Senegal's Arsenal Thread 2012/2013 : featuring positive negativity

Retro

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That kind of injury makes him more prone to other injuries though. I'm just stating, all things considered I think Higuain is a much better buy (and for a lower transfer fee).

Yes, he's a second striker. Signing him would indicate a change in formation unless Wenger is going to do what he usually does and play him out of position.

He's been playing as a centre forward in a three pronged attack since February, since then results have improved.

He is probably the most RVP of players out there in terms of technical ability and positions he plays in that he is thought of as a number 10 but he can play the 9 and a half role. His goal scoring could improve but he shows flashes of great form

Selling him is probably Wenger's only way out.

Actually selling him is probably the best for all parties. Manager doesn't have a difficult decision, club doesn't have an unhappy player, dressing room less likely to be taking sides on the matter

He's been playing as a centre forward in a three pronged attack since February, since then results have improved.

Not necessarily. Fiorentina play a very fluid style of football, there's a lot of interchanging and movement going on. Plus, Montella changes the formation a lot depending on who they are playing. They've played everything from 3-5-2, 3-6-1 to 4-3-3. It also helps having an attention grabbing figure like Luca Toni to play with too.

I don't think he'd be suited to a 4-5-1 in the Premiership in the slightest. Could he play there? Yes. But it'd be a complete and utter waste of his ability. He'd be much better sitting behind a striker, or on the left wing in a 4-3-3. Add to the fact he's never been an out and out goalscorer.

I haven't seen enough of Jovetic to know if he's good enough to play as a lone striker in England. Technical abilities will only get you so far here. You don't need to be Drogba, but every single successful striker we've had are both athletic and aggressive. Lone strikers in England need to be ready to battle with defenders.

If Vermaelen leaves you can say goodbye to a title challenge. What a back up centre half to have in the squad. The 2nd half of this season his form hasn't been great I know, but what if he gets a cup run next year and ends up being his solid Verminating self again. Can't believe alot of people ok with him going. Who is it to come in after that, Squillaci?!

Think Vermaelen proved this year he isn't actually all that incredible, the Verminator, meh. No goals this year means his errors have been spotted by everyone I guess. I was one of those who thought he was a good CB before this year without doubt/

Wenger could easily replace him with money, sell him for something like £10-15million and then Wenger can find a good CB in the £10million range, of course one of the leagues best partnerships now in Mertesacker and Koscielny were around that price and don't forget Mertesacker was actually a 3rd choice before.

If Vermaelen leaves you can say goodbye to a title challenge. What a back up centre half to have in the squad. The 2nd half of this season his form hasn't been great I know, but what if he gets a cup run next year and ends up being his solid Verminating self again. Can't believe alot of people ok with him going. Who is it to come in after that, Squillaci?!

He was never 'solid'. He had good games of course, but he's been making the same mistakes ever since he joined us.

I don't think anyone is suggesting we sell him without buying a replacement.

If it's a choice between jovetic and higuain give me the later especially if the £30m price tag for jovetic is true. I think this team needs a finisher up front more than anything else and jovetic is more creative forward than finisher. I think we need one one of those aswell don't get me wrong but i would like to see wenger finally sign a striker that scores goals.

Isn't our interest in Jovetić been reported for a while, now? Pretty sure that he was being linked to us last summer as well and nothing came of it.

He's yours. I highly doubt we'd get him given that the Schürrle deal's been practically complete for the past couple of weeks and that we'll bring a striker too

If it's a choice between jovetic and higuain give me the later especially if the £30m price tag for jovetic is true. I think this team needs a finisher up front more than anything else and jovetic is more creative forward than finisher. I think we need one one of those aswell don't get me wrong but i would like to see wenger finally sign a striker that scores goals.

This. £30 million would be too much on a player who doesn't quite fill our main need at this moment. I really think we need another creative player though

imagine how good we could be if we actually bought both of them :D

Would love this :D

I think it's around that maybe slightly more but tbh i would find it hard to spend £25m on him aswell, my main issue is less about the money and more if we are signing him to be the centre forward of this team.

I watch him and don't see that as a easy projection the way he plays and if he ends up playing wide left in the forward line we are stuck with Giroud as the main striker again.

My guess is we'll probably sign one attacking player this summer, in addition to Sanogo. I think, in WEnger's mind, we're only 1 short.

He sees our strike options as Giroud and Sanogo.

Our winger options as Walcott, Ox, and Gervinho (I think Wenger rates him :()

This leaves Podolski. In my opinion, who Wenger buys, will come down to where he thinks Podolski fits in. If he wants to train Podolski as a striker, then he'll see that we already have 3 strikers, and he'll buy another attacking midfielder. If he sees Podolski as a winger, then he'll buy a striker so that in his mind, we have "two world-class striker."

That's my prediction regarding this summer's attacking purchases.

Having said that, I expect at least one signing in the midfield department this summer, as well.

There's no chance Wenger will see Giroud, Podolski and Sanogo as our 3 strikers for next season.

I would not put it past him if he doesn't see "value" in the market. If he does sign someone it might not be to be the number one but a back up role

Archived