Senegal's Arsenal Thread 2012/2013 : featuring positive negativity

Retro

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OHHHHHHH SANTI CAZORLA.

Considering how average this team is, there are a lot of players that I really like. Santi, Arteta, Theo, Per, Kos, Gibbs, Rosicky. Some good characters in that side that started last night, just needs a bit more quality.

Looking at last nights team, if we got a fitter, more reliable upgrade on Rosicky, a top striker, a Sagna replacement and probably a better keeper, we could really challenge again.

Last night was so irritating but worked out quite well for you guys, didnt expect anything else though sadly. Wigan lost the game as soon as McManaman came off for Di Santo, Wigan just didnt have the legs or the shape to play with two striker and a man less in midfield away at the Emirates. That switch to 4-4-2 killed them, but they were always going to leave space as they had to go for it as a point wasnt enough for them.

I cant see you not smashing Newcastle so well played and no doubt in a years time you’ll be finding a new way to crush our little Lillywhite hearts again!

A top striker, another midfielder (or left winger if Santi goes back inside), a decent holding midfielder and replace the players we may lose (Sagna, Vermalen maybe) and I'd be happy. I'd take a keeper too but I wouldn't despair if we didn't get one.

OHHHHHHH SANTI CAZORLA.

Considering how average this team is, there are a lot of players that I really like. Santi, Arteta, Theo, Per, Kos, Gibbs, Rosicky. Some good characters in that side that started last night, just needs a bit more quality.

Looking at last nights team, if we got a fitter, more reliable upgrade on Rosicky, a top striker, a Sagna replacement and probably a better keeper, we could really challenge again.

I agree with this I can't remember us having such a likeable squad for a while. Walcott was excellent last night he was actually involved with us going forwards, excellent delivery and put in a good shift defensively. Podolski's link up play is good but the issue is more his lack of movement off the ball and his inability to anticipate it like Walcott, Giroud or even Gervinho.

Last night was so irritating but worked out quite well for you guys, didnt expect anything else though sadly. Wigan lost the game as soon as McManaman came off for Di Santo, Wigan just didnt have the legs or the shape to play with two striker and a man less in midfield away at the Emirates. That switch to 4-4-2 killed them, but they were always going to leave space as they had to go for it as a point wasnt enough for them.

I cant see you not smashing Newcastle so well played and no doubt in a years time you’ll be finding a new way to crush our little Lillywhite hearts again!

McManaman wasn't an issue as Gibbs had him in his pocket. McManaman was flattered against City because Clichy has always been useless 1v1 whilst Gibbs is generally very good 1v1.

Have to say that Mertesacker and Koscielny really are a top class combination at the back can't remember us having such a complete pairing in a while

McManaman wasn't an issue as Gibbs had him in his pocket. McManaman was flattered against City because Clichy has always been useless 1v1 whilst Gibbs is generally very good 1v1.

I hate that expression ‘in his pocket’... Gibbs was doing a fine job in the first 20/25 mins but Mcmanaman got 3-4 crosses in towards to the end of the first half including skinning him a couple of times. Also cut inside and spread play quite well. He wasnt having a worldy but to say he wasnt making a difference and offering width and attacking intention is a bit silly.

Dont you dare. I see what you're doing.

I dont know what you’re talking about... :rolleyes:

Tbf he was doing better than the bloke down the left, Espinoza was it? Whenever the ball went to McManaman in a decent position I thought 'oh ****', whenever it went down the left I couldn't have cared less. But he suffered slightly because Gibbs>Clichy and there was always 2 or 3 Arsenal players around him because he was the only threat.

I hate that expression ‘in his pocket’... Gibbs was doing a fine job in the first 20/25 mins but Mcmanaman got 3-4 crosses in towards to the end of the first half including skinning him a couple of times. Also cut inside and spread play quite well. He wasnt having a worldy but to say he wasnt making a difference and offering width and attacking intention is a bit silly.

I am no fan of it either but I couldn't think of anything else at the time. Only once did he really cause an issue when Gibbs lost his run otherwise most of his dribbles didn't come off and none of his 3 crosses were successful. He did add width and intent not that that made much of a difference . His passing was pretty sedate also. He only created once chance. Maloney was the one causing problems imo. We couldn't get to grips with him.

Thoughts on Galatasaray for Emirates Cup?

Everyone seems to be kicking up a big fuss, but I don't see the issue. People are saying they shouldn't be invited due to an incident that happened years ago regarding a select few fans. I know the incident was horrible, but they've been invited to a friendly pre-season tournament. Barely any fans will travel, and if they do, what's gonna kick off with a pre-season friendly? They're picking on a club for having a few bad fans. I seem to remember our fans killed a fellow Arsenal fan earlier this season ffs.

I think it's a good call. You get a chance to widen a fan base, bring back a fan favourite in Eboue and also showcase some class players in Sneijder and Drogba.

Apart from parts of their fan base being iffy, what's to stop a bunch of Leeds fans getting on the train and turning up looking for a bit of revenge?

Daft choice anyway, its not like Europe is short of decent football clubs without as much of a controversial history as Galatasaray, just pick a team that haven't had a ruck with Arsenal fans in the past, it shouldn't be difficult for the board.

I think the idea of bringing a club that not only has fans infamous with hooliganism but has history with our fans to a family orientated event is ridiculous. It's a terrible move by the club and I definitely won't be going. I hope a good portion of our fans follow suit.

I might not be grasping this fully, but this is a friendly competion. Hardly think Galatasary's most feared are rubbing their hands together at the prospect of a mediocre weekend kickabout in London? Past events that happened (13 years ago now?) were horrific, I don't disagree but at some point you simply have to move on and build constructively for the future rather than hanging on to negative old memories. They've played in the UK since, they'v taken fans here since and they will do again. If anything it's a chance for Galatasary and Arsenal to come together in the relaxed enviroment of a pre-season tournament and build bridges as the awful memories of Copenhagen and Istanbul thirteen years ago slowly begin to fade away.

I might not be grasping this fully, but this is a friendly competion. Hardly think Galatasary's most feared are rubbing their hands together at the prospect of a mediocre weekend kickabout in London? Past events that happened (13 years ago now?) were horrific, I don't disagree but at some point you simply have to move on and build constructively for the future rather than hanging on to negative old memories. They've played in the UK since, they'v taken fans here since and they will do again. If anything it's a chance for Galatasary and Arsenal to come together in the relaxed enviroment of a pre-season tournament and build bridges as the awful memories of Copenhagen and Istanbul thirteen years ago slowly begin to fade away.

But why pick a club with a greater chance of trouble? Also, there was a bit of trouble when Napoli came to West Ham a couple of years ago for a pre season friendly.

Just went on Wiki to see how Sanogo is getting on in real life, to see this;

"He signed for Arsenal on the 17th May 2013 on a 4 year deal for free of course, with Wenger's record of unearthing the world's best talent, he will no doubt hope he turns into another Henry or Anelka. One Arsene Wenger.Yep There is only One Arseeeeene Weeeenger!!"

Ermmm Ramsey definitely wasn't magnificent. That was probably his worst game of 2013.

I echo Retros thoughts on Diaby. Horrible player.

Do you deliberately just disagree with everything I say? Ramsey was excellent. He was everywhere, winning the ball, pushing the tempo and getting the team forward. Yeah, I agree at times his execution should be better, but we need an engine room in the midfield and against Wigan he was it. Absolutely brilliant and his goal was the icing on the cake. Diaby was great 1 in every 4 games when he was fit. Good player, but never consistent and never fit.

Yeah Paul Shane died after Ramsey scored.

We need an experienced keeper' to put some pressure on Szczesny, he's gotten better since being dropped, but if it hadn't been for Kos we would've conceded a goal because he came out rashly again. A right back if Sagna goes, Jenko is good and deserves a chance imo, but we again we need an experienced back up if Sagna's not going to be there. A strong tackler for the middle of midfield. As good as Arteta's been this season, we need someone who's going to really break up play in the middle of the park and then get the ball forward quickly. We could also do with an out and out winger, not a winger that wants to be a centre forward (see Walcott and Podolski), a winger that wants to be a central midfield (see The Ox) or one that falls over his own feet and doesn't have an end product (see Gervinho). As good as Cazorla is, I'd rather he was dictating things in the centre with genuine wingers outside him instead of cutting in from the left. And of course a centre forward.

Do you deliberately just disagree with everything I say? Ramsey was excellent. He was everywhere, winning the ball, pushing the tempo and getting the team forward. Yeah, I agree at times his execution should be better, but we need an engine room in the midfield and against Wigan he was it. Absolutely brilliant and his goal was the icing on the cake. Diaby was great 1 in every 4 games when he was fit. Good player, but never consistent and never fit.

Don't flatter yourself, I disagree with you because I disagree with what you write. Ramsey was really poor. Interesting how you haven't mentioned Retro's post or even Eugsters implied post or are they only disagreeing with you because of who you are?

I've seen Sanogo play 2/3 times this season, which is saying a lot as he's not played all that much.

He's massive in stature, similar to Benteke or Lukaku. He's scored 9 in 11 this season, but 7 of those were in the space of 1 week, and at least 4 of those were easy goals that most players would be able to finish.

I mean, here's the 4 he scored in 1 game vs Laval, all pretty simple.

[video=youtube;sqnb9RT9PcA]

His hat-trick the following week required a bit more talent though, well the first of his goals did anyway:

http://video.lequipe.fr/video/1912cfde0d2s.html

I've seen people say "what about Campbell and Akpom" but I'd say Sanogo is a different type of player to the both of them (Campbell will end up as a winger I think) so it shouldn't be much of an issue.

Anyway, free transfer, from a league we know well, only 20, decent record, no risk. Decent signing really.

Don't flatter yourself, I disagree with you because I disagree with what you write. Ramsey was really poor. Interesting how you haven't mentioned Retro's post or even Eugsters implied post or are they only disagreeing with you because of who you are?

Chelsea fan, watching the game. Not a big fan of Ramsey but apart from his crap shots I thought he was quite impressive tbh.

Langil is off to Saint Etienne I heard. They have another young striker called Ntep, who I think has been more eyecatching when I've seen them play, but maybe that's cause he's a more on-the-ball striker, who will take on defenders, rather than off the ball like Sanogo.

This Sanogo signing could be good if it's part of a strategy. However, if Wenger is going to insist on doing what he's done in recent years you can expect this to be his only striker signing of the season. He'll end up tossing him before he's ready into the first team and damage his confidence too.

Anyway, I hope it is indeed part of a strategy and Higuain will be holding an Arsenal shirt within the next few weeks.

They didn't say it was his worst performance of 2013. You on the other hand appear to go out of your way to generally be a **** and anyone who has an opinion that's different to yours is wrong.

I have no idea what the history is with you two but there isn't anything wrong with ajw's response. In fact, it was almost complete devoid of hyperbole, which makes a change. ;)

I agree with Retro and with ajw for once. It was Ramsey's worst performance of 2013 which shows how far he has come recently. If he could just improve that killer pass/shot in the final third same with Wilshere.

I couldn't fault him for effort - he certainly got around the pitch, but he seemed to be struggling on the ball. It was like he was in too much of a rush and a bit panicky on the ball. Maybe it was the wet and zippy surface (he certainly slipped over a few times).

He's come on a lot this year and getting closer to the form he showed just prior to Shawcross.

It might be better leave this till after Sunday but we may all be angry then so I'll do it now.

People's top 5 players of the season?

I'll go for 1. Per Mert 2. Santi 3. Theo 4. Arteta 5. Gibbs

Per and Santi are the only two choices for the top spot really. I went for Per because he's been the one solid in the defence this season and he's been consistently very good. Santi is also deserving of the number one spot but I also have an extra likeness towards Per.

I'd have had Arteta above Theo until recently when Theo has started winning us points again. Arteta has been vital again this season and despite a dip in form has been immense in this unbeaten run.

Gibbs is just a brilliant left back. He can be a bit casual on the ball at times but providing he can avoid long injuries we have an excellent left back that's still young.

Honourable mentions go out to Koscielny and Ramsey for their importance post Munich.

Archived