World Cup Final: Germany vs Argentina - 13th July 20:00 BST

gillsminnow

Who will win the World Cup?  

119 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the World Cup?

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's the pinnacle prize to be won as a footballer that's why. No doubt he is one of the best but people just put Pele/Maradona that little bit a ahead because they won the greatest prize on offer.

No one has said Messi is average because he failed to win a WC... Hyperbole.

But it's played once every 4 years, you can't suddenly not consider someone a great because they didn't win a competition they played in twice (or not at all in some cases)

I get winning it elevating people, but it's not everything. Look at what Messi has achieved, how the hell is he not a great? (Not aiming that at you, just at those who argue he isn't a great)

How on Earth does a stroppy (yes I'm going there) Lionel Messi win player of the tournament when he did absolutely nothing in every game bar one moment of magic in the groups and the one knockout game? Did **** all else.

Typical FIFA. Awarding to the reputation.

Nah after we play in Euro 16 we'll qualify for WC 18 :cool:

Shut up Darren :(

Couldn't resist - even through my "Messi tears" I could see the chance for a dig :lol:

Anyway - the Irish part of me knows how you feel (tough we were there in 2002 and Euro 2012 so not as bad as Scotland)

Mascherano undoubtedly better than Messi in this tournament, yes. There's about 10 players who had better tournaments than Messi ffs.

I actually wouldn't have minded seeing Neuer win the Golden Ball. However I don't think FIFA knows that you can nominate non-forwards, so what do I know.

Champions League worth more than a World Cup imo.

Maybe I just say that as a Scotsman because I know we will never win a World Cup (certainly not in my lifetime).

Yes, I think so too, the World Cup is fun and everything but it's just a big party. The quality of top level club games is higher.

FIFA full of those sort of dickheads demanding Lahm walks to a specific part just to pick up the trophy, aren't they? Hate these pencil pushers who run the game but haven't a clue about anything. As if anybody cares about the trophy's specific hand-over point in the presentation :D

FIFA full of those sort of dickheads demanding Lahm walks to a specific part just to pick up the trophy, aren't they? Hate these pencil pushers who run the game but haven't a clue about anything. As if anybody cares about the trophy's specific hand-over point in the presentation :D

Well it looks a little better than some suit getting stuck in the middle of the team jumping around celebrating tbf

Yes, I think so too, the World Cup is fun and everything but it's just a big party. The quality of top level club games is higher.

maybe but the Champions League is just a closed party :(

would love to see an open draw for one year, just to see what sort of games you get instead of UEFA protecting all the big clubs

Well it looks a little better than some suit getting stuck in the middle of the team jumping around celebrating tbf

My point was that he kept telling Lahm to stand somewhere else to hand it over - Lahm was like 3 yards to the right of where this fella wanted him to be and he refused to hand it over until Lahm moved :D In the end Blatter took the trophy from the guy and gave it over instead because the guy was just being a dick.

Messi POTT is a bit weird, even I'll admit that :D

I think Neuer is the player of the tournament. For all their attacking wealth, Neuer was really something else. Phenomenal really, for the entire tournament.

I think Neuer, Hummels and Rodriguez should have been the front-runners for POTT. I just can't believe Messi got it.

Götze is holding Reus's shirt there. Very nice.

Must be gutting to be Reus right now. Undoubtedly happy his nation won the WC but he should have been arguably the main proponent of their attack and instead he's injured.

Archived