a good pre-season, Keegan to get the backroom in order a probably a few players. At the moment one of three would be a bonus.

Dangerously flirting between optimistic and pessimistic...can't quite make up my mind yet. Howay the lads!

Cool, how long does it normally take? The forms need to be back by next Monday so I don't know if that's too quick.

2-3 days for the card and the pin to arrive, i didnt need the pin at the Boro just the card and my sig.

Archived