Newcastle United Thread 2008/2009

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sunderland are being linked with a £2.5m move for Diouf.

Get him snapped up Kev.

No way, for me.

Just been reading some of the post-match comments on NO. Seems we were rotten yesterday, with Smith and Ameobi turning in performances for which they've become well known. The longer it goes with no more new faces coming in, the more worrying it gets. Our back-up players are either not good enough or have no interest.

keegan gives barton second chance

newcastle boss kevin keegan insists controversial midfielder joey barton still has a future with the club.

Barton is set to leave prison next week after serving a six-month prison sentence for assault, and keegan said he will give him a second chance.

"people have opinions, and you must respect those, but mine is to give him another chance and back him," keegan told bbc radio 5 live's sportsweek.

"there are a lot of things he needs to put right - but i think he can do it."

barton, serving his current sentence for assaulting a teenager in liverpool, was also recently convicted of assaulting former manchester city team-mate ousmane dabo but escaped another jail term when handed a suspended four-month sentence.

"joey will be back with us towards the end of this month," said keegan.

606: Debate

can barton resurrect his newcastle career?

"it's well documented he's had his problems, but i knew of them when i took over. He's served his sentence, he's been punished for what he did wrong.

"the world is littered with people that have been given a second chance and taken it with both hands.

"i told him as long as from now on he did things right and started to rebuild the confidence of people around him, i would stick by him.

"the joey barton that we had in the last couple of months of the season was a much-changed character.

"i'm hoping that he'll come back and we'll get him fit. It's up to joey to put things right now - he's got to win over a lot of people."

meanwhile, keegan expects club captain and england striker michael owen to sign a new contract with the club "in the next two or three weeks".

"i am not involved with that, the way the club works, that is for (executive director of football) dennis wise and (vice-president of player recruitment) tony jimenez to do. But i believe we will," he said.

"i know michael wants to stay and i know we want to keep him, so that's two good reasons why it should happen."

keegan, in his second spell as newcastle boss, believes the club can improve on their 12th-placed finish of last season.

"top eight [in the premier league table] would be success for us," he said.

"between fourth and eighth would be a big step up if we're honest. That would be fantastic."

. .

You can't make this **** up, can you?

From the above article:

Newcastle offered £2m a fortnight ago for Warnock and raised that by approximately £1m last week, and Duff has been included in negotiations. A straight swap is a possibility.

That £2m must have been Keegan's (Or Wise, or whoever is in charge) idea of a joke, surely? Apparently they thought it was so funny they've decided to take it even further.

I mean, which club wouldn't want to trade an international 26 year old left back, a position where the only backup is a youngster with 4-5 senior appearances, for a 29 year old who (1) has been injured for the past five years, (2) is on three times the salary of the player we're getting rid of and (3) plays in a position where no strengthening is needed. I get that clubs want to try the resolve of our new management team, but this is just getting silly.

Duff was a fantastic player at Ewood, and in his first year or two at Chelsea, but the only way I'd want him back now would be cheaply, with both fee and salary dependent on appearances.

Reports that Collocini(sp) and Bassong will sign before we go to Mallorca

Lets hope so, although i read Coloccini wants to stay at Deportivo.

I can't see KK letting Duff go to be honest, although he didn't play much or well last season KK will get him going again. Although does Jonas play LM or in the Centre?

Warnock would be a good signing though.

oh so Jonas is his actual name, i only called him that because i can't be bothered to spell his other name incorrectly!

well wherever he plays lets just hope is awesome and not another Luque.

Read that a couple of players are becoming conscious of the lack of signings being made namely Smith. We need to start producing the goods, just under 2 weeks to the big kick off now. Fulham who seem to have nothing and Sunderland are pulling off signings left right and centre, these are the teams we are battling with again this season and we've done nothing to strengthen to come out top.

I hope we manage to get Coloccini, not that I've seen anything of the lads (from what I remember!). It'll just be good to have another body through the door and of course, he must be fairly decent if he's managed 20+ caps for Argentina. Weren't we also linked with Burdiso from Inter, over the weekend?

random I know, but I was just reminded how much
was a good goal. good to see you have always had big crowds

About average for what Boro got for home games, last season?! :p I was there that day - was bitter cold (I was stood in the Gallowgate End)

slightly more probably :D

I remember listening to that game on the radio, that was the 1st season I started following us seriously. went to Roker Park and watched us get beat 1-0 by a Peter Davenport goal :(

The club have officially confirmed Barton will be staying with us, but won't comment any further which will no doubt lead to loads of speculation reported as fact.

It was always going to be inevitable, when the club took no action back in May/June after he was sent down. I'd imagine (!) his contract will have been renegotiated with a possible wage cut and also a get out clause for us if he steps out of line again. The latter for me, will only be a matter of time. Will be interesting to see what kind of reception he gets from the regulars at SJP.

Yup - seems as if the kid is gonna sign for a fee of around £1.5-2million. Here's some quotes he gave to Setanta (taken from NO);

“I’m content, very satisfied to sign with Newcastle,” Bassong told setantasports.com.

“To be honest, I didn’t expect this to happen, it’s huge for me.

“No, it’s not a dream come true to me, but it’s impossible to measure how motivated I am.

“The law of competition will show who plays and who doesn’t.

“I’ll have to adapt during a period of time, I don’t know how long it’s going to take me.

“Nevertheless, I’m ready to sit on the bench if I have to.

“I will be played at centre back, oh yes.”

Barton's finally broke his silence:

"The first day's the toughest, no doubt about it. They march you in, hand you your uniform and force you to pose for the photographer while loads of fat, tattooed, skinheads shout abuse at you. That's when you know it's for real. A whole life blown away in the blink of an eye. Nothing left but all the time in the world to think about it. That's when it hits home. That's when you realise you've signed for Newcastle."

Also the NotW are saying that KK still wants Lennon from Spurs. Doubt it will happen butI wouild love it if we did sign him. He'd have to compete with CNZ, Spiderman and Milner on the wings though.

And it is the NotW

• Administrators

Not only would Lennon be a horrible signing but it wouldn't make any sense whatsoever. The only position we are seemingly covered for are the wings, so why the hell would we sign more wingers?!

So people's views on the possible signing of Coloccini? My only worry is his slight lack of pace, he never looked that quick which can mean trouble in the EPL.

Bassong I think will be a good signing for 1.5Million, he has potential he looks like he can read the game well and organise as-well.

Still need a creative midfielder imo, hope we get one. Wouldn't mind Newcastle getting Mountinho but I doubt it will happen :(

Yup - a playmaker is still a major priority, for me. I suspect though that KK will sign another defender, even if we do bag Coloccini. Barton being back in the fold suggests to me that he's very much in the manager's plans.

Coloccini's agent was on Setanta today saying we should be looking at other defensive targets cause we might not get him because of the Deportivo chairman. I'd be gutted if we missed out on another top target when the deal looked all set to go through. I would still like us to go for Moutinho we must have the money if we were in for Modric. Whether he would come to Newcastle or not we should still be trying.

Lets hope we can follow Bassongs signing up with that of Coloccini, although the longer it goes on the less likely its going to happen imo.

I hear rumours Spurs are now bidding for him too lol, Coloccini agent had threated to use the webster ruling and for Coloccini to buy out his last year, if he really wants a move why doesn't he? I know its not as straight forward as that but I feel sadly that it is looking less likely we will get Coloccini be a shame to miss out as he is quite a good defender :(

sigh ;[

Only charged now because they had to wait for the court to finish their proceedings iirc. As it was a criminal matter, had to be dealt with by the courts before the FA could get involved.

Newcastle already crying about it too - even though they knew this was the case and would happen once the court case was over.

Just what he deserves to be honest, he's gone from bad to worse since he joined. Get him out and give someone else the chance. Yeh he has some talent in him but he is never going to be liked by the players at Newcastle and who are playing against him. He needs to keep his head down for a few years to get some respect back from everyone. He needs to learn and learn the hard way.

Archived