Official Football Manager 2015 Feedback Thread 15.2.1

In my game, I'm joint top of the corner charts with 7 in 34 games. The bottom two teams have 1 in 34 games. I'm also joint top of conceded from corners, also at 7, whereas four teams have only conceded once.

My feeling is this reflects the team comparison, in which I've got the worst positioning in the league, very poor marking and heading and average jumping reach, whereas I have the best anticipation in the league up front. I used a mixed delivery so to be sure of not exploiting any ME weakness.

I often have depending on injuries a CB competing for top scorer in the league. all of his goals coming from either corners or indirect free kicks. I dont think there is a problem scoring or conceding it just depends on your set up. I even had james chester of Hull score 17 goals in 30 games he's 5 foot 10, 12 jumping reach and only 14 heading. I often see people complaining about not scoring from corners even though they have a striker score 60-80 goals a season from a short corner routine that seems to exploit the game.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I imagine these points have been mentioned already but just in case here a few observations after 3 seasons. I should stress that i'm playing lower league football so it's possible these wont apply to better players/teams but i wouldn't know.

Overall it's pretty fine, no glaring bugs other than too many backpasses that go out for corners but i'm sure that'll be addressed.

The main things i've noticed are:

1) Crossing seems pretty redundant. Cross completion seems a little low but that's not my main issue, it's the ability of players to score from crosses. Too many weak headers straight at the keeper, powerful volleys straight at the keeper or headers from inside the six yard box that look easy goals but get headed over.

2) Dribbling is generally awful, it looks like Fifa when you hold the sprint button and run in a straight line until you run into a defender. Granted none of my players are Messi, Ronaldo or Hazard but they're not exactly up against world class defenders either, it should be relative.

3) Defenders are really struggling with balls hoofed forward. Far too often do I see a punt by a CB forward and opposition goes to head it and completely misses the ball. I'm sure it happens occasionally but it's far too often for my tastes.

4) Defenders seem to get what I can only describe as a turbo boost if an opponent is bearing down on their goal. If i'm honest it just looks a bit silly how quickly they recover at times, it seems to reduce the risk of playing a high line seeing as I know that my CB's will get back and make a crazily good sliding tackle should someone get in behind. In fact, point 3 is the only time I can really remember giving away one on one chances.

5) So many accurate slide tackles, Often from behind too which I thought was not allowed but I could be mistaken there. This isn't a big issue for me really but it does seem a bit unrealistic, especially as they are usually last ditch tackles that prevent goal scoring chances. Not saying they would never happen but if I had to completely make a stat up i'd say 25% of the time these tackles are made the defender fouls and would probably be sent off.

6) Corners. Can't see the point in them at the minute. Rarely score from them, rarely concede. Just give a goal kick ref and stop wasting my time.

I can't help but feel all these things have happened because people have complained about through balls behind the defense causing too many chances, players being too good at dribbling, too many goals at corners, defenders generally not being good enough, etc.

And whilst getting balance is a good thing I think it's gone too far at the minute for me to get any enjoyment out of playing the game, basically nearly all the goals scored are very similar. It's just dull to watch.

I almost scored a great counter attacking goal a couple of matches ago, my attacking midfielder was put through on goal just over the halfway line as the opposition were chasing the game. "You're in trouble now!" I thought. Except I was wrong as I forgot that my opponents had brought Usain Bolt on at half time, I've never seen someone run so fast.

I bought the game on Sunday and I am a little bit preplexed as to how I should approach home matches, since my away matches are fine. I might actually bring it up in the tactics forum if I still can't figure it out on my own by the end of this weekend, because there are only a few weeks left before the final update is released and I don't really want to spend all that time tweaking tactics. It would be more effective to get some advice and then rather invest in tactical testing after the update. The tactic was made following wwfan's guide quite literally and functioned well in FM14.

I play against a friend and he downloaded a 433 tactic that is quite frankly ridiculously overpowered. The hope is that the update fixes the ME so that the gung-ho nature of that tactic is not the way to go anymore, because it makes the matches dull and it looks much worse than FM14.3.

So basically, with the exception of #6, I agree with the above post. Especially #2 is a major nuisance, as the players end up running into each other for comedic effect more than anything. They can't seem to spot a decent pass even though there are options available. The football doesn't look good, and I miss more varation in the way goals are scored.

In addition, I feel that the AMC strata is underwhelming. My friend's wide strikers, set to CF-S I believe, are actually working harder defensively than my SS-A wide AMC, and unlike FM14 the three AMC's I employ do not go out wide or drop deeper to become available for a pass or close down an opposition midfielder. They also delay moving into the box quite a bit longer than last year's version.

In short, they have been quite useless... which is bad because they are pretty much the whole point of the tactic. They are there to provide a good balance between a defensive 451 and an attacking 424, but instead functions like a 424 when defending and a 451 when attacking - which I guess no-one would argue is a good thing.

In addition, I feel that the AMC strata is underwhelming. My friend's wide strikers, set to CF-S I believe, are actually working harder defensively than my SS-A wide AMC, and unlike FM14 the three AMC's I employ do not go out wide or drop deeper to become available for a pass or close down an opposition midfielder. They also delay moving into the box quite a bit longer than last year's version.

I believe it's because there is a small bug with the AMC(att) now. They doesn't track back(or very little) when on attack duty. Same as the AML/AMR bug earlier which has now been fixed.

The 500 limit is there because allowing people to exceed it meant that many users were crashing their game due to addressable RAM limits.

Why not allow the selection of an unlimited amount of players but process them in 500 player batches? Because at the moment, its really time consuming and not to mention fiddly (holding shift and all).

Agreed. That one is not a bug.
It's quite obviously a bug. You can report it in the bugs forum with a pkm, if you don't mind.

This mod said it was, you should check out the thread because it happens way too often for it to be normal.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/420694-Why-does-this-happen-so-much-with-defenders-at-all-levels

So many flaws. Most annoying for me is central defenders closing down and leaving huge gaps when they are set to close down less. Nothing I seem to do such as close down less for the team etc (even setting them as cover) seems to help, they havent even got PPKs that would make them close down madly. Sticking a DM or equivalent in ahead fails to help too.

Striker scores two goals for me...

Me: "You were superb in front of goal."

Striker: "It seems we have different standards. I was not pleased with my performance."

Me: "Then score a hat trick next game you moron."

I would like a bit better logic with player interactions.

Striker scores two goals for me...

Me: "You were superb in front of goal."

Striker: "It seems we have different standards. I was not pleased with my performance."

Me: "Then score a hat trick next game you moron."

I would like a bit better logic with player interactions.

Did he miss loads of chances during the game?

You can score two and still be unhappy you know, especially if you're a very determined person :)

Why are players complaining when I congratulate them for scoring a hatrick on their first game for their country? "Thanks I scored but not for you." What kind of stupid player would ever give such an answer?

I hate this stuff so much, especially the "I don't need to be patronised". I'm saying you did well you idiot why would I be patronising towards you when I think you're a brilliant player.

Did he miss loads of chances during the game?

You can score two and still be unhappy you know, especially if you're a very determined person :)

He had a 9.0 rating. He did miss a chance, but overall he was brilliant.

Anyway, the wonderful moment came when he actually did score a hat trick next time out. This time he accepted the praise.

In my game I was in my 4th season as Ajax and it was to a regen who did well for his national side.

Yeah, the players are programmed to not hold you in high esteem from the beginning. If an 18-19 year-old is good enough to get international appearances it might be that your own reputation is actually still lower, given that you did not start as a former international yourself.

Many thinks like this: "in real life I am a football nobody, so when I start a game I want it to be realistic so I set myself as "Sunday League Footballer" - which is what I am." Unfortunately this is not what this setting is supposed to do. It is simply put a difficulty setting. If you are a fan of a club like Ajax, consider your own reaction if someone who has never played football at any relevant level before, and who has no relevant education, was suddenly appointed the role of manager of the club. Yes that is what happens in FM. Even if you set International Footballer as your background, you have no experience as a manager and will be met with sceptisism - but you will be given a chance to prove yourself.

Four years is plenty of time to offset any initial scepticism if you chose International Footballer, but it might not be enough to catch up with your own squad if you did not.

I have a weird issue to report.

The tactics I have loaded into the Manage Tactics screen disappears... only the one I have loaded appears in the list. This is annoying because if I want to swap tactics in a match, I have to import it, and then the one I started the match with will disappear.

Is this a known issue?

In 33 games so far in my current season, there have been 9 red cards for opposing teams which seems a little excessive. Not sure if it indicates that too many players are handling the situation poorly in games, I play a defensive 4-1-4-1 with Stoke currently. On the flip side, I've not had a single red card myself. Just wondering if its something anyone else has observed.

Short answer is yes, you'll see many changes in the match engine I'm sure, just about every aspect has been "looked at" don't even ask for elaboration on that :)

I didn't read the thread from the start so maybe some of my questions/issues are already mentioned.

Does it mean defending will be addressed? Especially defending crosses.

From what I've seen so far, both my team and AI have trouble defending against wingers crossing (ok, positioning of the FB here depends on the attribute, but they rarely block a cross). Most of the time opposing player crosses into the box from wide position, the ball passes through 2-3 of my players before being volleyed into the net by the striker. Sometimes I just feel like I have practice cones/dummies there instead of players as they make no actually effort to head/clear/block the cross.

Also, it seems to me that both in FM2014 and this one it is very difficult to play a hard pressing, hard tackling tactics as players do not go into challenges as often as possible. I can get players closing down opponents but without challenging the opposing player the result is often simply my players out of position as they allow the opposing player time and space on the ball to hold up the ball and pass it along almost effortlessly.

I don't know, maybe it's something I'm missing or misinterpreting, but still, it just doesn't feel like it's working properly. I just can't get that Stoke crunch 'n' punch style of football working.

As long as I get to continue my saves on Linux :)

You can't save/load on Linux?

Some things I often see are defenders who try to pass it back to the keeper when under pressure but miss and give away a corner. It is happening too often and even my defenders with good composure seem to do it.

Corner delivery is just horrible. Near post never goes near post and its just looks random to me.

Keeper distribution is an issue. My keeper has a 60% passing completion rate because he ignores my instruction 50% of the time. Its getting annoying.

Don't know. Corners seem ok to me in my current save. Been scoring and conceding a decent amount from them.

but, keeper distribution is definitely an issue in my opinion. If I'm playing for 2 seasons the same tactics and the keeper has instructions to pass it to CB, pass it shorter, etc., why is he still hoofing the ball forward half the time? I mean, I can understand when he is under pressure or in a situation where he is uncertain, but goal kicks should be a no brainer issue by now... :rolleyes:

I keep losing possession in this way and opponents often have a goal scoring opportunity after my keeper has hoofed a clear ball directly to their CBs or MCs..

Something seriously needs to be done about players asking to leave clubs after i reject the first bid. Like I just made a new game with Sassuolo to test out my new tactic and I'm not even 5 minutes into the game Berrardi, Vrsaljko, Zaza, Sansone and Consigli already asked for me to sell them. It's impossible to play with smaller teams that have any young talents. Obviously I'm not going to sell them because I can't find any decent players to replace them and they're running my morale into the ground without me even playing a single game.

Something seriously needs to be done about players asking to leave clubs after i reject the first bid. Like I just made a new game with Sassuolo to test out my new tactic and I'm not even 5 minutes into the game Berrardi, Vrsaljko, Zaza, Sansone and Consigli already asked for me to sell them. It's impossible to play with smaller teams that have any young talents. Obviously I'm not going to sell them because I can't find any decent players to replace them and they're running my morale into the ground without me even playing a single game.

I'm pretty sure, infact positive, interactions and player unhappiness have been looked at for the patch which is due

Couldn't disagree more. It used to be far too easy to keep your best players as a small club and quickly build a quality team way beyond the resources and reputation of the club. It still is tbh, but at least now you have a realistic challenge. It is possible to hang on to these players as well. You can buy time until the end of the transfer window by negotiating endlessly with the clubs trying to buy them, then the clubs back off and after the transfer window shuts the player should calm down. A club like Sassuolo is not going to hold on to those types of players for long unless the qualify for Europe or something, and certainly in real life Berardi, Zaza and Vrsaljko are as good as gone in the summer. Then it's up to you to replace them and start building again, which is always possible and exactly the way it should be.

Couldn't disagree more. It used to be far too easy to keep your best players as a small club and quickly build a quality team way beyond the resources and reputation of the club. It still is tbh, but at least now you have a realistic challenge. It is possible to hang on to these players as well. You can buy time until the end of the transfer window by negotiating endlessly with the clubs trying to buy them, then the clubs back off and after the transfer window shuts the player should calm down. A club like Sassuolo is not going to hold on to those types of players for long unless the qualify for Europe or something, and certainly in real life Berardi, Zaza and Vrsaljko are as good as gone in the summer. Then it's up to you to replace them and start building again, which is always possible and exactly the way it should be.

In this particular example, Vrsaljko and Consigli just joined Sassuolo, while Berardi and Zaza just signed a new contract, so unless RvN holidayed through the first season I'd say it's a bit exaggerated for them to ask to leave "5 minutes into the game".

In this particular example, Vrsaljko and Consigli just joined Sassuolo, while Berardi and Zaza just signed a new contract, so unless RvN holidayed through the first season I'd say it's a bit exaggerated for them to ask to leave "5 minutes into the game".

No, i just started a new game in the current season without any holidaying what so ever.

I'd like to see a screenshot from that. Especially about Vrasalko and Consigli I have doubts, as it's near impossible to have a newly joined player wanting to leave after a couple of days.

Zaza and Berardi are possible, as they are much above the (database) level of Sassuolo. So if they renewed in real life they must have reasons for that, I suppose it's a big pay rise and possible a release clause. So don't overestimate a contract reneweal: In my favourite club Fiorentina IRL Juan Cuadrado renewed his contract just 2 months before being sold to Chelsea.

Also bear in mind, that in game they usually don't state that they want to leave, but that they want an offer from a certain club accepted IF such an offer appears. It's certainly fair to think that Zaza or Berardi would say in real life ("If Juventus / Roma (or whoever it was) make an offer, I want to leave. Otherwise I'll happily stay"). Media just doen'st get to know these conversations.

EDIT: Oh and what about RvN's manager reputation? If it is too low it can have serious consequences on all those things

Whenever someone asks if the update is out or when is it going to be out we add an hour to the release clock.

With respect (actually, not with that much respect given that you've shown none in return) I think people who have paid good money for a game which essentially doesn't work properly are entitled to ask when they'll start getting their money's worth.

With respect (actually, not with that much respect given that you've shown none in return) I think people who have paid good money for a game which essentially doesn't work properly are entitled to ask when they'll start getting their money's worth.

I think you would be well advised to:

i) Take note of Alex's excellent contribution in a couple of threads lately before accusing him of lacking respect

ii) Try to detect "humour" in posts before overreacting

iii) Research the definition of the phrase "doesn't work properly"

I think you would be well advised to:

i) Take note of Alex's excellent contribution in a couple of threads lately before accusing him of lacking respect

ii) Try to detect "humour" in posts before overreacting

iii) Research the definition of the phrase "doesn't work properly"

Is it respectful, or even in any way wise, for someone with a position of authority on here to antagonise those asking when a release date is coming? Presumably these are people who are already frustrated with the game, hence their questions about the timing of the update.

It's not an over-reaction at all - I can understand that it might be irritating to have the same questions asked often, but that comes with the territory of being given a position of authority on these forums. It isn't much to ask to simply answer the question, let alone avoid annoying people who are already annoyed.

The game doesn't work properly. I'm nowhere near as frustrated with it as some people on here have been - in fact in a number of threads I've defended the game where people have made complaints that are clearly down to user error rather than a fault with the game. With that said, it doesn't work properly. The match engine is fundamentally flawed.

So yeah...maybe he was making a joke. Maybe this seems like an over-reaction to you. But do you at least see how it might be frustrating to people who are waiting for the updates that make the game playable, to see an authority figure basically taking the **** out of them?

I see you are new here Siobri so I take it that is why you are going down this path.

It is a shame you chose Alex though as he is the most active poster from SI and goes out of his way to answer peoples questions time and again.

Just to add that no-one knows when the update will happen, I would wager no-one at SI even knows when it will be ready, it gets said time and again and that is why we have a bit of fun with it now.

I see you are new here Siobri so I take it that is why you are going down this path.

It is a shame you chose Alex though as he is the most active poster from SI and goes out of his way to answer peoples questions time and again.

Perhaps he is. But that's sort of the point, isn't it - I don't know him from Adam, I don't know if he's messing around, all I see is a moderator making fun of people who are rightly frustrated with the current version of the game. From what people have said, he probably wasn't deliberately trying to annoy people, but if that's how it comes across then it's not helpful.

As for the second sentence...that's all that needs to be said. We don't know, sorry. If there is no confirmed date, that's frustrating but reasonable enough, they don't want to rush it. If the moderators say that when asked, there's no issue.

Just to add that no-one knows when the update will happen, I would wager no-one at SI even knows when it will be ready, it gets said time and again and that is why we have a bit of fun with it now.

Pretty much this. At some point people surely must work this out. It's the same every single update.

Archived