Senegal's Arsenal Thread 2012/2013 : featuring positive negativity

Retro

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rooney is quite clearly overrated and always has been. Doesn't mean he's not excellent but he's never imo been one of the best in the world! On top of that im not sure he's the type of striker we need?

Yes, he is the type of striker we need. Scores and creates goals. Already links up well with Theo for England. It's a risk but a risk we should take. He's better than Jovetic and Higuain and is the best CF we can realistically get. Plus we get money back from him because of his commercial value.

I cant believe people dont want Rooney at Arsenal.

I come in this thread now and again, try to avoid it as I can't do with all the negativity here. One thing that seemed to be consistent is that people wanted big/expensive signings, surely Rooney is beyond what people expected/hoped.

I just think people need to get some perspective, were talking about a player who plays regularly for the team that just walked the league.

I think he'd be brilliant, while Giroud plays OK as a target man and is excellent at bringing others into play, his chance conversion and shots on targets are terrible. I think Rooney can play up front on his own and would be brilliant linking up with Wilshere, Cazorla, Podolski & Walcott, whilst probably being out best finisher too if he was to join.

I get the feeling Villa is just a back up plan if all else (Rooney, Jovetic, Higuain, Benteke etc.) fails. Could be worse back up plans tbf but I'd be extremely underwhelmed if we just signed Villa but I do think we'll get one of the better strikers we're after.

Massively underrating Villa here :lol:

He's 31 and is well past his best. He's still a very good striker, not one we should be pinning our hopes on.

English papers picking up the Higuain story but that's likely off the back of that Colombian radio station. One thing that has to be said for him is his scoring and assist record is very good.

Massively underrating Villa here :lol:

He probably is but the fact is that Wenger probably has doubts about if Villa is not finished physically, especially in a new league which is more physical and has a higher tempo than La Liga.

Still don't want Rooney personally, loads of reasons including physical/past his best concerns, I'd be less concerned with David Villa on that front, possibly illogically. Think all his allround play is way overrated, I mean his touch sometimes :lol: the season I really rated him was when he played as a proper "9" for United, scored loads of goals, and a lot with his head. If he played that role and can be that effective again then yeah, go for it, but otherwise nahh. With this system we've been playing for years, we've seen with people like Ade/Bendtner before that too often, no-one will be in the box if the striker wanders about. Not convinced Wenger can either make him be disciplined enough to do whats best for the team, or get/keep him fit enough.

Ignoring all that, and on a more general athlete front, should we just ignore their personality if they play for our team? He's just dislikeable in so many ways too, and I think it does/should matter.

I'd happily take on a world class player with an ego bigger than Bendtner because they're there to win stuff, the arrogance actually becomes kind of admirable when they back it with talent. Somewhere along the line you say goodbye to your Eboue's and hello to the mean players who will win things, I just don't really care about liking players, I like winners in sport.

We're not a team of angels, but personally, its not about personalities, but history. I don't want Rooney for the same reason I wouldn't want RvN at his peak for us. Too much history. I can't get behind them. I'd rather get someone who might not be as good, but I can more fully support like Higuain.

What ornstein said was pretty meaningless. As nothing was said about the release clause being met. On Rooney it is clear the discussions have been internal. Higuain seems a better fit than Rooney or jovetic in that he is an established goal scorer unlike jovetic and he doesn't have fitness, form and fags issue like Rooney. I think the most we can gather is him going to juve isn't as clear cut as it seemed and possibly we are nearer than they are to him. Fellaini and Higuain would be beyond my wildest expectations though I have doubts about both like I do for almost everyone

I still think Villa would be a good signing but I think we've got more ambitious/greedier/more spoilt due to being linked with the likes of Rooney, Jovetic and Higuain combined with Gazidis coming out and saying there's **** loads of money to be spent. He's obviously a top quality talented player who has crucial experience of being at the very top, but he's not a particularly long term fix and I think he'd end up playing out wide anyway.

it is quite funny how since January we've gone from really wanting Villa to not being majorly fussed about him

We have also been linked with quite a few big names and everyone has become picky :D

Myles Palmer first this morning and now a golf journalist have both said Cesc is coming back to us. The golf journo said his scource has given him 4 transfers over the years, 3 of which came true. Campbell to us, RvP to United, Song to Barca and Alonso to us which if memory serves me correctly would have happened had Liverpool been able to sign Barry.

I'll try not to get my hopes up. :(

Had that come off it would have still been the most mental thing Liverpool have ever done. Would have topped Carroll even. Sell Alonso for cheap and replace him with Barry. :D

Barry is far superior to Carroll ffs :D

Selling Alonso and replacing him with Aquilani was a worse idea than replacing him with Barry.

At that time Alonso and Benitez had a breakdown of communication so it was likely that he was going to leave.

In other news, the Daily Mail are linking us with Gundogan, Lars Bender and Higuain. We definitely won't sign both Lars and Gundogan. It's good to be linked with quality players and not **** like Scott Dann and Kevin Doyle.

So we are linked with all the top players on the market (and some off) and the board are saying we have loads of money to spend. Am I bound to get disappointed?

Not saying we are not signing any good players. But the names being thrown around are quite bigger than previous years

At that time Alonso and Benitez had a breakdown of communication so it was likely that he was going to leave.In other news, the Daily Mail are linking us with Gundogan, Lars Bender and Higuain. We definitely won't sign both Lars and Gundogan. It's good to be linked with quality players and not **** like Scott Dann and Kevin Doyle.
Would eat my own hair if we signed gundogan it's just never happening. The other two however....
I've got a feeling there will be at least one big signing, probably two. When was the last time Arsenal signed two genuinely top players? Platt and Bergkamp?
Signings like pires or Henry would be big now so that is quite difficult to say.

No need to be sorry it's always just curious how people miss a bit like that in the mirror story as that is probably the key bit which shows that the story is for real. Doesn't mean we'll get him. It's just newspapers are never that specific unless the story has legs to match the hyped up headline.

I've already watched videos of and researched stats about Higuiain so I'm officially at a stage where I'll be dissapointed should it not happen.

I'm almost definitely going to be dissapointed. :(

If Cesc ends up anywhere else but us I'd be shocked and super angry. If Cesc is available, I'd expect we'd be his first choice, but I also expect us to "move heaven and earth" to get him as well.

Archived