Senegal's Arsenal Thread 2012/2013 : featuring positive negativity

Retro

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It might be better leave this till after Sunday but we may all be angry then so I'll do it now.

People's top 5 players of the season?

I'll go for 1. Per Mert 2. Santi 3. Theo 4. Arteta 5. Gibbs

Per and Santi are the only two choices for the top spot really. I went for Per because he's been the one solid in the defence this season and he's been consistently very good. Santi is also deserving of the number one spot but I also have an extra likeness towards Per.

I'd have had Arteta above Theo until recently when Theo has started winning us points again. Arteta has been vital again this season and despite a dip in form has been immense in this unbeaten run.

Gibbs is just a brilliant left back. He can be a bit casual on the ball at times but providing he can avoid long injuries we have an excellent left back that's still young.

Honourable mentions go out to Koscielny and Ramsey for their importance post Munich.

I'm just quoting this to get it onto the new page.

The sad part is that he probably won't be in the team come next season most likely.

That's good. It means we'll have depth and quality. Ramsey as a sub will mean we have an even better midfielder in there.

I wonder if Wenger would have gone for Sanogo if we were able to secure the signing of that other French bloke, who end up signing for Milan. Niang I think his name was?

Sanogo is a decent signing. Low risk if it comes off it's excellent if not who cares?

He is a decent signing for free. My point is simply that knowing Wenger, he didn't want to spend money on a good proven striker so he's signing Sanogo as a low risk move and he'll brand him 'as a guy with lots of potential'.

If we have another summer transfer window of disorganised, unplanned and simply cowardly dealings, then we'll be in a lot more trouble next year.

He is a decent signing for free. My point is simply that knowing Wenger, he didn't want to spend money on a good proven striker so he's signing Sanogo as a low risk move and he'll brand him 'as a guy with lots of potential'.

If we have another summer transfer window of disorganised, unplanned and simply cowardly dealings, then we'll be in a lot more trouble next year.

I think this is such a miserable point of view.

In terms of player of the season: Cazorla, Mertesacker, Walcott, Arteta, Gibbs.

I think this is such a miserable point of view.

In terms of player of the season: Cazorla, Mertesacker, Walcott, Arteta, Gibbs.

Just because it's miserable doesn't mean it's not going to happen does it? I hope it doesn't happen of course, but there is a strong possibility it does.

For years now we've been told the club would 'spend big' and gullible fans go along with it. I won't believe it until I see it. We've only spent substantial money when we've received substantial money on sales. And if we do spend big, it will no doubt be several players for 8-12M each, opposed to two players for say 20M each which is what we need right now. Wenger needs to show some balls and pay-up big for two big name players. Get Higuain for £22M, Gonalons for £15M and a backup central defender and I'd say we'd be good to seriously challenge for the title.

Wonder if this could be the actual 'make or break' summer. Every team around us should improve to an extent, Spurs and Liverpool may worry if they lose two world beaters but if money is spent well they could well actually be better, Man United may struggle without Fergie a bit more but without doubt will be top 3 or 4. Could end up with a free for all around that top 6 zone and we're going to fall behind if we rely on Giroud up top and Santi as our only real consistent game changer, even then he can't act as a figure like Bale or Suarez are. Wenger surprises me in being able to finish 4th the way he does things and it has come down to luck at times, wonder when that luck may just run out and realistic changes are made. Need some solid improvements to stay challenging and as many of you have said with some of the wage wasters leaving this should be a big summer, else what would be the point of beating Spurs for 4th? (If we do)

I am excited by this summer though, should be chaotic.

If we win Saturday I'm sure we'll properly improve this summer. First time in 2 years our best player isn't leaving too which will make things easier.

Hopefully we will spend big and leave the likes of Spurs, Liverpool and Everton behind.

For years now we've been told the club would 'spend big' and gullible fans go along with it. I won't believe it until I see it. We've only spent substantial money when we've received substantial money on sales. And if we do spend big, it will no doubt be several players for 8-12M each, opposed to two players for say 20M each which is what we need right now. Wenger needs to show some balls and pay-up big for two big name players. Get Higuain for £22M, Gonalons for £15M and a backup central defender and I'd say we'd be good to seriously challenge for the title.

I think this whole idea that the club has broken promises of spending big is untrue. Admittedly, I don't read every news bit, but I don't recall such promises.

The only promise the club has made regarding big money spending, that I can recall, is that yes, we could afford to make big signing. On this count, they haven't lied to us at all. Yes, even for the past few years, the club could afford to make a big signing (not because we have money lying around doing nothing, but because we can finance such a purchase in the long-term.) We just chose not to.

Having said that, I do remember a few summers Wenger saying we'd only sign super quality, only for us to end up with the likes of Park, Chamakh, and Gervinho...

If we win Saturday I'm sure we'll properly improve this summer. First time in 2 years our best player isn't leaving too which will make things easier.

Hopefully we will spend big and leave the likes of Spurs, Liverpool and Everton behind.

We've now got a scapegoat if someone comes in for Santi :D

Why spend £1m on a game that surely doesn't matter that much to Newcastle? Compared to their last few anyway. we could do without this, why can't Newcastle do what any normal club does at the end of the season like this and put the kids out when all is done and decided...!

Another Gervinho then :thup:

At least Gervinho played and did SOMETHING for the team....hopefully Wenger doesnt sign another Park! 9 goals from 46 league appearances is better than Park!! Park was just a stupid signing - why sign someone who has to go back to their country after 2 years!?!

Wow, 10m, thought he was a lot cheaper than that

He was part of title-winning side, and double-digit goal scorer. Something went wrong somewhere. I suspect its just him over-performing, as we've seen him do in patches for us.

Mike Ashley apparently is a Chelsea fan. Can't see him paying £1m for nothing.

He’s a Tottenham fan.

Good luck today, obviously hoping your luck finally runs out and we get a bit of fortune after food and choking related catastrophes in recent years. Sadly you have something to fight for and Newcastle dont, that will be the difference.

Free or not, there are better strikers in the French 2nd Division to sign. I'd sign Aristeguieta out of anyone there (admittedly he'd be way more expensive)

Free or not, there are better strikers in the French 2nd Division to sign. I'd sign Aristeguieta out of anyone there (admittedly he'd be way more expensive)

Great season for him and Nantes. Not sure if Nantes has an option to buy.

I don't know anything about Sanogo, but after watching a bit on Youtube :p, some of his goals are impressive.

Look, we all know that we need to spend some cash and sign a few top players ready to play now, but that doesn't mean that Wenger can never sign a young talented player and bring him on. Thats actually a good thing, that I would like to continue. But it depends what he does in the summer, lets wait until then before we condemn him.

Anyway, COYG today. We should beat Newcastle and lets hope to get 3rd. C'MON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Surprisingly calm and ready for this at the moment. Strange considering these 90 minutes will dictate my general mood and attitude towards football for the entire summer. No European Championships or World Cup to suck up our shame if we can't do it. MON LADS

Archived