Senegal's Arsenal Thread 2012/2013 : featuring positive negativity

Retro

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm still confused as to what Piers Morgan/Sy etc expect the club to do. Are they expecting us to build a squad good enough to win the league/CL despite the club having less draw power than at least 8* other teams in Europe due to obvious financial/reputation reasons?

* - just incase this is brought up, not particularly in order - Barcelona, Real Madrid, Man City, Chelsea, Man United - then I'd say at least a couple of: Juve, Inter Milan, AC Milan, PSG and Bayern Munich.

I think what gets to them is that we HAD the draw power, we were the invincibles ffs, we threw it away. The bit that really gets to me is seeing the board at the end of the last title season justifying the stadium by saying it would generate more money to compete in the transfer market with the big guns where so far it seems to be the exact opposite.

I think what gets to them is that we HAD the draw power, we were the invincibles ffs, we threw it away. The bit that really gets to me is seeing the board at the end of the last title season justifying the stadium by saying it would generate more money to compete in the transfer market with the big guns where so far it seems to be the exact opposite.

Even then we were never competing for the very best players though. We bought players early in their careers and they developed into world stars at the club. That didn't matter so much because no-one else in England was buying those sorts of players either.

What changed things was the financial muscle of Chelsea and now City. They started buying big names and inflated wages as a corollary, which meant that we couldn't even keep hold of the players we'd developed. United found a way to compete with that; we haven't yet.

I suspect that without the income from the stadium we'd be in an even worse position, even when offset with the loans we took out to fund it.

I think a lot of it was down to bad luck/small mistakes though. When planning the stadium they never would've foreseen the wealth Chelsea (and later Man City) would gain through foreign owners. Then you've got the 05/06 CL final, if things had gone different that night and we'd have won it, players like Pires, Cole, Henry and even guys like Flamini and Hleb may not have left in the years after and we could've bought in more high profile/expensive players than we did.

The biggest mistake the club made was not building from a position of strength after the unbeaten season, you could put that down to the stadium being developed but the team did kinda stand still for a couple of years and the big players from that era seem to all get old at the same time. 2 years later and Vieira, Cole, Pires, Campbell, Ljungberg and Henry (didn't leave until a year alter but he hardly played in 2006/2007) were all gone and we have been playing catch up ever since. Replacing 6 players from a championship team was too much to do

Villa may be 2 years older but he's probably the best finisher in europe disregarding Messi & Ronaldo and also probably out of our league.

Just something that crossed my mind though is Wenger really needs to think long and hard before choosing his next captain, he likes to pick the loyal ones!

Clint Dempsey linked with us again tonight. £7 million's been mentioned.

I'd take him, as long as he's that versatile, experienced squad player. In my opinion, he isn't good enough to earn himself a immediate first-team position, but if he comes in to fill the void left by Yossi Benayoun, i'd be happy. Can I see Arsène spend £7-8 million on a squad player? No, I can't.

Time will tell with this transfer, I can see it happening though.

dempsey would be a good buy i think. He can bring a lot to the table.

Wenger's best buys tend to be the "mid-range' buys anyway. Players like Kos, Arteta, and Sagna.

dempsey would be a good buy i think. He can bring a lot to the table.

Wenger's best buys tend to be the "mid-range' buys anyway. Players like Kos, Arteta, and Sagna.

Agreed. Most people are bemoaning Clint Dempsey, but the same people wrote-off Yossi Benayoun last Summer too. If Dempsey is our Benayoun next season, I'll be happy.

He's nowhere near as good as he thinks he is and he's a whole lot better than people think he is.

He's a decent centre forward. Needs to accept his limitations and stay in the middle. Will score goals given a run of games.

I always find it amusing how football fans pick and choose when loyalty comes into play.

Players are given contracts and if good players want to leave before their contract expires then they’re being disloyal, but if a player is deemed not good enough and the team want to sell him on then there’s no mention of the club being disloyal. The same people who are frothing at the mouth over Van Persie potentially leaving are the ones frothing at the mouth to get rid of Chamakh, Djourou etc. Why not honour their contracts?

Fans also seem to want everything their own way when players leave the club. If a player signs a 5 year contract then decides to leave at the end of his 5 years then he’s being disloyal for not leaving earlier and allowing the club to make a bigger cash-in. If he’s signed a contract and fulfilled it, then what’s the problem?

It's one of the things I always mention. First and foremost players need to take care of themselves. Like a young player who is on the fringes of the first team asking for x cash and fans are up in arms. Well, the club are wanting to tie him to a 4 year deal at a lower rate, of course he wants to take care of himself.

Absolute loyalty is expected of players until fans and of clubs want to get rid of them as quickly as possible and then the player's life if completely changed and he has to move area of country sometimes. Who cares, he served us well but we got this guy in instead.

I don't begrudge players getting the best deal out there it's just the money being talked about for players in football that's insane and makes it seem worse

I'm with bigwig and razzler on this issue by the way, this is not a dig at Arsenal fans but a general comment on the hypocrisy of football fans. I was probably one of the only fans to defend Berbatov to a large extent on how he left us- had plenty of debates with my Spurs mates about it!

Got to remember though that most football fans are fairly stupid when it comes to defending their own club, etc.

I'm with bigwig and razzler on this issue by the way, this is not a dig at Arsenal fans but a general comment on the hypocrisy of football fans. I was probably one of the only fans to defend Berbatov to a large extent on how he left us- had plenty of debates with my Spurs mates about it!

RVP hasn't refused to play for the club though has he?

Ok let me rephrase that

We dont need a centre back like Vert because he's never coming to Arsenal knowing he's going to be potentially fourth choice. And we're never spending £10m on a fourth choice defender. Because normal clubs dont.

FFS. Really?

Ok, let's rely on JD again when injuries and suspensions crop up. :rolleyes:

We DO need a CB and then we need to sell JD.

We can't replace JD with Vert for the same reason we can't replace Fabianski with Lloris. It is also for the same reason Man Utd doesn't replace Evans with Subotic.

Vertonghen and Subotic may play for a smaller club than Arsenal and Man Utd respectively, but they are the key players of their club. In Vert case, he is also the captain. When you're in that kind of position, you don't settle for a bit-part role when you make your big move, especially as you're about to hit your peak. Wenger can't promise Vert that he will be starting games, when Kos, Verm, and Mert are around. Especially since Central defense is a position with relatively few rotation, unless there is injury. Man Utd had to let go of Pique, for example.

Nobody is saying JD is a great defender. However, how many great defenders would settle for starting off as 4th choice CB, and working their way up? For a 4th choice, he's not a bad player. Do you remember that Pascal Cygan is an Invincible?

Also, one more thing to consider. Since we'll be getting rid of many youth products, such as Denilson, Vela, and Bendtner, we need to keep some homegrown players. JD fits that criteria as well.

Back from my jollies now to find a nice new thread and a fresh start for the club with things looking bright after signing Giroud while I was away only to come back to same old same old :(

I still think there a glimmer of hope RvP will stay actually I don't think anyone will pay what we want and he will do a u-turn! And us fans will forgive him of course :D

Turns out you can polish a turd. :thup:

Oh and all this paranoia that Walcott will 'do an RVP' and leave, who exactly would take him where he could improve his trophy winning prospects? Cant see him stepping up beyond Arsenal, even with you he doesnt start every week.

Turns out you can polish a turd. :thup:

Oh and all this paranoia that Walcott will 'do an RVP' and leave, who exactly would take him where he could improve his trophy winning prospects? Cant see him stepping up beyond Arsenal, even with you he doesnt start every week.

When fit he starts most games as this has been his first largely injury free season. So your statement has been proven false

2011/12 41 starts 5 sub apps

Archived