Option to have unsackable human managers

Would you like an 'Unsackable human managers' option for the next version of FM?  

786 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like an 'Unsackable human managers' option for the next version of FM?

• Yes
    • No

I voted no as I prolly wont use it. But like it's been said, newbies who find the game too tough in the beginning should be able to use such an option so that they wont be too p!ssed off.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Voted for yes - I wouldn't use it personally but I don't see any problem with it being a tick option to satisfy those who would like it!
No harm in adding it I suppose. Just a tick box.

The only reason I'd use it would be to amuse myself by adding another manager and setting the tactics of my "favourite" rival team to 0-0-10 and set the holiday options to "use current tactics". Then go on holiday indefinitely and watch them slide down the divisions while I continue with my game. :D

I agree with the last post by em0o also, it may be useful for newbies. In addition to the feature, you could make the player aware that they would have been sacked, had it not been for the feature.

Maybe each time you are "sacked" but not actually due to the feature, your relationship with the board could be reset, as if you were new man in the job.

I don't see the problem in adding something like this to be honest, I only want it because...I manage 1 team in FM and that is Man Utd so would benefit me greatly without having to worry about being sacked.

Then don't do badly.

No, no, no, no, no to this idea. It would diminish the whole realism stance that FM has always taken and cast it down a huge step against it's rivals. 'Oh yeah', they'll laugh. 'FM is the game that lets you be unsackable'.

I'm with dankrzyz on this one: I don't think "unsackable" is an option I would personally use, but I see no harm in having it available as an option in the game for those that do want it.

I just don't see how it impacts those who don't select it!

That's something I agree with for quite a few options which would enable to customize the game-world a bit more :)

Then don't do badly.

No, no, no, no, no to this idea. It would diminish the whole realism stance that FM has always taken and cast it down a huge step against it's rivals. 'Oh yeah', they'll laugh. 'FM is the game that lets you be unsackable'.

Well if it's about realism we have to take off attributes and we have to judge a player based on his performance/training/coach report and we have to take off the option of taking-over a club and only start unemployed with the lowest reputation possible.

This is a game, so if some people could enjoy the game more with this option enabled then i'm for it.

It would actually be kinda fun to take your most hated real life team and see how far you could make them fall.

i.e. Get Man U relegated to the Blue Square South. It would also be interesting to see if they could ever recover once you do quit the club :-)

Have no idea why anyone would vote no. An option like this would certainly help so many players who struggle with the game, and those who don't struggle (or simply wouldn't want to use it) could just disable it. That's the point of an 'option' after all.

Should we give everyone an option to have £100 million to spend on players as well? After all, that would make it easier.

Hell why don't you include an option to play as a world XI as well.

The point is it's a management game, you should learn from your mistakes and figure things out yourself. Like I said above, most of the top managers have been sacked and they say it can be a positive experience.

In any case, you can start a new game whenever you like or it's even easier to just use the "Add manager" feature.

So in summary what you're asking for is already there, it just doesn't say it in so many words.

Wouldn't be that much harm merely letting other people have it as an option. However I'm not sure it would be as beneficial as people think it might be. Obviously everyone experiences the game in different ways but while some people would feel at ease without the risk of being fired, others might assume that'll be the case but end up feeling that some of the interest has been taken away. Also while people can still resign from bad situations, it might end up being used as an option far too easily, and I doubt there's much fun hopping from club to club so often merely at the 1st sign of trouble.

These are just theories and I don't claim that will definitely be the case but I do get a feeling of 'be careful what you wish for' about this as features like this remove something from a game as well as add to it, fair enough if people consider it a worthwhile trade-off, by all means use the option and good luck to them, just wanted to make sure that was considered.

Voted yes, but don't think I'll be using it, but personally I would work out the idea a bit larger:

Fifa Manager uses a similar idea, which isn't that bad a solution: found your own club

A better more Football Manager idea could be that you can buy & sell a club with your earnings and thus combine chairman/trainer.

Would be nice to be able to play a few years, then buy out your local club chairman and raise your acquired club to higher levels. Could even add another dimension to FM ;)

My vote for yes. If you pay money for a game, you should be let to play God and manage the team you want. That's not cheating, it's not like giving an unfair advantage for your team against other teams.

I don't see why it would annoy anyone. If you don't like it, you just don't tick it. I wouldn't tick it.

I would personally never use it, because I have never been sacked in 2010. I do see why such an option would be welcome for a lot of players. It probably wouldn't be hard for SI to implement it, so I think they really should do it for the next iteration of FM. SI don't listen to elitists.

I voted 'no' because I wouldn't use it and I would rather SI spend their time on more pressing items.

You are right, implementing such a flag option anyway it would take no more than a day and it would add for several players a useful option cause boards usually are too invasive.

I'm just loving all the people having a moan that anyone could possibly want to play the game like that!

Will it affect you personally? No.

Could it possibly help new players? Yes.

Is customization increasingly becoming one of the most wanted features in gaming overall, I cannot see how it can be so lightly tossed away. There are 100s of ways FM could be customised for each purpose. Hell, if you made the game moddable, that would be the best. That way you could make it so that people who want to play it as bog standard realistic could easily, and those who want to cheat, have the game easier etc. could do so with a mod.

To say the game needs to be a pure simulation will be the death of the series, causing a large part of the casual gamer fanbase to turn their backs on the series.

If people want to play realisitically, fine, do so. Don't punish people who want to play otherwise.

I voted 'no' because I wouldn't use it and I would rather SI spend their time on more pressing items.
I'm just loving all the people having a moan that anyone could possibly want to play the game like that!

Will it affect you personally? No.

Could it possibly help new players? Yes.

Is customization increasingly becoming one of the most wanted features in gaming overall, I cannot see how it can be so lightly tossed away. There are 100s of ways FM could be customised for each purpose. Hell, if you made the game moddable, that would be the best. That way you could make it so that people who want to play it as bog standard realistic could easily, and those who want to cheat, have the game easier etc. could do so with a mod.

To say the game needs to be a pure simulation will be the death of the series, causing a large part of the casual gamer fanbase to turn their backs on the series.

If people want to play realisitically, fine, do so. Don't punish people who want to play otherwise.

That's the real classy " gap " that differentiates PCs from consoles, consoles are made for kids who have just learnt speaking.

You are right, implementing such a flag option anyway it would take no more than a day and it would add for several players a useful option cause boards usually are too invasive.

I don't understand your sentence, though I think I get the drift. Why do you say it would take no more than a day to implement? I don't think you could possibly know that. I work as a web developer and often things people think will take a short time to implement take far longer, because the person requesting it doesn't realise how many different sections have to be edited.

I don't understand your sentence, though I think I get the drift. Why do you say it would take no more than a day to implement? I don't think you could possibly know that. I work as a web developer and often things people think will take a short time to implement take far longer, because the person requesting it doesn't realise how many different sections have to be edited.

Web development is far different from programming.

A feature like that would take no time at all. You would probably just need to add in a few if statements for functions regarding sacking. Or remove the use of functions regarding board confidence affecting if you get sacked. It really would not be difficult for a group of professional programmers to do. I'd be surprised if it took more than a few hours at best.

Web development is far different from programming.

A feature like that would take no time at all. You would probably just need to add in a few if statements for functions regarding sacking. Or remove the use of functions regarding board confidence affecting if you get sacked. It really would not be difficult for a group of professional programmers to do. I'd be surprised if it took more than a few hours at best.

As I said above, you can't possibly know how easy it would be to implement the feature.

Just a thought but if your not good enough to keep your job, would this mean your team free falls down the leagues. Your players would have no respect for you neither would any of your comtemparies at other clubs. Also what would happen to your reputation and therefore your ability to sign players. i think a catch 22 situation could quickly develope here

I voted No, but all in all it wouldn't have an effect on my game as I wouldn't use it, I just can't see what it could bring to the game. Unless you wanted to ruin Manchester United by getting them relegated to BSN then i fail to see the point. There's been a lot of discussion in this thread and i just wished to give my view.

Its a great idea in my opinion maybe it will stop some off the threads on this forum about the games too hard and so on by having that option gives players all the time in the world too try get there team up or down without the pressures off the dreaded sack.

I think it's a good idea. If you don't want to use it then you don't need to. It would be really useful for a beginner who wants to play as a club who would struggle (due to just being promoted, or being in administration). I don't see the point of it if the player goes a club like Manchester United, but if they decided to choose someone else who doesn't start off as the best team around, it would be useful. I remember my first save was with St Mirren in the SPL, I think I lost my first 6 games of the season and I gave up for a while, before I started a new save. It's also good for people who want to stay with the team they support (again, unless it's a "big team"), because some people find the most enjoyment in playing as their favorite team.

I already commented this option, voting "yes" because i have no interest in changing club and building a "career"..

Maybe its better to present the whole thing in a different way..

When setting up a new game, u can choose between "normal" game (you can be sacked, you can be apply for other jobs etc) and "i will manage this team only" option (you cant be sacked, but you cant be approached for other jobs nor apply for others clubs). So, it is basically two different ways to play the game, nothing to do with "easier game" or whatever. And please, let the "it is not realistic" thing apart, because this IS A GAME and everyone could and should be able to play it as he want.

I voted yes. And I think that GillsMan's suggestion to only have the option before you start a game, is perfect. So that you aren't tempted to use it if you hadn't decided on it to start with.

Having this option would encourage me to take over unknown (to me) clubs and spend years transforming the club into a better one. I wouldn't want to invest any time into an unknown club if I could get the sack without being given enough time for my long-term plan to come to fruition.

The unsackable option could also allow for the game in general to become even harder and more challenging *, without too much grumbling from those who weren't so good at it, as they would have the security of not being sacked, and enough time to experiment with tactics etc, to get things right and start getting more wins.

* Hmm, not in general really. Just in terms of beating opponents.

• Administrators

Can't see this happening to be honest, especially when you can just create a new user and re-take over the job. You should be 'punished' really for getting sacked, and if that's just losing your manager history then that's fair enough IMO.

A game shouldn't "punish" its users more than necessary. Some new players simply want to get to the end of their first season with, say, Manchester United - but they're fired halfway through the season because they're mid-table. Yes there's workarounds but workarounds are very bad for customers!

Some arguments:

"It's not real-life"

Neither is managerial scouting, the ability to unmask attributes, putting attributes on a 1-20 scale, hidden personalities, CA, PA, and the fact you are a football manager.

Football Manager is first and foremost a game, not a simulation. Games are meant to be fun. It is not unreasonable for newcomers to arrive, be overwhelmed and be sacked. Getting sacked teaches you nothing. The poor results do. For newcomers, getting sacked is an additional punishment which teaches them nothing.

It teaches you to learn

It should not be the duty of a game to "teach" you via punishment and threat. As I've said before, poor results should be lesson enough.

There are multiple scenarios in which it's nice to have this feature.

- Newcomers who can experiment with the game: In reality they'll restart anyway, but this will not burst their bubble quickly.

- People who want to take a team to the bottom and back up: Before anyone starts screaming about the Database Editor, I don't have much love for the starting database. I prefer a future scenario where Verona and Chievo finish higher than Inter and Milan are on the verge of being relegated. A scenario that is even more unfamiliar than the usual "oh by the way Barcelona are the best team in the world" - the sort of scenario all of us are familiar with. I want to be able to drag a team down to the bottom league and build them from the start again.

- Players who only want to play one team: Some users don't care about other teams. They have a favourite club and want to stick with them irregardless of results. Some don't care about career games. They only want to play with one team.

Not something I would ever use, but if there's so many people who want this feature, why not? As long as it's optional, it won't affect those of us who don't use it in the slightest. It may be "cheating" in a way, but if that's how one wants to play their game, I don't see why would anyone care.

Even if people are never going to use the suggested feature, they should be allowed to voice an opinion either way. So for all of you people saying "don't like it, don't use it" I think we are all well aware that if we don't like something, we won't use it, we don't need people telling us not to use it.

The issue for me is a fundamental one in that you are supposed to be a Football Manager and managers get sacked, it's actually part and parcel of football in general.

Flicking a switch to never get sacked is quite simply ridiculous and not something that SI needs to concentrate on. You should really learn from your own mistakes, it will make you a better manager.

Like I said most top managers (and probably ALL of the average ones) have been sacked at some point, and a lot of them say it CAN be a good experience.

Edited to say the "Add manager" button is always there so it's quite easy to start again with the same person if you want to be untouchable.

No, because it would be unrealistic.

A fair part of this game is unrealistic, but still, I vote no. There's enough ways already for you to cheat to prevent yourself getting sacked. Just use FMRTE or something, SI have other bugs and stuff to fix before they consider this. But it is my opinion. :rolleyes:

I voted no. A big part of FM is realism and removing the option of sacking would detract from that. Think about it, if your getting sacked then your doing something wrong. If you keep getting sacked, then your consistently doing something wrong. The challenge should be to not get sacked rather than haing an untouchable game mode.

On the other hand, it is your own personal game so i wouldn't mind if it was included - even though i wouldn't use it. To be honest though, if you do get sacked you can always add another manager and pick up from where you left off anyway.

Archived