The Let us Laugh at England thread

Pires777

The population argument will always be there, but I'm afraid it's a loose argument at best. As Suge says, Slovenia are an excellent case study, as are Holland with their population of around 16m. Despite this, they are widely regarded as the best team never to have won the World Cup.

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But are most successful at football, correct?

Yes, by far.

The only country in South America (not counting the Guyanas) that is better at other sport than football is Venezuela. Peru though had a lot of success with volleyball in the 1970s/1980s or so.

Yes, by far.

The only country in South America (not counting the Guyanas) that is better at other sport than football is Venezuela. Peru though had a lot of success with volleyball in the 1970s/1980s or so.

Brazil are fb at volleyball, very successful there, is it the 2nd most successful sport in Brazil behind football?

Brazil are fb at volleyball, very successful there, is it the 2nd most successful sport in Brazil behind football?

No, volleyball is the most successful sport here before football. :thup:

Before the 1980s though Brazil wasn't that great, then we had the "silver generation" of the 1980s who brought us a silver medal, and we established ourselves as the main power with the Olympic title in 1992 (that was the "golden generation").

Bernardinho is by far our best manager in any sport.

This success in volleyball also caused a shift in the population of volleyball and basketball here, as until the 1980s basketball was the second most popular sport, but volleyball surpassed it and is now comfortably the second sport here.

I don't know why volleyball is so underrated in some other countries like the UK... :(

No, volleyball is the most successful sport here before football. :thup:

Before the 1980s though Brazil wasn't that great, then we had the "silver generation" of the 1980s who brought us a silver medal, and we established ourselves as the main power with the Olympic title in 1992 (that was the "golden generation").

Bernardinho is by far our best manager in any sport.

This success in volleyball also caused a shift in the population of volleyball and basketball here, as until the 1980s basketball was the second most popular sport, but volleyball surpassed it and is now comfortably the second sport here.

I don't know why volleyball is so underrated in some other countries like the UK... :(

I know about Brazil winning loads of Olympic medals and winning plenty of World Championships (Beating us on many occasion :( ) But I thought that due to the popularity of football, maybe the success in volleyball was overlooked somewhat

I know about Brazil winning loads of Olympic medals and winning plenty of World Championships (Beating us on many occasion :( ) But I thought that due to the popularity of football, maybe the success in volleyball was overlooked somewhat

It's not overlooked at all, although it will obviously always have less hype than ordinary football titles.

You are Dutch, right?

Nope, Serbian.

I had the feeling you were Dutch as I had seen you posting in some Dutch related thread. :D

Being Serbian, you must remember well then when Brazil beat Serbia in the World League final last year. :cool:

I had the feeling you were Dutch as I had seen you posting in some Dutch related thread. :D

Being Serbian, you must remember well then when Brazil beat Serbia in the World League final last year. :cool:

Don't remind me :(

Was an agonizing defeat, but I have gotten used to getting beaten by Brazil in volleyball :p

oh no. england are out.

what a shame

I CAN BUY A NEWSPAPER AGAIN NOW! wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh

I'd give it a few days first. They'll probs keep harping on about the disallowed goal for about a week and then another week or two about how Capello is an unfit manager.

Glad they went out as the media hype and talk of the pundits before WC Games (even games England aren't remotely involved in) was insane.

Guest roberto922

I think the point bluebird is trying to make is that due to rugby being hugely popular here, a good sized chunk of our top athletes end up going in to rugby, meaning that we don't get as many coming in to football.

I think that's ********, tbh. The participation levels in rugby and cricket are a fraction of that of football. Very few players with the natural talent to eventually make any difference to the national team would abandon football for other sports.

Guest roberto922
I think that's ********, tbh. The participation levels in rugby and cricket are a fraction of that of football. Very few players with the natural talent to eventually make any difference to the national team would abandon football for other sports.

Not in Wales. There's a reason our diddy country has been one of the best in the world for decades.

Dont hate England in any kind of xenophobic "small country syndrome" sense. Its the media hype I cant stand. All this E.A.S.Y. group bollocks followed by the grim reality. This fake rivalry with Germany for instance. Its as much a rivalry as us Welsh have with England. Germany are far far better but the media set yourselves up for a fall everytime.

We will lose to England. Of course we will. There are more people in Birmingham than in Wales but at the same time, we don't make out like it will be any different.

I'll be waiting for a while before I read a Sun headline along the lines of "GERMANY WERE BETTER THAN US"...

Was just watching the reaction on BBC News 24, female reporter "man for man we are better than them"

now lets see

James v Neuer - Neuer wins

Johnson v Lahm - Lahm wins

Cole v Boateng - Draw/Cole just edges it

Terry v Mertesacker - Mertesacker wins

Upson v Friedrich - Friedrich wins

Barry v Khedira - Khedira wins

Lampard v Schweinsteiger - Schweinsteiger wins

Gerrard v Ozil - Ozil wins

Milner v Poldolski - Poldolski wins

Rooney v Klose - Klose wins

Defoe v Muller - Muller wins

:D

I thought that as well - the pundits were saying that only 1 or 2 of the Germans would get in, and I thought of 5 straight away I'd rather have...

Was just watching the reaction on BBC News 24, female reporter "man for man we are better than them"

now lets see

James v Neuer - Neuer wins

Johnson v Lahm - Lahm wins

Cole v Boateng - Draw/Cole just edges it

Terry v Mertesacker - Mertesacker wins

Upson v Friedrich - Friedrich wins

Barry v Khedira - Khedira wins

Lampard v Schweinsteiger - Schweinsteiger wins

Gerrard v Ozil - Ozil wins

Milner v Poldolski - Poldolski wins

Rooney v Klose - Klose wins

Defoe v Muller - Muller wins

:D

You're not far wrong, but Ashley Cole is a lot better than Boateng. Also, you should swap Muller and Podolski for your comparisons. Lampard and Schweinsteiger are about level tbf. Ozil is still young but I'd be more excited watching him play than Gerrard in fairness.

Terry and Mertesacker are about level too, there's not a great deal to choose between them.

Rooney v Klose: hard to disagree with you there, on international goalscoring records alone.

Neuer v James: Neuer has mistakes in him. I don't think he's significantly better than James at all and could prove to be Germany's weak point against Argentina.

But yeah, was a horrifically cringeworthy comment from the reporter.

You're not far wrong, but Ashley Cole is a lot better than Boateng. Also, you should swap Muller and Podolski for your comparisons. Lampard and Schweinsteiger are about level tbf. Ozil is still young but I'd be more excited watching him play than Gerrard in fairness.

Terry and Mertesacker are about level too, there's not a great deal to choose between them.

Rooney v Klose: hard to disagree with you there, on international goalscoring records alone.

Neuer v James: Neuer has mistakes in him. I don't think he's significantly better than James at all and could prove to be Germany's weak point against Argentina.

Based on yesterday Terry<<<<<<<*

Based on yesterday Terry<<<<<<<*

Yeah but I'm basing it on more than just one game.

Wales World Cup 'record' copied from Wikipedia

Brazil 1950 Did not qualify

Switzerland 1954 Did not qualify

Sweden 1958 Quarter-finals

Chile 1962 Did not qualify

England 1966 Did not qualify

Mexico 1970 Did not qualify

West Germany 1974 Did not qualify

Argentina 1978 Did not qualify

Spain 1982 Did not qualify

Mexico 1986 Did not qualify

Italy 1990 Did not qualify

United States 1994 Did not qualify

France 1998 Did not qualify

South KoreaJapan 2002 Did not qualify

Germany 2006 Did not qualify

South Africa 2010 Did not qualify

Yeah, England just so laughable :D

England have a significantly larger pool of talent to choose from (allegedly at least). And I wouldn't be so smug given the crop of youngsters they (Wales) have coming through.

United States 1994 Did not qualify

France 1998 Did not qualify

South KoreaJapan 2002 Did not qualify

Germany 2006 Did not qualify

South Africa 2010 Did not qualify

Yeah, England just so laughable :D

Yes, England are extremely laughable and the Welsh record makes no difference whatever to it. Man up and take your beating and the slagging that goes with it.

Erm, I'm not the smug one in this thread, that would be the bitter Welsh and Scots.

But to bring up the qualification record of a team infinitesimally smaller than England's in terms of the pool of players available to them just serves to make England fans look as arrogant as Wales and Scotland fans believe them to be.

I'm starting to believe that smallmind or smallclone or whatever his name is has a point about England and their fans and media.