BBC/ITV World Cup team details

Philip Rolfe

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ITV are just an embarrassing shambles from top to bottom really. From cutting to adverts during the England game and missing the goal, to the patronising commentary to any nation outside the top 20 nations in the world, to the sub-standard and amateur punditry. The world really would be a better place if all football coverage was taken from them altogether.

This ^^

The other day I was watching with family and said how I hated the way they credit any little thing to patronise a small team which would be a huge mistake to more established ones. Within a minute of me saying "how long until they spoon a shot miles wide and credit it" sure enough, a 'vicious shot' is scuffed just within the 18 yard box on the goal-line.

best place to post this I reckon:

http://sport.scotsman.com/sport/Tom-English-39The-level-of.6364084.jp

I actually think people like Adebayor and Seedorf have been good to listen to, but that one the other night in the Italy game was just embarassing. How long does it take to look up a random team's Wiki page or look up the BBC archives which probably have a lot of information on all teams at the World Cup you'd think? If it's not a big team then it seems the pundits don't want to know

Mark Bright is dreadful, I totally agree with you Tom. I just hate the way he constantly states the blatantly obvious.

The "Oh, that cross was far to high there! He put too much on the ball and got underneath it. That meant it rose. If it had been a bit lower they would have had a chance"-type analysis grates me :mad:

He was shocking but at least it wasn't David Pleat.

“With eight minutes left, the game could be won in the next five or ten minutes”

“They are trying to walk the ball in by heading it”

“Moutinho using his weight there - all 5’ 7” of it”

"This will be the first time we will be two thirds of the way through the match"

"If United get through, they'll play Chelsea or Liverpool, in an all-Premiership tie, which is also an all-English tie, and also an all-British tie"

I believe there is some element of that - if what they say live isn't as good as it could be, they re-record it for the highlights. Not noticable if they didn't show the match live, but sometimes you can tell when the live match and highlights are from the same broadcaster.

Has Adrian gone to ITV permanently? Or is it just for the World Cup?

BBC broadcast of the World Cup has been good so far but it just doesn't feel right with the panel they got on board. Why has the highlights reduce to a 30min program with no review of the games? Colin Murray is just awful, surprised the BBC didn't shove Stan Collymore in and turned it to Channel5 might as well as the highlight programs just feels dull and Channel5ish.

Who is doing MOTD2? Just not the same without Adrian.

ITV although awful with the adverts every 5mins. Adrian has made it viewable imo. Noticed as well that Adrian has taken the "2 good 2 bad" to ITV which gives it an edge to the BBC.

When Drogba kissed one of his team mates Lawro went 'awwwwwwwww' and he called Pearce a muppet! Great entertainment, plus he is pretty knowledgable too.

I have to say Ade came of very well when he talked about his personal experiences. To those who moaned at his phone going off- his wife went into labour. Still think he was an awful pundit at first, but he did improve a lot. Hope he does well next season.

Thought Hodgson was great the other day. Actually came across like he knew what he was on about and knew of players other than only those playing in England (which can't be said of pretty much everyone else). Also, have to say that Keegan hasn't been nearly as bad as I was expecting.

Matt Smith on the other hand is an absolute bell

Who are the two clowns commentating on ITV right now?

Jim Beglin was one, I hate that guy.

Why do ITV bother to start their coverage at 7.00 then stop for adverts 3 times before the 7.30 kick-off? Really annoying.

Why do ITV bother to start their coverage at 7.00 then stop for adverts 3 times before the 7.30 kick-off? Really annoying.

When else would they do it?

It is really annoying though. In fact this recent thing they've done for about a year now, of going to the adverts straight after the national anthems (or as the teams walk out in the CL or the FA Cup) is really bad. You lose a great deal of context just from not seeing the players assemble and looking at the teams directly before kick-off, especially when they talk about England for 20 minutes in the build-up.

When else would they do it?

It is really annoying though. In fact this recent thing they've done for about a year now, of going to the adverts straight after the national anthems (or as the teams walk out in the CL or the FA Cup) is really bad. You lose a great deal of context just from not seeing the players assemble and looking at the teams directly before kick-off, especially when they talk about England for 20 minutes in the build-up.

Exactly, I like to watch that bit, adds to the atmosphere.

ITV1 and ITV4, BBC1 and BBC3, I believe.

Not sure what the deal is if the BBC have any 3pm games, as BBC3's not on air then and the red button's probably full of tennis.

*Edit* Just checked - they're wisely bumping the tennis off the red button on Wednesday and Friday for the 3pm games :thup:

I really like Craig Burley, he's like Andy Gray but without all the abhorrent Andy Grayness.

Guys an absolute dick. Blubbers about **** for 90 minutes.

Can't believe he's had commentating jobs with 3 different companies :( and the worst is they have him doing Celtic matches. I just wanna rip his head off

So the alternate game on BBC is via the red button and not on BBC3?

ITV showing their alternate match on ITV4.

BBC3 isn't on air until 7pm, so any simultaneous 3pm kickoff games shown on the BBC will be on the red button, while 7.30 kickoffs will be on BBC3.

Feck them anyway. Didi Hamann finished on the RTE analysis at the weekend as he's back in pre-season training with MK Dons. Now this evening they've said that Souness is also leaving them. I wonder why that is. I hope it wasn't something to do with his comments at the weekend when he was talking about the game when Vidic "got raped by ... sorry taken apart by Torres" and RTE subsequently apologised also. I doubt that though. It seems strange for someone like him to be leaving half way through the world cup.

At least they still have Ossie Ardiles.

Archived