Senegal's Arsenal Thread 2012/2013 : featuring positive negativity

Retro

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to Jamie Sanderson (@YoungGunsBlog) and Matt Spiro, we've cooled our interest in Yann M'Vila due to his behavioral issues.

We've cooled our interest now, apparently, because of his involvement in the criticism over JP Bernès' influence on Laurent Blanc's team selection. M'Vila could be banned by the French Football Federation because of it. Hard to believe, in my opinion. Although, YouAreMyArsenal seem to think that a failure to settle on a fee - which was agreed before the Euro's - is the reason behind a lack of movement with this deal.

• SI Staff

8 of which came with this defence:

Traore Kosicelny Djourou Jenkinson ( sent off )

General point: most the stupid goals came at the start of the season when we everyone was injured or suspended and before we signed Mertesacker.

We have TV and Kos and that's it. The rest are nowhere near good enough.

Arsenal let in 49 goals last season so I don't know what you're trying to prove.

So you think signing one good centre back would magically reduce our goals conceded by 20 ? I would like to live in your land of magic and fairies.

So you think signing one good centre back would magically reduce our goals conceded by 20 ? I would like to live in your land of magic and fairies.

Who said anything about 20 goals?

You'll also see I said we need a CB AND a DM to fix our defensive problems, not just a CB. So yes, if we had someone like Kompany for example AND a disciplined DM like N'Zonzi or Fellaini then yes, our goals-against column would be a lot lower in my opinion.

I have to agree with Sy on this one.

I don't think the problem with our defense is bad defenders. I think we've always had good defenders. I believe our defensive problems are systematic. We, as a team (not just the back 4) lack defensive awareness, discipline, organization, and most of the other good defensive habits one needs. For this, I blame the manager because that's his job.

However, I don't think Wenger will do anything about this. We've had many defenders down the years, but the same problem remains. I hope he does do something because defensively, IMHO, it is our single biggest problem. Especially with Bould coming in. However, since I don't think he will do anything about it, then the only way to improve our defense is to have players who defend better.

I believe our defensive problems are systematic. We, as a team (not just the back 4) lack defensive awareness, discipline, organization, and most of the other good defensive habits one needs. For this, I blame the manager because that's his job.

I completely agree. I've heard people complain about our defence a lot, but individually all the players are good. The problem is they do not defend as a unit, and the midfielders also are completely oblivious to their defensive responsibilities. The best chance we have of fixing this is getting a really commanding CB (modern Tony Adams) who'll half act as a defensive coach.

Because of his involvement in the JP Bernès debacle and what he said to the French journalists after France's quarter final loss to Spain. L'Équipe seem to think that the FFF will come down hard on Nasri. Quite rightly so, too.

Who is JP Bernès, Llew, and what's the story? You've mentioned him a couple of times and I've no idea what it's about.

Who is JP Bernès, Llew, and what's the story? You've mentioned him a couple of times and I've no idea what it's about.

He's a French football agent. He has a few clients who are now in the France squad, as well as Laurent Blanc himself. I think Phillipe Mexès and Adil Rami are clients of his. From what I've gathered, he's been 'influencing' Blanc in his management of the national team. Players weren't too keen on this idea, obviously - this is why Yann M'Vila, Hatem Ben Arfa and Jérémy Ménez all face bans from the FFF.

Bernès, as some on here may know, has a history. He served a jail sentence after he was involved in Marseille's match-fixing scandal. I think Arsène's actually said himself that if it wasn't for Bernès' actions, he would've won at least another French title while he was at AS Monaco. Boro Primorac, one of our coaches, was caught up in this somehow too. All in all, he's a 'baddie', so to speak :D

He's a French football agent. He has a few clients who are now in the France squad, as well as Laurent Blanc himself. I think Phillipe Mexès and Adil Rami are clients of his. From what I've gathered, he's been 'influencing' Blanc in his management of the national team. Players weren't too keen on this idea, obviously - this is why Yann M'Vila, Hatem Ben Arfa and Jérémy Ménez all face bans from the FFF.

Bernès, as some on here may know, has a history. He served a jail sentence after he was involved in Marseille's match-fixing scandal. I think Arsène's actually said himself that if it wasn't for Bernès' actions, he would've won at least another French title while he was at AS Monaco. Boro Primorac, one of our coaches, was caught up in this somehow too. All in all, he's a 'baddie', so to speak :D

Cheers Llew. Sounds like yet another mess. The French national team really needs to get its act together.

I definitely remember that comment from Wenger about Marseille. The only person I knew about connected with it was their then chairman, whose name temporarily escapes me. Bernard something?

There is a theory that Wenger doesn't like "big characters." People who question his authority, basically, which these theorists would say explain why M'Vila's attitude turns off Wenger.

I completely agree. I've heard people complain about our defence a lot, but individually all the players are good. The problem is they do not defend as a unit, and the midfielders also are completely oblivious to their defensive responsibilities. The best chance we have of fixing this is getting a really commanding CB (modern Tony Adams) who'll half act as a defensive coach.

Surely the coaching aspect is... you know, best done by a coach and not a player mid-match? :) We all know we have good defenders but their play together is pretty poor at times. I don't see how bringing another good defender would rectify this. I do see how appropriate coaching would.

Don't know if any of you have seen/heard it, but Benoit Assou-Ekotto and Kyle Walker have been named the Spuds' greatest ever full-backs... :D:D:D

Alban Bunjaku's completed his move to Sevilla too. Seemed to have talent, but his attitude let him down apparently. Failed to break into the reserve XI.

Well take Vermaelen, he's fabulously talented. All the physical attributes needed, great in the air and skilled enough on the ball for the modern game. The problem is he has **** for brains. He just goes off and does his own thing, no discipline. I don't know if a good defensive coach can fix this or if it's just so ingrained in him that the better option is selling him and bringing in someone else more consisent to partner Kos.

Surely the coaching aspect is... you know, best done by a coach and not a player mid-match? :) We all know we have good defenders but their play together is pretty poor at times. I don't see how bringing another good defender would rectify this. I do see how appropriate coaching would.

I think the theory goes like this:

1. Our defensive problems are fundamentally systematic

2. To solve this we need better defensive coaching

3. We don't think Wenger will give us better defensive coaching

4. Therefore we settle for next best, and hope for a commanding CB who can help improve our defensive organization

Well take Vermaelen, he's fabulously talented. All the physical attributes needed, great in the air and skilled enough on the ball for the modern game. The problem is he has **** for brains. He just goes off and does his own thing, no discipline. I don't know if a good defensive coach can fix this or if it's just so ingrained in him that the better option is selling him and bringing in someone else more consisent to partner Kos.

Vermaelen is human and is capable of learning like anyone. Vermaelen does not have **** for brains. He's not stupid. He just need to be coached properly. If you gave this exact same group of players to George Graham or Mourinho, then you'd see us with a much better defensive organization. Wenger does many things better than GG, but this is not one of them.

I think the theory goes like this:

1. Our defensive problems are fundamentally systematic

2. To solve this we need better defensive coaching

3. We don't think Wenger will give us better defensive coaching

4. Therefore we settle for next best, and hope for a commanding CB who can help improve our defensive organization

Wenger isn't our only coach and we now have Steve Bould as our Assistant Manager and he was coached by... George Graham.

It remains to be seen whether Bouldy is given the task of licking our defensive unit into shape, but I bloody well hope so because I agree with Glenn... chucking money at it isn't going to work because the problem isn't the quality of personnel. A commanding centre back can advise another centre-back and bark orders but they can't coach them on the pitch.

Wenger isn't our only coach and we now have Steve Bould as our Assistant Manager and he was coached by... George Graham.

It remains to be seen whether Bouldy is given the task of licking our defensive unit into shape, but I bloody well hope so because I agree with Glenn... chucking money at it isn't going to work because the problem isn't the quality of personnel. A commanding centre back can advise another centre-back and bark orders but they can't coach them on the pitch.

Pat Rice also worked for GG.

I hope you're right. I really do. I think we will have the players to challenge titles. I really do. But I think we're failing on a very systematic and fundamental level, which is not necessarily the quality of our players.

Not if his attitude is crap

His attitude isn't 'crap'. Don't listen to anything that the press says because, as always, they 'over-size' any issue. M'Vila's spoke about this on his website himself, regarding the Laurent Blanc handshake issue. I know he's had some issues off the field, but we shouldn't forget that Robin van Persie did too - arguably, RVP had far worse issues.

On the pitch, his demeanor is exemplary. Works hard, is disciplined and gives his all for the team. He started every Ligue 1 game last season [2011/'12] for Stade Rennes. Yann M'Vila only received 2 yellow cards last season, Alex Song got 10! When I watched Stade Rennes' final Ligue 1 game of the season against Dijon, they were leading 4-0 and M'Vila was no further than 15-yards from his centre-halves. That's exactly what we need, especially if Alex Song's deployed as a box-to-box midfielder next season.

His attitude isn't 'crap'. Don't listen to anything that the press says because, as always, they 'over-size' any issue. M'Vila's spoke about this on his website himself, regarding the Laurent Blanc handshake issue. I know he's had some issues off the field, but we shouldn't forget that Robin van Persie did too - arguably, RVP had far worse issues.

On the pitch, his demeanor is exemplary. Works hard, is disciplined and gives his all for the team. He started every Ligue 1 game last season [2011/'12] for Stade Rennes. Yann M'Vila only received 2 yellow cards last season, Alex Song got 10! When I watched Stade Rennes' final Ligue 1 game of the season against Dijon, they were leading 4-0 and M'Vila was no further than 15-yards from his centre-halves. That's exactly what we need, especially if Alex Song's deployed as a box-to-box midfielder next season.

Well according to the decent Spiro Wenger doesn't want him due to this attitude. Which would explain why we haven't signed him despite it being a) clear we want a holding mid, b) we have some money c) He is very keen on joining us. All of this would suggest there is a reason which could be the attitude or the fee involved

We have had more issues with players with poor attitudes or history's of one in recent times than we have had success such as Nasri, Gallas. Suppose even Cesc could be lumped into those who have caused troubles with their attitudes. Which all leads to the point that we are trying to create a squad with togetherness, something we achieved last season more so than in previous seasons, which means the attitudes are a vital part of the squad construction.

Anyway my point originally was that if his attitude is crap then we shouldn't sign rather than his attitude is crap.

Archived