Senegal's Arsenal Thread 2012/2013 : featuring positive negativity

Retro

yes, lewandowski's going to leave the very exciting project at dortmund to join arsenal to fight it out for 4th place with the rest of us chumps with the crazy £££ clubs ahead of us going for the titles instead

football sucks pal, time to wise up

He should cost like 30-40 mil. Can't see Arsenal doing that.

Kawee is spot on. RvP has screwed over the club big time.

Honestly hope his career ****s up massively now. Nice long injury please.

Dude, like ... ? You're talking like a frustrated 10 year old who isn't getting dessert after dinner. Damn.

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • SI Staff

For me Vermaelen is easily the best leader in the camp (even with vP there) whether he is in the first eleven aside (I think he should be)

Personally I wonder if RvP going is really a bad thing for Arsenal, I've never liked the idea of a club having one player much more important than the rest, and let's face it, good as he is RvP is not Henry. Podolski is a good player, Giroud seems a good fit for the Premier League, the saviour of the English national team is coming back from injury, Ramsey is going to the Olympics (so will probably miss the start of the season for Arsenal), the Ox will be chomping at the bit after Euro 2012. Why all the doom and gloom?

lewandowski £30-40million!

they just sold kagawa for something like £10-15million and he was without doubt one of their biggest stars

A bit different to Lewandowski - Kagawa had one year left on his contract and said he wouldn't sign a new one.

Hmmmmm, now where've I heard that before this evening?

Club is dead. We can't keep hold of our best players and we will give the captaincy to a guy who shouldn't be starting for Arsenal. Joy of joys.

And people talking about Robin replacements :D Giroud is the replacement.

At last someone is starting to see what I saw years ago. The ambition of the club really is dead, I said before AFc will not win another EPL, FA cup or the first CL trophy as long as Wenger and Gazidis remain. It will not happen. Ever.

Cancer spreads and then it kills. Cut it out before we become the new Liverpool.

i don't get arsenal fans' ott love-in with vermaelen? He's not even that good (in fact he's often a huge liabilty), and i don't see him as some great, respected personality? Wagwan?

#artetaforcaptain begins now.

he scores goals!!!!

At last someone is starting to see what I saw years ago. The ambition of the club really is dead, I said before AFc will not win another EPL, FA cup or the first CL trophy as long as Wenger and Gazidis remain. It will not happen. Ever.

Cancer spreads and then it kills. Cut it out before we become the new Liverpool.

Just because you mistake good management and living within your means as lack of ambition, doesn't make it fact. Football has changed, you may want to risk your club's future for a Leeds style glory rush, I doubt most Arsenal fans share that sentiment.

A bit different to Lewandowski - Kagawa had one year left on his contract and said he wouldn't sign a new one.

Hmmmmm, now where've I heard that before this evening?

my bad then, never knew that was the full situation, surely lewandowski still wouldn't be £30-40million though? they're hardly a powerhouse yet who can afford to turn down a good bid

maybe around the £20million mark? either way he's out of limits so irrelevant really

"Meanwhile, Mark Gonnella, the club’s Director of Communications, has denied that Ivan Gazidis is away on two weeks holiday, saying, “Ivan is not on a two week holiday. Such things do not exist for Chief Executives at football clubs or anywhere else.”"

Interesting one

Arteta for captain??? Not in my opinion. He a good player and a good pro, but we need to give it to a younger player whos gonna be at Arsenal for a while and reinstate a proper captain to this team that isn't gonna change within two seasons. We haven't had one since Vieira. Its ridiculous. BRING BACK PROPER CAPTAINS!!!!!!

Arteta for captain??? Not in my opinion. He a good player and a good pro, but we need to give it to a younger player whos gonna be at Arsenal for a while and reinstate a proper captain to this team that isn't gonna change within two seasons. We haven't had one since Vieira. Its ridiculous. BRING BACK PROPER CAPTAINS!!!!!!

Give it to someone who has everyone's respect and is a top class pro before Wilshere is ready to have it.

there's a middle ground between loving a player and calling him one of the club's most hated players you absolute moron. i literally cannot believe the way some of you are acting after this announcement. it's as if you simply will not allow any of your players from moving on without backlash. i even saw someone complaining about fabregas earlier ffs. there's not much even wrong with what he's done.

So you would like to let him rot and leave for free rather than sell him for say £30m which you could invest in the team :confused:

He has a year left on his contract and publically wants out. Someone will bid about £11m and RvP will sulk until we agree to sell.

there's a middle ground between loving a player and calling him one of the club's most hated players you absolute moron. i literally cannot believe the way some of you are acting after this announcement. it's as if you simply will not allow any of your players from moving on without backlash. i even saw someone complaining about fabregas earlier ffs. there's not much even wrong with what he's done.

Erm.... WHAT? If you find one post of me slamming Cesc then I'll take it all back. I'm usually fine with players leaving but RvP has screwed the club over and lied. When he returns to Arsenal with City he will get booed more than Adebayor and Nasri put together.

And the fact you dont think he's done much wrong shows how little you know about the situation. He's acted terribly.

A guy that we have stuck by over seven years of bad injuries, disciplinary problems and even a rape allegation pays us back by giving us one injury free season and a transfer request. It's disgraceful behaviour.

Erm.... WHAT? If you find one post of me slamming Cesc then I'll take it all back. I'm usually fine with players leaving but RvP has screwed the club over and lied. When he returns to Arsenal with City he will get booed more than Adebayor and Nasri put together.

And the fact you dont think he's done much wrong shows how little you know about the situation. He's acted terribly.

Agreed - was there a need to come out publically? He could have either signed a deal or behind closed doors sorted a move away.

i never said you slammed fabregas. i said that i saw someone possibly pointing out some ill deeds on his part during the transfer saga last summer. it seems as though most transfers involving arsenal also involve some degree of tears and bitterness from the arsenal fans. it's happened with nasri, adebayor, and now evidently van persie. please, explain to me how he's screwed the club over. arsenal will still easily get +20m for him, assuming they decide to sell, and i would imagine most fans can understand his reasons for wanting to leave.

edit:

A guy that we have stuck by over seven years of bad injuries, disciplinary problems and even a rape allegation pays us back by giving us one injury free season and a transfer request. It's disgraceful behaviour.

oh christ lol i give up. this is genuinely hilarious. even if this wasn't ludicrous in every way, i think that he would have repaid any 'debts' he might have owed the club by single-handedly delivering champion's league qualification to arsenal fc last season

This sums it up for me.

I would understand his reasons for leaving if he y'know told the truth about leaving? Not a load of rubbish about ambition and criticising the manager and the club at the same time.

I also really want to know what was wrong with what I said. Because LOLing and saying I give up just doesnt cut it.

i never said you slammed fabregas. i said that i saw someone possibly pointing out some ill deeds on his part during the transfer saga last summer. it seems as though most transfers involving arsenal also involve some degree of tears and bitterness from the arsenal fans. it's happened with nasri, adebayor, and now evidently van persie. please, explain to me how he's screwed the club over. arsenal will still easily get +20m for him, assuming they decide to sell, and i would imagine most fans can understand his reasons for wanting to leave.

We wont get £20m+ for him in his last year of his contract and wanting to leave. Can you also not spot the theme with these players, Nasri, Adebayor, Cole now RvP showed no respect to the club when they left and were activly and publically trying to leave the club. Pretending it was for anything other than money and having a pop at the club while they did it

Kolo left purely for more money and was given a standing ovation when he returned, Henry buggered off and is still everyones hero. Theres no real bad feelings towards Cesc either. Simply becaus eof the way the players conducted themselves.

With Cesc it was Barca and the Barca players role in the transfer that annoyed everyone more than Cesc himself.

Yeah. Plus Adebayor spent ages flirting with other clubs, calling AC Milan Beyonce. Nasri also acted terribly. Reasons to be annoyed with all those transfers.

Funny how ilikeabawss hasnt mentioned the plethora of players that have left that Arsenal fans havent taken issue with. Namely the likes of Henry, Vieira, Clichy and Toure. Hell if Cesc returns with Barcelona he'd get a great reception. Clichy and Toure got cheers too as the fans respected the way they conducted themselves and with the way that they left.

I would understand his reasons for leaving if he y'know told the truth about leaving? Not a load of rubbish about ambition and criticising the manager and the club at the same time.

I also really want to know what was wrong with what I said. Because LOLing and saying I give up just doesnt cut it.

copy/pasted from another forum:

Does he really "owe" the club that much? 194 appearances, 96 goals in the league. 279/132 in all competitions. 6 of his 8 seasons here have involved more than 30 appearances in all competitions. 4 years as our top scorer, 2 as our player of the season, and he cost us 2.75 million. And has never been paid a comparatively obscene amount. In fact, compared to the "star" of any other top 4/5 team he has been underpaid most of his career.

you didn't really stick by him because you had faith in him/it was the right thing to do/etc. he scored when he was available, and so he kept on getting contract renewals.

and i thought his reason for wanting to leave was quite clear? he wants trophies, and he doesn't think he can achieve them at arsenal? maybe? yes???

Funny how ilikeabawss hasnt mentioned the plethora of players that have left that Arsenal fans havent taken issue with. Namely the likes of Henry, Vieira, Clichy and Toure. Hell if Cesc returns with Barcelona he'd get a great reception. Clichy and Toure got cheers too as the fans respected the way they conducted themselves and with the way that they left.

welp, henry is a legend, as is vieira, clichy sucked, and i don't really know enough about the toure transfer to talk about them. i really don't get how van persie has conducted himself in such a manner to incur the wrath of the arsenal fans to this degree. i just don't see it.

Oh dear aj, rape allegations really? Try to keep some perspective.

Nah, I think its fine to bring that up. Was part of those early problems we had with him.

Have you read RvPs statement ilikeabawss? Because he questions the ambition of the club just weeks after we sign two international forwards. He openly criticises the manager and the club. This is unacceptable especially when you consider what Wenger especially has done for him.

I'd have so much more respect for him if he come out and said 'you know what? I'm leaving because I want more money and play with better players.' Not some guff about direction the club is heading and how much he loves and respects the club. Because if you loved and respected something that much you wouldnt come out and treat it like ****.

And finally I'd also have more respect for RvP if he went abroad and not to Manchester City considering the amount of times he's said that he couldn't play for another Premier League team.

Nah, I think its fine to bring that up. Was part of those early problems we had with him.

Have you read RvPs statement ilikeabawss? Because he questions the ambition of the club just weeks after we sign two international forwards. He openly criticises the manager and the club. This is unacceptable especially when you consider what Wenger especially has done for him.

I'd have so much more respect for him if he come out and said 'you know what? I'm leaving because I want more money and play with better players.' Not some guff about direction the club is heading and how much he loves and respects the club. Because if you loved and respected something that much you wouldnt come out and treat it like ****.

And finally I'd also have more respect for RvP if he went abroad and not to Manchester City considering the amount of times he's said that he couldn't play for another Premier League team.

i feel like you're making judgments about him before anything actually happens and without full knowledge of the situation. are you really that certain that he's moving to city? juve's still a valid destination, as are some other clubs. additionally, you're not fully aware of what goes on during wenger's private chats down by the fire with van persie. for all we know, arsenal's spending could be limited to just giroud/podolski. arsenal may even be planning to spend more, but it just isn't enough for him and i don't really think you can fault him for that.

and your declarations that he has treated the club like **** are ridiculous. i mean, you're really enraged over this. again, i wonder how much of this rage is over assumptions and predictions rather than things that have already happened. he's treated the club pretty well from what i can see over the past few seasons by being quiet and scoring. these recent statements by him are not treating the club like **** either. i think you just need to accept the fact that he wants to leave mate. it's over. done. :( :( :(

Nasri isnt 29. We will get £20m at the most if there is a bidding war.

van persie is better than nasri.

i feel like you're making judgments about him before anything actually happens and without full knowledge of the situation. are you really that certain that he's moving to city? juve's still a valid destination, as are some other clubs. additionally, you're not fully aware of what goes on during wenger's private chats down by the fire with van persie. for all we know, arsenal's spending could be limited to just giroud/podolski. arsenal may even be planning to spend more, but it just isn't enough for him and i don't really think you can fault him for that.

and your declarations that he has treated the club like **** are ridiculous. i mean, you're really enraged over this. again, i wonder how much of this rage is over assumptions and predictions rather than things that have already happened. he's treated the club pretty well from what i can see over the past few seasons by being quiet and scoring. these recent statements by him are not treating the club like **** either. i think you just need to accept the fact that he wants to leave mate. it's over. done. :( :( :(

The Arsenal dont wash their dirty laundry in public - RvP has decided to do this and take a few cheap shots while he does so. Thats not having respect to the club or The Arsenal way of doing things.

I think you're getting into the trap of thinking I'm angry at RvP for leaving. I'm not, I'm angry at the way he's leaving. There's the difference. And he's definitely going to Manchester City, the deal was done between the player and the club ages ago.

And you're right I don't know what went on during that telephone call. But that still doesn't give RvP the right to openly criticise the club.

Another Arsenal player will leave over the next few weeks and it's a player I have a lot of time for in Theo Walcott. I will be disappointed if he goes but I wont be angry at him because he will leave with a touch of class and with respect for Wenger and the club.

Yes I know that, but there's a thing called a resale value that clubs consider when buying a player. RvP at 29 does not have a resale value at all. This lowers the price by a considerable amount.

alright, please point me in the direction of some other statements because all this and it doesn't seem very disrespectful at all! he says that he disagrees with wenger on how arsenal should progress. that's not very malicious. and if it's something else, it must be even more tame than that, in my eyes at least, as i didn't see it fit for mention. i'm genuinely curious if there's something else he's said.

I think you're getting into the trap of thinking I'm angry at RvP for leaving. I'm not, I'm angry at the way he's leaving. There's the difference. And he's definitely going to Manchester City, the deal was done between the player and the club ages ago.

do i have the right to quote this if he doesn't?

And you're right I don't know what went on during that telephone call. But that still doesn't give RvP the right to openly criticise the club.

again, a link to what he's said because i'm perplexed atm.

Yes I know that, but there's a thing called a resale value that clubs consider when buying a player. RvP at 29 does not have a resale value at all. This lowers the price by a considerable amount.

well let's combine that with the fact that he's a much better player than nasri and has just come off the best season of his career. it's always difficult to determine transfer value, but i would imagine that, resale value and ability considered, it would be around 20m.

May as well state my Spurs allegiance but also that I come in piece, i'd hope you all know that by now!

To me this all seems very strange. RVP is many things but he isnt stupid. I always assumed he had that chat in May, it was clear he wanted to leave and have a real shot at winning a league or CL (lets be honest, AFC arent likely to do that in the next couple of years given the money City, CFC and UTD have) but agreed that he would stay quiet and let you guys go out and sign some replacements at lower costs before it was common knowledge he would move on.

That all seemed to go fine, but something MUST have happened behind the scene for him to release this statement. Its just in such poor taste, I cant believe as the captain and such that he would circumvent the clubs PR team to do what he's done. Maybe he came back from the Euros and was told he wouldnt be sold? Wenger came out yesterday iirc and said he would be keeping him and maybe that has forced his hand? It all seems very strange.

Id be raging if I was one of you lot of course, but I just cant fathom that RVP would disrespect you as fans, or Wenger (who he seems to really admire) with such an outlandish statement without something really odd happening behind the scenes.

Archived