Bizarre league standings

How is your first season table shaping up? The Premier League has been weird for me. I've just played my Christmas matches, so around halfway in, and Stoke are second in the table, with QPR and Aston Villa in the top five. Man Utd are fourth and are the only recent top four side up there apart from me as Spurs in top spot. Chelsea are eighth and Man City and Arsenal are both hovering above the relegation zone in 15/16th. Is this a bug or just a crazy first half to the season? How's your league look so far in terms of reflecting reality (or seasons if you've been playing 24/7!)?

Although I haven't experienced it myself, I am hearing a fair bit of anecdotal evidence from friends (seemingly backed up here) that Stoke and especially QPR seem to do a lot better than you'd imagine.

Started with the Beta so don't know wheher that influenced anything but mine was a little odd mainly in that Fulham finished 4th. QPR were also top 4 most of the season but slipped to 7th at the end.

1. Man C

2. Man U

3. Newcastle

4. Fulham

The second season was ...

1. Chelsea

2. Arsenal

3. Man U

4. Man C

Fulham went back to their normal ways finishing 9th. One other interesting note was that Galatasaray won the CL in the first year knocking out Arsenal, Juve, Man U and PSG.

All the top teams except City and myself as Arsenal struggled, but at the end of the season it was still the same top 4. West Brom finishing 5th 1 point behind United in 4th was entertaining throughout the season

Doesn't seem realistic to me at all. Surely a bug of some sort? Wigan are 3rd on my save with 25 matches player. Liverpool are 1st with QPR 2nd. The strangest is Tottenham at 18th. Big teams getting owned by smaller teams much?

This is how the PL ended up in my first season.

Stoke did start pretty well, where 2nd after 15 games then went downhill fast.

Man Utd

Man City

Liverpool (myself)

Spurs

Chelsea

Arsenal

Villa

Newcastle

Everton

West Brom

Southampton

Reading

Stoke

QRR

Swansea

Wigan

Sunderland

Norwich

West Ham

Fulham

Real Madrid won La Liga Barca 2nd

Juve won Serie A Napoli 2nd

Schalke won German league Bayern 2nd

Lyon won French PSG 3rd.

Real won CL

Liverpool EL

Pretty realistic league positions in my first season with realistic match results and final GF and GA.

From playing the game so far i wouldn't be surprised by league standings not seeming true to real life. From most of the games i've played all of the opposition teams have played exactly the same type of football (short fast barcelona style passing) and weather i am playing man city/newcastle/qpr there is no major difference in the quality of their play.

There is either too many randomness/variance in results, or there is an imbalance in styles that allow some teams to play way over their heads.

I'm halfway through my first season and Barcelona and PSG both finished in 4th in their CL groups. EPL results don't seem that crazy except that City is nigh-invincible and are already a solid 12 points in front of the rest of the table.

To the person who said Galatasaray won the CL in their first season, I also noticed them winning their group, beating Barcelona twice. I wonder if there's something about them that is exploiting the ME.

Are you guys playing all leagues in full detail? if thats the case, its quite wierd. In my beta save, swansea was 3rd up until new years (first season), then game came out and i started a new save.

Between beta and Full game, i started 7 saves, a couple on holiday, and what i always see is Chelsea underachieving forever. In 15 seasons, just 3 times ended between the top 5

:eek: it took you three seasons to dominate the Premiership with Southampton?

Lol, that's my second title. :cool:

Like I said there is something off with the way both Manchester clubs seem to be managed on my game. Man Utd bought Neymar on previous to that season but they were still easy to beat whereas Tottenham, Arsenal and in particular Chelsea (who have Mata, Gotze and Hazard behind Cavani I think) were very tough opponents. All the Man City players seem to want to leave, Aguero is currently transfer listed on my game and so is David Alaba who is pretty much the world's best left back and they only bought him the summer before very odd.

Can't see how I have influenced this either, maybe I have taken an easy 6 pts away from them but they lost nearly 20 games between them. Man Utd have a forward line of RVP, Rooney and Neymar :eek:

Are you guys playing with full detail as I think that effects the results?

Full detail is only one part of it. I find loading all players from the country I'm managing in, plus players from the top leagues in Italy, Spain, Germany, France, Holland, and Portugal gives me the most realistic results. I never see anyone but the real life big 6 finish in the top 6, my EPL winners are always one of Arsenal, Chelsea, Man Utd, or Man City. And the european cups are always won by big name teams.

If people are seeing the likes of Stoke & Sunderland massively over-achieve in their games and see the likes of Celtic reach CL finals, it may be worth loading more top class players from the major euro leagues.

The only downside to my current save was seeing Newcastle win the FA Cup. Not very realistic since they've won nothing for 60 odd years in reality :herman:

In my game Stoke are in a clear 3rd place exactly halfway through the 1st season, think this definitely shows either the tactics the game's AI uses are unbalanced or the Stoke players are rated way too high.

Btw. The only signing they have made has only played 1 game, so it's nothing to do with that.

Lol, that's my second title. :cool:

Like I said there is something off with the way both Manchester clubs seem to be managed on my game. Man Utd bought Neymar on previous to that season but they were still easy to beat whereas Tottenham, Arsenal and in particular Chelsea (who have Mata, Gotze and Hazard behind Cavani I think) were very tough opponents. All the Man City players seem to want to leave, Aguero is currently transfer listed on my game and so is David Alaba who is pretty much the world's best left back and they only bought him the summer before very odd.

Can't see how I have influenced this either, maybe I have taken an easy 6 pts away from them but they lost nearly 20 games between them. Man Utd have a forward line of RVP, Rooney and Neymar :eek:

Thats probably the most bizarre thing out of everything. I haven't managed in the Premiership for awhile but is it that easy to build up that dominant of a team so quickly?

Full detail is only one part of it. I find loading all players from the country I'm managing in, plus players from the top leagues in Italy, Spain, Germany, France, Holland, and Portugal gives me the most realistic results. I never see anyone but the real life big 6 finish in the top 6, my EPL winners are always one of Arsenal, Chelsea, Man Utd, or Man City. And the european cups are always won by big name teams.

If people are seeing the likes of Stoke & Sunderland massively over-achieve in their games and see the likes of Celtic reach CL finals, it may be worth loading more top class players from the major euro leagues.

The only downside to my current save was seeing Newcastle win the FA Cup. Not very realistic since they've won nothing for 60 odd years in reality :herman:

I play mine on a large database with 57 leagues in operation but they weren't all running in top detail since changing this I've noticed the results are starting to become more realistic most noticeably in the English Premiership as the others weren't that bad. I've also noticed sackings are lowering which is better.

Thats probably the most bizarre thing out of everything. I haven't managed in the Premiership for awhile but is it that easy to build up that dominant of a team so quickly?

Don't know I've only played this one save. I finished 5th the first season, won the league by a few points without really trying the second season and then won it at a canter third season. I haven't made wholesale changes either and I reckon my net spend over the 3 years is about £35 million or so and about £10 million of that was on players who I bought more for tutoring than first team action (some french left back and Jelle Vossen, both had about 12 starts mainly in cups).

Played a 4-4-1-1 and my first team that won the league in the second season was:-

GK: Boruc

DL: Clyne

DC: Okore (cost £1.4 million)

DC: Kirchhoff (cost £7.5 million)

DR: Cork

ML: Wellington Nem (cost £3.5 million)

MC: Mudingayi (cost £5 million)

MC: Schniederlin

MR: Lallana

AMC: Ramirez

SC: Rodriguez.

So 7 from that starting 11 start the game with Saints. Third season I bought Oxlaide Chamberlain for £18.5 million and he replaced a

Lallana on the right, a first season regen played more games than Mudingayi, Doria played more games at CB than Okore and Shaw played a lot of games at LB. I also had a lot of talented youngsters that could come into the team including James Ward-Prowse, Adryan, Victor Andrade.

Southampton have a lot of good young players and lot of the first teamers like Clyne, Rodriguez, Schniederlin, Ramirez have decent potential to improve.

I had Bilbao relegated in FM12, helped myself to thier best players of course :D

my Bury save is the most interesting, Doncaster are conceding like 4 goals a game, in the first 3 games. sat second bottom with -13GD.....

oh Wigan getting relegated? that bug happns in FM12... everyone knows wigans lowest finish is 17th :p

it is quite easy to build a strong team with the right tactics, my Bury save Cullen currently scoring for fun.

In my game Stoke are in a clear 3rd place exactly halfway through the 1st season' date=' think this definitely shows either the tactics the game's AI uses are unbalanced or the Stoke players are rated way too high.

Btw. The only signing they have made has only played 1 game, so it's nothing to do with that.[/quote']

There definitely seems to be a Stoke issue, they seem to be cropping up high up in a lot of the replies and they're still second in mine, unless they do end up finishing in the top four this season in real life!

• 2 weeks later...

I guess it's only right to follow up my own thread. The first season did end with Stoke and Villa in the top four, however my second season, which is now in February, has been much more realistic with the usual suspects in the top six and the likes of Stoke and Villa in the bottom half. Still strange to see Stoke in the Champions League though!

On my game, Man City completely walked the Premier League in the first season, finishing 21 points ahead of Chelsea in 2nd. Only 4 points separated Chelsea from Tottenham in 6th. The bizarre standings have to be Stoke in 3rd (Crouch with 19 premiership goals) and Everton getting relegated in 19th.

Also, in other European leagues, AC Milan finished 8th in Serie A and Ajax and PSV finished 5th and 6th respectively (over 20 points behind winners AZ).

Archived