Newcastle United Thread 2008/2009

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was going to make a similar point earlier. We’re only lacking in a few areas, it’s more quality over quantity we need. If you just count our first team squad it goes something like this:

GK: Given, Harper, Krul, Forster

DL: Enrique

DR: Beye

DC: Taylor, Faye, Cacapa, Edgar, Bassong (Colocinni?)

ML: N’Zogbia, Duff

MR: Milner, Gutierrez

MC: Barton, Butt, Guthrie, Geremi

SC: Owen, Martins, Viduka, Smith, Carroll, Ameobi

Obviously the full back positions are looking a bit thin, but how many clubs have cover for both full back positions and don’t resort to playing people out of position?

The papers are at it again with the 'sell before you can buy' story today. It's complete rubbish. I'd take £7-9million for Milner, as long as we have a replacement lined up. The kid is a very good player, but his final ball/crossing sometimes leaves a lot to be desired.

Ameobi is also thought to be in talks with Ipswich - a fee of £2million rising to £3.5million is being suggested.

Not even sure we’d need a replacement for him. Duff and Gutierrez are more than capable of playing on the right and Geremi had some good games there when Beye was behind him.

One of the things the papers are missing is that Keegan did exactly the same when he was last in charge. Whenever a club was interested in a player he’d big them up to high heaven then sell them off. It had nothing to do with him not wanting them to leave, he was just making sure he got the best price possible.

Milner played about three games under Keegan when he joined in January and while he was injured for some, he just didn’t fit into Keegan’s tactics. We still have no idea what formation we’re going for, so it wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest to see Milner go.

Milner was injured for much of the rest of the season, when KK took over? I know Duff and Jonas can play either side - I'd still prefer to have a right-footer down the right wing though.

Looking like we are going to get battered on Sunday - no confirmation over the Jonas/Coliccini deals, Martins possibly out. Another token resistance effort methinks - home banker. Would have been nice to have put up a fight at OT for once.

I don't think Milner will be sold, I'm hoping Ameobi and Smith are tho!

What makes it worse is that Newcastle keep things quite quiet nowadays, so numerous rumours just appear and then get hyped up. Keegan doesn't have to sell before he buys, Ashley has stated that there is money for Keegan even tho we owe £27Million in transfers fee's to numerous clubs.

I agree our squad needs quality not quantidy, and there lays the problem we used to just buy players for the sake of it (So it seemed) without adding quality. Now we are focusing on quality, yes we have a small ish squad but we are covered in most area's with the exception of LB now. We still need a creative player in the middle but I don't know if that is happening now, it was looking more like Milner would be that player as Keegan has used him there before. Guess we will have to wait and see. Only positive at the moment is Duff's pre-season form has been good, I hope he stays injury fee and keeps it up!

Apologies for any bad spelling/grammar/typo's, not had my morning coffee yet just woke up :D

• Administrators

To be honest although we aren't 'strictly' covered in the full back positions, Geremi and Taylor can both 'fill in' at right back, likewise Bassong and N'Zogbia at left back. Not to mention Kadar has always done well in the reserves and he's listed as someone who can play left-back.

I can't honestly recall Keegan having loads of success bringing through youngsters, I think SWP was already well on his way when Keegan took over at Man City and obviously he scrapped the reserves here last time around.

Obviously cover would be a bonus, but it's not as doom and gloom as it could potenially be.

I’d dispute N’Zogbia being adequate cover for left back. Personally I think he’s awful there. We lost loads of goals last season from situations where he was directly to blame.

Not that I think he’s a bad player, he’s just not a left back and the only credentials he seems to have for being there is that he’s left footed and has a bit pace.

• Administrators

I agree that N'Zogbia defensively is a liability at LB, but when he does play there he does add an attacking threat when we go forward. The French must also see something in him there, they often play him LB for the U21's. And those two credentials are two more credentials than Babayaro ever had there! :D

BBC seem to be reporting that Faye is on his way to Stoke for 2 million or so...

Not sure what I think about this - he played ok last season, possibly expected more from him than he produced though. Having said that - he played better than Taylor last season. But I suppose Faye is 30 years old now, on a fairly high salary, and is probably not going to be a first choice central defender in a top 6 team (which is what we are aiming for I suppose).

• Administrators

Seems an odd decision as he was one of our better defenders as you say. Rumours have him on £40k + a week, but you know rumours. I'd be slightly disappointed to see him leave, he's a bit clueless positionally but he's certainly an intimidating player who on his day has enough about him to be a very good player.

Maybe Kev has enough faith in a couple of the younger players such as Bassong, Edgar, Kadar and Tozer or has someone else coming in. When I first read about it all though I thought it was paper rubbish tbh.

I think I envisaged us starting with Taylor and Coloccini (assuming we actually sign him), with Faye and Cacapa as reserves. To have Cacapa as our 3rd choice centre back is quite bold... Unless this is paving the way for a new signing. Please please not Anton Ferdinand or Gabbidon...

Also - I don't suppose Faye fits in with the whole 'let's get a load of young players, on lower wages, with a sell on value'. 40k + a week is what I had heard as well - which is a lot for a player of his ability.

Hopefully now we can have a bit stability with the defence. Thoughtlout last season we were constantly tweaking thew back line and went through loads of players including Enrique, N’Zogbia, Taylor, Faye, Cacapa, Rozehnal, Edgar, Beye and Carr. That’s nine players constantly rotating for four positions.

At the back end of the season we mainly kept the back four of Enrique, Faye, Taylor and Beye (apart from when injuries forced Edgar to step in) and conceded 9 goals in our last 9 games, which is a vast improvement on the amount we were shipping previously.

The best defences work when everyone knows who the back four is and they play togther regularly. You only have to look at the likes of Man Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal to see examples of clubs where everyone knows who the best back four are and the other players either accept being backup or move on. We need to adopt a similar approach. Moving the club forward is more immportant than keeping players happy, so at the moment I’d say our back is likely to be Enrique, Taylor, Coloccini and Beye. The others should be made clear to them that they’re backup and either accept that or look for another club.

Another factor with defence is the support received form midfield. Our defence regularly gets slaughtered, and rightly so at times, but a lot of the time they’ve over exposed due to an attacking midfield with no cover form the midfield. It’s no surprise that our best period for defence came when we switched to the 4-3-1-2 and Butt, Geremi and Barton were alll tracking back and helping out the defence. If we go back to a 4-4-2 with wingers puming in crosses then the central two are going to need to work hard to provide some cover.

Splashing out big money on a centre half is going to be useless unless he’s in a stable defensive unit and has support from midfield.

Hopefully now we can have a bit stability with the defence. Thoughtlout last season we were constantly tweaking thew back line and went through loads of players including Enrique, N’Zogbia, Taylor, Faye, Cacapa, Rozehnal, Edgar, Beye and Carr. That’s nine players constantly rotating for four positions.

At the back end of the season we mainly kept the back four of Enrique, Faye, Taylor and Beye (apart from when injuries forced Edgar to step in) and conceded 9 goals in our last 9 games, which is a vast improvement on the amount we were shipping previously.

The best defences work when everyone knows who the back four is and they play togther regularly. You only have to look at the likes of Man Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal to see examples of clubs where everyone knows who the best back four are and the other players either accept being backup or move on. We need to adopt a similar approach. Moving the club forward is more immportant than keeping players happy, so at the moment I’d say our back is likely to be Enrique, Taylor, Coloccini and Beye. The others should be made clear to them that they’re backup and either accept that or look for another club.

Another factor with defence is the support received form midfield. Our defence regularly gets slaughtered, and rightly so at times, but a lot of the time they’ve over exposed due to an attacking midfield with no cover form the midfield. It’s no surprise that our best period for defence came when we switched to the 4-3-1-2 and Butt, Geremi and Barton were alll tracking back and helping out the defence. If we go back to a 4-4-2 with wingers puming in crosses then the central two are going to need to work hard to provide some cover.

Splashing out big money on a centre half is going to be useless unless he’s in a stable defensive unit and has support from midfield.

Pretty much agree with every word you have said there. Ppl are always quick to point the finger at our defence, when more often than not, our midfield is to blame.

I think I saw a blurb about it in the Times 'rumours' section today.

Coloccini to go straight into first team on saturday ? Not sure about his fitness, registration and the usual stuff

His fitness should be fine he was training with depor all of summer until least week when he came over and has been training with the Newcastle squad all this week so I presume he is in good shape. I think he should be registered and fine for Sunday but time will tell I guess :)

Where did you hear that from?

Very sensible move for every single party involved there I reckon.

My usual source, journalist Alan Nixon who posts regularly on a Rovers board. Writes mostly for the Mirror, but is nonetheless rarely wrong when it comes to Rovers stuff.

• Administrators

Keegan Quotes:

"It looks like Abdoulaye Faye is going to Stoke and Shola Ameobi has been given permission to speak to Ipswich Town. "But that's the end of players going out.

"And if those deals do happen there will be some more players coming in."

Also from Kev:
"He is the last player that Newcastle United want to sell, and I'm talking about the owner and myself, James Milner won't be leaving here, I'm sure of that."

• Administrators
It's Amdy Faye that Stoke has signed.

Makes sense that we have a decent replacement before we contemplate selling Faye and depend on only the poor Cacapa and the inexperienced Edgar as backups.

Those were quotes directly from the official website, are you saying Keegan doesn't even know who he's selling now? :D

Glad to see both Jonas' and Coloccini's transfers are completed. We now need to ensure we get Tiago in on loan/permanent deal ahead of Everton who are interested.

We need another striker me thinks! Who is another matter...we need someone with Premiership experience and who can score goals...no one young/inexperienced...we need proven quality..

Archived