Newcastle United Thread 2008/2009

Lots of paper tittle-tattle today - silly season is upon us once again. Apparently (!) Ashley is trying to sell the club (according to sources in America) for £420million. Informal discussions are said to have taken place.

Also Martins is again linked with Arsenal, and has been quoted as saying;

“Arsenal is a big club that everyone wants to play for. I am thrilled and it will be nice to play for such a team.

“But, now that I am a Newcastle player, there is nothing much to say. If it is true, both clubs would have to reach an agreement.

“Is Arsenal a good club? Yes. Would I love to play there? Probably, if Newcastle are ready to listen to them. But if Newcastle says no then it’ll be no.â€

“Because I still have a contract, I expect the club to speak to me when I get back. I am not saying I want to go but, if anything happens, that’s football.â€

-------------

Make of that what you will. As someone said on NO - it appears he was asked leading questions, and gave fair enough answers. Will be interesting to see if the club do ship him out.

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Forgot to add that both of those stories originate from The Sun. A quality source for all sports news - remember the paper that said earlier this week that Barton had been sacked. icon_rolleyes.gif I wish that one was true, however!

A wealthy construction company run by the family of terrorist Osama bin Laden has emerged as a front-runner to buy Newcastle United. (Mail on Sunday) icon_eek.gif

Not sure if I find this funny or a bit weird

Good write up on True Faith that's worth a look. Interesting (and good) to see a fanzine asking the right questions - something which the lads at .com seem to have been ducking over recent weeks (though they may have been on hols, etc)

Link

I think the Guthrie signing is a good one. KK looking to bring in long term as well as good cover for the midfield. Could he be used as some sort of possible cover for either full back position?

We need to still bring in the creative minded midfielder still and another commanding centre half. I think we lost out on Crouch, he would have been a good signing for us if we showed some interest in him.

Read somewhere N'Zogbia is looking to leave with either Arsenal or Spurs as possibly destinations, better of him staying here and actually playing games for us.

Guthrie - looked good in parts, quite lively, technically decent but very lightweight and there wasn't much end product - 30 games, 1 goal, no assists. Played gradually worse as the season went on, but it was his first season in the first-team at the top-level. Looked like a prospect at times, but in the end we decided not to pursue him - the fans are 50/50 about whether he should have been kept on.

Has a decent pass from time to time but I wouldn't want to rely solely on him for creativity. I think he's got the potential to be quite useful as a backup which I presume is what you're buying him for. Can't see him being a world-beater however.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11678_3805395,00.html

Newcastle United winger Charles N'Zogbia has declared his interest in signing for Arsenal or Tottenham Hotspur.

The Frenchman has been linked with a move away from St James' Park following reports that he is unsettled on Tyneside.

N'Zogbia, who started 27 Premier League matches last season, has four years remaining on his current deal.

However, the 22-year-old has revealed that he will hold talks with manager Kevin Keegan to discuss his future at the club.

Dream

N'Zogbia told France Football: "At the end of last season I didn't play a lot, so that has given me desire to play somewhere else. When I will talk with the coach it will be clearer. My priority is to play.

"I have dreamt about Arsenal since I was kid. I would be delighted to join the Gunners. It is a famous team that has big coverage in France. But Tottenham is exciting too.

"I have never played in Ligue 1. That could be an experience in my career. But frankly, it is not my current priority. I am playing in one of the best leagues in the world. And I feel a little like at home here."

----------------------------

Bye then.

Guthrie will have come in as cover no doubt - particularly if we decide to bin Barton. Still need more new faces through the door however. Also interested to see Charlie talking up a move for himself to Arsenal. I can't see him being a Wenger player though, as he seems to be sulky. We'll see though.

• Administrators
Georgy Terzkiev (16 year old from and playing in Bulgaria) has joined us on trial for a week and we are monitoring Kevin Monnet Paquet from Lens who is 19. More teens at the club?

We had two lads from somewhere in Eastern Europe on trial last week, at least that's what was reported. One of our old players is out there and recommended them to the club.

Yes, I think this is the Bulgarian's second trial at the club. Apparently this French lad is the new Henry but we are still watching developmnets. If he was the new Henry we should sign him straight away but he might not be the Real McCoy

Yes, I think this is the Bulgarian's second trial at the club. Apparently this French lad is the new Henry but we are still watching developmnets. If he was the new Henry we should sign him straight away but he might not be the Real McCoy

I hope he's the new Bruno Cheyrou

• Administrators

Bridge is a very very good full back and would be a fantastic addition to a club of our stature. Would be a good player for Enrique to learn off of, but then would the Spaniard really want to be a back-up? Just a bit bizarre to actually have half decent footballers in both full-back positions after the shambles of Carr and Baba, and players like Elliott and Hughes filling in.

Saying that liked Hughes as a player, especially compared to the awfulness of Bramble and O'Brien.

In other news, the website True Faith somehow managed to vote Nicky Butt their player of the season, despite almost all other NUFC associated sites having Beye winning by a canter. Butt did alright when KK came in, but is severely limited in many aspects, especially for a CM.

Won't be especially happy to see Butt starting first game of the season in my honest opinion. Not denying his fantastic experience and ability to read the game, but his passing and movement are just totally shot.

Apparently you want Insua on loan for the season from us. Given that we now have Aurelio, Dossena and Arbeloa to cover at a push, I wouldn't mind Insua getting some first team action for you lot. We could probably do with the loan fee as well tbh.

I rate Bridge, should be ahead of Cole in the England squad at least. He's good going forward and can defend well. We need to sign some English players and he would slot straight in ahead of Enrique i think. Not saying Enrique is a bad player.

Loaning Insua in would only result in if we don't sign a player to cover the LB position. Said all along Pablo Aimar would be a great signing. But still these are all rumours, yeh we've signed 2 players so far, we need to follow up these rumours with some bids and get some players in.

We’re always linked with Bridge but he’s never shown any inclination whatsoever at wanting to leave Chelsea. Seems to be happy enough as number two to Cole and only just signed a new contract a year or two ago so can’t see anything major happening that will change his viewpoint.

• Administrators
...we need to follow up these rumours with some bids and get some players in.

Who is to say we aren't making bids all the time? Just because we don't have Fat Fred constantly telling Oliver and co. in the press doesn't mean we aren't making progress behind the scenes.

Seems a case of being damned if you do and damned if you don't in regards to how much information is revealed before players signing.

• Administrators

Apologies for the trips, but seems as though Kadar could be on his way to Norwich for some experience:

Canary Corner understands that Newcastle youngster Tamas Kadar is set to join the club on loan in order to strengthen, what is, a lightweight defence.

The 18 year old Hungarian youth international has only been at St James's park since January of this year, after signing from Zalaegerszegi TE, where he made 14 appearances and scoring once, after making his first year debut at the age of 16.

With just Shacks and The Doc being the only recognised first team centre backs, his arrival would certainly be an added boost for the team.

Kadar also spent a time on trial with Bolton, before being snapped up by The Toon. [/Quote]

Archived