BBC/ITV World Cup team details

Philip Rolfe

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't know if it's within Offcom's remit, but if it is, I hope they fine the hell out of ITV for setting off an advert 3 minutes into that broadcast.

Im sure they can (and have) fined stations for showing too many adverts at breaks. So that must count :D

Total disaster over here, they are abject at doing even simple things, the studio panel have disappeared now and I'm watching the Arab language coverage.

Studio was the host who I have seen before but not sure of his name, Alaister something and then El Tel, Ray Wilkins and Ali Bernabia (!) for some reason

Why do I have this feeling the Algeria matches will all be perfect w/o interuption?

Al Jazeera Sports are currently doing their best to ruin the World Cup, 1st minute of the 1st game and the commentary comes on in French ... 1 minute later the picture is off. I complain, they say they're 'working on it' (A Dubai favourite) and they move it to another Al Jazeera Sports channel ... few minutes later the picture on that goes off.

Well done, you *****! Still waiting for them to sort it out. Oh, now it's back but still only in Arabic and can't change to English

I have watched football in some of the most remote places of Asia yet to broadcast football here always seems such an ordeal

Bizaarely Al Jazeera Sports and FIFA, no less, have released a statement. The implication is that someone is jamming the signal to the Middle East on purpose and there are some shennigans at work.

They have informed people to re-tune their dishes to an alternate frequency, I have cable which is apparently connected to the 'good' frequency as some satelittle dish users have had problems yesterday too.

South Africa was awful, Uruguay had a blank screen a couple of times for 30-45 seconds but all yesterday was fine.

FIFA's statement was along the lines of 'stop it, it's not nice' and they will assist in trying to bring this to an end.

Very, very odd indeed! TV Terrorism ftl :(

My coverage has been fine now, just that first game, first minute ... they definitely seem to think it's deliberate

Why do I have this feeling the Algeria matches will all be perfect w/o interuption?

They have a history of being rubbish here, sound and pictures not in line and them taking a few days to get things sorted out but that 1st day was beyond the joke, not it seems it's not their fault, all very odd

I don't know if it's within Offcom's remit, but if it is, I hope they fine the hell out of ITV for setting off an advert 3 minutes into that broadcast.

There are rules on minutage of ads, and placement of ads. I complained to Ofcom - I'm 99% sure they haven't breached their rules, but I thought it's worth complaining anyway on the off chance they have.

FYI - there's been talk for about a year now of ITV giving up their public broadcaster license. This would mean they wouldn't have certain obligations placed on them regarding quality of TV coverage (yup, believe it or not, ITV have obligations to meet), and they'd lost their number 3 spot on the TV.

I can only assume they'd lose rights to the World Cup, or it would at least go up for bidding (or it would be allocated to another terrestrial channel).

Either way, ITV are an utter joke, and the sooner they lose the rights to football the better. I can't wait to see the viewing figures for games where both ITV and BBC are showing them.

Oh, and that show with James Corden was terrible. Lame jokes and hackneyed cliches. That "joke" with Katy Perry about the World Series being a misnomer - took me back to 1992 when I first heard that joke and thought it was quite funny. Eighteen years later, it's just lame.

Guest roberto922

C5 aren't good, but in my experience they're better than ITV, at least you know you'll get to see any goals that go in.

Wouldn't mind seeing what Channel 4 would do - might be able to lure James Richardson back to TV

Don't think he'd take much luring tbh. But having him back (and not on Setanta) would be fb. :cool:

Champions League final 2009 MU vs. Barca i think it was, where there was no time up in the corner like you usually have in a football match. Emailed in but they said a generator had gone down or something. Can't stand ITV.

I've noticed that the three-letter names used on the score graphic during coverage on both ITV and BBC aren't always the actual FIFA country codes.

An example is the current game, Japan (JAP) is wrong (should be JPN) but they bothered to get Cameroon (CMR) correct.

The trouble with ITV is that they are so busy trying to sell you the game in the most patronising fashion. They never stop telling you what a big game it is and what a massive historical moment every minor moment is. Plus they treat everyone watching the programme as if they have barely watched a game of football in their lives. They point out the blindingly obvious while never giving any real kind of insight.

Their main commentator (is it Clive Tyldesley?) is the most annoying commentator of all time in my eyes. What an absolute plonker. I swear he must sit there with a notebook full of football clichés and what he considers to be 'finely spun' phrases to bring out at any time. It's as if he is thinking that any moment in the match could be a potential replay moment in the future and that he needs to come up with some kind of amazing line to hype it up. Instead, he just sounds like a total prat. He is so desperate to be the next 'some people are on the pitch' commentator but he just tries far too hard and everything that comes out of his mouth just sounds patronising, trite, clichéd and ridiculous.

Great commentators, in my opinion, are subtle, often allowing the moment to speak for itself but just adding a little something to the occasion. You think about one of the most quotable and most famous commentary lines in English history - 'some people are on the pitch, they think it's all over, it is now'. It's totally low key, a masterpiece of understatement. Now imagine Clive whatshisname from ITV in the same scenario and doesn't your whole body and mind just cringe at the thought of a great moment being ruined by his self-importance, arrogance and hype? :mad:

Bloody ITV on their build-up to the Ivory Coast-Portugal game spent 20 minutes talking about England, another 9 on adverts and then about 20 seconds analysing the line-up for the actual game.

BBC talk about England too. Annoyed me last world cup aswell. There is only so much "team news" you can have. I want to hear about the players for the featured game not England who arent playing for 3/4 days

I started switching over to something else at half time and off at full time. The studio analysis is really annoying me, some of the foreign ex-players they have just don't have the English skills to cope with live television (feel free to mock my poor English and lack of foreign langugages :p). Though I will say I really liked Seedorf and Klinsman when they were on the Beeb, Desailly and Davids are the worst culprits. I hated Desailly on the Champions League games he did and he hasn't improved.

The BBC aren't quite as bad because they tend to stick most of the England stuff (bar an interview or two) on the end of the show, so you can turn off before having seen the game. Plus there's no ads. But ITV's way of doing it annoyed me today. For sure, you expect a bit of England news but as you say, the main feature should be the game about to begin and not England and their soap opera.

For sure, I love hearing about what's going on with England - and it's easy to do so - England are on every magazine, newspaper, radio, television, internet. When I turn on 'Ivory Coast v Portugal' that's what I want to see. I'd rather they did a daily 20 minute show on the England team which was separate from the other games themselves, even if it meant having only a 10 minute build-up to the other games.

The BBC aren't quite as bad because they tend to stick most of the England stuff (bar an interview or two) on the end of the show, so you can turn off before having seen the game. Plus there's no ads. But ITV's way of doing it annoyed me today. For sure, you expect a bit of England news but as you say, the main feature should be the game about to begin and not England and their soap opera.

For sure, I love hearing about what's going on with England - and it's easy to do so - England are on every magazine, newspaper, radio, television, internet. When I turn on 'Ivory Coast v Portugal' that's what I want to see. I'd rather they did a daily 20 minute show on the England team which was separate from the other games themselves, even if it meant having only a 10 minute build-up to the other games.

for sure...

I didn't want to quote the whole thing above but what crouchaldinho says about Tydesley is absolutely spot on :thup:

ITV have completely and utterly screwed up with their analysis team;

Matt Smith - The presenter who i would happily kick ten bells out of, why does he feel the need to take massive pauses between the last word of each sentance?

Robbie Earle - Knows literally nothing about football, glad he's now been sacked.

Andy Townsend - He is just a joke tbh, probably one of the better analysists ITV have got but still unbearable

Edgar Davids - Puts forward a strong case for being the most boring man on the planet

Marcel Desailly - Provides us with some comedy gold but is generally clueless

Adrian Chiles - I like him a lot, doing a good job.

In contrast to this there is the BBC team;

Gary Linekar - I really love Linekar, presents with humour and knowledge and the cameraderie between him and the other 2 is brilliant

Alan Hansen - Not the best but better than anything ITV can offer

Alan Shearer - I quite enjoy his analysis sometimes, its not the best but again much better than anything on ITV

Lee Dixon - The weak link in the BBC team imo, his voice and face just annoy me

Emmanuel Adebayor - Actually offers a very good insight into the game, much better than i expected

Clarence Seedorf - I think he's been brilliant, fitted straight in with Linekar, Hansen and Shearer and enjoyable to watch

I think the big difference for me is the cameraderie and fun between the 2. The BBC team are always joking about and taking the **** out of one of the presenters and its good to watch whereas the ITV coverage is so cringey and rigid.

Matt Smith - The presenter who i would happily kick ten bells out of, why does he feel the need to take massive pauses between the last word of each sentance?

Don't forget the mind-numbing stare he does along with the 'dramatic' pause. Clearly need to be punched in the face. Several times preferably.

Andy Townsend - He is just a joke tbh, probably one of the better analysists ITV have got but still unbearable

I can't stand his 'I am a geezer down the pub' shtick. :mad:

Adrian Chiles - I like him a lot, doing a good job.

Certainly added a bit of class to the show but just look what he has got to work with. I feel sorry for him to be honest. Wasted on ITV.

In contrast to this there is the BBC team;

Gary Linekar - I really love Linekar, presents with humour and knowledge and the cameraderie between him and the other 2 is brilliant

Agree. :thup:

Clarence Seedorf - I think he's been brilliant, fitted straight in with Linekar, Hansen and Shearer and enjoyable to watch

Enjoyed listening to Seedorf. Intelligent man and his personality seems to fit well with the others on the show.

I think the big difference for me is the cameraderie and fun between the 2. The BBC team are always joking about and taking the **** out of one of the presenters and its good to watch whereas the ITV coverage is so cringey and rigid.

Yes, couldn't agree more really. BBC is fluid, entertaining and actually I think Hansen, Dixon and Shearer are quite good pundits in my view anyway. It's a smooth operation and I rarely hit the mute button at half-time or full-time.

With ITV, it is just very rigid and pedestrian. Very little insight and I just turn off at HT and FT.

To be honest, the commentary on ITV has got so bad that I just mute it now and switch to Five Live. Even listening to Alan Green and Mark Lawrenson is better than bloody Clive Tyldesley. :D

ITV are just an embarrassing shambles from top to bottom really. From cutting to adverts during the England game and missing the goal, to the patronising commentary to any nation outside the top 20 nations in the world, to the sub-standard and amateur punditry. The world really would be a better place if all football coverage was taken from them altogether.

I don't mind Matt Smith myself. I know what people are talking about with the pauses and the stare, but for some reason it doesn't grate at all. Really do not enjoy Lineker though, toe-curling attempts at humour and wooden presenting style is not a good combo. Chiles is obviously very good, ITV just seem to have cornered the market in really awful punditry, but what's new about that?

They're both fairly poor line ups compared to RTE's in studio analysts:

John Giles, Eamon Dunphy, Liam Brady, Graeme Souness, Dietmar Hamann, Kevin Kilbane, Ronnie Whelan, Richie Sadlier and Denis Irwin. Ossie Ardiles was also announced to be there but I haven't seen him yet. Granted some of them are rather bland but John Giles, Eamon Dunphy, Liam Brady, Graeme Souness and Dietmar Hamann are excellent. With Souness you can see that he loves being on a station where he can say it as he sees it as opposed to having spout drivel in order to hype the game like on Sky.

Lee Dixon - The weak link in the BBC team imo, his voice and face just annoy me

This made me laugh.

Vieira looks like he doesn't want to be there and Davids looks like he may fall asleep at any moment - and when he talks it makes me want to fall asleep.

They should bring back Big Ron, at least he would say something interesting, even if he does talk crap most of the time.

Archived