Newcastle United Thread 2008/2009

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That crap paper the Sun linking us with a move for Aiden McGeady today in a player plus cash deal, that player being N'Zogbia. Keep N'Zogbia me thinks, as i'm not sure how good McGeady actually is.

Thoughts on the unlikely deal?

Who on earth would start the bidding for a 26 year old England international with four years left on his deal, at £2m? Oh, nvm...

What is the situation with Warnock? Likely to leave? How well did he play last season?

Would he really want to come to us and potentially be second choice left back anyway?

What is the situation with Warnock? Likely to leave?

No.

How well did he play last season?

Very

Would he really want to come to us and potentially be second choice left back anyway?

I don't think he'd want to come as first choice (And he's better than what you have, which your management seems to agree with), which is why this baffles me.

I just get the feeling that we are not going to hear any transfer news til the transfer has actually gone through. Anything else is mere speculation. Frustrating at times...

To be honest, everyone can see the squad needs strengthening - I can't believe, despite the numerous conspiracy theories ppl keep peddling, that Mike Ashley, even if he wants to sell the club, could think that we can enter the season with the squad as it is.

No.

Very

I don't think he'd want to come as first choice (And he's better than what you have, which your management seems to agree with), which is why this baffles me.

Well... that's what is odd though. Enrique played well towards the end of last season and has the potential to be a very good left back indeed. So I am not entirely sure why we even need Warnock. Would be a strange move.

Enrique needs some competition. That's all.

I just get the feeling that we are not going to hear any transfer news til the transfer has actually gone through. Anything else is mere speculation. Frustrating at times...

To be honest, everyone can see the squad needs strengthening - I can't believe, despite the numerous conspiracy theories ppl keep peddling, that Mike Ashley, even if he wants to sell the club, could think that we can enter the season with the squad as it is.

I agree - it would be suicide to go into the new season, with squad that we have at the moment. It's just too small. This coming season seems to be more about cost cutting/streamlining the club, so I reckon the best we can hope for is a mid-table finish, with the possibility of a cup run (if luck goes our way) It is frustrating, but maybe's it's no surprise after the boom and bust years of Shepherd.

Don't think we need a defensive midfielder tbh. Where does Seb Larsson play in the midfield?

I think we need someone to potentially take over from/rotate with Butt. Unless we groom either Guthrie or Barton to play that role. Maybe not a priority this season, but certainly something I would like to see happen by next season.

• Administrators

I'd say we could also do with a RB, as the only other back-up we seem to have is Geremi or a CB playing there. We certainly need 2/3 CM's, depending on Barton's situation, unless Milner will play this season in the middle (which isn't the worst idea ever as his work-rate is spot on). We do need a playmaker type though, someone who can dictate tempo and play decent through balls to our quick strikers and wingers.

Also agreed with the LB, CB and ST. Basically the only positions we seem okay are the wings and GK. Will just have to wait and see, but from the soundbites from Keegan he's certainly keen and certainly looking.

Enrique needs some competition. That's all.

If it's just "competition" you want for him, then surely there'd be better ways to go about it than paying £5m+ (Because that's what it'd take as a minimum) for Warnock. And as someone who's just broken into the England team, and is a starter at a currently better team, it'd just make no sense for either party. Unless Keegan wants him to replace Enrique, or Enrique wants to leave.

Either way, I hope our chairman tells you (Again) that he's unequivocally not for sale. And hopefully you'll listen.

The Milner story was in yesterday’s gossip column from a story in the Daily Star. Wouldn’t read too much into it. I can’t see Liverpool splashing out on anyone until they’ve got Barry sorted (if they ever do).

• Administrators

Just to go back to Warnock, everything I've seen of him suggests he's a very good footballer, and we know Keegan still has an affinity with Liverpool, so one of their old boys would probably be an ideal signing for him. I know Enrique encouraged with his performances last year (and by all reports he's slimmed down over the summer, maybe even has a few extra yards of pace!) but if Warnock came, it would be a proper battle for the position, probably Warnock slightly ahead.

Basically that could go one of two ways, Enrique sulks on the bench and eventually demands a move, or he improves his play, gets his head down and tries to force his way back into the team. Why not find out if he's actually got a bit of character?

Warnock would be a good signing IMO, although surprised nothing has been made of the links to Shorey, who I also feel could be a good signing.

Did anyone on here go to the 'pool game, I was at a festival so only caught the late write-up on NUFC.com. Heard Shola missed a sitter and Duff actually looked a player again!

Not sure I subscribe to the theory that you should have two players battling it out for the same position. Managers will always say it’s the type of problem every manager loves to have but is it really? We’ve shown time and time again that when it comes to choosing between players we tend to bottle it and accommodate them all, sometimes disrupting the formation as a result.

I prefer a system where you have your best 11 where everyone is aware of what your best 11 is, playing to the same formation and the remaining players are either backup (and are both aware and comfortable with this), or youngsters coming through who will be looking to eventually cement their place in the starting 11.

It’s not so bad in positions where there’s more than one player, like centre half or central midfield, but in positions where there is only one player like full back it’s a nightmare. Having two players of similar ability who are both pushing for the first team won’t be a good thing, despite the talk about competition being healthy and upping their game. They’ll either chop and change the side, preventing it form settling or one will end up getting upset and disrupting the side.

I’m struggling to think of many sides who mange this effectively.

I agree with you. If you look at Chelsea's left back situation, it could be described as 'two players battling for one position,' but it's pretty clear that Bridge is a second choice player who will still get plenty of games. If you're a team that's playing every season in the Champions League and making longer runs in the cups, it's easier to get games to accommodate your second-choice player. Also, a team like Chelsea can afford to trot out Bridge against teams like Stoke or Hull (well, any team really, Bridge is hardly a poor player) to get him league starts.

You've just got to look at Liverpool to show that the rotational policy and trying to keep everyone happy doesn't work, but when they played a set 11 (Torres every week) they started winning games

I think that defensive positions are even less suited to rotation as well. Your back 5 should be a lot more settled and able to work together as defending requires more co-operation. Obviously Torres is far superior to any of Liverpool's striking options, that's why he should be starting as many games as Benitez thinks he can get away with.

On some fan websites, Sunderland and Boro fans are in a jubilant mood because they beat us to the signature of two players which we wanted (Digard and Chimbonda). They seem to think that we aren't the biggest club in the North-east anymore :confused:

• Administrators

I agree with what you're saying in regards to rotation, I totally disagree with that, but if two players push each other to be even better, especially if one if relatively inexperienced and can pick things up, surely that can only be a good thing?

But I suppose you're right, other than Bridge/Cole, I can't think of many other on-a-par fullbacks at the same club, certainly not in the Premiership.

I agree with what you're saying in regards to rotation, I totally disagree with that, but if two players push each other to be even better, especially if one if relatively inexperienced and can pick things up, surely that can only be a good thing?

But I suppose you're right, other than Bridge/Cole, I can't think of many other on-a-par fullbacks at the same club, certainly not in the Premiership.

I think it very much depends on the two players you have fighting for the place as you say. I don't think that buying Warnock for a sum of over 3.5 million makes any sense, when he is 5 or 6 years older than Enrique and a very similar standard. You would then have spent a fair amount of our budget on a player who brings little more, if anything at all, than Enrique currently does. Enrique has the potential to be very very good. By all means, get someone in to challenge him - but I can't see the sense in buying Warnock.

However, I would like to see us buy a young (ie 18-22 year old) defensive midfielder who could provide cover for Butt and push him for a 1st team place - whilst learning from Butt. The same goes for a 'target man' centre forward who could learn from Viduka. That's how I envisage most Premiership teams outside of the top 4 should work their '2 players for every position'.

Just had delivery of the new change shirt. a medium but its huge. now got a few weeks to decide who to have on the back of the shirt. also got my free newcastle v valencia ticket for saturday 9th august. looked a times for trains and fares. will cost me a nice £88 there and back.

You've just got to look at Liverpool to show that the rotational policy and trying to keep everyone happy doesn't work, but when they played a set 11 (Torres every week) they started winning games

The way I would look at it is that because we rotated our better players earlier in the season they were fresh enough to play a lot of games in a row at the back end of the season. Thats how rotation should work in my opinion.

Just following up on Oba's mother

http://nufcblog.com/2008/07/25/players/obafemi-martins/oba-martins-mother-tragically-dies-in-fire/

If cba to look at the link, it says that his mother was parked next to a petrol tanker. The tanker set on fire and she went to move her car and she died in shock. She was planning on moving to Newcastle this September too. He was very close to his mother and KK has given him as much time as he wants to stay in Lagos

:(

Great post on N-O in the have we been punching above our weight thread

Firstly, it does make me wince a bit when people say that Ashley should put his hand in his pocket. He's already cleared £90m of debt, which in the medium to long-term, is a fantastic bonus for the club.

Ever since the first Keegan era, I've had this sense that the club has been desperate to get back to the top, but not been realistic about what it takes. It's like there's a belief that it only needs one or two big signings, or a change of manager, to restore us to our supposedly rightful position. There's been an atmosphere of desperation that hasn't helped.

The new Board is taking the IMO entirely correct position that we have to be build from where we are, not from where we'd like to be, and that in the current times, you can spend £100 million and still finish outside the top four. A certain ex-Thailand Prime Minister is going to find that out the hard way.

The other problem is we missed the chance to establish ourselves in the top four, during the Sir Bob era. At a crucial point, when we should have kicked on, Sir Bob wasn't backed, and we started sliding back again. It's now more difficult to get up there than it was 10 years ago, and we just have to face that.

What's important is that we start to establish an upward momentum. It doesn't have to be meteoric. We just need a sense that the club and the team is improving.

-------------------

I agree with this tbh, discuss.

Sounds fair enough. I reckon we'll try and follow Villa's blueprint, which has been established under Randy Learner and Martin O'Neill. Small steps, but looking to progress all of the time. Malcolm Macdonald make a good point (for once!) on the 3 Legends, tonight. He said that in the past few years, we've been known for handing out daft wages to get so called 'top players' to come here and who ultimately haven't delivered. And when push comes to shove, you can't keep on doing that. Things have to change.

In saying that - we still need 3/4 new bodies in before August 16th!

From nufc.com:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The transfer of Plymouth Argyle youngster Aaron Spear to Newcastle United "is now close to being finalised",

said the Championship club on Thursday.

And the 15 year-old striker has been named in a 38-strong England U16 development training camp next month.

Meanwhile, United have moved to secure another 15 year -old prospect, with Velje defender Niels Bisp Rasmussen

arriving from his native Denmark for a week-long trial.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

More youngsters

More youngsters

What is the problem with more youngsters? We're building for the future and if the scouts have singled out these players as potentially good propects to take the club forward then why not sign them when they are this young, you could never know in 3/4/5 years time they could be potentially worth millions and will have more interest from other clubs.

Archived