Official FM2011 Match Engine Feedback Thread

The time wasting is in my opinion a little bit too extreme. It is seriously frustrating to be one goal down and the opposition goalkeeper spends almost 90 seconds taking a goal kick. I know it can be extreme in real life as well, but 90 sec? Please.

Also a big issue for me is when there is a counterattack and the defender marks thin air instead of tackling the guy with the ball.

• Replies 768
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's more an issue of there being hardly any realistic animations for time-wasting. Irl, there's a number of techniques which are used to waste time. For example, a keeper might suddenly 'need' to tie his laces or will take a goal kick from the opposite side of where the ball went out, trudging to the other side of the 6 yard box to waste a few second. Corners might be taken short and defended in that zone. Players might tumble and roll around at the first sign of a foul etc.

It's a missing piece in the match engine - I doubt it can be rectified for 11.3 tbh...

Another thing which could be fixed is the way free-kicks from deep and wide are defended.

1206569652298015110focadima_Soccer_Fieldsvghi1.png

Free-kicks from highlighted zones in the above (high-tech) image are defended irl by setting a line (usually the line of the goal area) and keeping to it in order to force the opposition taker to play the ball behind the line where either the keeper will catch it or where the attackers won't be able to get enough power in the header to force a goal. Once the kick is taken (or slightly earlier in anticipation) everybody falls back slightly to enable better attacking of the ball. In the game, very often a lone defender or two will stay in or just outside the 6-yard box, keeping the opposition onside and enabling them to be closer to the goal when the ball is delivered in.

I hope the Magnus effect can be fully, and realistically, implemented by FM12 so that free-kick delivery and wall positioning can be improved and that passes with the outside of the foot are finally possible.

Imo also, keeper animations need a bit more variety as do animations in regards to different types of shots; different animations for a shoot with power, a placed shot, a scuffed shot, a chip shot etc

That said, I fully believe these are on PaulC's to-do list already and have full faith in SI providing us with an even more realistic match engine for 11.3 and for FM12

Just to add my £30 worth of view points!!! I have been playing these footy management games for about 13/14 years, never really bothered with feedback on forums etc. BUT this time I am being tested!!!

I usually only buy the management games every couple of years now (because not enough changes in a one season gap for my liking!). This time I feel 'good looks' have been put at the top of the list and Match Engine (as well as other critical functions such as tactics being lost, transfer issues, contract issues etc, all part of a good old footy management game!) has been dumped near the bottom. No way, no way at all, can this game be fully tested by pro's prior to release...otherwise, the faults would have been fixed (or a large portion of them!). It's really quite poor.

Here are my ME gripes:

Defending: Hopless. I think it has been said several times, but it is comical how the defenders cant seem to behave in a realsitic manner. So bad.

Attackers: Easy, simple chances are missed galore (like the much mentioned one on ones where the ball goes everywhere except the back of the net, one goes in every so often), yet the same players can score belters from 25-30 yards...volleys, first time shots etc...looks brill, but proves my original point of looks vs. game play

Dribbling: Maybe linked to the defending issues, but seems a bit too easy to get past defenders, even for very basic attackers.

Like I said, other issues have been put on other parts of the site, and there are more niggles than ever (the latest patch caused more issues with essential gamplay than it solved!!!)

Really bad effort guys, how many more years can you get away with it?????

Hello everyone,

I state that I am not a great creator of tactics, but this month I have happened to the game of all colors or so.

The are several things to improve:

1) When a player makes a roll for the attacker, the defender who is an advantage as it takes possession of the ball stops and it leaves the attacker face to face with the goalkeeper (this happens to me is that down).

2) The CPU is too please, because my type my players lose the ball in midfield and instead of the time the CPU does not happen very often. Even if this happens I have a DREAM TEAM. It is not a matter of condition because the condition of the players is 94% -100%, then the moral before starting the season with wins in friendly on is great.

3) One thing I just can not bear is that small teams are always strong against me, almost. As I wrote about, I'm not a great creator of tactics, but also with my tactics is not always the same, small teams of players sometimes make the sensational play as if Cristiano Ronaldo or Lionel Messi.

4) Another thing that I have often, with any team, I did most of the game with 20 total shots and 15 shots on goal for 5-6 times sharper and the goalkeeper parried everything and more, then The only action I did well attacking goal, which is striking (to me).

5) One thing, though you can change, are also the management of the tactics, because in reality a player makes a lot of things, like: How to attack, how to defend, movements and other things. I see that you are still unable to put a publishing or otherwise on the personal instructions of the player that.

6) If possible, also make a publishing to create patterns for corner kicks, free kicks and throw-ins. Not like that of this year but the movements they have to do the players.

7) If one player to Wayne Rooney who is brought face to face against the goalkeeper for 6-7 times and only 1-2 can to score against goalies also unknown is a little irritating.

8) Last thing at the moment comes to mind is the management of the training because it is not real. We must put a management training which players choose how to train in the morning and afternoon.

For the moment these are the things to improve, then maybe if I can think of something else, come back and write.

I hope I was clear and thanks for your attention,

Ionenum

What I would like to see is replay's for key moments such as penalty-fouls and red card-fouls. Now only the goals (and disallowed ones) are replayed, such as the actual penalty-kick, but not the foul that led to it (which is more interesting then the kick itself I daresay). Still, after a match I get asked about my opinion on a dubious penalty or sending off. But how can I answer that if I didnt see the incident clearly in a slow replay?

BTW: I hardly see any handballs. Are they there at all? I only watch the highlights and dont pay much attention to the text, so I might have missed it.

• 3 weeks later...

At the moment is not possible to play properly with a 3-4-3 or a 3-1-4-2 or a 3-4-1-2 or a 3-5-2. IRL the left and right midfielders are playing as midfielders, in the game not, since they play as defenders and even if I play with a 3-4-3 I end up to have a 5-2-3 on the field. This is a serious issue for all the players that do not want to play with 4 defenders, since it seems impossible to play with 3 defenders. I would like to listen the opinion of other users and someone from SI about it...

• SI Staff

Match v915

----------

- Fixed 2 farly obscure bugs causing keepers to stray out of position at bad moments

- Improved keeper behaviour as corner or cross comes in

- Fixed keepers being overpowered on some point blank save attempts

- Fixed CCC being registered for some chances where a defender is goalside and close to shooting player

- Tried to make players head for goal a little more directly when dribbling close to opposition goal

- Fixed some players continuing to mark passing player when ball is in their danger zone and passer isnt

- Fine tuned difficulty of longer range shots, and shots taken at pace

Match v916

----------

- Fine tuned keeper behaviour at corners

- Fine tuned marking at set pieces

- Reduced multiple players going for same ball when defending set pieces

- Reduced instances of players missing headers badly

- Toned down tight man marking by defenders of players who have dropped deep

- Rebalanced number of shirt tugs vs trips

- Stopped midfield dropping back too close to defence too quickly when defending

- Fixed some examples of players dallying when moving to intercept loose ball

- Made players less fearful of offside when moving forward to support ball carrier

- Fixed player putting ball out of play for injury when there is a realistic chance of someone putting it into the net

- Fine tuned far post corner delivery

- Fine tuned shot choice for better players

- Tweaked "expected result" for FML matches

Match v917

----------

- Improved player marking at set pieces

- Improved AI use of full backs and wing backs

- Small tweak to make defenders cover their team mates a bit more willingly

- Fixed centre halves bombing forward ahead of full backs when team starts counter attack

- Fixed instances of players getting in way of free kick taking team mate

- Fixed issue with players not being recognised as clean through caused by 915 change

- Made players more conscious of getting ball onto best foot

- Some small general tweaks to on ball decision making

- Improved placed finish choice of corner to aim at

- Improved show onto weak foot AI when marking ball player

- Reduced red cards given for professional foul when there is possibly a covering player

Match v918

----------

- Fine tuned passing choice AI

- Fine tuned shot choice

- Fine tuned calculation of CCC's when shooting from an angle

- Fixed occasional bug causing keeper to make save in bizarre direction

- Make full backs generally get forward a little more willingly

- Fixed further and worse instances of players getting in way of freekick taking team mate

- Some fixes to marking of player carrying ball

- Fine tuned general marking AI

- Very small tweak to intercepting of ball AI

- Fixed very rare bug where player would stop engaging ball player to push up field

- Slightly narrowed D-line further in and around own area

Match v919

----------

- Small tweak to player momentum when fouled

- Further adjustment to full backs to stop them going forward too early when ball in own area and hence making it hard for keeper distribution

- Small change to facing direction when player makes run off ball

- Made players slightly more willing to turn on ball

So far.....anyway.

i know its only a so far list but can you confirm wing play is at least being looked at please ? its been shocking since fm 2005

meaning the whole wingers hitting fullbacks way too much, refusing to cross from byline properly and strikers losing too many headers to smaller players etc

cheers

I really hope that CCC conversion will be improved. Here what i think, probably some of these have been already mentioned or even fixed in the upcoming patch, then sorry:

1) penalty conversion rate (~68%) is too low imo. I think irl it's somewhat ~85%. I think this has something to do with shooting being bad overall, as sometimes you see world class players shooting in absolutely bizarre directions.

2) It sometimes happens that a player seems to have no idea what to do, turn around with the ball and wait till the opposite defender kicks the ball away from him.

3) The corner taker is in offside position in 99% of the time if the ball is cleared from the penalty box after the corner and is passed to him right after that.

4) Sometimes players get yellow cards for absolutely pointless fouls, when, for example, we are leading 4-0 and our attacker fouls on their midfielder on 92nd minute, gets a yellow card and misses a cup final.

5) Players dribble past defenders very easily and defenders make stupid decisions, like when 3 defenders choose to close down 1 attacker leaving winger absolutely alone.

Yeah i think the overall game has massively improved but the overall control of Match engine and realisticness has got worse, as Defenders just dont defend, the best i have seen on the match engine is football manager 2005, as the defending used to be good and the players used to actually listen to your instructions, as i find in 2010 and 2011 just impossible to control.

Also what i find annoying is say you have a cup match and i pick the players to be involved and want some backups to get some match day, then goto match but say go on holiday so i see result and performance, i see that the manager has subbed the main fringe players eg at Brighton players like Baz a left midfielder, Battipiedi and then my goalkeeper brezavanan sometimes in 4th minute, come on never occurs and others all at half time.

If i pick the team i want to play when put on holiday that the assistant doesnt take off players i picked, as i am the manager, if happened in real life would be fired, you expect your assistant to play them at least until half time unless disaster eg 3-0 down, or to take off on how badly playing in that specific game.

Also the defending is dreadful in this and i have stopped playing as soo frustrating until new download.

So my main problems and i have bought every game since champ manager 1,

but i like to play the game on reallsticness.

1 - too many high scoring games - 0-0 happens a lot and managers like defences to be tight.

2 - Assistant when put in charge takes players off in 4th minute or all at half time not looking on performances in game, as manager i like to give promising or upcoming players a chance but when go on holiday the assistant thinks otherwise eg i will waste a sub on 4 minutes.

3 - Defending and stupid closing down - awful

To me the rest of the game is brillant, the graphics is brill but the match engine is pretty poor and this is how play game as i dont find tactics use is listened too like football manager 2005 match thread did listen to what want.

I just basically quit playing FM because of the Transfer System, and the ridiculous match engine.

Anyway, besides the obvious missing penaltys, clear cut chances issues, I was conceding a lot of goals by FKs (not exactly from 25, 30 years away, but defensive ones). That, and GKs passing right trough the forwards, because of the opposite defenders, that basically do nothing. Even if they have the mentality set to defensive/ultra defensive, and in the FKs case, id they're set to mark a man, they just let him, quite clearly, unmarked.

Here's a SS illustrating a situation that happens quite often (defensive FK):

rkr85k.jpg

*I set all my 3 defenders (nr. 5, 23 and 29) and the defensive midfielder (nr. 8) to "mark a man" in defensive FKs, but as you can clearly seen, they let nr. 27 and specially the 30 unmarked (and all the midfielder section and right side, pretty much). Don't need to say what happened in that FK, I believe.

I just basically quit playing FM because of the Transfer System, and the ridiculous match engine.

Anyway, besides the obvious missing penaltys, clear cut chances issues, I was conceding a lot of goals by FKs (not exactly from 25, 30 years away, but defensive ones). That, and GKs passing right trough the forwards, because of the opposite defenders, that basically do nothing. Even if they have the mentality set to defensive/ultra defensive, and in the FKs case, id they're set to mark a man, they just let him, quite clearly, unmarked.

Here's a SS illustrating a situation that happens quite often (defensive FK):

rkr85k.jpg

*I set all my 3 defenders (nr. 5, 23 and 29) and the defensive midfielder (nr. 8) to "mark a man" in defensive FKs, but as you can clearly seen, they let nr. 27 and specially the 30 unmarked (and all the midfielder section and right side, pretty much). Don't need to say what happened in that FK, I believe.

Actually I think the Defensive Set Piece settings only apply to Direct/Indirect FKs around your own area i.e. FKs that would require a wall to be formed in real life.

Agree with you that it's an issue though, especially since we have no control over marking in this case.

Actually I think the Defensive Set Piece settings only apply to Direct/Indirect FKs around your own area i.e. FKs that would require a wall to be formed in real life.

We don't even know what kind of FK we're in, by default, there are usually 2 players in the wall, so, it's not a direct FK, at least, ~30yards aways, on the center. No matter what, the players don't even do what is configured, so that's about it.

Agree with you that it's an issue though, especially since we have no control over marking in this case.

It's quite "stupid" that we have the detail to do a "match preparation", but yet we don't have the option to set the piece taker, in indirect FKs, direct FKs ~30yards away, etc.

In this case we can't even set how the players will defend the FK, and by default, as anyone can see, they "defend" very, very poorly. I just can't play like this, this is probably the FM with more bugs, ever.

Seeing that made my day, it's been bothering me more and more!

It's long overdue I just hate seeing Messi cut inside from the right in a perfect situation to use his better left foot only to see him blast it wide with his right foot.

At the moment especially wingers seem to favor always the foot that matches the wing they play at meaning left wingers will usually shoot with their left foot and right wingers will usually shoot with their right foot.

Kind of annoying since it somehow makes playing inside forwards useless.

Another thing that you might want to look into is the fact that the CBs never seam to pick up players that move into the hole if the FB gets high up the pitch they always wait until the player gets the ball before the pick him up which is kind of unrealistic, no defender in the world let's a striker just stand out wide and wait for the pass to get to him.

One thing that needs fixing:

"Hug touchline" - Setting this on a central defender og central midfielder doesn't work properly.

The ME has invisible horizontal and vertical borders where the horizontal borders (defence, DM, mid, AM, Attack) can be passed by the setting "forward runs" making players go from for example midfield to a position in attack.

You would think the vertical borders (left, center, right) could be passed in the same way by "cut inside" and "hug touchline", yet only "cut inside" seems to works (letting wide players move towards the center). The "hug touchline" doesn't work, but imo it should allow for central players to take up a wide® positions.

It is especially apparant if you want a 3-man defence to take up wider positions during attack.

Is this something that is ever gonna be fixed?

One thing that needs fixing:

"Hug touchline" - Setting this on a central defender og central midfielder doesn't work properly.

The ME has invisible horizontal and vertical borders where the horizontal borders (defence, DM, mid, AM, Attack) can be passed by the setting "forward runs" making players go from for example midfield to a position in attack.

You would think the vertical borders (left, center, right) could be passed in the same way by "cut inside" and "hug touchline", yet only "cut inside" seems to works (letting wide players move towards the center). The "hug touchline" doesn't work, but imo it should allow for central players to take up a wide® positions.

It is especially apparant if you want a 3-man defence to take up wider positions during attack.

Is this something that is ever gonna be fixed?

Why would you want a central defender to be hugging touchline ??

Why would you want a central defender to be hugging touchline ??

In a 3 man defence, while building up play from goalkeeper, you want your left/right central defenders to go wide. The idea is the left/right central defenders go wide to push up the wing backs to wingers. This puts pressure on the opposing team by pushing more players forward, adding more passing options and stretches the defending team very wide. It's even used with 2 central defenders, where you pull the DM back to start the build up. It's beginning to become a more common way to build up play. Barcelona uses it, some dutch clubs use it and so does the danish national team.

Another obvious use of "hug touchline" is when you apply 3 central midfielders and want the widest ones to go wider during attack.

Unfortunately the "hug touchline" doesn't work properly for central players, which is a damn shame!

I don't know if this has been mentioned but the crossing in my game seems to be woeful. I like to check the analysis after losing games and i always find that maybe 20 crosses have been made by my AML and none or maybe 1 have been successful. I have tried various tactical changes and none seem to make any difference and i seem to just have to settle to telling my wingers to cross the ball rarely and try and score through other means, which i think is a bit rubbish seeing as crossing seems to be one of the main sources of scoring in British leagues.

I am in my second season with Huddersfield and am currently in the championship, i have Ross Wallace out on the left with a 16 for crossing and has very good mental stats (creativity, decision etc.) and big Jon Daly (16 for heading and strength, and 15 for jumping) in the middle in an attacking 4-5-1 formation. Even when set to crossing rarely Walllace still seems to put about 14 failed crosses iin the box. I have told him to only aim at the target man(Daly) and still with little success. As i said above i'll have to play differently now which is a shame because their no better goal in my opinion that your target man drilling a header into the net.

P.S. I have also noticed that even when setting team instructions to float crosses, my team still seems to want to drill them along the ground. Creative freedom is set to normal in my game, and i don't want to set it to little as Wallace has very good creativity stats as do a lot of my more attacking players, but surely they should be floating some of the crosses.

Generally, my impression is that SI doesn't work on ME as much as they should, as it's (for me) the synonym of Football Manager. they allowed themselves to be in very uncomfortably situation due to complexity and too much variables / fuzzy components which should interact to get the final result in ME. Last year, just like this year, the game was /will be playable after third patch. More tuning and testing is needed, because it's not acceptable. I am, myself a perfectionist, and to have too much ccc missed, just to get a balanced results, isn't good enough. Expected more from them and hope it will be after this patch.

Generally, my impression is that SI doesn't work on ME as much as they should, as it's (for me) the synonym of Football Manager. they allowed themselves to be in very uncomfortably situation due to complexity and too much variables / fuzzy components which should interact to get the final result in ME. Last year, just like this year, the game was /will be playable after third patch. More tuning and testing is needed, because it's not acceptable. I am, myself a perfectionist, and to have too much ccc missed, just to get a balanced results, isn't good enough. Expected more from them and hope it will be after this patch.

Agreed. Unfortunately it seems to be the same every year. I don't mind SI making a lot of cash, but it would be nice, if they stopped releasing a game that is not working properly until half a year after release. I also think the ME is the single most important thing about FM and it seems to be neglected for all these new features, which are nice, but could be added at a slower pace to be sure the game and in particular the ME works well at release.

Clearly the match engine is nowhere near realistic. On the last page, Paul said he "thinks" that 80% of shots are long shots. What do you mean you think? Isn't your job to make sure the match engine reflects reality?

If you look at the analysis page and see who's taking the long shots, then reduce the culprits long shots to rarely it should fix this problem. I had a similar problem but my play is much better because of this change.

Match v915

----------

- Fixed 2 farly obscure bugs causing keepers to stray out of position at bad moments

- Improved keeper behaviour as corner or cross comes in

- Fixed keepers being overpowered on some point blank save attempts

- Fixed CCC being registered for some chances where a defender is goalside and close to shooting player

- Tried to make players head for goal a little more directly when dribbling close to opposition goal

- Fixed some players continuing to mark passing player when ball is in their danger zone and passer isnt

- Fine tuned difficulty of longer range shots, and shots taken at pace

Match v916

----------

- Fine tuned keeper behaviour at corners

- Fine tuned marking at set pieces

- Reduced multiple players going for same ball when defending set pieces

- Reduced instances of players missing headers badly

- Toned down tight man marking by defenders of players who have dropped deep

- Rebalanced number of shirt tugs vs trips

- Stopped midfield dropping back too close to defence too quickly when defending

- Fixed some examples of players dallying when moving to intercept loose ball

- Made players less fearful of offside when moving forward to support ball carrier

- Fixed player putting ball out of play for injury when there is a realistic chance of someone putting it into the net

- Fine tuned far post corner delivery

- Fine tuned shot choice for better players

- Tweaked "expected result" for FML matches

Match v917

----------

- Improved player marking at set pieces

- Fixed centre halves bombing forward ahead of full backs when team starts counter attack

- Fixed instances of players getting in way of free kick taking team mate

- Fixed issue with players not being recognised as clean through caused by 915 change

- Made players more conscious of getting ball onto best foot

- Some small general tweaks to on ball decision making

- Improved placed finish choice of corner to aim at

- Improved show onto weak foot AI when marking ball player

- Reduced red cards given for professional foul when there is possibly a covering player

Match v918

----------

- Fine tuned passing choice AI

- Fine tuned shot choice

- Fine tuned calculation of CCC's when shooting from an angle

- Fixed occasional bug causing keeper to make save in bizarre direction

- Fixed further and worse instances of players getting in way of freekick taking team mate

- Some fixes to marking of player carrying ball

- Fine tuned general marking AI

- Very small tweak to intercepting of ball AI

- Fixed very rare bug where player would stop engaging ball player to push up field

Match v919

----------

- Small tweak to player momentum when fouled

- Further adjustment to full backs to stop them going forward too early when ball in own area and hence making it hard for keeper distribution

- Small change to facing direction when player makes run off ball

So far.....anyway.

Download link?

Agreed. Unfortunately it seems to be the same every year. I don't mind SI making a lot of cash, but it would be nice, if they stopped releasing a game that is not working properly until half a year after release. I also think the ME is the single most important thing about FM and it seems to be neglected for all these new features, which are nice, but could be added at a slower pace to be sure the game and in particular the ME works well at release.

The release it like this because people buy it.

Now now let's not get this good thread closed for a sake of a good moan.

Back on topic. Paul, any thoughts on whether a Deep-lying forward on Support and an Advanced Forward on Attack (quite a standard tactic) should have a mentality split of 7 under Standard Match Strategy?

That seems a bit big and seemed to result in the 2 forwards not linking up well enough.

Actually someone in the Tactics forum said that even under the Fluid philosophy there is a mentality split in the 2 forwards

when we always thought that Fluid = everyone on the same mentality.

Is this a bug?

Now now let's not get this good thread closed for a sake of a good moan.

Back on topic. Paul, any thoughts on whether a Deep-lying forward on Support and an Advanced Forward on Attack (quite a standard tactic) should have a mentality split of 7 under Standard Match Strategy?

That seems a bit big and seemed to result in the 2 forwards not linking up well enough.

Actually someone in the Tactics forum said that even under the Fluid philosophy there is a mentality split in the 2 forwards

when we always thought that Fluid = everyone on the same mentality.

Is this a bug?

you're thinking of very fluid philosophy on the last bit i think

Haha agreed. Also about the 5 minutes of my life wasted watching the physio SLOWLY walk to the injured player and administering treatment then slowly ambling off the field. Grr!

The best ones are when the team have a penalty claim turned down and the camera centres on the ref for about 20 minutes. Especially since none of the players on the park give a ****.

Thats a thing i dont get they said from when this game was brought out that was realistic like being a football manager, well its not on the match, as what you tell the defenders especially they never listen, you tell them ultra defensive or to not close down and they then run out and close down which makes a ball through into open man bang goal.

The defending is sooooo annoying, might as well not have defenders, i know some people like loads of goals but i used to love this game when was more 0-0's as meant defence played well and have to work for your goals.

Why cant we have a option in the game maybe so if people can change the defensive skills and attacking skills so then can control how open want match play.

Im not playing the game again as not much fun in matchs, i havent really played much since 2005 game.

PLEASE sort this out on next update as im seriousally debating not buying the game again as every year i waste money and seems to get worse the match engine.

In my opinion one of the biggest problem of the ME is : the Header frequency and the header distance.

I try to explain better: If you use a High defence line and the off-side tactic its happen too often that, when the goalkeeper launch the ball away, the central defender of the other team hit the ball with an header making the ball travel for 40 meters in the direction of my penalty area...and so the striker can present itself one vs one against my goalkeeper!

In real football game when a player make an header...the ball will travel 5-10 meters away from him...not 40-50 meters! Is't the entire physic of the "ball hit by an head" that is wrong!

In fm ME you can see 6-7 cosecutive header with the ball travelling around the pitch for several meters without touching the ground but only touching player's heads! Is not real!

This has actually been happening in my favour but since the patch i'm noticing a lot of goals and chances created by a Long goal kick from the AI, i win the header on midfield and my striker is completly clear on goal.. i know it happens IRL but i'm seeing it every other match, is it happening to anyone else?
ive noticed it, happens when the AI plays a high line against you, especially on the bigger pitches, i have rooney and hernandez who are no slouches for pace, and they are quickly away

Yes...this was the point i'm trying to explain! But, in my case, I'am the one with the high line. And I don't thik that IRL a header from a central defender can let a striker completly clear on gol (with the ball passing all the midfield...all the defence...and hit the ground near the area!) Not so often!!!

I have to say it's a pleasure to finally see these tweaks are to be made:

I've been observing the match engine performance for quite a time and hold the opinion that a game without a near perfect match engine is not

good game. I'm happy to see the abovechanges to be made which I think are among the most obvious problems I've had with ME and FM for

recent years. In previous versions like FM2009 I think the D-line narrowing is done great and in FM03or 04 I don't quite remember now the attacking movement and teammate supportingis good. As for FM2011 I must say the ME is good and stable compared to previous FMs although there's some obvious problems exist. I don't want to be harsh onSI since their effort is to make a great Football mangement game ever, so I don't wish to get replies such as: it's your tactics. Come on, man, give it a break.

I'd like to add on several things that imho that would make the matches more realistic and enjoyable to watch. Forget about tactics, players should be able to do obvious thing on the pitch.I'm not saying tactics is not important. Some areas could be improved that is not related to tactics much. It's about players' decision-making. (some might be a little duplicate of what PaulC had listed and is already being done now or to be)

1. generally improve teammate's supporting when attacking especially when playing in slow tempo (players should make intelligent decisions to come closer to provide passing options thus enrich attacking styles)

2. generally improve player's dribbling decisions (when there's no defender neaby player should be more willing to the ball forward determinedly and while his speed is accelerating he might choose to try to run past opponent defender since he's at a rather hight speed already.)

3. good dribblers with high agility and flair should be able to change running directions quickly with ball and tries to beat man repeatedly.(can be combined with 2)

4. add random results of heading when two players compete jumping for high ball (current heading is always too clear cut and precise)

5. generally improve off-ball movement especially on an counter-attack

6. mprove passing options in wide areas, take more advantage of huge spaces behind opposition's def-lines. Make through balls more through and ahead for wingers or full backs to run onto.

7. generally tweak the whole teams movements when ball passed to flanks

8. further tweak to make full back more willing to run forward and use the spaces in wide areas especially when tactics tells him to do so and meanwhile his teammates such as DM/MC/DCs should cover for him a little. (this should be done together with defensive movements when ball is at flanks just like point 7 says)

Something I've been noticing quite frequently of late...

If a long ball is played over the defence, and a defender turns around to chase it while heading towards his own goal, even if he's in plenty of space one of the following happens an awful lot:

1) He does that weird 'jerk back' motion in the air, allowing an attacker to catch up. It just looks ********.

2) Slows down as he approaches the ball, allowing the attacker a chance to catch up.

3) Completely miscontrols the ball.

And if the defender does manage to take control of the ball, more often than not a striker will then dispossess him immediately.

The game seems to ridiculously weighted towards attackers.

Not sure if this comes under the match engine. Like to talk about animations. Still think that in certain instances some of the animations need to be looked at. when a player picks the ball up and starts doing step overs and the nearest defender is 20 yards away, don't really see the need to do it then. Also, same with the multiple body swerve. Why would a player do one when he has a lot of space to move into and there's no defenders near him? I could understand if a defender was fairly close by.

I'm thinking if these fixes can solve annoying 3-men defence issue.

If not, I hope that some specific fixes will be added.

:)

Archived