Senegal's Arsenal Thread 2012/2013 : featuring positive negativity

Retro

Adebayor used to get provided with a lot more chances than Giroud's had this season... and he would miss the majority of them. The longer-serving members of this thread (if there are any left besides ajw) will maybe remember I was never a fan of his.

There's a lot I like about Giroud, but there's no escaping the fact that he's not putting as many chances away as he should be. He needs to be more clinical, but I've not yet given up hope that he'll find his finishing boots. We need another striker though... we can't rely on him alone next season.

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Keep in mind that in 07/08 we had a very in-form Cesc, very reliable Hleb, and almost-worldclass pre-injury Rosicky. That midfield could have made any striker in the league look good.

The general consensus amongst pundits seems to be that Spurs will miss out on the CL but I think we are far from secure.

Yes we should beat Wigan but going to St James on the last day of the season will be difficult, all the more so if they are playing to stay up.

I don't think it's too unlikely that we could miss out.

We're getting some unexpected help from Aston Villa.

I think we are going to make it, even though we were lucky in some games recently.

Beating Wigan is vital also because it may guarantee Newcastle's safety before the last game.

:D :D :D

Amazing. First season at the club as a 18 year old saw him force the legendary Ian Wright out of the side as he scored important league goals and a goal in the FA Cup Final to secure the double. Second season saw him get voted YPOTY. Yeah, Giroud miles better.

Wrighty was injured for most of the season after he broke the record and he scored 8 league goals or something. The goals he scored weren't that important, the cup final goal aside. Giroud has already scored more then Anelka did in his first season. And he is better. :brock:

We could easily screw this up. Remember the end of last season? We did our very best to throw it away and only Martin fu**ing Fulop's own incompetence kept us in 3rd.

Fixed that for you. Don't thank me.

Old enough. I never rated Anelka, because he's massively overrated. He was alright, and I would rather have Giroud then 97-99 Anelka.

Jesus, how can someone's opinion be so drastically wrong.

well chelsea are now in a comfortable 3rd place. Tuesday's game against wigan wont be easy as they'll be fighting to stay up! hopefully stoke will make things awkward for an away tottingham side! i think arsenal will get 4th place, but it will be close!

AVB on Szczesny remarks at Tottenham's "lack of quality": 'It would be a little more tolerable coming from a genuine Arsenal fan, not a player only passing through to another club' - Also claimed Woj had only just arrived at the club despite arriving in 2006.

AVB trying to live up to the Jose Mourinho mk 2 status? Although tbf Woj did deserve someone to put him in his place.

I think WS needs to do the talking on the pitch! I doubt Lehman wouldve done what WS just did at this point in the season....same for seaman!

Ah, I remember asking for Moyes to replace Wenger numerous times in this thread only to be shot down in flames by the fanboys. Now it seems one of the biggest European clubs of the last 20 years want him to take over from the greatest manager this country has ever seen. Suddenly Moyes doesn't seem like such a bad idea does it!?

i think MUFC have done well to get Moyes! I was hoping that when Wenger left, Moyes would come to AFC as his replacement ... now im not so sure of who i'd like to take over from Wenger, especially if he leaves at the end of his contract next season!

Wrighty was injured for most of the season after he broke the record and he scored 8 league goals or something. The goals he scored weren't that important, the cup final goal aside. Giroud has already scored more then Anelka did in his first season. And he is better. :brock:

The first goal in a 3-2 win at home to United, another in a 2-2 draw at Coventry and 2 in a 3-1 win at home to Newcastle wasn't important at all. His knock down for Overmars to score the winner at OT wasn't important either. Cup Final goal technically was one of his least important.

Wanting Giroud over that Anelka is absolutely mental. Have to assume you weren't old enough to remember Anelka or you are still hurt by his departure.

He was a bit dodgy in the first half of 97-98, maybe he didn't get a good run of games under his belt? Can't remember these days, but he was very good in the second half of the season and immense in 1998-99.

Anyone who doesn't think Anelka was any good for us is dramatically misremembering.

And I would take Anelka at that age over Giroud any day despite not having any dislike for Giroud.

i think MUFC have done well to get Moyes! I was hoping that when Wenger left, Moyes would come to AFC as his replacement ... now im not so sure of who i'd like to take over from Wenger, especially if he leaves at the end of his contract next season!

There were a lot of people in this thread mentioning Moyes as a potential replacement and of course some people who weren't so keen... pretty standard situation in a thread. But Sy is always trying to make out he's the only who is right in hindsight. Anyone would think he was amazingly insecure or something.

FFS. Villa :mad:

I remember reading somewhere that although we made very good business off selling Anelka (funded our new training center :thup:) Wenger's dream partnership was Henry/Anelka. Apparently, Wenger had his sight on Henry even back then, probably had a good impression back in his Monaco days.

And LMAO at Man City :lol:

Fantastic result in the FA Cup Final today, great to see the underdogs pull through against Manchester City and good to see a club taking the FA Cup seriously rewarded for doing just that. I for one hope Wigan Athletic's squad and coaching staff really have a wonderful evening and get absolutely hammered tonight, literally. In fact not just tonight, they've earnt another big night out on Sunday too. Really really hope they enjoy themselves in every bar so much this next few days, good on them. Let the champagne and the vodka flow :thup:

No way will Arsenal beat them now, with them being on such a high. Can't see it personally.

:(

True. Who could forget Birmingham's great relegation escape after beating us to win the Carling Cup :)

Higuain is the superior of all 3. He's younger and less worn than Rooney, as well as possessing superior technical ability. And he's simply overall better than Jovetic...

Get Higuain, two midfielders and a defender and we could challenge for the league...

Genuinely don't get the Anelka love in here. I was at the Newcastle game someone mentioned and yeah he scored twice. But he did **** all else. He was a selfish excuse for a footballer and we were well shot of him when he went. Best bit of business Wenger ever did making £20m off him. You might disagree with me, but our team would be better with Giroud in it then Anelka, of that I have absolutely no doubt. Trying to give him the credit for Overmars' goal as well. Why don't you give it to Petit or Parlour who won the first header? :D

Archived