Epic World Cup Pictures

djvandyke

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

São Paulo players Mineiro and Rogério Ceni in Weggis when Brazil was preparing for the 2006 WC:

060602mineiro_ceni.jpg

Pelé and Garrincha celebrate a goal in the 1958 WC final:

PEL%C3%89+-+Copa+de+1958.jpg

Just some comments.

Firstly, the own goal by Escobar. It directly led to the elimination of Colombia from the tournament. Upon returning to Colombia shortly after, Escobar was assassinated by some drug lords.

Secondly, the photo off Rivaldo falling over against the Turks is the main memory I have off Rivaldo. Brazil got a corner, the Turkish player kicked the ball to Rivaldo, the ball hits him on the knee, Rivaldo decides to grap his face and the Turkish player got a red card. FIFA before the tournament said how strict they were going to be on cheating but did nothing presumably because it was Brazil.

I think he was killed because of gambling, criminal syndicates in Colombia losing a lot of money for Colombia going out, they were kind of a 'dark horse' for a couple of World Cups although no one sensible really thought they'd win. I guess he was considered 'responsible' for the loss and hence his death. Stupid, think that's about right though

Archived