Senegal's Arsenal Thread 2012/2013 : featuring positive negativity

Retro

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not surprised or that upset. He is a great player but he has a terrible record for injuries so if we were ever to sell this is the time. He played just 111 games in the 7 years before this season. We are better off not being dependent on one player anyway.

Other points are who becomes vice captain if TV becomes captain? for me it should be Arteta. I am curious about whether we will look to replace? Also considering his close relationship with Theo does that mean he will be off also?

who actually suspected he was going to stay? there's not much arsenal could do to prevent him wanting to leave, they've shown they're looking to buy this summer so i'm actually quite pleased atm

Other than buying good player within our financial remit there was not much else we could do. We offered him a very generous contract as well but we can't offer him a deal like City can

The last line about Gazidis being on a two week holiday is strangely worded.

As if to suggest RvP is putting some blame on him, or at least getting the fans to turn on Gazidis.

The whole thing is very carefully worded to try and force himself out but also to remove the blame from him

The thing is we won't sign anyone big, once again. I'm not normally one to rant about about 'we need to spend 50 million' and all that but sod it!!! We've just lost our very best player we need a big replacement. As far as the captaincy goes, for the first time in a long time its time to give it to a someone whos gonna stick around for a while and not just our best player.

So another Arsenal player is left to have his contract run down to the last year, leaving Arsenal with letting him go on a free next season, or sell him cheaper than expected this summer.

Genius contract handling.

Or conversely he could have rejected our advances before for a new contract or possibly we chose not to offer him or Theo one due to their injury records

The thing is we won't sign anyone big, once again. I'm not normally one to rant about about 'we need to spend 50 million' and all that but sod it!!! We've just lost our very best player we need a big replacement. As far as the captaincy goes, for the first time in a long time its time to give it to a someone whos gonna stick around for a while and not just our best player.

1) We don't want to rely on one player again as it can lead to complacency from other players

2) We can't offer big wages thus we can be out bid by City etc

3) Captaincy has to go to someone who can command respect that quite often is one of the best players

Or conversely he could have rejected our advances before for a new contract or possibly we chose not to offer him or Theo one due to their injury records

It's still borderline insane/maximum stupidity to even let it get to this stage. It is still Van Persie and Walcott. Even once is bad enough, but the fact you have history for it makes it worse. Whoever negotiates contracts at your clubs needs his torn up.

1) We don't want to rely on one player again as it can lead to complacency from other players

2) We can't offer big wages thus we can be out bid by City etc

3) Captaincy has to go to someone who can command respect that quite often is one of the best players

If we get 20 million+ (whatever it is) it Must be put back into the squad. There are other players who could do the captaincy job who are respected. One of the Centre backs or maybe even Wilshere, might be a bit early for him, but a proper captain's position.

It's still borderline insane/maximum stupidity to even let it get to this stage. It is still Van Persie and Walcott. Even once is bad enough, but the fact you have history for it makes it worse. Whoever negotiates contracts at your clubs needs his torn up.

It depends upon which scenario is true. If it is the latter they have made a decision I disagree with particularly for RVP, if it is the former what could they do? Sell early and we wouldn't get as much for RVP then as we can now due to this being his best season by far.

If we were ever to sell RVP during his time at the club this is the point at which we will get the highest amount for him.

Walcott is another issue. I agree the whole contract situation is nuts at the club but I have a bigger gripe with the way the wages are structured.

Pretty gutted obviously about this. Part of me feels that one big season does not maketh the man after 7 years out injured and he should have signed on ages ago for that reason. It's the way it is now though and this comes as no great surprise at all: I'm glad we know this now, I'm glad there's been no repeat of last summer's chaos and we can now prepare properly with one of Germany's most prolific strikers and the most prolific striker in France ready to replace van Persie.

It's disappointing that he's leaving, but I think Wenger and the club have done all they can to keep him with us and simultaneously prepare for life without him.

That's it, Gazidis is dead to me. Get Dein back NOW.

RVP get play with the traffic too. We've stuck by him for 7 crap seasons and after one decent effort he wants out. Footballers are mercenaries.

If we get 20 million+ (whatever it is) it Must be put back into the squad. There are other players who could do the captaincy job who are respected. One of the Centre backs or maybe even Wilshere, might be a bit early for him, but a proper captain's position.

I agree has to go back in the squad. RVP has been a better captain than either Gallas or Cesc and they played in 'proper captain positions'.

I really don't know where he will go, can't see him at Man city. I will be amazed if he goes there. Any ideas?

he'll be at City I expect. They have widely expressed an interest anyway.

That's it, Gazidis is dead to me. Get Dein back NOW.

RVP get play with the traffic too. We've stuck by him for 7 crap seasons and after one decent effort he wants out. Footballers are mercenaries.

Not sure what new has come out which makes Gazidis suddenly more inept than before.

I'd rather a team of inferior Carl Jenkinson's - who would bleed and truly love Arsenal Football Club - than a team full of World-Class players - players who'll leave the club at the first sight of money.

Yeah what a mercenary, he was only at the club what..18 months before using you as a stepping stone. /rollseyesrightoutofskull

Walcott will go too and they are both devastating on their day.

Letting quality players run contracts down to one year wouldn't happen with Dein. Ever. Gazidis is a clown and needs to be shown the door. He is NOT fit for purpose.

Strong emphasis needs to be put on the comment that rvp couldn't agree with the direction the club is going and the fact he wants to win trophies. Does this suggest that club is not going to invest any more or have only set goals for top 4 finish? Its very confusing and im sure we'll all be left in the dark about this. Ithas to be said though that a number of players have now left the club over the last few years stating similar thing to rvp!

I agree has to go back in the squad. RVP has been a better captain than either Gallas or Cesc and they played in 'proper captain positions'.

Thats true he has been better than them. Ok, they were the more conventional positions, but Gallas was only at the club a year or so before he got the position and Cesc was obviously given it to try to keep him at the club, none should really have been given it. Vermaelen is the obvious choice.

I'd rather a team of inferior Carl Jenkinson's - who would bleed and truly love Arsenal Football Club - than a team full of World-Class players - players who'll leave the club at the first sight of money.

You think it's about money, and not the fact that he' 28 and hasn't won a trophy for seven years? Really?

Walcott will go too and they are both devastating on their day.

Letting quality players run contracts down to one year wouldn't happen with Dein. Ever. Gazidis is a clown and needs to be shown the door. He is NOT fit for purpose.

We knew their contracts didn't have long to go before this so what new has come out which has made Gazidis 'dead' to you?

Strong emphasis needs to be put on the comment that rvp couldn't agree with the direction the club is going and the fact he wants to win trophies. Does this suggest that club is not going to invest any more or have only set goals for top 4 finish? Its very confusing and im sure we'll all be left in the dark about this. Ithas to be said though that a number of players have now left the club over the last few years stating similar thing to rvp!

I think it would be absurd to suggest that the club doesn't want to win trophies however it is also true that financially we can't compete with City, Man u and Chelsea and thus they can buy better players than us, this is forgetting that clubs abroad can beat us to players also through superior finances. This means we can't compete for the best players like before. Therefore top 4 is a much more realistic objective.

Also it is an easy way to cover up that they are leaving for money the whole trophies and ambition thing. It doesn't spoil the players reputation.

Thats true he has been better than them. Ok, they were the more conventional positions, but Gallas was only at the club a year or so before he got the position and Cesc was obviously given it to try to keep him at the club, none should really have been given it. Vermaelen is the obvious choice.

I don't believe in certain positions being better. TV should get it as he is vice captain.

Disappointing obviously, but I'm sure the club have some sort of contingency plan for this situation. Not sure how to feel about RVP at this point, without him we would never have got 3rd last season and he has scored many important goals in past seasons too, but his disloyalty at this point is obviously a let down.

Giroud and Podolski go some way to replacing him, but I was expecting them to have replaced players like Park, Chamakh, Vela and Bendtner. With Vela and Bendtner certainties to leave, we'll definitely need some more firepower up front, this is if he leaves this summer.

I'd hope we could get £20m+, but I hope he has the respect to not join Man City, otherwise he'll fall into the same category as Nasri and will be hated.

I can't see him staying on now. It's similar to the Adebayor situation I recall. He declared he wanted out, played the first few games of the season for us, and then went to City after being booed during the first couple of games. The only way I'd be happy with him going to City is if we get Dzeko in return.

Not surprised or that upset. He is a great player but he has a terrible record for injuries so if we were ever to sell this is the time. He played just 111 games in the 7 years before this season. We are better off not being dependent on one player anyway.

Other points are who becomes vice captain if TV becomes captain? for me it should be Arteta. I am curious about whether we will look to replace? Also considering his close relationship with Theo does that mean he will be off also?

231 games according to wiki, nowhere near what you are saying. Even if you were referring to just league games, 156 games- still much more than you said.

231 games according to wiki, nowhere near what you are saying. Even if you were referring to just league games, 156 games- still much more than you said.

I was just quoting what some journalist put on twitter.

It's similar to the Adebayor situation I recall. He declared he wanted out, played the first few games of the season for us, and then went to City after being booed during the first couple of games. The only way I'd be happy with him going to City is if we get Dzeko in return.

Adebayor left before the start of the season. He scored two on the opening day in a 2-0 City win at Blackburn.

The stat which he is misquoting is something like this, actually:

"Before making 38 league starts last season, Van Persie had only made 111 starts in the previous 7 seasons"

Not total games, not even total league games he featured in, just league starts

The stat which he is misquoting is something like this, actually:

"Before making 38 league starts last season, Van Persie had only made 111 starts in the previous 7 seasons"

Not total games, not even total league games he featured in, just league starts

Serves me right for skimping it; anyway he didn't make 38 league starts last season.

The club have released a statement:

"

We have to respect Robin's decision not to renew his contract. Robin has one year to run on his current contract and we are confident that he will fulfil his commitments to the Club.

"We are planning with ambition and confidence for next season with Arsenal's best interests in mind."

Sounds like they plan to hold him to the last year, or at least push him into formally requesting a transfer.

Looks as if the club didn't know anything about it either. The statement itself seems rather rushed.

If RVP has gone behind the club's back and announced this without permission of the club, that's unacceptable.

Not really; he is well within his rights to announce this. He is playing games with them to force himself out

Have been expecting him to leave for a while, if he was gonna stay he wouldn't have dragged it out so long.

That being said, I'm very disappointed in the wording of his statement, he always came across as a very classy person and I was hoping he'd leave on good terms like Cesc, but trying to shift the blame and have a dig at Wenger/the club is in poor taste and a bit uncharacteristic compared to what he normally says to the press. If it's true and the club had no idea about his statement it's especially bad too. Disappointing.

Have been expecting him to leave for a while, if he was gonna stay he wouldn't have dragged it out so long.

That being said, I'm very disappointed in the wording of his statement, he always came across as a very classy person and I was hoping he'd leave on good terms like Cesc, but trying to shift the blame and have a dig at Wenger/the club is in poor taste and a bit uncharacteristic compared to what he normally says to the press. If it's true and the club had no idea about his statement it's especially bad too. Disappointing.

Cesc didn't leave on great terms he held the club at ransom until they accepted a bid from Barca. He was less open though.

We should sell quickly and move on.

So, will RvP stay and fulfill his contract (and thus leave for nothing) or will he demand a move or will Wenger sell him and get some €'s for him.

What is the general opinion among Arsenal fans?

Archived