The Let us Laugh at England thread

Pires777

Guest roberto922
overall england had good talent; they made a good qualifying; france and italy were on the way out; the world considered them (alongside spain), the main contenders before the WC started.

Brazil....

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply
See, this is what I was trying to say yesterday when I told the mod, can't remembered his name now, that he had opened a can of worms.

Already in this thread there have been remarks made that wales will beat England in the euro qualifiers and that How long do we think a thread will stay open if England beat Wales in the qualifiers and the thread is titled 'The lets laugh at Wales thread'?

Look, we were abysmal. I must admit that I thought we could reach the quater finals, and then from there you always have a chance if luck and an injury free squad is on your side. But this tread is just designed to wind up England fans IMO. The title and OP tell you that.

And I've already told you there's no can of worms being opened here. It's a much smaller rival nation taking the mick out of England fans. Even as an England fan myself I can see that England fans should get used to a bit of mickey taking.

As I said before, it'd have been much worse if the England thread was peppered with inflammatory comments about how rubbish England were. Undeniably, it's better to keep them all in a seperate thread. And besides, some decent debate has sprung out of this thread, and England deserved a bit of joshing after their performance.

And I've already told you there's no can of worms being opened here. It's a much smaller rival nation taking the mick out of England fans. Even as an England fan myself I can see that England fans should get used to a bit of mickey taking.

As I said before, it'd have been much worse if the England thread was peppered with inflammatory comments about how rubbish England were. Undeniably, it's better to keep them all in a seperate thread. And besides, some decent debate has sprung out of this thread, and England deserved a bit of joshing after their performance.

So it will be ok to open threads like this in the future then?

This thread has been good, it has proved that not all England fans are deluded numptys who are sucked in with the red top's hype machine.

In fact most are sensible, and realistic. Just a minority of 13% got a bit carried away. I blame that on the fact they asked women in this ComRes poll :)

+ also so what if they got carried away, let them have some optimism, where's the crime other than it upsets some people that think everyone should just be miserable and not go into a tournament thinking you can do well.

1978 really burnt them, man ;)

So it will be ok to open threads like this in the future then?

Who knows? Depends on the situation. I'm not going to get into a hypothetical argument with you about pretend threads that may or may not open in the future.

Each thread judged on its own merits, etc.

Guest roberto922

As I've said before in this thread, I have no problem with people being over positive, just expect a ribbing if you fail. France and Italy had the **** taken out of them universally, yet a bunch of England fans in here get uppity when it's aimed at England

Its not just in this thread, every thread its the same thing over and over, with the same people, just waiting like hawks to have a dig. Gets a bit old tbh. A joke or witty banter we all like but most of it is just comes across as hate or dribble.

As I've said before in this thread, I have no problem with people being over positive, just expect a ribbing if you fail. France and Italy had the **** taken out of them universally, yet a bunch of England fans in here get uppity when it's aimed at England

I have no issue with England fans having the **** taken out of them for failing in the world cup, you have to expect it - its part of the game we all love and it wouldn't be the same if the banter was taken away.

However, I didn't see any threads being opened up with the single intent to take the **** out of the respective fans. I saw no threads titled the same when France or Italy went out.

And with an answer like that GillsMan, you should be a politician.

There's a difference between being positive and going out in the 1/4 finals on penalties and being positive and going out in the fashion we did this tournament. This tournament probably does deserve some ribbing but then again hardly anyone was over the top out of people on here to be ribbed for their views so we all kind of agree in a way but minus the bitterness and resentment :D

If its mickey taking out of the team that is all fair and good, but targetting fans because they were "cocky, over-confident and arrogant" isn't. Its like saying all of the Welsh shag sheep (maybe 13% of them do?) or all of Scotland are dour or the whole of Ireland are terrorists, not only wrong, but insulting.

Some people just want an excuse to slag people who are seen to be "rivals" of themselves, and it gets boring. Especially when you have to put up with the racism in real life, having to have it online, espceially on a forum like this, shouldn't be tolerated.

I didn't really think England were going to do much in the tournament in the first place anyway, so it's not really a case of laughing at them in all honesty. Their media hyped them up to be something they aren't, their formations were all wrong and their players didn't perform. Although I have to admit I thought they'd get through Germany and it would be Argentina with Maradona as the manager knocking them out with Messi taking the role of Maradona from 24 years ago.

Slightly jealous in a way like I guess all other home nation supporters probably are though, Scotland without a major finals in 12 years and England despite messing it up every time seem to be guaranteed a spot in the finals every 2/4 years. I'd just like to see us in a major tournament, even if we'd more likely get pumped straight out of it. Wales probably even more desperate considering their last major championships is probably 1958? might be wrong there though

Guest roberto922

I'd say at least 90% of the forum is English, you also didn't see a dirge of threads on the future of France and Italy after their defeats, for the simple fact that there isn't the same amount of people wanting to give their views as there is on England, hence more threads are made.

EDIT: And where does all this stuff about slagging off come from? Originally it was made to have a laugh at Englands expense and then a bunch of you came in crying and an argument started

I have barely skim read this, I didn't even see an argument. Someone started pulling out Wales qualifiying record or something. I couldn't care less what any other team does, all I care about is our performance so yeah, that's all a bit pointless if that's the beef

Why be jealous of England? I'm jealous of teams that win the top tournaments or at least challenge regularly for them. Being jealous of England is a bit like a club fan being jealous of Newcastle.

not the actual team but I explained it's more because they get to the finals of major championships and I'd like to see Scotland at one in the next 30 years or so

I voted yes in your poll because you and others keep saying English fans think they can win the world cup.

I went to that poll after England had lost and voted 'Winners' just to play with heads.

If its mickey taking out of the team that is all fair and good, but targetting fans because they were "cocky, over-confident and arrogant" isn't. Its like saying all of the Welsh shag sheep (maybe 13% of them do?) or all of Scotland are dour or the whole of Ireland are terrorists, not only wrong, but insulting.

Some people just want an excuse to slag people who are seen to be "rivals" of themselves, and it gets boring. Especially when you have to put up with the racism in real life, having to have it online, espceially on a forum like this, shouldn't be tolerated.

There hasn't been any racism here and I think you should specifically read over my posts and point out to me where I expressed xenophobic views. If you can't find any then withdraw your allegation. I don't appreciate being called a xenophobe when I am anything but.

Love how bitter and over-sensitive some England fans get after they get laughed at for failing after massive hype

Not being over sensitive, honestly couldn't careless as im relaxed as you can be right now, just pointing out the hypocritical attitude of the 'haters'.

Not being over sensitive, honestly couldn't careless as im relaxed as you can be right now, just pointing out the hypocritical attitude of the 'haters'.

It's not really hating, just people getting annoyed at the hype England get etc and when they get knocked out, can't seem to take the joke

It's not really hating, just people getting annoyed at the hype England get etc and when they get knocked out, can't seem to take the joke

I can take it mate, but its funny seeing how they complain about the media and all that, yet they're doing the exact same thing, do you see what im saying?

I have no issue with England fans having the **** taken out of them for failing in the world cup, you have to expect it - its part of the game we all love and it wouldn't be the same if the banter was taken away.

However, I didn't see any threads being opened up with the single intent to take the **** out of the respective fans. I saw no threads titled the same when France or Italy went out.

And with an answer like that GillsMan, you should be a politician.

What, giving an honest answer you mean? Each thread is judged on its own merits. I didn't think this thread was that bad, and if another mod disagreed they'd have closed it by now. All this petty whinging from fellow England fans (I have to out myself as an England fan here) is slightly tiresome tbh. Like I've said a million times, would you rather people came in the England thread to gloat at England's misfortune? Because if I'd have shut this thread, that's what would have happened, and then we'd have had a lot more arguing. I honestly don't know why you came into this thread if you can't take England-bashing. It's clear from the title what it's about.

Like I say, far better for all England bashing to be in one place then for it to pop up in other threads where we're trying to discuss England. It's just a judgement call. And I don't think I/we got it that wrong tbh. If you want to continue this discussion feel free to email me, but I think I've said all I need to say. No need to continue a discussion about this thread within this thread tbh.

Firstly, the English aren't a race. And this isn't racism fgs. Please, make sure your sense of perspective is in place before you start using powerful words like "racism". Describing this as racist demeans the very real subject of actual racism.

It's not even xenophobic - it's just England bashing. And if you were taking the micky out of Scotland for not qualifying, that would be Scotland-bashing, not xenophobia.

Of course the Welsh and Scottish want to rag on the English. The press have been banging on about "our boys" and the English football team for weeks now, and of course it gets tiresome. I have some sympathy for them.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But I think we'll draw a line under this now. If you want to debate the validity of this thread, feel free to PM me. This thread is not really the place for such discussion. But I've explained my reasoning and the other mods appear to agree (and if they don't agree they'll be sure to shut it) so there really isn't a great deal more to say.

Hope that all makes sense. :thup:

not the actual team but I explained it's more because they get to the finals of major championships and I'd like to see Scotland at one in the next 30 years or so

Don't worry, if we don't make 2012 or 2014 we will definitely be at 2016 when they expand the Euros.

In my lifetime we've been at major tournaments in 1982, 1986, 1990, 1992, 1996 and 1998 which isn't bad for a tiny country. Additionally we made consecutive World Cups in 1974, 1978, 1982, 1986 and 1990 which for a country our size is a monumental achievement.

I hate the British media as much as any Welshman, Scotsman or Irishman. And hate the English people who buy into it even more. So bring it on, it really isn't me as an England fan you're taking the micky out of, just the British media and the idiots who listen to it. And they fully deserve it.

England were rubbish, we know. But most of us suspected that they would be.

For those of us who have known all along (even in qualifiers) that this team was distinctively average, we are not particularly shocked by Englands mulering.

There hasnt been a single world class player from England since Beckham (world class being doesnt choke at the bigest stage). Rooney and all the talk up during his seaosn with United, all the media circus whenever he scored a tap in or had a little bruise...all the adverts....he has failed to deliver.

This is also the end of an era for arguably the best individual players England has had for a long long time. But i'm sure with the likes of Walcott and Michael Richards coming through, the future is quite bright :o

I must say I feel sorry for England, after all I support Arsenal (yeah yeah), but this is really funny. In some ways this reminds me of Newcastle getting relegated. It finally brought most of their clueless fans back to reality and perhaps now the English media and fans alike can see that England is just not good enough.

But back on topic, this is a thread for English and Non-English fans to come laugh at their team and players. Would be disrespectful to go in the England thread and troll, so why not do it here.

I'll start it off

493.gif

:(

Totally agree with this except for the Beckham bit, he was no more world class than I'm 6'6" (about 5'4" btw). It's just that he was good for sales. The best generation and bright future bits are a bit dodgy too now that I look at them.

But the point I'd like to make is that there are a lot of delusional fans out there. I've a friend who suggested that if England had won their group, as they should he says, they would have gotten Ghana and beat them easily, and then reached the semis. Lucky I was drunk at the time otherwise I would have laughed in his face.

England are a very limited team, Rooney is probably the most overrated player ever (based on his career performances so far, I usually drop him to a c. 130 CA/PA player), Gerrard and Lampard play in the same very limited role which needs 5 players to be able to play in very defined positions of which England can field at best 2. The back line is horrendous (usually saved at club level by being only one amongst 3 good freign defenders). It says a lot that Englands best player at the WC is David James, and Paul Scholes (a man deep into the night of his career) is by far the most skillful Englishman playing the game.

Finally the laugh: Ha, HA! If you're going to be so arrogant, at least be in a position to justify it, i.e. win multiple trophies (especially recently) and have the players who can match their hype.

Rooney is probably the most overrated player ever (based on his career performances so far, I usually drop him to a c. 130 CA/PA player)

I fail to accept that you know anything at all about football, or have actually ever watched it, if the above is true.

Rooney may have had a shocking tournament, and may not be world class. But he's a cracking player who would walk into most sides.

Ha, HA! If you're going to be so arrogant, at least be in a position to justify it, i.e. win multiple trophies (especially recently) and have the players who can match their hype.

Haven't actually read the thread then? Show me an arrogant England fan and I'll show you a Sun reading nob head. Most normal England fans know we're not that good and we're under no illusions that we'd win anything.

But, by all means, carry on making yourself look stupid :thup:

Do people really still believe that Beckham was just a shirt seller? Doing the simple things well consistently doesn't mean you're not up there with the best fwiw.

Beckham definitely added something to the England team thet we seem to be lacking without him.

The ability to keep the ball and pass to someone actually of the same nationality for one.

But the point I'd like to make is that there are a lot of delusional fans out there. I've a friend who suggested that if England had won their group, as they should he says, they would have gotten Ghana and beat them easily, and then reached the semis. Lucky I was drunk at the time otherwise I would have laughed in his face.

Nothing delusional about that, just an indication of how favourable the draw was for England and how much of a squandered opportunity their WC campaign turned out to be.

Archived