Official FM2011 Match Engine Feedback Thread

I know you won't be rolling back to it... but maybe you'll see it a better -building block- for later versions. I've played 2 versions of FM 10 and 11, and 10 got better between 10.2 and 10.3. However since then is been going backwards.

I'm not going to pretend to know what the situation is in your offices... but from the -look- of things in the end product there is a distinct lack of base lining and sticking too them. Perfect example is the DFK's, don't remember anyone complaining about them in FM10, but now we hear they can't get better until you create new physics... well what did you change from 10 that requires better physics, and why make that change if you don't have -all- the tools needed to support it.

As for why I said the same thing in multiple threads, different people read different threads and I said these things in different threads first and that's when I came to the realizations, so I posted those same thoughts in the official thread to make sure the issues were noted. The rollback comment is just meant to as emphasis on how things are not moving forward.

• Replies 768
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • SI Staff

DFK rate isnt too bad in 11.2. Its around 0.5 EPL, 0.7 Liga, 0.3 lower leagues. I dont think that's too far off real life figures. Although these kinds of figures arent always easy to source.....my understanding is that at top levels it should be around 0.7 or so.

However until we implement something called the Magnus effect on ball physics these shots wont be 100% right. And that's been the case since we went 2D, nothing new. If DFK rates are down from 10.3 or whatever its due other changes eg better wall position, keepers, less conceded on edge of area etc.

And all your posts are your own opinion, which you are perfectly entitled to air on here, but are not fact, and its likely many would disagree with some or all of your points :)

OK, I give up. The ME of 11.2 is just flawless and perfect :)

From the Wales match

10:00: Attacker just outpaces the defender, using his raw speed to get past him onto the TB. Given it was Darren Bent, I don't see anything unusual at all. That's pretty much how he plays. The chasing defender had half a chance of getting a saving tackle in, but would have been far more likely to bring Bent down, get sent off and give away the penalty.

31:50: Defender tracks the attacker and forces him onto his weaker foot. If there is an issue here, it is that the attacker chose to shoot on his weaker foot from such a distance, not the defensive cover.

36:26: The defender is marking the man to his right and is let down by his midfield failing to track the runner from deep, who bursts past him at pace. He is caught between having to cover two players, hesitates and gets burnt.

From the Bulgaria match

33:40: I agree that the first defender should have stepped up earlier to try and kill off the run. However, it is just a world class run in which he twice turns his man inside out.

40:00: Rooney bursts past his marker at pace. Cover is a little slow to arrive and there's a case to be said that he should move laterally earlier. However, he still forces Rooney out wide and makes the shot far more difficult.

76:00: Attacker outpaces his marker as he has to turn back to chase. Look at off the ball, agility, anticipation and pace attributes to see if this is realistic.

80:10: Defensive tackle breaks to attacker who threads first time pass back to his strike partner who is moving into the space behind the tackler. FBs are forced to cover run as the second DC has stepped up to try and close down the man on the ball.

NB: It is Dann who is the problem player in three of these examples. Looks like he was having a bad game in general. Maybe he was nervous, complacent or not quite up to international football yet?

I really don't see any of these as being major ME flaws.

Paul, I've uploaded a .pkm called lazaru5_throwins_wrong_taker.pkm. It's a different tactic (same formation) from the one in the screenshot above but has similar marking issues. I'm uploading this one as there are a number of things that I'd like you to take a look at, I'm not saying that all of them are wrong, but there are definite problems with most of them (IMHO) and all are seriously frustrating for a manager.

1. 01:44 - Blue throw-in on the right. The left-back comes across to take the throw :confused:

2. 03:16 - Blue throw-in on the left. The right-back comes across to take the throw :confused:

3. 04:44 - Orange goal, IMO as a direct result of the right-back being OOP because of the throw :mad:

4. 07:05 - Orange throw-in - watch the blue STCL's movement (no idea why he would be there anyway?)

5. 08:28 - Orange GK DFK, IMO the wrong CB goes for the header leaving his man to do so (the other CB is the 'best header' of the two)

6. 10:40 - Orange throw-in - I'm unsure whether I'm happy with the marking here or not?

7. 31:05 - Orange throw-in - I'm not happy with the marking here!

8. 31:58 - Orange cross from the right, the blue CB inexplicably turns his back!

9. 57:12 - Blue DFK - the positioning of the orange wall/GK is suspect (IMO)

10. 71-21 - Orange throw-in - blue LCM leaves his player to pick up the sub

11. 78:01 - Orange throw-in - I'm not happy with the marking here!

12. 83:34 - Orange throw-in - or here! This is where I'd use the 'barn dance' analogy, the players don't seem to know who to pick-up, leaving one man to pick up another (who's marker then attempts to pick up the man they've left)

I purposely made no tactical or personnel changes during this game. The tactic used is a classic tactic that has worked fine in the past. Both full-backs and both wingers are set to 'default' for throw-in's and I have no specified taker of them (which should mean that on the right the takers are the DR/AMR and on the left the DL/AML - yes?). Apart from the two early throw-ins that were taken by the wrong players, all blue throw-ins were taken by the correct player(s).

There are a number of occasions where the marking is suspect that I haven't highlighted, but it seems to be pretty common for there to be a guy unmarked in the centre (as in the screenshot).

Thanks

Laz

If you guys check out the 11.2.1 feedback thread you will see the match tactics is messed up with this new patch. I'm thinking others may not know this on this thread so when you are thinking your changing tactics your really not and it may explain a few problems with what you are seeing the ME do.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/245356-Official-Patch-11.2.1-quot-Hotfix-quot-Feedback-Thread/page3

However until we implement something called the Magnus effect on ball physics these shots wont be 100% right.

Are you actually looking into implementing this any time soon then? Because the curl effect you have in there now to compensate is, quite frankly, ********. This is one thing that wasn't there in such form in 9.3.0 and the long shots looked much better for it. If you want to have the shots curl like they do then you at least have to make sure that the players taking them are at an appropriate angle and in a position to curl it and most importantly you have to make sure that a shot hit with power wouldn't take this banana curve. Right now you have players facing the goal hitting fierce shots that curl in a fashion which utterly defies the laws of physics.

Edit: why is 'r*tarded' a censored word :confused:

Got another example of the issue where a player jogs along slowly to chase down a loose ball and lets the opponent nip in: pelicanstuff_chasingdown55min.pkm In this case it results in a red card when he pulls back the opponent that nipped in front.

Incidentally, the last kick of the game is also of interest. The player has ample time to chest the ball down in front of him or control it in some other way, but decides to flick it on with a stooping header to nowhere with the result that it goes out.

For some reason I have the feeling strikers are having a harder time scoring goals since the new patch. Anyone else finding this? I'm creating loads of chances, yet converting little lately :(

Converting chances has always been a problem in the series.

You can lose ten easy chances with Messi in one game and have people here claim it's your tactics. Don't listen to those people.

SI has been trying to fix this issue but can't get it right. Sometimes it tries to compensate by nurfing other areas that bring goals, like headers (10.3 last year is proof).

What SI is not telling us is why they find it so hard to hit a good ratio of chances and conversion rate. We don't want a perfect ratio, just a seemingly realistic one.

They will sometimes bring on the table conversion rates from real football, but that doesn't really say much, does it? Why would we have to suffer an unrealistic conversion rate because a global ratio tries to be realistic?

It should be harder to create chances, not harder to score easy goals.

But again, as I said, this is an area that SI has always failed. So either they need a different approach/design or it is just too damn difficult.

one of the worst things about the ME since it was introduced is when the game "pre-determines" that a certain player will get the ball. you could have messi 5 meters away from a ball but huddlestone who isnt the fastest player in the world, will be able to sprint half the pitch away because for whatever reason, messi decides not to run for the ball, but casually stroll for it and not get it, wtf!?

v11.2.1 might be better but until something simple as saved tactics not working properly (team instructions dont always save, set piece instructions dont always save but luckily the game will save a million useless copies of "current"), im sticking with v11.1.1

Does the match engine recognise what a professional foul actually is? Getting a bit tired of having to discipline my players for fouling an attacker running out wide with two or three covering defenders, because it's deemed a professional foul somehow.

Or is it just a constant case of the match engine not representing the play properly?

Sigh I wished SI can fix the centerbacks being split too easily once and for all. It's doing my head in how easily a AM-FC combination can split my 2 DCs + DM.

It's like the 2 DCs have no idea how to cover for each other and seem to "bounce" off the man in possession a lot of the time.

Also, is it just me or was wingplay nerfed in 11.2? Don't seem to get wingers running down the wings and delivering decent crosses any more. They seem to prefer running between the DC and fullbacks all the time, unnecessarily crowding the middle of the park.

Sigh I wished SI can fix the centerbacks being split too easily once and for all. It's doing my head however easily a AM-FC combination can split my 2 DCs + DM.

It's like the 2 DCs have no idea how to cover for each other and seem to "bounce" off the man in possession a lot of the time.

I couldn't agree more

This has actually been happening in my favour but since the patch i'm noticing a lot of goals and chances created by a Long goal kick from the AI, i win the header on midfield and my striker is completly clear on goal.. i know it happens IRL but i'm seeing it every other match, is it happening to anyone else?

Sigh I wished SI can fix the centerbacks being split too easily once and for all. It's doing my head however easily a AM-FC combination can split my 2 DCs + DM.

I had this impression too but I switched my two CB with one on "Cover" and the other on "Stopper" (don't know the english word for this one, sorry) and I found it worked pretty well.

This has actually been happening in my favour but since the patch i'm noticing a lot of goals and chances created by a Long goal kick from the AI, i win the header on midfield and my striker is completly clear on goal.. i know it happens IRL but i'm seeing it every other match, is it happening to anyone else?

ive noticed it, happens when the AI plays a high line against you, especially on the bigger pitches, i have rooney and hernandez who are no slouches for pace, and they are quickly away

Can we please sort out the time wasting from the AI. If you are a goal down with minutes to go everytime the AI gets a goal kick, throw in, free kick it is taking an unrealistic amount of time. I timed one goal kick at 25 seconds which is a long time when you are a goal down!!

what's unrealistic about that? What is unrealistic is that the referee doesn't warn/book anybody for time-wasting... that's what I'd like to see! The time-wasting, to me, is a pretty accurate reflection on what happens in real-life...

what's unrealistic about that? What is unrealistic is that the referee doesn't warn/book anybody for time-wasting... that's what I'd like to see! The time-wasting, to me, is a pretty accurate reflection on what happens in real-life...

Definitely agree with this. I've seen instances of goalkeepers delaying their goal kick for about 30 seconds without any punishment from the referee.

There's definitely too many injuries in this version. I noticed a drastic change after applying the latest patch. In almost every game I have to substitute one or two players because they've picked up various knocks and they can't recover from it. On top of that, sometimes the condition of a player suddenly drops to 60 something for no apparent reason at all.

I've noticed some weird anomalies with my CB at set pieces... he's set to go forward for attacking free-kicks yet if the IFK is on the wing he decides to go and stand with the taker... no idea why?

Also, he's set to "mark tall" at defensive corners... so he marks the guy lurking outside the box... real good idea that one, don't you think? :/

that is all... for now :)

It's really bugging me that strikers especially deep-lying forwards on support turn and dribble the wings when they have all the space in the world to run through the center.

I've seen Berbatov turn onto his left foot (his weaker foot) to dribble, resulting in both him and the left winger isolated on the touchline when a turn onto his right foot would have resulted in better angles for through balls.

Has anyone else encountered this issue?

PS: Can we get this thread stickied?

It's really bugging me that strikers especially deep-lying forwards on support turn and dribble the wings when they have all the space in the world to run through the center.

I've seen Berbatov turn onto his left foot (his weaker foot) to dribble, resulting in both him and the left winger isolated on the touchline when a turn onto his right foot would have resulted in better angles for through balls.

Has anyone else encountered this issue?

aye ive posted somewhere else about strikers going wide all the time. seems the wingers hitting the fullbacks way too often is back, cant see why they cant hold the ball a bit longer or cross sooner instead of aiming at the defender

Just uploaded a pkm named pelicanstuff_gkerror1stgoal.pkm. While I can understand goalie errors are a part of the game, in this case he just seems to stand there and let the ball roll slowly past him. It's the first goal of the match.

In the 40th minute of the same game, there is also an appeal for a penalty which the commentary suggests should have been awarded, however the incident occurred a little way outside the box.

I have to say in general I really like the match engine, although it is often difficult to tell whether something is a mistake or a bug when playing right down at level 9 in England. When teams are in possession of the ball the game has a nice flow to it, but it is off the ball and general defensive play where the problems become apparent.

All of the points below relate to both my team and the AI

Defenders seem very reluctant to close the ball down

Reaction times seem drastically different between defending and attacking teams, especially when dealing with through balls. It is almost as if defenders "Ball Watch".

Central Defenders for some reason are very reticent to move from their position to cover their team mates, resulting in huge gaps appearing in Defence. This is especially true on quick counter attacks, often with an attacking player on the wing only being closed down when reaching the edge of the penalty area. While often a goal is probably the correct result the positioning of the defenders seems totally illogical.

When tracking back defenders act like they are attached to Tomy's "Super Cup Football". The player looks as if he wants to run towards the ball but is stopped by an invisible wall.

If the defending can be sorted, this version will be by far and away the most superior yet. Until then I would say 10.3 is a better all rounder.

I've noticed that players are still penalised in the player ratings for conceding a penalty even if the commentary makes it fairly clear that it was an error by the referee and shouldn't have been a penalty. I don't think that this should occur. I've uploaded a pkm called pelicanstuff_pen54minred61min that demonstrates this issue.

In the same match, the red card awarded for a professional foul was wrong as the player didn't seem to be preventing a clear goalscoring opportunity.

There still seems to be an issue with players shooting from long range on their weaker foot when they have time to take it onto the stronger foot. This occurs in the pkm immediately after the red card when player Fofana takes a shot following the free kick.

Hopefully this thread is still being looked at and the PKMs evaluated, can someone just confirm quickly this is the case? Since otherwise I should be posting issues such as the first one mentioned in this post in the bugs forum.

Hi, not sure if this has been mentioned but there are a number of times where when a long ball is punted forward and starts bouncing the defender jumps up to head it, completely misses it and the striker runs behind and is through on goal. It happens far too often and is unrealistic.

Also I have a midfielder called arturo vidal who has the shoots from distance ppm and despite always having his long shots set at rarely, and his creative freedom at times put to 0, and trying to talk with him to "unlearn" the ppm ("I don't think it will benefit my game"), it at times gets ridiculous with the number of long shots he takes. One game I even had to take him off after 40 minutes because every single highlight was him blasting a shot over from 30 yards. I am now worried that every player with the shoots from distance ppm is like this?

There's seriously something wrong with basic closing down mechanics. I've uploaded a pkm called idiotic defending. The Crystal Palace goal at 48.00 - their midfielder picks up the ball about 40 yards from goal while the two central defenders are perfectly in position to close him down. Instead both of them not only fail to do that but they actually pull away to either side leaving an 8 yard gap between them like this. The Palace midfielder then casually jogs into that gap and slots it in. All Notts Co players are on zonal marking.

Does anyone find that the number of shots per match is on the high side (Paul's stats says around 24 shots per match in 11.2, but I can't seem to find real life stats)? This causes stats such as shots on target/shots attempted to be on the low side.

E.g. Rooney, who I play mostly as an Advanced Fwd, has roughly 0.5 shots on target/shots attempted when in real life he's averaging around 0.6 (if not higher) for the past 3 seasons (Source: Football 365).

I'm going to post a long list of gripes with defending in 11.2 soon since I'm seeing more and more baffling flaws with the basics, but there's something I have to get off my chest right now.

Why can't you, for once, GET RID OF THE SEQUENCES IN MATCH HIGHLIGHTS THAT AREN'T HIGHLIGHTS!

Sorry for screaming, but it's simply that frustrating. I recommend anyone dealing with the ME development (that's pretty much only PaulC as far as I understand then) to record a clip of a player slowly trudging up to the ref to get talked to or booked and back into their position. Then watch it continuously until they fall into catatonic sleep from boredom, and then come back and tell me why any of this has to be showed to us as part of key/extended highlights. Seriously.

I'm going to post a long list of gripes with defending in 11.2 soon since I'm seeing more and more baffling flaws with the basics' date=' but there's something I have to get off my chest right now.

Why can't you, for once, GET RID OF THE SEQUENCES IN MATCH HIGHLIGHTS THAT AREN'T HIGHLIGHTS!

Sorry for screaming, but it's simply that frustrating. I recommend anyone dealing with the ME development (that's pretty much only PaulC as far as I understand then) to record a clip of a player slowly trudging up to the ref to get talked to or booked and back into their position. Then watch it continuously until they fall into catatonic sleep from boredom, and then come back and tell me why any of this has to be showed to us as part of key/extended highlights. Seriously.[/quote']

Haha agreed. Also about the 5 minutes of my life wasted watching the physio SLOWLY walk to the injured player and administering treatment then slowly ambling off the field. Grr!

Hello everyone,

I state that I am not a great creator of tactics, but this month I have happened to the game of all colors or so.

The are several things to improve:

1) When a player makes a roll for the attacker, the defender who is an advantage as it takes possession of the ball stops and it leaves the attacker face to face with the goalkeeper (this happens to me is that down).

2) The CPU is too please, because my type my players lose the ball in midfield and instead of the time the CPU does not happen very often. Even if this happens I have a DREAM TEAM. It is not a matter of condition because the condition of the players is 94% -100%, then the moral before starting the season with wins in friendly on is great.

3) One thing I just can not bear is that small teams are always strong against me, almost. As I wrote about, I'm not a great creator of tactics, but also with my tactics is not always the same, small teams of players sometimes make the sensational play as if Cristiano Ronaldo or Lionel Messi.

4) Another thing that I have often, with any team, I did most of the game with 20 total shots and 15 shots on goal for 5-6 times sharper and the goalkeeper parried everything and more, then The only action I did well attacking goal, which is striking (to me).

5) One thing, though you can change, are also the management of the tactics, because in reality a player makes a lot of things, like: How to attack, how to defend, movements and other things. I see that you are still unable to put a publishing or otherwise on the personal instructions of the player that.

6) If possible, also make a publishing to create patterns for corner kicks, free kicks and throw-ins. Not like that of this year but the movements they have to do the players.

7) If one player to Wayne Rooney who is brought face to face against the goalkeeper for 6-7 times and only 1-2 can to score against goalies also unknown is a little irritating.

8) Last thing at the moment comes to mind is the management of the training because it is not real. We must put a management training which players choose how to train in the morning and afternoon.

For the moment these are the things to improve, then maybe if I can think of something else, come back and write.

I hope I was clear and thanks for your attention,

Ionenum

1- closing down should be improved, sometimes the player goes near the opposition player with the ball and just stays next to him until he passes.

2- when the ball is hoofed in to space and goalie and striker are near it by the same distance, goalie decides to come for the ball and then changes his mind and goes back giving striker a 1-on-1 opportunity. i know it happens with poor decision making, but it happens frequently.

3- it seems a bit easy to score corners on the far post.

4- PK conversion rate should be improved slightly.

Hi guys,

I haven't had time to go through the entire thread, but I wonder if anyone has noticed that very few direct free kicks result in goals? My main free kick taker has 14 - 16 in all the important areas, such as free kick taking (14), technique (16), composure (14) but he has failed to nail a direct free kick ALL SEASON. Yes I realise he is no Beckham but for my league level he is a star player. Around 75% of his free kicks hit the wall and the rest are either off target or saved by the keeper. On average I'd say there are 2 - 3 free kicks per match within reasonable scoring distance (25 yards or so) and most of the time he shoots from this range... so thats close to 100 shots at goal over the course of the season but no luck AT ALL. I'll also add that the AI has failed to score from a direct free kick against me as well... so the problem isn't only from the human manager end.

What do you guys think? I definitely think this aspect of the game needs a bit of tweaking. If you have a decent free kick taker (skill ~15 in the important areas) you would hope that at least 1 in 10 free kicks within range would result in a goal, right? I think a good ratio would be 30% hits the wall, 30% off target, 30% on target but saved and 10% resulting in a goal.

Hi guys,

I haven't had time to go through the entire thread, but I wonder if anyone has noticed that very few direct free kicks result in goals? My main free kick taker has 14 - 16 in all the important areas, such as free kick taking (14), technique (16), composure (14) but he has failed to nail a direct free kick ALL SEASON. Yes I realise he is no Beckham but for my league level he is a star player. Around 75% of his free kicks hit the wall and the rest are either off target or saved by the keeper. On average I'd say there are 2 - 3 free kicks per match within reasonable scoring distance (25 yards or so) and most of the time he shoots from this range... so thats close to 100 shots at goal over the course of the season but no luck AT ALL. I'll also add that the AI has failed to score from a direct free kick against me as well... so the problem isn't only from the human manager end.

What do you guys think? I definitely think this aspect of the game needs a bit of tweaking. If you have a decent free kick taker (skill ~15 in the important areas) you would hope that at least 1 in 10 free kicks within range would result in a goal, right? I think a good ratio would be 30% hits the wall, 30% off target, 30% on target but saved and 10% resulting in a goal.

PaulC has talked about it, it's slightly low (though actually there havent been that many free kicksscored in the prem IRL this season for example) but until they can implement something called the Magnus effect (dont ask me what it si, think its something to do with ball physics) there isnt much they can do

PaulC has talked about it, it's slightly low (though actually there havent been that many free kicksscored in the prem IRL this season for example) but until they can implement something called the Magnus effect (dont ask me what it si, think its something to do with ball physics) there isnt much they can do

Well, I only have one season to go off, but it's so bad that if I could find a way to tell my free kick taker to just lay it off for a player to shoot or to cross it into the box instead of shooting directly I would, since there is next to no chance of his shot actually scoring the way the ME is at the moment.

This didn't seem to be a problem in previous CM/FMs though... like I said, I'm not expecting a barrage of goals but if you're a skilled free kick taker and get 100 shots at goal in a season, you'd wanna nail a few right?!

Well, I only have one season to go off, but it's so bad that if I could find a way to tell my free kick taker to just lay it off for a player to shoot or to cross it into the box instead of shooting directly I would, since there is next to no chance of his shot actually scoring the way the ME is at the moment.

This didn't seem to be a problem in previous CM/FMs though... like I said, I'm not expecting a barrage of goals but if you're a skilled free kick taker and get 100 shots at goal in a season, you'd wanna nail a few right?!

ive had a few go in this half season so far, but i dont really expect to score loads

Archived