Newcastle United Thread 2008/2009

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrators

Kadar has looked very good in the reserves, very highly rated by the club. I think technically he'll be fine, just not sure if he's up to it physically. Even so, I'd take the risk if I was a Championship club.

More of the media going with the Aimar story this morning. Some suggest that a deal has been struck with Zaragoza, and that the player and his agents will soon be en route to Newcastle for talks. I hope it's true - he'd be a very good signing. :thup:

How do you know he'd be a good signing? Has anyone seen much of him or just going off his reputation from years ago?

I'm not saying he's bad or anything, but I haven't really seen much of him since his Valencia days and since then he's been to Zaragoza and is now being linked with Benfica and us so I'm wondering just how good he is now.

• Administrators

The thing is, we still desperately need a playmaker and Aimar would certainly fit the bill in the sense we all have seen what he is capable of. Thing is obviously his career hit a major stutter last season with the relegation, but if we could get him in the side with pacy good footballers around him, there is certainly potential for him to become the player he was at Valencia.

Also we do have a fair few Spanish speaking players at the club such as Spiderman, Geremi, Enrique and Owen so he would have a chance to integrate himself into the club. Still won't believe it until it's confirmed on the site but this could end up being quite a coup if KK pulls it off.

Also we've been linked with Nigel De Jong this morning, for something between £3-5m - but that seems like just more tabloid tattle.

.com are running with the Aimar link now, so there maybe some truth in it. I think the kid would be a good signing. As NBrocky said, we've been crying out for a genuine playmaker for some time now and hopefully Aimar could fill that job. He's at a good age (28) and certainly comes with a shed load of experience.

I think Aimar is someone you kind of need to build the side round a little, cant really fudge him into the side, bit like Riqelume, his star has waned a bit in recent seasons, not seen much of him recently but used to be golden boy

Snippets from today's Ronnie Gill. They are reporting (no quotes though) that the club are hoping to tie up the signing of Aimar in the next 48 hours. We are also said to have enquired about Anton Ferdinand, who apparently doesn't want to up-sticks from London (no great loss). And Chelsea are supposed to be interested in signing Tim Krul.

De Jong would be a very good signing but I can't see it happenning unfortuanately. Not entirely sure about Aimar but if he comes here and plays his heart out, I'd (as well as all the other Geordies) would love him

Just been reading .com, and thought this worth posting after I missed it last week. A few quality pearlers from our man at the top;

Owner speaks:

"...not a thing you

would make a profit on"

From The Guardian, Thursday, some candid, amusing and faintly startling/reassuring words from the sports shop proprietor:

Mike Ashley, the maverick businessman behind Newcastle United, today said he hoped to sell part of the club to local investors, but denied persistent rumours that he is looking to offload it outright. Ashley also rubbished recent stories that he has been in talks to sell Newcastle to the family of Osama Bin Laden, headlines that had infuriated fans who instantly threatened a boycott.

"Genuinely, genuinely, I am not looking for Newcastle shareholders in a cave in Afghanistan," he said. "Good morning Bin, how are you in your cave in Afghanistan? Would you like to come and sit next to me at the Toon army? Clearly not. Is that a rucksack you've got with you? Oh good."

Ashley has been dogged by rumours that he is looking for a way out of Newcastle ever since he took over at the club 14 months ago for £134m. The club was forced to issue a statement earlier this week insisting that Ashley remains a fully committed owner, but the once reclusive businessman has not previously spoken publicly about his plans.

Ashley also denied a story from last week that he had hawked the Premier League club for £420m to the American private equity firm InterMedia Partners. "There is absolutely no truth in that at all. It is absolutely ********."

Instead Ashley, who was raised in Slough, said he hoped to sell a "portion" of the club to local Newcastle businessmen. "It would be quite nice, be quite nice for the fans and everything else if we can get one or two partners in Newcastle United who are from Newcastle, so that's what we will try and do," he said.

Asked what percentage of the club he was looking to sell, he replied: "I would be quite happy to sell 1%. Just local guys, mad Newcastle fans and everything. I meet them and they say the only thing we regret is when you took the club, we then couldn't be a shareholder. If you want 1% of Newcastle, buy 1% of Newcastle for exactly the same price I paid for it. You can put in your money every year like I do, sit on the pitch and say this is one expensive season ticket, but I am having a lovely time.

"Newcastle United is not a thing you would make a profit on," he added. "Newcastle United is a thing you have to enjoy and love and enjoy going to the games and everything else. It would be very useful if we had some multi-billionaire partners that wanted a stake in Newcastle United. It would help."

Ashley said he would also welcome fans who wanted to club together and buy a stake, no matter how small, but that he had not yet held any formal talks with investors. "It would be quite nice if we were able to do something. It's good for Newcastle, for everybody to get together behind it."

Ashley made almost £1bn when he floated Sports Direct on the stock market in March last year. He said he wasn't personally bothered by the media attention he has had since buying the club but said he sometimes felt sorry for the fans. "It is upsetting for them to read these things; they read I am a mad Spurs fan and this sort of thing, and of course it is not true – I absolutely hate Spurs. I always have done."

------------------

So... today I here rumours that we want Chimbonda but Everton also want him. I'd just let Everton have him. Also we have apparently had a bid turned down for Stephen Warnock and we are being offered Torsten Frings. :thdn:

So... today I here rumours that we want Chimbonda but Everton also want him. I'd just let Everton have him. Also we have apparently had a bid turned down for Stephen Warnock and we are being offered Torsten Frings. :thdn:

Surely if that were true Frings would be better than Butt. Maybe not defensively but he can sit in front of the back 4 still and pick a pass with ease. Warnock played well last season for Blackburn i thought. And yeh we should steer clear of Chimbonda would be another Robert/Bellamy moaning little arse

Also we are being linked with a 20-year old Czech defender called Marek Suchy and Everton, Villa and Rangers are interested in him too.

ToMexico, I agree Frings would be a decent player for us but I find it a bit depressing when we are being offered players

Yup - as good a job as he'd do, Frings is too old and would command too much in wages.

Looks very much that we'll be signing younger players this summer, so perhaps best we can hope for next season is mid-table again. It's frustrating, but I can understand why Ashley is trying to change the methodology of the club and also bring the wage bill down. It's very much going to be a long term project.

Krul is definately one for the future, KK wouldn't let him go. 2 seasons time he could be our first choice. Maybe another seasons loan would be good for him and next season be the understudy to Given if Harper goes.

I don't rate that Kaboul. Please don't be in the race to sign him KK.

Just heard on SSN that they think we are in talks with Weat Ham and Anton Ferdinand. Two of my most hated players in the EPL: Anton Ferdinand and Pascal Chimbonda. If we sign both of these I might start supporting another team

Just heard on SSN that they think we are in talks with Weat Ham and Anton Ferdinand. Two of my most hated players in the EPL: Anton Ferdinand and Pascal Chimbonda. If we sign both of these I might start supporting another team

I don't rate either of those aswell. Whiney moaning players that the club doesn't need. Both drop their heads when things aren't going their way. We need players that can inspire others to play better when the team aren't playing well.

I wouldn’t read too much into what players we’re linked with. Last season most of our signings came out of the blue and so far this season we’ve signed two players without being linked with them previously.

The press are doing their usual trick of linking us to players who they think we should be after rather than who we actually are after. Doesn’t stop the likes of Joey reporting on every single link though.

He apparently wants to London and has said Arsenal would be an ideal club. If he does go, he'll more likely end up somewhere like Fulham. He seems to be a sulky character, which is a shame as he's got the potential to be a cracking little player.

No Beye either who I think was rested. Wp Duff, although I didn't see the goals it sounded as though he deserved his hattrick. Well done Danny Guthrie too but I just hopoe he doesn't turn out like Alan Smith, who also scored on his debut in a friendly

According to the Chronicle (Alan Oliver), it says that CNZ wants to stay at SJP which is good news but I think if a London based club come in his attitude will change back again.

Also we have put in an improved offer for Stephen Warnock

Archived