Senegal's Arsenal Thread 2012/2013 : featuring positive negativity

Retro

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Vieira is the most dominating midfielder to ever grace the Premier League. He was the complete package. It's not wrong to say he was a destroyer, but he was also far far more than just that, as we all know.

Personally, I don't think we particularly need a playmaker. I don't think Wenger is looking for one either. We already have Arteta, Wilshere, and Rosicky. Wenger will be expecting Ramsey to step up as well. Song has also proven he can make the odd pass, and I believe M'Villa is a decent passer, judging by his statistics. None of them is world class, obviously, but I think we have other weaknesses to work on first.

Flamini wouldn't work in a 3 man midfield. His only real quality is his endless running, and that worked in the two man central midfield, as he essentially covered the ground of two men, and left Cesc to do all the creating. With our three man midfield now, there's less of a necessity for legwork, but more necessity for quality, which Flamini doesn't have.

Wenger on Olivier Giroud

"I think he has exceptional potential and will integrate very well in our collective and our way of playing," said Wenger.

"He is a real team player and knows how to combine with other players and I'm sure he will do well with us."

M'Vila would be a cracking signing. Giroud has all but signed the contract from what's been said. Still think we need to strengthen at full back, but not a bad start to this summer, especially considering where we were this time last year.

M'Vila would be a cracking signing. Giroud has all but signed the contract from what's been said. Still think we need to strengthen at full back, but not a bad start to this summer, especially considering where we were this time last year.

I'm not a big fan of Andre Santos, but Wenger looks pretty content with Santos, Gibbs, Jenkinson, and Sagna as our fullbacks options

As a neutral I'm surprised at the lack of faith a lot of Arsenal fans seem to have in Jenkinson, I was very impressed with him from what I saw last season. One thing that stuck out for me was his willingness to get forward and take the ball, when a number of more much experienced team mates were hiding and not taking responsibility he was always available. Seems to have a mature head on his shoulders and I hope he comes good.

Yes, that's what's so silly about this. Reus hasn't even played for BVB yet, making any deal nigh-on impossible.

Anybody else noticing that Arsène Wenger's been far more vocal this Summer? Saying the Giroud deal is '90% done' etc. Ivan Gazidis seems to be keeping to his word - getting business done early.

Yes, that's what's so silly about this. Reus hasn't even played for BVB yet, making any deal nigh-on impossible.

Anybody else noticing that Arsène Wenger's been far more vocal this Summer? Saying the Giroud deal is '90% done' etc. Ivan Gazidis seems to be keeping to his word - getting business done early.

Wenger hasnt been more vocal at all. He always speaks to the French press more openly than the English one. This sort of thing happens every summer, especially when its an international tournament year

Jenkinson is still miles away from being a title-challenging RB. Hopefully he'll be ready by the time Sagna is no longer one. He's good enough for a backup though, I guess. When you pay attention to a good fullback, you start noticing all the little things they do right. How they force wingers down a certain channel, how they track runs, how they position themselves. I play as a fullback myself, (only because I'm not tall enough to play in central defense) and when I was younger, I used to watch Lee Dixon and (let me wash my mouth) Gary Neville quite closely because they did the little things you don't notice, very well. It's also why if you focus on Clichy, you start to notice his lack of defensive awareness as well (I blame Clichy's lack of defensive progression on Wenger though.)

Having said that, I'm quite excited by Jenkinson. I think he's got what it takes to become a really good fullback for us. He's got a great engine, a good cross, decent pace, great work ethic, and very importantly, he's an Arsenal fan. Physically, he can compete, and technically, he's not bad at all and will improve, it's the actual art of defending that he still needs to work on. However, the same can be said about so many of our players.

Sod's law that one of our most consistently fit players breaks his leg twice the season that we sell our experienced backup and bring in a completely untested youngster. I think Jenkinson will be alright in a couple of years but we really need Sagna to recover properly.

Sod's law that one of our most consistently fit players breaks his leg twice the season that we sell our experienced backup and bring in a completely untested youngster. I think Jenkinson will be alright in a couple of years but we really need Sagna to recover properly.

Not to mention said untested youngster also suffer a 3 month injury at the same time as our consistent RB, meaning we have to shove all kinds of players into that position.

Reminds me of when we had to use Arshavin as striker.

Good stuff.

Podolski and Giroud confirmed, even before the window is open.

As Suggy said, hopefully there will be a few going out now!

Still some areas that need strengthening, but this is certainly progress on last seasons debacle

A mate of mine said we've been linked with Nathaniel Clyne at Palace, but I cant find anything anywhere! I suspect he got it off a random on twitter but I've net seen him since to ask.

Would a be a decent signing, I don't know much about him, but from what I've read he is a highly rated u-21 international who can play right or left back. Would possible be third choice LB, but could see him ahead of Jenkinson for RB (maybe Jenkinson out on loan somewhere to gain experience.)

Archived