Senegal's Arsenal Thread 2012/2013 : featuring positive negativity

Retro

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I see him staying now. I think Jenkinson could very well be ready. I wouldn't be surprised if him and Sagna rotate a bit more next season and then Sagna goes with Bellerin stepping up if he continues his progress, particularly defensively.

He has been terrible this season.

Not just the defensive mistakes but has been is abysmal offensively and must be worst crosser of a ball in professional football.

The only thing worse than his crossing is the number of times he ruins a good break by senselessly turning his back to goal when in a good position and passing it backwards. :mad:

Shocker of a player! His time is up whether he has changed his mind about leaving or not.

Same nonsense with the centre backs who have been absolute rubbish for most of the season.

A decent couple of months and everybody is talking like Mertesacker and Koscielney are the new Bould and Adams. Absolutely ridiculous!

I thought Clichy was woeful in his final season at Arsenal, but Sagna set new standards in full back awfulness last year.

Andre Santos? Armand Traore? God, we've had some truly woeful fullbacks in recent years. :D

To be fair to Sagna, he was coming off two leg breaks, before which he'd been consistently one of the best RBs in the league. Plus we played Walcott so far forward that he had very little support in defence and tended to get isolated. I doubt he'll ever be the player he was again, but Coleman is not quick enough and not technically strong enough for our style of play.

Sagna has been bloody awful for ages and any decent Premier League defender would be huge improvement.

This is nonsense.

You massively over rate our players.

All of them would be an improvement on what we have.

Well if you think those players will turn us into title challengers I think you massively over-rate them, they are not of the quality we need!

It is pretty crazy how much worse Sagna has been this season. The 2 big injuries last year plus his age might have had in impact. Sagna has never offered much going forward, so I don't think he's that much worse in that department this season. I remember teams used to shut us down by packing the middle, forcing the balls to Clichy and Sagna, knowing they can't do shyte with it.

Funny thing is, our right flank has never been that potent except for a brief time when Eboue/Hleb were the right flank duo. Even during the Invincibles Year, Lauren and Ljungberg weren't that great going forward either. Lauren, like Sagna, provided a lot of energy down the flanks, but little end product. Ljungberg and Walcott were both at their best being at the end of a move, than starting one. Most of our creativity have always come through the middle or down the left flank. Our weak right flank stand out more now, simple because the rest of the pitch isn't performing as well.

What is horrifying is how much worse Sagna is this season, at defending. He used to be very good at it. I'd rate him as one of our two best defenders in recent time, along with Gallas (Per/Kos still have another season or two to prove themselves.) I'm not too sure what went wrong.

Having said that, I'm not too sure Seamus Coleman is the right answer. To be honest, I haven't seen enough of him to be a fair judge (only saw like 7-8 Everton games this season.) I feel like having COleman and Jenkinson as our rightbacks is too risky, in terms of how young, inexperienced, and undeveloped they are. I think Jenkinson is our future, and we don't need another future. If we sign someone to replace Sagna, I'd rather get someone who's genuine quality and can establish himself right away.

In other news, Gervinho says he won't leave Arsenal :(

It is pretty crazy how much worse Sagna has been this season. The 2 big injuries last year plus his age might have had in impact. Sagna has never offered much going forward, so I don't think he's that much worse in that department this season. I remember teams used to shut us down by packing the middle, forcing the balls to Clichy and Sagna, knowing they can't do shyte with it.

Funny thing is, our right flank has never been that potent except for a brief time when Eboue/Hleb were the right flank duo. Even during the Invincibles Year, Lauren and Ljungberg weren't that great going forward either. Lauren, like Sagna, provided a lot of energy down the flanks, but little end product. Ljungberg and Walcott were both at their best being at the end of a move, than starting one. Most of our creativity have always come through the middle or down the left flank. Our weak right flank stand out more now, simple because the rest of the pitch isn't performing as well.

What is horrifying is how much worse Sagna is this season, at defending. He used to be very good at it. I'd rate him as one of our two best defenders in recent time, along with Gallas (Per/Kos still have another season or two to prove themselves.) I'm not too sure what went wrong.

In terms of our right flank it is interesting you say that since most of our attacking has come down that flank over the last two seasons. Sagna is curious is it isn't that he has got worse at defending it is just he is having lapses now which he didn't previously and they are quite frequent. I won't forget how immense he was at centre back though

Only 2 players on that list would definitely make us better, the rest are maybe make us better to maybe nots!

Wouldn't mind Wanyama or Benteke but but not at ridiculous prices (which I guess at least the latter will have).

Wouldn't want Cesc back, but would buy Seamus Coleman for TWELVE MILLION!?

Quite obviously trolling.

The ignore function can really save your sanity at times... :D

Not a bad signing. Much better than Fabianski. Can provide real competition for Woj, which is only a good thing.

In terms of our right flank it is interesting you say that since most of our attacking has come down that flank over the last two seasons. Sagna is curious is it isn't that he has got worse at defending it is just he is having lapses now which he didn't previously and they are quite frequent. I won't forget how immense he was at centre back though

I think this is particularly true when Walcott is on-fire, and when he was combining with RvP. However, I don't think our right flank has been particularly potent, even if a lot of traffic goes down it. It doesn't help that last year we were so reliant on gervinho.

Andre Santos? Armand Traore? God, we've had some truly woeful fullbacks in recent years. :D

They were never good to start with though. :D

To be fair to Sagna, he was coming off two leg breaks, before which he'd been consistently one of the best RBs in the league. Plus we played Walcott so far forward that he had very little support in defence and tended to get isolated. I doubt he'll ever be the player he was again, but Coleman is not quick enough and not technically strong enough for our style of play.

To me, it looked like Sagna simply didn't care last season, and was waiting to leave. I can give the benefit of the doubt to players coming back from injury, I thought Ramsey got to much stick for his performances a year or so back, if anything he was awful because he tried too hard, Sagna just didn't look to be putting the effort in.

According to FM, we have a 50% sell on Fabregas, if that's correct surely he'd only cost us half of what he'd cost everyone else? :p

That's why it's unlikely he'll join anyone but us in the future, because it's reported we have first option in the £25-30m mark and any other team would have to spend £70m on him for Barca to break even!

"I have more or less made a decision about which club I want to join," Grenier said. "I have made the choice for sporting reasons above all. Arsenal? It could well be them.

"There would be competition for places, but you get that at all big clubs and it does not stop me making my decision.

"I am still young, but I have always set myself targets and I do everything possible to exceed them."

Read more at http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/210016.html#kMUl2kdPfc1rItc0.99

If Fabregas came back, could we put Santi on one of the wings?

----------Giroud------------

Santi-----------------Theo

-----Cesc--Arteta/Jack---

---------New DM---------

I think Santi will stay on the left. Wenger prefers a creative wide playmaker like Benayoun and Nasri compared to a direct wide forward on the opposite flank.

They've been hit and miss, more hit right? Gervinho stands out but in the past successes from Nasri to Flamini to recent such as Kosc stand out more. I actually heard this kid dubbed the new Nasri in an article, hope if he has all that talent then he'll show a bit more loyalty to Arsenal than Samir ever did, obviously he should learn from Samir that money and trophies is very nice but becoming an average footballer is not so much. It just seems these French players mostly prosper for us and then leave us and fade.

I think Lars would be the type of player in midfield they have not had in awhile, and at that price he is a bargain. Can play right back too. ;)

Archived