Senegal's Arsenal Thread 2012/2013 : featuring positive negativity

Retro

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Obviously it's never going to happen, but in a hypothetical world where the club wanted to spend a bit of cash this summer, would you take Wayne Rooney? A year ago I'd have wanted nothing to do with him, although now (as horrible a monster as he is) the idea of him coming here and sinking United with a few goals next season is strangely appealing.

Yeah I would. I think the loss of Rooney would be far worse to United then the loss of RVP was to us. United fans would be bawling their eyes out and Rooney would revel in being the main man again. I would love it if we signed Rooney, more as a statement of intent then anything else.

The only reason Arsenal were able to get an Italian team that year was because it was Udinese, who had a lower coefficent than most Italian teams, a bit like City being seeded fourth for the group stages. Looks like Milan will take third, so Arsenal would be seeded alongside them.

Yeah I would. I think the loss of Rooney would be far worse to United then the loss of RVP was to us. United fans would be bawling their eyes out and Rooney would revel in being the main man again. I would love it if we signed Rooney, more as a statement of intent then anything else.

hmm and the small matter of fergie

Do you read the United thread here? Going by that, most United fans wouldn't be overly bothered.

No I don't, but I think they grossly underestimate what Rooney brings to them. It's like your wife, once you've been together for 7 years, you start to take each other for granted. The reason I think RVP was so hurtful is because we only got 18 months of full fitness out of him in the 7 years he was with us. That was tough to take.

No I don't, but I think they grossly underestimate what Rooney brings to them. It's like your wife, once you've been together for 7 years, you start to take each other for granted. The reason I think RVP was so hurtful is because we only got 18 months of full fitness out of him in the 7 years he was with us. That was tough to take.

Yeah, but if Rooney goes United still have RVP there to soften the blow, who did Arsenal fans have to turn to? :p

Do you read the United thread here? Going by that, most United fans wouldn't be overly bothered.

I dunno if the club threads here are generally indicative of a club's fan base as a whole, I'd wager that the people on this board are generally better informed and think about football more intelligently than most fans. I think the majority of average 'man on the street' United fans would be pretty pissed off if he left, not to mention the millions of Asian fans who just love the star names.

Giroud gets some harsh stick. He was thrown into the difficult position of being the only striker brought in to replace the best striker in the world.

I think everyone will appreciate Giroud more next season when he (hopefully) isn't the main (only) striker.

You can tell how much of an impact he's had considering how much we've missed him over the last two games. Could you imagine if we hadn't have had him this season?

Our two games prior to the suspension was a 0-0 draw at home to Everton and a 1-0 win at Fulham. We haven't missed him, we've missed a competent striker.

Erm, we created more chances in the opening half hour of the United game than we did in the Fulham and QPR games combined. We were poor against Everton for a good hour too. Just because Podolski has been awful it doesn't make Giroud any less average.

What game were you watching? There's no denying we were the better team and had more of the ball, but Utd created the better chances. Actually if Jones and RVP had been more clinical we could've been 3-1 down at half time. To call him average is a joke. Giroud adds something to our team that none of our other players do, but some people are so blinded by the fact that he isn't Bergkamp, Henry or RVP, they can't see what benefit he brings.

What game were you watching? There's no denying we were the better team and had more of the ball, but Utd created the better chances. Actually if Jones and RVP had been more clinical we could've been 3-1 down at half time. To call him average is a joke. Giroud adds something to our team that none of our other players do, but some people are so blinded by the fact that he isn't Bergkamp, Henry or RVP, they can't see what benefit he brings.

Where have I said otherwise?

Come on now, he's very average, which is fine if he was on the bench, not so good when he's starting every match.

This isn't true by the way.

I am obviously exaggerating, but I'm not far off. We were awful in the other two matches I mentioned, absolutely awful.

Here's a question, when was the last time Giroud played well? Brighton away?

In a heartbeat. Anyone who says otherwise is letting their personal feelings get in the way.

This is football ffs, personal feelings count for heck of a lot.

We're not talking about picking up someone like Lindegaard (sp?) who has no history against us. This is Rooney. Just for that dive to end our unbeaten run alone, I'd never forgive him.

No, I don't want him. I don't want him anywhere near our club. I will still derive a lot of satisfaction if his career goes downhill from here. That makes a small and petty man out of me, but I don't care. If we can afford Rooney, then we can afford some other broke who isn't such a< snip> (by virtue of being Rooney.)

Here's a question, when was the last time Giroud played well? Brighton away?

Munich away, Liverpool, Reading, West Brom, hell even against Everton I don't think he played that badly. He is such an important part of our attack, not just for scoring goals, but the way in which he allows the players around him to interlink well with his hold up play and touches.

Munich away, Liverpool, Reading, West Brom, hell even against Everton I don't think he played that badly. He is such an important part of our attack, not just for scoring goals, but the way in which he allows the players around him to interlink well with his hold up play and touches.

Maybe Reading, (although I'm not convinced by that either and you also have to take the quality of opposition into account) Liverpool was not long after Brighton. In January. He was absolutely awful at West Brom, really really bad. I have no idea what he did in that game for you think he played well.

He missed 2/3 easy chances against Everton. He's a striker, you can't say he played well. It would be like a defender making a couple of howlers and costing us a goal or two and you saying "apart from those mistakes Vermaelen was ok".

Maybe Reading, (although I'm not convinced by that either and you also have to take the quality of opposition into account) Liverpool was not long after Brighton. In January. He was absolutely awful at West Brom, really really bad. I have no idea what he did in that game for you think he played well.

He missed 2/3 easy chances against Everton. He's a striker, you can't say he played well. It would be like a defender making a couple of howlers and costing us a goal or two and you saying "apart from those mistakes Vermaelen was ok".

So what I hear you saying is, he's a striker. If he scores goals he plays well, if he doesn't then he's ****. Doesn't matter what else he brings to the team. So narrow minded. We've only had two genuine out and out consistent goalscorers in the last 20 years, so everyone else except Wrighty and Henry were **** were they? Give me a break.

That is exactly what I said yeah. I said nothing about scoring goals, I'm talking about missing chances. And he doesn't have enough to his game to even compare him to the likes of Bergkamp and RvP, so if he's not regularly scoring goals he's not bringing enough to the team. The fact people are even talking about him like he's a main striker shows how far we have fallen. Compare him to some of the previous strikers under Wenger. I'm talking the likes of Henry, Bergkamp, Anelka, Adebayor, Wright, Wiltord and RvP.

Look, when he wants to he can hold the ball up well, his movement is good and his first time lay offs are probably the best aspect to his game. However there's the other side to him which sees him miss a load of chances and he's very inconsistent in terms of his work rate and touch. He also spends far too much of his time on the floor or with his hands in the air. There's far too much of the other side to him to make him a viable first team player. He's a squad player, nothing more.

Ok, well he's better then Wiltord, Adebayor and Anelka. The fact is every striker we've ever had has struggled in their first season at the club. The fact that you're so willing to dismiss him based upon the fact he misses chances is a joke. Scoring goals is one aspect of the game, not every aspect and as an all round player he brings more to the team. I think you're very narrow minded and you're using Giroud as a scapegoat for what you perceive as failings on the Clubs' behalf.

Ok, well he's better then Wiltord, Adebayor and Anelka. The fact is every striker we've ever had has struggled in their first season at the club. The fact that you're so willing to dismiss him based upon the fact he misses chances is a joke. Scoring goals is one aspect of the game, not every aspect and as an all round player he brings more to the team. I think you're very narrow minded and you're using Giroud as a scapegoat for what you perceive as failings on the Clubs' behalf.

I can just about accept Adebayor, but the other two? No chance. Absolutely no chance. And nice try, but I'm not, I blame a lot of people for our demise. I don't blame Giroud, just don't think he's good enough. Again, where are you getting goal scoring from? I've named other things apart from his goal scoring.

We're going to have to agree to disagree on that one. As an all-round striker he's better then those three. Absolutely there's parts of his game that need to be refined, especially his touch. I'm not going to try and deny that. But he is a great focal point for our attack, and leads the line very well. Should he be our only option? No. But we are a better team with him in it then without him. Calling him average is very short sighted.

We're going to have to agree to disagree on that one. As an all-round striker he's better then those three. Absolutely there's parts of his game that need to be refined, especially his touch. I'm not going to try and deny that. But he is a great focal point for our attack, and leads the line very well. Should he be our only option? No. But we are a better team with him in it then without him. Calling him average is very short sighted.

I think you're forgetting how good Anelka was when he was with us. Giroud's contribution to the team is nowhere near as significant as Anelka's was.

Anelka is one of the best finishers I've ever seen tbh, and also a good all-round game (front free with Drogba and Malouda was epic when we won the Double) - massively stretching it to put Giroud (who I think has had a good season) above him.

He was with us for 2 seasons, and he wasn't all that. And for a great finisher, 204 goals in 643 games is hardly up there with the best goal records is it? Anelka was massively overrated by everyone he's ever played for. Why do you think he's bounced around so many clubs? Everyone thinks he's good, but he's not really.

I remember people giving Drogba so much **** in his first year. He turned alright I think. What about Song? Everyone thought we should get rid of him as well.

Giroud is having his first year in a new club and country. I think he can still improve.

Nobody is running around saying Giroud will be the next Henry or even Drogba, that he'll be our 30+ goals striker for the next 5 years, as we tear apart Europe. Every one here that I can think of all say that we need a new striker, and one preferable better than Giroud. A proper world class striker.

However, we can also appreciate what he brings to the team, the fact that he's new, and the possibility that he can sitll improve leaps and bounds.

He was with us for 2 seasons, and he wasn't all that. And for a great finisher, 204 goals in 643 games is hardly up there with the best goal records is it? Anelka was massively overrated by everyone he's ever played for. Why do you think he's bounced around so many clubs? Everyone thinks he's good, but he's not really.

:D :D :D

Amazing. First season at the club as a 18 year old saw him force the legendary Ian Wright out of the side as he scored important league goals and a goal in the FA Cup Final to secure the double. Second season saw him get voted YPOTY. Yeah, Giroud miles better.

Why do you think he's bounced around so many clubs?

I always thought it was because his brothers acted as his agents and were always in his ear about getting a move so they could get rich off him.

I think I would too, but 07 Adebayor was probably playing beyond his ability if you see what I mean, it wasn't a sustainable level of performance, which is shown by the fact that he hasn't had as good a season before or since, whereas I think Giroud will at least match and probably better his level of performance from this season over the next few years, which is why I'd rather have Giroud.

Archived