'Official' Football Manager 2011 Boxed Version Purchasing and Delivery Discussion

• Replies 914
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hmm, play.com nearly had me with the free mouse, but its clearly small and crappy, so i think i'll pass.

currently its £27.99 at game.com, as a download, with the same free games as steam. has anyone downloaded from game before? just wondered if it works like steam.

i was always very anti-steam, but i recently got Civ5 on there and its been great. so simple

Forgive my ignorance but everywhere I read people are slagging steam off, I'm giving them a go for the demo and (if succesfull) going to do it for the game as well, It just seems the easiest way to get the game on the 5th Nov, why has steam got such a bad name on here?

If I were to speculate, I think FM has a customer base of which a large portion doesn't do much gaming outside of FM, so for them Steam is something extra they need just for FM as opposed to a convenient platform for all their PC gaming. That's already a bad start. If they then run into any kind of problem with Steam, big or small, it's a problem they have just because of this unnecessary extra thing, which comes off as complicating things for no good reason, and there you go; Steam gets a bad name.

A lot of people who are new to Steam obviously like it as well, but when things go wrong I think it's a compounded negative effect.

I like Steam and have bought quite a few games off there. However, I have every CM/FM game since CM2 boxed, so I kind of want the physical box to add to the collection! If you could buy it on Steam, download on release day, and they'll send you the disk in the post later, I'd do that, haha.

I was looking on dbgamez.com and it has an American store where you can pre order it for $35.74 but i don't know how much shipping or anything like that is?

I just went to dbgamez.com and added FM11 to shopping cart and then chose the cheapest shipping, the total came out to only $33.12 (£21.08). That's the cheapest price I've seen by far.

Have the people who have ordered with Shopto paid for the pre-order straight away or waited until they have it in stock?

Also, do Shopto just take the money out if your account without warning when they have it in stock?

I havent pre-paid, although i have done with them in past. They'll request the money from your bank soon as it comes in stock, no warnings you'll just get an email saying "Youre card has been charged awaiting dispatch etc" or "payment refused" or words to that effect. And i spoke to them Monday (25th October) and the person I spoke to said they are expecting stock in next Monday (Nov 1st), or Tuesday at the latest

I know there's already a preorder thread so i apologise in advance. But i just wanted to know who here preordered from zavvi this year. it's my first year preordering it and i went with zavvi,just not really sure how reliable they are. I'm in Dublin by the way,not sure whether i'd get it on release day.

I havent pre-paid, although i have done with them in past. They'll request the money from your bank soon as it comes in stock, no warnings you'll just get an email saying "Youre card has been charged awaiting dispatch etc" or "payment refused" or words to that effect. And i spoke to them Monday (25th October) and the person I spoke to said they are expecting stock in next Monday (Nov 1st), or Tuesday at the latest

Thanks Rick, very informative.

Has it been confirmed that if we do receive our copy early, we'll be able to register/play straight away? Even if before 5th November?

I've pre-ordered mine online, if it gets posted and arrives, say, 4th November, will I be able to play on the 4th? Or will I have to wait until 00:00 on 5th?

Thanks.

Bit hard pressed trying to decide which is the better option:

1) Pre-order from Steam - guarenteed download on the release.

2) Order the box itself from an online store and save a few quid - but maybe miss out a day or two.

Meh, probably going to just go with Steam I'm sure.

I think anyone pre-ordering the game is taking a major risk! what if yo dont get your game on release day or the postman doesnt arrive till like 4pm... it will just do your head in.. Id rather jst pay £10 more for less hastle n gettin it when ya want to :)

Although I almost pre-ordered football manager 2010 from game last year as they offered a free football manager notepad with it!!

I have preordered it from zavvi. Had to do it since my 10% discount runs out at the end of the month :). Since im from Slovenia i dont expect it to arrive by release day, but so far everything i ordered from them has been sent before the release day so you might get lucky.

Last year it was £18 and free delivery, so I got it from there. Sadly it came about 3 days late for me. This year it was £25 or so, and I've decided to pre-order from shopto.net as a lot of people get theres on or before release date :)

I've looked around the sites and I think I'll be pre-ordering the game from ShopTo.net after all. They guarantee delivery on the 5th in more ways than one. They're also a few quid cheaper than most other retailers. Steam would be the second option but I want the physical box in my collection.

Forgive my ignorance but everywhere I read people are slagging steam off, I'm giving them a go for the demo and (if succesfull) going to do it for the game as well, It just seems the easiest way to get the game on the 5th Nov, why has steam got such a bad name on here?

Remember that a handful of people slagging off Steam on a football manager website doesn't represent the overall global consensus. Millions of people happily use Steam on a daily basis

Archived