England - Euro 2016 Thread

Djstu23

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So we are the only 100% side left? I like that. Though it reminds me of Spain in 98 when they did that and everyone tipped them as dark horses only to comfortable go out in the group stage.

100% qualifying group teams, all the way back until Euro 92, and where they finished in the tournament itself:

Spain (Euro 2012) - winners

Spain (2010 World Cup) - winners

Holland (2010 World Cup) - runners up

France (Euro 2004) - quarter-finals

Czech Republic (Euro 2000) - group stage

France (Euro 1992) - group stage

Spain didn't qualify for the 1998 World Cup with a 100% record.

Yeah, I thought that was a generous penalty. The 'ol 'why did he dangle a leg out, it's perfectly acceptable for a forward to fall over it' thing *tut tut*

Where d'you get that from? Our WC qualifiers start in October 2016

September actually

We start 4th Sep away to Slovakia and then home to Malta in October '16

Capello did that with Barry in 2010 and was **** for you. Unless a player has no adequate replacements, if he isn't fully fit for the Euros, it's better not to bring him. And in Shaw's case, there is enough replacements for him in Baines (if he ever gets fit again), Bertrand, Gibbs, even Rose or Cresswell. Shaw's injury is more of a loss to United than England.

• 3 weeks later...
Don't care if he has barely played, Sturridge should be in every England squad he is healthy for.

Recent injuries didn't stop Hodgson picking Ryan Bertrand. He has only played one Premier League game since last season. He had knee surgery in the summer, missed the entire pre-season and opening 6 league games of the season.

Why are has Hodgson called up 5 centre-backs?

Bit overkill for 2 qualifiers is it not?

They are also covering for right back. Although Jones and Stones aren't particularly good there.

Bertrand & Gibbs - left backs

Clyne & Jones/Stones - right backs

Smalling, Jagielka, Cahill, Jones/Stones - centre backs

I expect Alli won't play but no harm in being called up to main squad for a couple of games like this, spend time around the main squad, train and see how it all is. He potentially could be someone that makes his way into the main squad at some point

Look at the attack and it feels we have so much depth as it still looks threatening even without Sturridge, Welbeck & Rooney. CM and CB just bare though :/ Need Smalling to keep up this new found next level defending as not a fan of Cahil recently. CMs our Achilles heel and will be the area the better nations will exploit with ease. Even competent nations will fancy it.

Archived