Official FM2011 Match Engine Feedback Thread

Awesome Paul. Thanks for keeping us updated. Updates look really and I have one question, will al the ME changes be save game compatible or we will have to start new game in order to have all the changes?

Thanks.

• Replies 768
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Match Engine updates are always 100% saved game compatible.

I am well aware that you probably won't anwer this question, but I thought I would pass it your way anyway:

Do you think that the increase in 'values' that occur at the more extreme positions on the sliders are not a little too far appart in contrast? I ask this becuase I think alot of gamers find the game too easy once you have reached a certain point in the Clubs' overall value. I know a while back that SI wanted to change the aspect of the bigger clubs underachieving, but could it be that this increase is 'knocking on' a few of the difficulties you are facing today?

• SI Staff
I am well aware that you probably won't anwer this question, but I thought I would pass it your way anyway:

Do you think that the increase in 'values' that occur at the more extreme positions on the sliders are not a little too far appart in contrast? I ask this becuase I think alot of gamers find the game too easy once you have reached a certain point in the Clubs' overall value. I know a while back that SI wanted to change the aspect of the bigger clubs underachieving, but could it be that this increase is 'knocking on' a few of the difficulties you are facing today?

I dont really understand the question......

I dont really understand the question......

Well, I was under the impression that you had wrote a while ago that the slider settings from 16 and upwards had an increase in it's value so the difference between them were larger than lower settings on the slider. This could cause that, for example, a Pace setting of 16 and 17 were larger appart than that of 12 to 13. I understood that SI did this so that the bigger teams would not underachieve in the long run. Now, this is what I mean by the slider's increase in it's value. So, a setting like Counter Attack increases the Mentality value when you have it ticked in certain scenarios (which is apparently triggered when X ammount of players are between ball and the goal line) - and most of the attacking Strategies in the TC have this option. I'm just wondering if these mechanics are not causing some of the random effects that one see's when matches are played out in the ME and how the lower quality teams can cope with these more extreme settings.

So, I am wondering if these issues are not the fault that it's relatively easy to have too much success with the stronger teams and struggle when you have a very poor squad. I am not the one to say what is right or wrong, I've just always been interrested in how the ME calculates the overall settings as I always thrive to make the best tactics I possibly can. If things are not consistant in tactic testing then it just makes one wonder why and what could be causing this. I'm no genius FM player but I am pretty sure that the Counter Attack makes Match Stats way too random. At the same time, if the difference between 16 and 17 are greater than 5 to 6 on the slider then when you have a great squad it seems as it becomes too easy to win - providing that the FM gamers knows what strategy to use for their next match...

I've build a tactic based on the most common features in a few of the tactics that people have reported they are overachieving with. Looking at these tactics gives you an idea of where the ME is biased and might need tweaking. The difficult thing is to interpret why some strategies are just more effective in the long run, but for what it is worth, here is two points:

* Overall quick strikers are the best kind of strikers there is. If this bias is reduced I think it will solves a lot of the problems that it produce as side effects.

* Tendency towards the "Hold up ball"-box actually being a "Play better"-box. And who wouldn't tick a "Play better"-box? :)

Paul, are you aware of what seems a very serious issue with Direct Free Kicks being incredibly poor?

(recent Thread discussion on it)

In my 3 Premiership seasons the DFK stats are thus (and this is league-wide and not just my team):

Season 1, 17 goals, all but 3 teams <=1, 9 teams with NONE. (3 games short of full season)

Season 2, 24 goals, 14 of which are from 4 teams, 15 teams with 1 or 0.

Season 3, 12 goals, 3 teams with 2, 6 with 1, 11 teams with NONE.

My Tottenham team has scored NONE in 3.5 league seasons...

The problem is that a massive amount of them are just smacked straight into the wall (seemingly about 3/4). And this is with Prem quality free kick takers.

It would seem to me :

way less free kicks need to hit the wall (especially with good FK takers)

more free kicks need to go over the bar (this hardly seems to happen)

good free kick takers need to get the ball up AND down more, and therefore on target.

And in comparison the Indirect Free Kick goals seems really high:

Season 1, 93 indirect FK goals

Season 2, 115

Season 6, 116

Anybody reading feel free to check your own league (not team) stats. This seems to be an issue many/all people are having and noit just a 3-season abberation for me.

I can't for the life of me find real life free kick stats (can anyone help?), but don't see any way these can be right, and I'm pretty sure previous FM's never had this bad a problem.

• SI Staff

Latest 11.2 beta code has around 1 direct free kick goal per 20 matches.

It may be a bit low but until we implement some improvements to ball physics ( future version ) we cant really improve much further on that.

Paul,

That's disappointing to hear. Is there a workaround in the meantime? Maybe adjust the wall so it doesn't fully block the goal or something? :p

I agree its slightly low but i bet for the average team they only score a direct freekick every 10-12 games at most so not too dreadfull but yeah needs uping abit :)

i havent really noticed any issues, FM has never been great for DFK's still managed to score 5 in my last season with Aberdeen, thats miles more than we would score in a normal season.

Infact i cannot really think of any team that regularly scores DFK's. CR7 is good for one in ten normally and he is probably the best in the world at them at the moment.

the AI is quite often not fielding 11 but only 10 players when starting a match

:klicky:

a9linb3s.png

the missing player was subed in after 36 minutes... not quite sure if this is ME error.

but im having a few other issues with the ME:

1. Mentality - is quite broken it doesent matter if a player is having 20 or 0 Mentality compared to a nother player of the same position they are allways "flying in sychronity" over the pitch, there is absolutly no visible difference.

2. Wingers - they do not work together, if you are fielding e.g. a FB(L) and an AML you´ll see quite often one of them circling on a position while having the ball having no clue what to do, if you only have one of them this behavior never happens. another hind towards this is that the nuber of passes generated on one side is not effected by the number of players on this side - if you field 5 people on the left side you would normaly see an increasement of passes between them but that did not happen, the nuber of all of them added is quite (+/-5) the same number a lone FB generates on that side.

AML/R are extreamly hard to gel into a team, the number of passes and crosses are extreamly low compared even to a DC ... the best you can expect from them is making goals as inside forward every other "role" acts as if he would be an inside foward anyway.

3. Striker - they are horrible they are running all over the pitch leaving the centre completly empty. this really sucks if you are only having one striker, instead of staying in the centre creating a passing/crossing option, he is allways - regardless of 0 or 20 mentality/crativity or their width play - running towards the corner tightening the field for the wingers.

the AI is quite often not fielding 11 but only 10 players when starting a match

:klicky:

a9linb3s.png

the missing player was subed in after 36 minutes... not quite sure if this is ME error.

but im having a few other issues with the ME:

1. Mentality - is quite broken it doesent matter if a player is having 20 or 0 Mentality compared to a nother player of the same position they are allways "flying in sychronity" over the pitch, there is absolutly no visible difference.

2. Wingers - they do not work together, if you are fielding e.g. a FB(L) and an AML you´ll see quite often one of them circling on a position while having the ball having no clue what to do, if you only have one of them this behavior never happens. another hind towards this is that the nuber of passes generated on one side is not effected by the number of players on this side - if you field 5 people on the left side you would normaly see an increasement of passes between them but that did not happen, the nuber of all of them added is quite (+/-5) the same number a lone FB generates on that side.

AML/R are extreamly hard to gel into a team, the number of passes and crosses are extreamly low compared even to a DC ... the best you can expect from them is making goals as inside forward every other "role" acts as if he would be an inside foward anyway.

3. Striker - they are horrible they are running all over the pitch leaving the centre completly empty. this really sucks if you are only having one striker, instead of staying in the centre creating a passing/crossing option, he is allways - regardless of 0 or 20 mentality/crativity or their width play - running towards the corner tightening the field for the wingers.

A quick tweak in your tactics mate could solve some of your problems

A quick tweak in your tactics mate could solve some of your problems

yep, playing without a winger beside the fullbacks and at least 2 striker ... but that doesnt fix the issue the ME cant handle more then one running up and down the side. and can´t keep the striker nearest to the ball allways running towards the ball.

• SI Staff

Hi Tankqull,

If you do have some clear cut examples you want me to look and the time/inclination to do it at by all means feel free email me with the pkm file and some descriptions....

Cheers,

Paul

Well done, on all the tweaks so far. Good to see it is being looked at properly.

I've played probably about 6 full seasons in detail now and my main critisism of the 11.1.1 ME would be:

1) Big lack of 'good goals'. I usually play as good sides and if not I'll at least try and buy technical players and play that sort of football. However I very rarely score a nice goal. Most of them result from crosses, one through ball, mistakes, set pieces, or long shots. Very very rarely will I score after a ncie intricate passing movement, I think I have only ever actually scored 1 goal like that. There was about 4 or 5 nice slick passes around the box before the striker was played in. It happens very rarely, even for a team like me who tries to play that way.

2) Penalties. Too many are missed. Especially against me. Quite simple. Could be an accuracy or composure issue, but either way, they seem to be missed too often.

3) Using Overload when 1-0 down doesn't work. Not specfic to Overload itself, but generally when chasing a game, your team tend to do nothing. There is often no chances for the remaining time.

4) CCCs being missed too frequently.

5) Set Pieces instructions are often ignored or very poorly implemented. EG, the corner doesn't get anywhere near the guy who is supposed to be attacking the near post.

6) Sometimes don't seem to be able to push your line high enough. Even when they are all the way up, they'll sometimes not mark the strikers of the other team, but then when the strikers get the ball, they'll come charging out.

Well done, on all the tweaks so far. Good to see it is being looked at properly.

I've played probably about 6 full seasons in detail now and my main criticism of the 11.1.1 ME would be:

1) Big lack of 'good goals'. I usually play as good sides and if not I'll at least try and buy technical players and play that sort of football. However I very rarely score a nice goal. Most of them result from crosses, one through ball, mistakes, set pieces, or long shots. Very very rarely will I score after a nice intricate passing movement, I think I have only ever actually scored 1 goal like that. There was about 4 or 5 nice slick passes around the box before the striker was played in. It happens very rarely, even for a team like me who tries to play that way.

2) Penalties. Too many are missed. Especially against me. Quite simple. Could be an accuracy or composure issue, but either way, they seem to be missed too often.

3) Using Overload when 1-0 down doesn't work. Not specific to Overload itself, but generally when chasing a game, your team tend to do nothing. There is often no chances for the remaining time.

4) CCCs being missed too frequently.

5) Set Pieces instructions are often ignored or very poorly implemented. EG, the corner doesn't get anywhere near the guy who is supposed to be attacking the near post.

6) Sometimes don't seem to be able to push your line high enough. Even when they are all the way up, they'll sometimes not mark the strikers of the other team, but then when the strikers get the ball, they'll come charging out.

Some steady points there sheva :)

how ever lol just my intake on a few :) the overload dose't guarantee you'll get a chance you may get 1 you might not you mite get caught out like i do alot :)

and your corners, again every corner is't going to hit the spot if it did we would have a new corner exploit on our hands :)

Yeah sure. I understand Overload doesn't guarantee you'll score 3 down the other end. But I think that seeing as it is the most extreme attacking option available, there should be SOME sort of chance created for either side. Maybe the other team counter-attacking? Maybe my pressure paying off. But certaintly not just absolutely nothing occurring. It's so frustrating to watch.

And with the corners, sometimes they are nowhere near. I'm not sure if my man attacking the front post is out of position, or if the corner is poor. But say for example, I leave my settings on all corners to near post, and I have my best header of the ball attacking near post. I can go 5 games without the ball ever getting near him.

its not that unrealistic tho, it is a very very difficult thing to land a corner exactly where you want it to go.

i have actually found the overload tactic to be too effective, i know it is not supposed to be used from the start but give it a go, i have found you can dominate matches easily when this tactic is on.

And with the corners, sometimes they are nowhere near. I'm not sure if my man attacking the front post is out of position, or if the corner is poor. But say for example, I leave my settings on all corners to near post, and I have my best header of the ball attacking near post. I can go 5 games without the ball ever getting near him.

Mite sound daft lol but are you using a decent corner taker in 1 of my saves i forgot to allocate 1 and by default i had someone taking it sometimes with a corner taking rating of 10 or something :)

as for overload like i say ive been caught out quite afew times in fm11 already :(

Yeah, They usually have at least 15 for corners although I have also been caught out with my centre half trying to take them in the past :(

It dose this now and again although ive no idea why surely it should auto select a better taker, as for your tactics besides asking a player to go near post is that were you have set your taker to put it ?

Match v907

----------

----------

Match v909

----------

- Tweaked effect of playing out of position on player performance

- Tweaked effect of consistency, nervousness and motivation on player performance

- Tweaked effect of choice of captain on other players' performances

- Tweaked effect of morale on performance

What do you mean tweaked? How big effect did they have now(and how big after the patch)?

I didnt know that the choice of captain had an effect on other players' performances! :confused:

Match v907

----------

----------

Match v909

----------

- Tweaked effect of consistency, nervousness and motivation on player performance

What do you mean tweaked? How big effect did they have now(and how big after the patch)?

I didnt know that the choice of captain had an effect on other players' performances! :confused:

I doubt the calculations used are simple enough to summarise sensibly in a forum. And captains have always had this effect, what do you think is the point of the 'influence' attribute otherwise?

Hey Paul,

Thanks a lot for doing this. This really is a great thread and your doing a great job aswell posting updates etc.

I just have one question;

Whats the deal with CCC's ? I seem to miss a lot, and I get the feeling the AI misses less than I do. I usually create like 4 or 5 a match(Im playing a good team with really good players), yet I rarely score anything. Is this being looked at, is this the way it was supposed to be?

Thanks,

DDWZ

Hey Paul,

Thanks a lot for doing this. This really is a great thread and your doing a great job aswell posting updates etc.

I just have one question;

Whats the deal with CCC's ? I seem to miss a lot, and I get the feeling the AI misses less than I do. I usually create like 4 or 5 a match(Im playing a good team with really good players), yet I rarely score anything. Is this being looked at, is this the way it was supposed to be?

Thanks,

DDWZ

Although in real life less than a third of clear cut chances are scored, it does seem in the game that keepers are slightly too good at saving shots from point blank range and slightly too poor at saving those from distance.

Although in real life less than a third of clear cut chances are scored, it does seem in the game that keepers are slightly too good at saving shots from point blank range and slightly too poor at saving those from distance.

do you have proof of this? I thought the same but just cannot for the life of me remember where I heard it or find anything to back this up. I'm sure that its right though.

Considering CCCs are not a stat tracked IRL (from what I understand), any guesses on the conversion rate are just that...guesses.

Maybe so, sure I'd seen something from someone reliable though :(

And what you say is so true, why oh why was the stat ever introduced to FM? Its been such a depressing recurring theme for threads ever since.

Maybe Paul can explain why the stat was introduced in the first place.

Even so, I started a game with Messilona (who scores like every 1on1 lately irl), but in my game he rarely scores. His morale is superb and his condition is 100%. Just an example, really wondering if it's supposed to be like this or not.

Maybe so, sure I'd seen something from someone reliable though :(

And what you say is so true, why oh why was the stat ever introduced to FM? Its been such a depressing recurring theme for threads ever since.

I feel the game is very woolly on what it designate as a clear cut chance, but then that leads to the question; What is defined as a clear cut chance? I tend to ignore the CCC stat and judge each chance on its own, you often see that some CCC really arent all that clear cut, whereas some will be absolute sitters.

Its hard to make a comparison with the FM CCC's since the stat itself doesnt exist in real life. As for striker conversion rates i've dug up a few stats on the top finishers from last season (league goals only), these are all comparable to stats that can be found in game:

Edin Dzeko: 22 goals from 153 shots - 14.37% conversion rate; 70 shots on target 31.42% conversion rate

Mamadou Niang: 18 goals from 108 shots - 16.66% conversion rate; 42 shots on target 42.85% conversion rate

Wayne Rooney: 26 goals from 182 shots - 14.28% conversion rate; 58 shots on target 44.83% conversion rate

Didier Drogba: 31 goals from 178 shots - 17.41% conversion rate; 67 shots on target 50.81% conversion rate

Cristiano Ronaldo: 26 goals from 211 shots - 12.32% conversion rate; 94 shots on target 27.66% conversion rate

Gonzalo Higuaín: 27 goals from 198 shots - 13.63% conversion rate; 52 shots on target 51.92% conversion rate

David Villa: 21 goals from 139 shots - 15.10% conversion rate; 61 shots on target 34.43% conversion rate

Lionel Messi: 34 goals from 163 shots - 20.85% conversion rate; 86 shots on target 39.53% conversion rate

Antonio Di Natale: 29 goals from 152 shots - 19.08% conversion rate; 71 shots on target 40.85% conversion rate

Diego Milito: 22 goals from 86 shots - 25.58% conversion rate; 36 shots on target 61.11% conversion rate

Can we assume 20% of those shots are CCC's or is that too much / too less? If so, let's look at Diego Milito:

Diego Milito: 22 goals from 86 shots - 25.58% conversion rate; 36 shots on target 61.11% conversion rate

20% from 86 = 17.2 shots. Ill make it 17 shots total, 20% from 22 goals = 4.4 goals.

So this would mean that the best conversion rate striker from last year scores 1 in 4 average CCC's ?

If this is the case then FM is doing quite well, maybe even too good as my strikes score about 1 in 3 or something.

Just trying something out, as to me CCC's are so vague like themadsheep said. Maybe Paul can clarify as to what is an acceptable conversion rate on CCC's in the game.

Good work themadsheep and DDWZ. I'd say that maybe CCC's could be 25% of chances but even so the numbers do paint a story that doesn't seem to fit with this forums thoughts(sweeping generalisation I know) on CCC's, ie Fernando Torres would never miss one etc.

Like themadsheep I barely pay the stat any attention and judge each chance on its own merits.

The general opinion on these forums are that CCC's should be a goal 90% of the time. Especially strikers with good reputation ie Torres / Messi / Drogba etc.

But if people look closely to the chance which is being named a "Clear Cut Chance" by FM they would notice that most of them are not that easy to score. Ofcourse there are the occasional sitters (clear one on ones).

This is also why I'm posting here. I'm currently in a game with Fiorentina and Im fielding Babacar upfront. 17 finishing, 16 composure, technique 16 + PPM place shots. Looks good right? Only problem is he is missing a lot of the clear one on ones, even against below average goalkeepers with a rating of 10 for one on ones. This is the thing I would love to hear about from Paul if these sitters are happening too much?

If you think about it, how often does a striker get a CLEAR one on one with the opposition goalkeeper? Maybe 1 or 2 per game on average? I think on FM this happens a little too much. What do you guys think ?

The general opinion on these forums are that CCC's should be a goal 90% of the time. Especially strikers with good reputation ie Torres / Messi / Drogba etc.

But if people look closely to the chance which is being named a "Clear Cut Chance" by FM they would notice that most of them are not that easy to score. Ofcourse there are the occasional sitters (clear one on ones).

This is also why I'm posting here. I'm currently in a game with Fiorentina and Im fielding Babacar upfront. 17 finishing, 16 composure, technique 16 + PPM place shots. Looks good right? Only problem is he is missing a lot of the clear one on ones, even against below average goalkeepers with a rating of 10 for one on ones. This is the thing I would love to hear about from Paul if these sitters are happening too much?

If you think about it, how often does a striker get a CLEAR one on one with the opposition goalkeeper? Maybe 1 or 2 per game on average? I think on FM this happens a little too much. What do you guys think ?

i think youve hit the nail on the head there, i personally think the game creates too many chances in games, i guess because its more exciting to watch, if you only used the key highlights setting and there were say 5 chances all game, it would get very boring and games would be over in a few minutes, however in FM most games there will be around 10 chances for each team, if they scored from every what we would think of CCC then games would end up with 8 or 9 goals every game. I think it must be hard finding a balance between this being an exciting game to being very close to real life. I personally think they have it quite good in this version, my strikers miss a few sitters but they create heaps and heaps of chances so over the course of the game you score a believable amount of goals. You will stlil find the top strikers in this game will score the most goals, they just maybe take more shots than we would expect in real life.

Hey Paul, i would like to ask you some questions about 11.2 patch if u don't mind:

1. many people are asking if there will be any changes regarding clear cut chances - I know that strikers can't score 100% of those chances, but the conversion rate is just hilarious - too many shots ends up in goalkeepers hands or wide...it is really annoying that strikers such as defoe or keane (in my tottenham squad) must have 4-5 clear cut chances to score one goal.

2. question regarding free kicks - i played 3 seasons and I scored just one direct free kick - and I have many good free kick takers like bale, van der vaart, kranjcar ....

3. question regarding marking opp. players - I think it's just not work very well - even if I have hard tackling, tight marking on individual players, quick tempo, attacking mentality, man marking...they are just "looking at them and not doing anything". Maybe that's just my lack of tactical knowledge, but it worked very well on FM10's latest patch (I think it was 10.3).

4. question regarding long shots - too many long shots from my midfield players - even when I use "work ball into the box" (or whatever it is called), slower tempo, short passing, disciplined mentality.....

5. too many corners - like 10-15 each game

And one big question - for me, the 10.3. patch was wonderful, I really enjoyed playing the game after that......but FM11 now seems to be like prepatched FM10 with all the bugs .... You had a perfect game ,and I don't know why you didn't leave the match engine alone, add some new stuff (match preparation, contract talks, player interaction etc....).

P. S. I know many people asked you about all those questions already, so sorry for repeating.

And also sorry for my bad english :)

Hey Paul, i would like to ask you some questions about 11.2 patch if u don't mind:

1. many people are asking if there will be any changes regarding clear cut chances - I know that strikers can't score 100% of those chances, but the conversion rate is just hilarious - too many shots ends up in goalkeepers hands or wide...it is really annoying that strikers such as defoe or keane (in my tottenham squad) must have 4-5 clear cut chances to score one goal.

See below post from earlier, and look at the post above it, it seems they are not that far off

Can we assume 20% of those shots are CCC's or is that too much / too less? If so, let's look at Diego Milito:

20% from 86 = 17.2 shots. Ill make it 17 shots total, 20% from 22 goals = 4.4 goals.

So this would mean that the best conversion rate striker from last year scores 1 in 4 average CCC's ?

If this is the case then FM is doing quite well, maybe even too good as my strikes score about 1 in 3 or something.

Just trying something out, as to me CCC's are so vague like themadsheep said. Maybe Paul can clarify as to what is an acceptable conversion rate on CCC's in the game.

it seems that overload is too effective if you start the match with it and it has almost no effect if you change to it for the last 15-10 minutes(no highlights at all).

whats your take on this paul ?

Well my bottom of the league Korean team were 3-1 down at half time - I switched to Overload and we won 5 - 3.

I use overload most of the time now, as my team are hopeless in defence and it's better to have them in the opposing half as much as possible.

Sometimes it works and we score first - but many times it goes wrong and we end up getting hammered. As might be expected.

But if people look closely to the chance which is being named a "Clear Cut Chance" by FM they would notice that most of them are not that easy to score.

For the first point, I'd agree that it should be roughyl a 90% conversion rate on CCCs for world class forwards. A CCC is just that. It's easy, almost a formality. The commentary even says he should have scored, and makes a point of letting you know it is a bad miss. These things don't happen too often and a top striker will put them away more often that not.

And the fact it is classified as a CCC means it is a CCC. It might not look like one to you, but that is because of the graphical limiataitons. The ME is just loads of numbers being crunched. If those numbers churn out a CCC, then it is, regardless of whether the graphical representation makes it look like one.

Match v909

----------

I'd be VERY grateful to know about this too.

Especially how much of an affect playing out of position has. I personally don't think it should effect things much at all. I'm not even sure why it has any impact. I would have thought that any positional stats would be reflected in Positioning and Off the Ball.

For the first point, I'd agree that it should be roughyl a 90% conversion rate on CCCs for world class forwards. A CCC is just that. It's easy, almost a formality. The commentary even says he should have scored, and makes a point of letting you know it is a bad miss. These things don't happen too often and a top striker will put them away more often that not.

And the fact it is classified as a CCC means it is a CCC. It might not look like one to you, but that is because of the graphical limiataitons. The ME is just loads of numbers being crunched. If those numbers churn out a CCC, then it is, regardless of whether the graphical representation makes it look like one.

Real world conversion rates for penalties hover between 80% and 85%. One on ones are converted between 25% and 33%. Shots in space within 12 yards between 20% and 50%.

90% is an illusionary figure you've plucked out of thin air. It is not realistic to expect that kind of conversion rate for any sort of regularly occurring chance type, however good the player is. You really need to bounce off some real world statistical analyses if you want to make such provocative statements.

One more minor thing I've been noticing more and more - when aiming passes, players don't seem to take account of team-mates standing in the way, even those standing right next to them. The result of course is that a number of passes just bounce of a different team-mate than the one to which they were aimed. It would be nice to see the team-mate trying to get out of the way, with those having good anticipation actually leaving the path clear well before the pass is actually played. It would also be good to see the passer taking account of the obstruction and trying to avoid it, maybe choosing another pass if it looks unlikely.

Well my bottom of the league Korean team were 3-1 down at half time - I switched to Overload and we won 5 - 3.

I use overload most of the time now, as my team are hopeless in defence and it's better to have them in the opposing half as much as possible.

Sometimes it works and we score first - but many times it goes wrong and we end up getting hammered. As might be expected.

thats why i said in the last 10,15 minutes it is not effective and very effective if you start with it(in your case you start with it at halftime). try changing to overload for the last 10-15 minutes and see what happens.

No striker in the world will ever have a conversion rate of 90% over the course of a season, not if they are a regular starter in the team.

One more minor thing I've been noticing more and more - when aiming passes, players don't seem to take account of team-mates standing in the way, even those standing right next to them. The result of course is that a number of passes just bounce of a different team-mate than the one to which they were aimed. It would be nice to see the team-mate trying to get out of the way, with those having good anticipation actually leaving the path clear well before the pass is actually played. It would also be good to see the passer taking account of the obstruction and trying to avoid it, maybe choosing another pass if it looks unlikely.

Team Blend would have an effect on this. A poorly-blended team would mean the player who is about to get ball-stitches imprinted on his arse by an attempted killer wouldn't know what's coming, and wouldn't try to get out of the way. Once they're Blended properly, he'd be more apt to anticipate his teammate's intentions, and would try to save himself from a bruise...

Real world conversion rates for penalties hover between 80% and 85%. One on ones are converted between 25% and 33%. Shots in space within 12 yards between 20% and 50%.

90% is an illusionary figure you've plucked out of thin air. It is not realistic to expect that kind of conversion rate for any sort of regularly occurring chance type, however good the player is. You really need to bounce off some real world statistical analyses if you want to make such provocative statements.

From the very introduction of 2D the problem with one on ones has not necessarily been the conversion rate but the amount of them in general. There have always been too many. It's not too much of a stretch to believe that if a world class striker would get clean through 5 times per match in reality they'd be converting at a higher rate. Which is why the amount of missed chances in FM doesn't feel realistic despite the percentages. Add to that the constantly poor positioning by the goalkeepers and completely illogical decision making by the strikers (like shooting it almost sideways into the goalkeeper when all they need to do is poke it goalwards) in the match engine and you have a rather silly looking game in that aspect. The root of the problem is, and always has been the defending (and goalkeeping to an extent).

Well, it depends on exactly how you classify the chance.

I think say David Villa for example, if he had genuine one on one, not much pressure, he is looking to score 90% of the time. He is absolutely world class. He can easily pick his spot, or round the keeper. So can lots of people. Even say Darren Bent can put them away most times. In a a proper one on one this is. So he has a good 5 seconds minimum of time to decide what to do.

In real life, there are fewer CCCs but they are scored more often. Lots of games IRL dont have any CCCs, but can have many goals. But when a CCC does fall to a good player, they will nearly always score, if they are good.

A problem maybe that you get too many CCCs in this FM. But you dont get enough of the other goals being scored. Because IRL I'd say there are lots of half chances, but not very many CCCs. Whereas in FM they are quite evenly distributed.

Archived