A thread for some advanced editing tips

Has anyone here been able to successfully create a cup->group->cup competition? I have trying for a while and haven't found complete success. The competition itself works properly. I have 40 teams entering the initial cup stage (stage 0), from there, 10 teams qualify for the next stage, where they are joined by 22 other teams. So the second stage (stage 1) is the group stage with the aforementioned 32 teams. The top two from each group qualify for the final cup round (stage 2) and work their way to the final. Now, the competition itself is running smoothly. The correct teams are advancing from each stage and making their way to the final. What I'm having trouble with is recording the competition winner. I know it has to do with ranking levels, but I haven't been able to get them to work properly. Now if I get rid of the initial cup stage, and just keep it as group->cup, then it records the winner. But keeping it the other way provides no success. Any help would be appreciated. If you want to take a look at the file, just PM me.

Have a look at my Nigerian file, there you have cup - group -cup. Lhaytonbhoy, Magic and Erniesouchek guided me through the process.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dear forum members,

This year is the start of the league in between professional (Eredivie & Jupiler League) and amateur football called the "Topklasse".

My wish is to apply this change into the database. After trying some changes in the editor I end up with the same problem all the time.

As for the "Topklasse" the league and the teams are being set up already. Though the "Hoofdklasse" is also available. And my problem is the following: I can not select the Topklasse as the third in ranking, after the Eredivie and Jupiler League, although i select it as the third the Hoofdklasse stays ranked as the third. This leads to, that the teams promoted from Topklasse are not going to the Jupiler League (as for the teams relegated in the Jupiler League), but end up in the Hoofdklasse. So I tried to errase the Hoofdklasse, but as well this don't help because now there's an empty space ranked as the third league in the Dutch pyramid.

Does anybody has an idea how to set up the "Topklasse" in a valid way so all the teams promoted and relegated end up in the right league, without using the "Hoofdklasse" (which in fact has to be the fourth ranking league. Split up in many regional, saturday and sunday leagues)?

I Hope any body knows a way. And already Thanks

Congrets to SI Games for creating another wonderfull game!

I just found this reply in the Data issues-Holland topic:

Quote Originally Posted by T-IceMan View Post

I noticed this as well, its not part of the Dutch league system in the editor indeed....

Yes, there's something fishy going on with that. It should pretty much work, but it seems for some reason the Hoofdklasse is hard-coded and thus doesn't allow the Topklasse to come over it or something. (All has been set in my database)

This was brought up around a week ago by one of the leading members of The Dugout. The Programmers told me they are looking into adjusting this for the Game Day Release Patch.

However, I have no idea if this actually gets done. So hopefully it does. It will not be playable (Company rules) - but then it should be easily adjustable through the Competition Editor.

It seems like a bug or not?

Howdy again everyone

I am attempting to edit the U-20 World Cup from September/October to June/July (since it should be that date to avoid teams losing players from clubs). I have taken the xml from the comps.fmf folder, copied into my data editor saves and thus I am able to edit it with the advanced panels. I changed the competition start/end dates from September/October to June/July, and then manually edited the dates of every match in the "league fixtures" panel from Sept/Oct to June/July.

The first time I attempted to test this, half the games were in June and then the other half in October. Now, every time I test it the game just defaults to holding the competition in September/October. I've been looking through the xml and can't find anything else to change. I assume I am missing something, but what exactly is it? Thanks

Help anyone?

I've created a cup but the fixtures aren't being scheduled properly. While the first round games are being played as they're supposed to (in November with a 2 week gap), the following rounds are all being played straight away afterwards in a matter of days, rather than the next round being played in January and so on.

Any explaination?

That FAQ from the SI guy needs to be updated.

Took me ages to figure out the 'inactive' division stuff.

I was trying to make it inactive in the "competitions" part of the DB, not the Nation Rules. A 'non-playable' league needs to be created in the Nation Rules, set as what tier in the 'competitions' part of the DB, and then set to Inactive in the Nation Rules again.

Also, Super Cup entrants are determined not by Teams, Teams For Next Season, Teams (Secondary Division), or Registered Teams, but by adding the winner/runnerup/third/hosts to the competition History tab for the year before for both competitions. Obviously if you have new competitions that qualify into the super cup, this needs to be done so it'll work for the first season.

Hi!

Im trying to add the portuguese third division to the game and ive test the nation rules and gives me the invalid season start/end dates - season needs to be at most 11 months.The dates for the third division are Start 2.8.2010 - Split 15.3.2011 - End 4.6.2011

I allready change to other dates, but still give me the same error. Can you help me? Thx

Hi!

Im trying to add the portuguese third division to the game and ive test the nation rules and gives me the invalid season start/end dates - season needs to be at most 11 months.The dates for the third division are Start 2.8.2010 - Split 15.3.2011 - End 4.6.2011

I allready change to other dates, but still give me the same error. Can you help me? Thx

wrong forum to ask this question, but you might want to check if the start/end dates match up or are within with the dates you set for the nation (Portugal)

If i got it clearly, it takes champions, and other teams as it should be. I tried with Egypt, and top two teams to qualify to CL. And both 1st and 2nd qualified. Few season after (I just holidayed it, to try) league winner won CL also. That meant that 2nd and 3rd got berths to CL (as I also asigned last winner to qualify).

Has anyone ever managed to get teams from one cup competition to qualify to the initial stage of another cup competition without "Get previous competition Winner"??? I want to qualify 8 teams out of the final stage of a regional cup into the initial stage of a national cup. I've tried for hours and hours with fate actions and "Get Qualified Teams from Stage", "Get Qualified Teams for Competition" etc. It seems to be absolutely impossible - there are no teams entering the national cup competition. :(

Has anyone ever managed to get teams from one cup competition to qualify to the initial stage of another cup competition without "Get previous competition Winner"??? I want to qualify 8 teams out of the final stage of a regional cup into the initial stage of a national cup. I've tried for hours and hours with fate actions and "Get Qualified Teams from Stage", "Get Qualified Teams for Competition" etc. It seems to be absolutely impossible - there are no teams entering the national cup competition. :(

I've had some success when experimenting with that, but I'd have to look at the details of what I did. Make sure you also add the competition they're coming from in the tab for dynamically adding stages from other competitions.

I'm trying to edit the US leagues to be more like the traditional ones, for example like in Europe but having a bit of trouble.

How can I define what competition the league winner goes to? For example the winner of the MLS goes to the Champions League (not that I want that to happen, just using it as a example)

I've had some success when experimenting with that, but I'd have to look at the details of what I did. Make sure you also add the competition they're coming from in the tab for dynamically adding stages from other competitions.

Figured it out finally! It works when utilizing fate action "Qualify Team for Stage" and "Get Qualified Teams from Stage" and setting correct main and sub stage name of the national cup. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm. I am having some trouble with making the FM11 editor shov PA and CA on the peoples list.

I've tried opening the file football manager 2011\tools\editor\data\format\database ui\person ui.xml and adding this:

<record db_field="pers,Ocra"/>			<!-- current ability -->
		<record db_field="pers,Opta"/>			<!-- potential ability -->

in this list:

<record id="prrs">
	<list id="fields">

<record db_field="pers,dbnm" width="-2"/>			<!-- name -->
		<record db_field="pers,Pnti" width="-2"/>			<!-- nation -->
		<record db_field="pers,Pcti" width="-2"/>			<!-- club -->
		<record db_field="pers,Pcjt"/>			<!-- job -->
		<record db_field="pers,Ppsr"/>			<!-- position -->
	</list>
</record>

Like this:

<!-- fields for the person table -->
<record id="prrs">
	<list id="fields">

<record db_field="pers,dbnm" width="-2"/>			<!-- name -->
		<record db_field="pers,Pnti" width="-2"/>			<!-- nation -->
		<record db_field="pers,Pcti" width="-2"/>			<!-- club -->
		<record db_field="pers,Pcjt"/>			<!-- job -->
		<record db_field="pers,Ppsr"/>			<!-- position -->
		<record db_field="pers,Ocra"/>			<!-- current ability -->
		<record db_field="pers,Opta"/>			<!-- potential ability -->
	</list>
</record>

But it doesn't show up. Any ideas?

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I've knocked together a European Youth comp, not advanced (more's the shame), which brings together 512 clubs from the top 32 leagues with fixtures spaced throughout the season. It's a straight knockout comp for all teams but is supposed to have the following.

Home Grown Nation 8

Home Grown Club 4

Minimum U23's in match squad 18

For some reason, these rules work in advanced mode, they work in nation rules mode, they just don't seem to be working in Continental Rules mode.

Any advice welcome.

Thanks

hi guys trying add a rule to the prem similar to the SPL, where i think its 3 under 22 players from that nation (in this case england/britian) have to be named in the match squad.. Is this possible??

• 6 months later...

A .dbc file is an editor data file that has been compressed. You can uncompress it by opening the file in the editor, choose settings and make sure that save files are NOT compressed and save the file again. This time it will be in an xml format and you can open this file using any text editor like Notepad etc.

• 1 month later...

I want to make certain continental rules start applying from a certain point in time (in 1-2-3 seasons from the game start, meaning that I don't want the league which is played during spring 2012 for the first time to be generated in 2011 while loading the game that starts from June 2011).

How can I do this?

I want to make certain continental rules start applying from a certain point in time (in 1-2-3 seasons from the game start, meaning that I don't want the league which is played during spring 2012 for the first time to be generated in 2011 while loading the game that starts from June 2011).

How can I do this?

You can do that with the advanced rules but not with the normal editor. Sorry bud.

Fowler-9, Off topic: Is that an SPL rule, surely that is against EU law?

On topic, almost certainly using advanced panels but i don't know how much you'd have to recreate.

it is a scottish rule, it has been for a long time. they just trying not to become overflowing with foreign players & encourage home-grown talent

• 3 weeks later...

I want to add the columns for ethnicity and hair colour to the person list but I can't seem to figure out how to add them.

I know the code (peth and phcl respectively) but I don't know which file I should enter them in and at which point. The most frustrating thing is that I managed to do it relatively easily in FM11 but I just can't figure it out this year. Could anybody give me some pointers?

• 9 months later...

Hope someone can help me in here.

I've been trying to pick apart the XML file that is spat out from the editor. Most of it I can decipher no problem, however a couple have me a little bit stumped:

<unsigned id="property" value="1348692596"/>

That one above is taken from an xml file from the editor where I've changed the manager of a club to someone else.

How are these obtained? Are they club/person specific? Or is that ID value going to be the same whenever the update is to change a club captain to someone?

<record>
		<integer id="database_table_type" value="1"/>
		<integer id="db_unique_id" value="6701089"/>
		<unsigned id="property" value="1346677625"/>
		<record id="new_value">
			<unsigned id="id" value="1346777625"/>
			<integer id="value" value="5"/>
			<integer id="lsop" value="1"/>
			<record id="olvl">
				<record id="inju">
					<integer id="injr" value="40"/>
				</record>
				<date id="start_date" day="03" month="09" year="2012" hours="0" minutes="0"/>
				<date id="end_date" day="03" month="09" year="2013" hours="0" minutes="0"/>
				<boolean id="futu" value="false"/>
				<boolean id="perm" value="false"/>
				<integer id="seve" value="0"/>
			</record>
		</record>
		<integer id="version" value="1572"/>
	</record>

Another example, but more specifically the id="id value. Again, how is that determined? (the above XML was an injury that was added to a player).

• 3 months later...

I have been building a North American Super League. No matter what I do I have been getting a Crash dump right at the end of the season. I have tried to keep things simple. Here are some things I have tried

I have tried relocating all the divisions, teams, and cups to another country.

Got rid of the north american champions league

tried different start and end dates

removed all promotion playoffs

duplicated all original MLS teams so they would not be at all part of the MLS system

everything i have tried gives the same result. A crash dump on the final day of the season.

Please I need ideas for things to try. Everything works perfectly until the end of the season.

• 2 weeks later...
I've spent quite some time with the editor to create leagues, and I've butted my head against the walls on more than one occasion, trying to solve weird issues or overcome editor limitations. There is so little information on the more advanced editor topics out there, that I figure I'm gonna post some of these findings in the hope that others find it useful, and maybe save their head from similar maltreatment.

Resolving the Require minimum of xx teams in division X, found only 0 error message

The problem is caused by the rules set in the nation file stored in the editor/data/basic comps. Some countries have rules set for divisions even if they aren't playable in the game. For example, the basic ruleset for Germany determines a minimum number of teams for all of the divisions in the db, even the not playable 4th and 5th tiers. Similar rules for non-playable competitions exist in other countries. The obvious solution is to keep using the same divisions that are already there and fill them up with enough teams, but what do you do when you need to change the structure and the old divisions just don't make sense? Some of the data is so old and outdated that these divisions don't even exist anymore in real life, yet the game complains if you don't use them.

That's where this little trick comes in: save the editor data and open the xml file in a text editor, such as notepad. At the beginning of the file there will be a <record id="rule_group"> for the country you're editing, and in there you'll see a <list id="required_teams"> followed by a bunch of records that set the minimum and maximum number of teams for a competition. It looks like this:

<record>
               <string id="competition" value="8700001"/>
               <string id="nation" value="0"/>
               <string id="minimum_number_teams" value="10"/>
               <string id="maximum_number_teams" value="-1"/>
               <boolean id="next_season" value="false"/>
           </record>

Look for the competition ID that causes you problems and delete the entire record. Save, and reload the file in the editor. Voila.

How to make regional divisions work properly

I shouldn't say properly, because the way the game handles the data is pretty bad, and you won't have a 100% success rate, but you can get pretty close if you put in some work. You have probably already noticed that there's a new regional boundaries section for newly created competitions. The idea behind that is that you can set four boundaries and only clubs that fall into the boundaries are supposed to get placed in that competition. It would be great if it worked that easily, but unfortunately it doesn't.

The very first pitfall is that boundaries can only work if the game knows where a particular club is located, and the only thing tying a club to the map is its stadium. So you'll have to go through all the clubs and make sure they have a stadium set. An easy way to do that is to filter the clubs by your nation and by "Stadium" "Is" "" (yeah, that's a blank). However, you'll also have to make sure that each stadium is in a city, which in turn has proper coordinates set in the db. This is usually the case, but there are some countries in the db where a lot of coordinates are missing.

Ok, now you've gone through all this work, simulate a season, and goddarnit, it still won't work? Welcome to Editor hell. Unfortunately, there are scenarios where the clubs will have to be moved, and that's when the game is making up its own rules on how to do that.

For example, let's say you have a Northern and Southern division, with one promotion spot each. Now two northern teams from the tier above are getting relegated, and none from the South. What the game should be doing is move the Northern team closest to the southern boundary to the Southern division. However, what will most likely be happening instead is that one or more teams randomly switch divisions, without regard to geography. With teams getting promoted from below and with more than two regional divisions on a tier, things get exponentially worse, to the point that the entire mix looks very random.

Thankfully, there is still the old "regional divisions" tab available on each club page, and you can use that to improve the accuracy significantly. Set a regional division for each level (tier) for each club, and watch the number of mismatches go down dramatically. I can't explain why this is happening, but it did the trick for me. You'll still get the occasional odd move, but you will no longer see multiple senseless re-locations that completely shuffle the divisions.

How to merge multiple data files

This is a complete nightmare, and you should avoid merging data at all cost. Whenever you have newly created data in more than one file and want to merge the two, things go absolutely haywire, and you won't even always notice it right away. There seems to be a bug in the Merge function that doesn't properly reassign IDs to newly created objects in the second file, so you end up with duplicate unique IDs for different objects, causing teams, players, stadiums, etc to outright disappear. So again, simply don't do it is by far your best option. However if you must, and you're into masochism, there's a way to salvage hard work when it's split up in multiple files.

Again this involves editing the XML files manually, by using a text editor. The idea is to give all newly created objects in the second file new IDs, and getting rid of all duplicate data, such as competitions that are created in both files. To find the duplicate data, I recommend using winmerge, a freeware utility that allows you to see differences in two files side by side. Delete all the duplicate data in the second file. There will be some minor differences because the editor tends to change datatypes from "unsigned" to "string" for no particular reason, but you can ignore those. It will work fine regardless of datatype.

After you've weeded out the duplicates, it's time to reassign IDs. I can't get into great detail here because this would be a novel, but if you figure out how new objects are stored in the XML, you can identify its unique ID and then do a "replace all" to replace it with something that's larger than the highest ID in the original file. Do that for each object, be it a club, person, competition, city or stadium. When you merge the modified data the editor will properly reassign all IDs to be in sequence.

Hopefully SI will fix this in the next patch, but for now maybe this saves some people from having to throw away a lot of work they've put in.

Some troubleshooting tips for crash dumps

Crash dumps can happen for many reasons, and frequently occur on the new season start date. Some reasons I've found were:

- corrupt data (especially if you try to merge, so don't do that).

- Not enough teams eligible for promotion to the lowest tier. Test that by disabling relegation from the lowest tier.

- Playoffs. Try disabling the playoffs, if the error goes away you at least narrowed down where to look.

- Teams entering a cup when the team has no nation set.

There are probably a ton of other reasons, but you can start there.

How to make the unique ID field on the club screen no longer read-only

Graphics editors have been exasperated by how much harder it is to create logos for clubs because they can no longer copy and paste the unique ID field. That's relatively easy to fix, but don't do it unless you have to, because my fix makes the unique ID editable, and you'll want to avoid editing the unique ID in the editor.

Open the file club ui.xml in the folder C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2010\tools\editor\data\format\database ui

near the top, edit the line that says <record db_field="club,duni" is_read_only="true"/> and change the true to a false. Save the file (you may need administrator access in Vista and Win 7) and the field will turn into a regular text field that you can copy from.

How to change the columns shown in the editor, i.e. adding the Unique ID column

Here's a quick guide for adding a Unique ID column to the clubs screen. The same concept also works for adding any other kind of column to any of the screens.

Open the file club ui.xml in the folder C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2010\tools\editor\data\format\database ui

At the top you see the fields for the clubs table, looking like this:

<!-- fields for the clubs table -->
   <record id="clrs">
       <list id="fields">
           <record db_field="club,Csnm" width="-2"/>        <!-- name -->
           <record db_field="club,Cnti" width="-2"/>        <!-- nation -->
           <record db_field="club,Cdvi" width="-2"/>        <!-- division -->
           <record db_field="club,Crep"/>                <!-- reputation -->
       </list>
   </record>

Add a line for the column(s) you want to show. For the Unique ID I did the following:

<!-- fields for the clubs table -->
   <record id="clrs">
       <list id="fields">
           <record db_field="club,Csnm" width="-2"/>        <!-- name -->
           <record db_field="club,Cnti" width="-2"/>        <!-- nation -->
           <record db_field="club,Cdvi" width="-2"/>        <!-- division -->
           [color=red]<record db_field="club,duni" width="75"/>        <!-- unique ID -->[/color]
           <record db_field="club,Crep"/>                <!-- reputation -->
       </list>
   </record>

The width of 75 causes it to be a fixed width of approximately the right size for the 8 digit IDs. Setting it to -2 like the others would cause it to be evenly sized and grow with the screen width, making the other fields smaller.

Hope these are useful for someone. If you have similar nuggets that you've discovered after lots of trial and error and can help other people avoid similar frustration, please post them here.

This is a great post! :D I suppose a lot of experienced editors will know these tricks but it was new to me!

I used the 'delete from basic comps' instructions for the first time, very unsure when it comes to the xml files but it worked perfectly!

I hoped there would be some solution to a problem I have been having with regional leagues in Scotland, but I have been having the same issue as described in this post (although TADW describes it far better) and it is still not resolved all this time later sadly. But I was advised to edit the regional boundaries and that has definitely helped. There is a bit of movement between my leagues but at least I can see where the numbers have become uneven and the game has balances them out, rather than my previous attempts where it was going bonkers. Annoyingly, all my 'additions' in the wrong place seem to be from the same location (Highlands, so their unwanted presence is pretty glaring in a league full of Edinburgh or Glasgow teams) but it might be to do with them being the highest reputation teams available. I will need to sort that as there are some far bigger clubs than Portgordon Vics floating about in my lower-league limbo waiting to be parachuted in!

• 1 month later...

In the db with editor there are comps as world cup under 17...

is it possible to activate it?

there is also a the possibility to create under 17 teams... or change all young national teams "not real"

as in ASIA there are u21 instead of u20 teams.

Archived