Newcastle United Thread 2008/2009

Well, Everton have been rumoured to be making a move for Smith - I reckon Ameobi wants to see out the last year of his deal, before leaving on a Bosman. Still got a nagging feeling that Owen won't sign a new deal, and will therefore be off next summer. I wonder what ever happened to those proposed moves for Turan and Derdiyok?

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven’t seen anything with any substance on Alan Smith moving to Everton, just seems to be one journalist saying it and others following suit in fear of missing out. Even if it were true there’s still the issue of getting around his wages and I really can’t see where he fits into their formation.

I’m a bit concerned over Viduka’s contract because we don’t know enough about it. He’s going into his final year with the option of a year’s extension but we don’t know whose terms they will be on. Hopefully it will be up to the club to decide if he stays on but it wouldn’t surprise me if we’ve messed up again and it’s entirely in his hands.

I think he’s a great player, but he’s at the age where he’s always going to be picking up niggling injuries and we’d be better off letting him go at the end of this contract.

My worry is that when we signed him we’ve left it entirely up to him whether or not he extends his contract for another year so we could end up with him sitting on the treatment table for another year on big wages.

I think we’d be daft to have left it entirely up to him, but after the way we dealt with Barton’s contract and Ameobi’s loan nothing would surprise me.

No Smith in the side tonight - not even on the bench. Wasn't aware he had picked up a knock? Makes you wonder if there is something in the Everton link.....

No live coverage of the match on Radio Newcastle tonight - only updates. However, they are doing the whole Valencia game on Saturday.

Game finished 2-2. A bad error from Enrique led to the equaliser. Better performance than last weekend apparently, but some still reckon we are still giving the ball away too easily.

Oh - and the Coliccini thread on NO reckons that he's just officially signed for us. :)

Good performance from Milner, Gutierrez and Guthrie tonight. Glad we finally sorted out the Coliccini deal. Enrique and Cacapa both looked a bit dodgy tonight. Hopefully some full back cover and a creative midfield player can be brought in before the season kicks off.

• Administrators

Game was shown live on 'Newcastle TV' on the official site, likewise so will the Valencia game on Saturday - only £3.99 for a months trial so if you're desperate to see the match, that's how to do so!

Also Jonas looked good again tonight, looks like we may have got a player - in fairness Enrique did alright tonight, looked very sharp, just made one silly mistake which ended up costing us a goal (which in fairness was very well taken).

Also Smith has taken a knock, Keegan said as such and also said something along the lines of 'I knew you press lot would see more into this than there actually was!"

Even so, feck off Smith :(

Sources on Merseyside reckon Smith is probably gonna sign for Everton, for a fee in the region of £2-3million. Would be a good deal for us if it goes through. Smith's an honest lad, but has not been good enough at the end of the day. Perhaps a move elsewhere will give his career another kick-start.

Shame we didn't beat PSV last night it was defending that let us down on both occasions how we didn't clear our lines on either I don't know. At least we scored some goals tho I suppose.

Colo is so close now ;)

Still need some more signings tho, and I hope Smith is sold to Everton 3Million! I would take that!

.com are saying there's no more news on the Smith deal, since last night. A case of 'watch this space'. Apparently Thursday's Chron has us linked with a move for Fulham's David Healy. Decent backup or not? I know the lad has a great record at international level, but doesn't seem to have hit it off in the PL.

Just spotted Mike Ashley sitting in the crowd with Colocini on the back of his shirt. The deal must be completed now finally.

EDIT: Colocini is in the crowd aswell!

Awesome. Hopefully his experience will help us and possibly halve the amount of mistakes our defence makes.

Good performance today. Jonas, Duff and Milner all played well. Glad we finally got Colocini to strengthen the defence too. It looked like we are lacking an overall striker with plenty of crosses coming into the box but nobody on the end of them. Martins also looked sharp today until he was replaced by Smith.

• Administrators

With his pre-season form I'll be amazed if Duff doesn't start. Also Jonas still hasn't got his registration through (obviously complications with the deal), so although he's eligible for friendlies, he can't actually play in Premier League matches. Would be rubbish if he missed the Man Utd game :(

The complications for the Jonas deal are a worry. Makes you wonder what is going on and when he'll actually be able to play competitively for us. Kind of get the feeling that it's going to be something of a makeshift side which plays on Sunday. Not the best way to start a season, if that's what happens.:-/

There shouldn't be much complications but if I think I have it rightly its Mallorca end that is the problem there not pleased that Jonas did the webster ruling infact I think there mounting a legal challenge so they can get some money from Newcastle :/

Should be sorted out by Man U game I would have thought.

There shouldn't be much complications but if I think I have it rightly its Mallorca end that is the problem there not pleased that Jonas did the webster ruling infact I think there mounting a legal challenge so they can get some money from Newcastle :/

They're contesting the amount of compensation they should receive based on his wages - because he had performance-related bonuses, an option for another year of his contract and possible wage raises. It's not directly involving Newcastle, only because they'll obviously end up paying whatever amount is determined, on his behalf.

KEVIN KEEGAN is finally beginning to see light at the end of a long, dark tunnel as far as his strikers are concerned.

For Shola Ameobi unexpectedly returned to full training today, giving Keegan another option up front for Sunday’s first Premier League game of the season with Manchester United at Old Trafford.

I feel better already.

Ameobi 'may' make the bench for Sunday - no chance of getting in the first XI. Anyone heading down to the game? I'll be tuning in on SKY (at the old man's) before heading to work at 7pm. I severely doubt I'll be heading there bouyed by a good result. :D

Archived