Who hates the Bubuzela trumpet thing?

SGartz

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it would probably be ok if there was like 50-100 in the stadium, the horns at the nou camp don't bother me for example, but when there is thousands together non stop for the whole game it just takes away from the atmosphere because its like a constant drone that drowns out all crowd noise.. horrible

Copy and paste links, moan and groan, question the culture and history. Ladies and Gentlemen the Vuvuzela will be present at the World cup and their is sweet FA you can do about it.

Plus i am pretty sure the Vuvuzela as i have seen it in southern Africa is a descendant of the kudu horn or that is something most South Africans tell me.

Europeans have been using hunting horns for over 2000 years. I'd still be told to get rid of it if I tried to take one into a stadium. The Africans might of been using them longer, but the culture argument is crap. We can moan about it all we like, well at least until a Mod closes this thread and bans all discussion about them, even then we can still moan about them just not on here :p.

hopefully you've learned a valuable lesson about blindly believing what other people say. ;)

for the record, I am in the middle of the two opinions regarding the vuvuzelas. I find them annoying, but I don't think they should be banned nor do I think they will take away from the entertainment of the games.

Pretty sure that when similar horns were getting popular at Wembley finals and England internationals at the start of the last decade everyone was fuming. Not that I wanted to see those horns, or vuvuzelas banned, but I'm sure some of the same people complaining then are the beard-strokers today who are vehemently defending the cultural significance of them as if they were sacred artefacts.

Tbf many things exist in African football that non-africans wont like and the Vuvuzela is the first success story of this cup. Most non-africans would not have know what one was before they got the hosting rights. South Africa is doing a decent job so far (on the hosting front) so the cynical people have picked the Vuvuzela as the thing they will complain about.

p.s - When crowds are getting involved they can drown out the Vuvuzela at key moments.

False atmosphere my backside, its one of the best atmospheres if you ask me.

the Vuvuzela is the first success story of this cup. Most non-africans would not have know what one was before they got the hosting rights

:D

wasn't aware that the world cup was a musical instrument promotional event, will retract my previous criticism

think you're labouring under the impression that people dislike them because they want the south african world cup to fail, rather than due to them making a really ****ing annoying noise

That match Icon linked to isn't too bad tbh. As I suspected, I hardly noticed it anymore by the end, even of those few minutes, and they don't drown out the crowd at all.

That match Icon linked to isn't too bad tbh. As I suspected, I hardly noticed it anymore by the end, even of those few minutes, and they don't drown out the crowd at all.

Spot on point i was trying to prove. :thup:

The confed cup atmosphere was a bit bad in general plus it was the first taste of the horns for many, but you will sonn forget its there after watching tons of World Cup games.

A lively crowd will easily drown it out tbh, while it will be more noticeable in a dire 0 - 0 draw between two countries with very little support.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrYb9qtO8OQ

Atleast we dont have to listening to thousands of those things at 1:05 on that video :p

I remember watching some thing on the BBC i think about the world cup and it showed some Orlando Pirates games, sounded pretty amazing overall, and you could hear the crowd over it quite a lot.

I hate them. Everyone I have talked with hates them. I have friends that never watch soccer and were excited about the world cup but are turning it off because of the irritating noise. Shame these stupid things are ruining a chance to sell the game to North Americans. As for myself, I had planned on watching as many games as I could but now am only going to follow England and Spain as the buzzing leaves me with a headache.

Shame these stupid things are ruining a chance to sell the game to North Americans.

Oh dear! What a missed chance! I mean its not like there has been a World Cup in the USA in 1994 and 3 more World Cups since then. No, the Vuvuzela is ruining the chance of selling football to North America.

• Administrators

Kills the atmosphere at the ground as it's just a noise with no emotion. Even worse when tools bring them into pubs to watch a bloody game. Some stupid bint was blowing one for pretty much the entire Mexico v SA game. I did enjoy the fact I was the only person that jumped up to celebrate the Mexico goal to many angry stares.

Shove that up your bloody trumpet :D

Oh dear! What a missed chance! I mean its not like there has been a World Cup in the USA in 1994 and 3 more World Cups since then. No, the Vuvuzela is ruining the chance of selling football to North America.

Well, mock me if you want. I am giving you a true report of how people are reacting. Soccer does not grab the headlines over here very often. This is a chance to sell the game to new people and it is being wasted. If you are implying that selling the game to North Americans is not important, I can understand that sentiment, that is another discussion for another thread I suppose.

Well, mock me if you want. I am giving you a true report of how people are reacting. Soccer does not grab the headlines over here very often. This is a chance to sell the game to new people and it is being wasted. If you are implying that selling the game to North Americans is not important, I can understand that sentiment, that is another discussion for another thread I suppose.

The point i was making is, why is this particular World Cup a different chance to sell the game to North America than all the previous ones in the last 2 decades?

If USA 94, France 98, South Korea - Japan 2002 and Germany 2006 did not do it then what will this one do?

Even if this was the holy grail to sell the competition to North America, i really doubt the Vuvuzela will destroy that. If the noises and culture of North American stadium sports are anything to go by (very different from Europe) they are more likely to like the South African atmosphere than a European one;

The point i was making is, why is this particular World Cup a different chance to sell the game to North America than all the previous ones in the last 2 decades?

If USA 94, France 98, South Korea - Japan 2002 and Germany 2006 did not do it then what will this one do?

you are aware it doesn't take just a couple of world cups to change the overall opinions of an entire nation? the fact that the ratings for the last world cup final were higher than ever says something as well

The World Cup is a hit this year in the American market, despite the country’s poor performance and early exit from the tournament.

The average World Cup Soccer matched aired on ABC in 2002 scored less than 1 million viewers. According to Reuters, this year (2006) the average is 2.6 million, representing a 65 percent increase from the previous tournament.

selling the game in america is an ongoing process that will continue for awhile, but it is already getting better ratings than some of the more traditionally popular sports over here.

Europeans have been using hunting horns for over 2000 years. I'd still be told to get rid of it if I tried to take one into a stadium. The Africans might of been using them longer, but the culture argument is crap. We can moan about it all we like, well at least until a Mod closes this thread and bans all discussion about them, even then we can still moan about them just not on here :p.

If somebody can take a Bell into a stadium, i'm pretty sure you'd be allowed a hunting horn too.

Even if this was the holy grail to sell the competition to North America, i really doubt the Vuvuzela will destroy that. If the noises and culture of North American stadium sports are anything to go by (very different from Europe) they are more likely to like the South African atmosphere than a European one;

I would say that the game is growing in North America and 94 brought in a huge amount of fans, myself included. Every world cup is a great opportunity to engage new people. I am telling you that people in my neighbourhood are turning the games off because of the headache inducing noise.

A lady I work with who never watches soccer told me that she was excited about the world cup because she has heard so much about fan excitement and atmosphere at the games. She has a new HDTV and wants some exciting programming to view. She has ceased watching now because of the vuvuzela. That is one opportunity to bring a new fan into the game lost. I concede that I am just telling you what is happening here, maybe the same thing is happening everywhere, maybe it is not.

you are aware it doesn't take just a couple of world cups to change the overall opinions of an entire nation? the fact that the ratings for the last world cup final were higher than ever says something as well

selling the game in america is an ongoing process that will continue for awhile, but it is already getting better ratings than some of the more traditionally popular sports over here.

Which goes back to me saying that does he really believe that the blowing of horns by the locals will be the main reason this World cup does not continue the trend?

I would say that the game is growing in North America and 94 brought in a huge amount of fans, myself included. Every world cup is a great opportunity to engage new people. I am telling you that people in my neighbourhood are turning the games off because of the headache inducing noise.

A lady I work with who never watches soccer told me that she was excited about the world cup because she has heard so much about fan excitement and atmosphere at the games. She has a new HDTV and wants some exciting programming to view. She has ceased watching now because of the vuvuzela. That is one opportunity to bring a new fan into the game lost. I concede that I am just telling you what is happening here, maybe the same thing is happening everywhere, maybe it is not.

Well in that case it then becomes a case of priorities. To me those South African fans who live and breathe football, who have been dreaming and waiting for this day for years and who use Vuvuzelas as part of their domestic game take more importance over converting new people to the game regardless how lucrative their market might be.

It is 4 weeks for South Africa and i would rather the western world was inconvenienced by the horns than the hosts, who would be pretty miffed if their horns (which they blow in the premier league) were banned.

not the main reason. but I can certainly see it annoying the average person tuning in to see what all the fuss over the world cup is about.

It would annoy a fair few tuning in for the first time but is that enough justification to get rid? Just a question not an attack by the way, because we have to look at both parties in this.

surprised nobody has mentioned this yet to be honest:

South Africa's World Cup organising chief Danny Jordaan may ban vuvuzelas from inside stadiums after complaints from broadcasters and supporters.

The constant sound of the high-pitched horn-like instrument has so far drowned out much of the atmosphere-generating singing usually associated with games.

And Jordaan, when asked if he would get rid of them, told BBC Sport: "If there are grounds to do so, yes.

"We did say that if any land on the pitch in anger we will take action."

France captain Patrice Evra has already blamed the noise generated by the vuvuzelas, which has been likened to the drone of thousands of bees, for his side's poor showing in their opening group game against Uruguay, which finished goalless.

He said: "We can't sleep at night because of the vuvuzelas. People start playing them from 6am.

"We can't hear one another out on the pitch because of them."

Jordaan conceded that while the noise was irritating for some people, they were doing all they could to minimise the impact.

"We've tried to get some order," he continued. "We have asked for no vuvuzelas during national anthems or stadium announcements. It's difficult but we're trying to manage the best we can.

"We've had some broadcasters and individuals [complaining] and it's something we are evaluating on an on-going basis."

Jordaan admitted he was not a huge fan of them himself. "I would prefer singing," he said.

"It's always been a great generator of a wonderful atmosphere in stadiums and I would try to encourage them to sing.

"In the days of the struggle (against apartheid) we were singing, all through our history it's our ability to sing that inspired and drove the emotions."

personally I'm used to them as they were all over the African Cup Of Nations in January and the Confederations Cup last year but I would say the only thing that is slightly annoying is when a goal goes into the net, you hear muted cheers from the crowd and then it sounds like thousands of bees are showing their approval for the goal rather than human cheering for it. It does bring a different atmosphere to the World Cup (I remember Japan/Korea being slightly quiet for most games) but there are parts to the instrument that do slightly irritate

It would annoy a fair few tuning in for the first time but is that enough justification to get rid? Just a question not an attack by the way, because we have to look at both parties in this.

I already expressed my opinion that I don't think they should be banned. I'm just saying that I am not surprised that people who aren't passionate about the game have trouble getting into watching it with the constant blowing of the horns.

Well in that case it then becomes a case of priorities. To me those South African fans who live and breathe football, who have been dreaming and waiting for this day for years and who use Vuvuzelas as part of their domestic game take more importance over converting new people to the game regardless how lucrative their market might be.

It is 4 weeks for South Africa and i would rather the western world was inconvenienced by the horns than the hosts, who would be pretty miffed if their horns (which they blow in the premier league) were banned.

Okay, I understand your position now. I am to selfish to agree with you I suppose.

We do have these same types of horns at sports events, not so many to dominate other crowd noise and they are typically only used on occasion. I have seen security confiscate them from fans who do insist on full-time honking as it detracts from the enjoyment of others.

I wish the world cup could be an enjoyable experience for people round the world but I guess that will not be the reality.

Okay, I understand your position now. I am to selfish to agree with you I suppose.

We do have these same types of horns at sports events, not so many to dominate other crowd noise and they are typically only used on occasion. I have seen security confiscate them from fans who do insist on full-time honking as it detracts from the enjoyment of others.

I wish the world cup could be an enjoyable experience for people round the world but I guess that will not be the reality.

It can be annoying for many and i know i am used to them because of years of following the ACON and African Champions League, where they are quite prevalent in different forms.

The thing about the horns is i would rather have them than some of the funeral type games we had in South Korea-Japan 2002.

Hopefully it will get less as the tournament progresses but the South Africans have saturated Africa with those horns so a World Cup in Africa will be full of them.

I just can't believe anyone is defending this ****. Especially the England fans, who are always so precisely pedantic to criticise every sector of any stadium that ever tried to do a "Mexican wave".

Yesterday I was going back home and I heard a noise played by a neighbour's TV. I was so really really sure Poland volleyball team were playing in the World League. When I got home I turned on my own TV just to see it was a football match. Constant noise, no reaction to whatever is happening on the pitch. Now so many people trying to defend it just because of politician correctness. Shocking.

I am not going to say that anyone in the world has no right of their own approach to football, ie making the same sound for 120 minutes no matter who plays and what players do on the pitch - even though majority of the fans tend to SUPPORT a team and react to what is happening in the game. However, I expect everyone to respect my opinion that this WC's atmosphere is ruined by these idiotic devices that make any real effort to support a team unheard.

They actually do go quiet sometimes. Like right after a goal. But yeah, they are rather annoying.

I do think it adds a special atmosphere though. With the hordes of VIPs on football matches these days, the atmosphere tends to be rather dull and quiet, so this is a change of pace for sure. But it's all the time, and it never stops.

Think I have become kinda used to it now though. It's more of a background noise than something I think about when watching. It must be hell-ish to actually attend the games though, as the noise is literally deafening. If they can get to 120 decibel that is not doing your hearing any favours...

The thing about the horns is i would rather have them than some of the funeral type games we had in South Korea-Japan 2002.

This is what I'm on about too. Though they can be annoying at times, it's probably better than the likely alternative of quiet games with little to no atmosphere.

It's usually great anyway when Brazil and African teams play, with drumming and such (not to mention the dancing girls.. :D), but us slow Europeans tend to just drink beer and sit there, then cheer when our team scores.

It must be terrible for the players though, as you can clearly see they have problems communicating at times. The manager practically has to scream into the ear of some sub to get across what he wants them to do.

Seem to remember 2002 was full of the those blow up sticks being banged together. Strange funerals you've been to...

Better dig out your 2002 dvd, the Japanese stadiums had quite a bad atmosphere which was blamed on the afternoon heat for the silence. The South Korean centres fared slightly better due to the teams progress to the semi stage.

The main issue was the lack of atmosphere although tbf the English and Brazilian fans had no such problems in their games. A lot of the others were quite bland.

It was not helped by the empty stadiums in the opening stages either due to ticket issues.

As much as I hate these things I don't want them banned, don't want football really doing down that line. None of this 'it's their culture' stuff either but it's just ban this and then what, ban rattles, scarves, chanting? People can make noise how they like but bloody 'el, it's rubbish!

So, how many of these in the Premier League grounds next season then? Can't believe some wacky guy will miss the chance to flog some cheap, noisy plastic with club colours and badges on it in England!

charlie brooker's twitter feed, from the england game:

* dynamicthinking @charltonbrooker Football chants have changed since I was a lad.. Drrrrrrrrrrr isn't the most original in the world

* Actually the unrelenting drone isn't too bad if you stand a mile or so away from the screen

* That pitch must be covered in vuvuzela spittle

* There's an Aphex Twin track that sounds exactly like this. But about 85 minutes shorter, because THAT'S AS MUCH AS A HUMAN CAN WITHSTAND

* It's like the soundtrack to The Swarm

* As a fan of low atonal droning, I'm enjoying the World Cup more than expected.

bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Kindly **** off please Vuvuzela.

Archived