A thread for some advanced editing tips

So nobody can help me? As I said, i deleted a bunch of young players to get set for my 1995 update, but now when I click in some players, it takes me to a blank player profile, and I cannot change anything on the player I want to edit. Any help lease? This is a deal breaker!

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/158116-The-Official-General-Database-Editing-Thread?highlight=general+database

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really hope somebody can help me/us out here. Basically I have no clue about this advanced editing stuff. The last time I did anything like this was at college 8/9 years ago.

There is an update in the Editors Hideaway by Forbsie and we want to recreate the new Premier League squad rules. In an attempt to do this, Forbsie set minimum of 8 home grown players and also no more than 17 foreign players to make the squad total to 25. Now this in the game reads players like Macheda, Rafael and Fabio (Man Utd) as foreign even though technically they are not. Also you can not register any more than the 25 players. Under 21 players can't play unless they are registered within the 25 man squad.

I read a bit last night about the advanded editing you can do and the fixture rules file which contain the commands to add unlimited under 21 players into the squad. I copied the full record and entered it into the xml in the same section as the rules for 8 home grown players. However when I start a new game, it is not picking up the rule for the under 21 players. Its setting the minimum on 8 homegrown players correctly.

Also when you set the maximum squad size to 25, it will only let you register the 25 players with squad numbers 1-25. So at the moment im stuck with only being able to register 25 players, 8 of which have to be homegrown and any players under 21 which I may want to use also have to be registered as part of the 25.

I read somewhere aswell that if you find the league your having problems with and delete the entire record, it will load the setting for that league from the original database that you loaded (in this case 10.3). Im guessing that would be too simple a fix though for something like this.

I know trying to get this rule to kick in at the start of the second season will probably be a push to far. We are just trying to get it to work from the start of the game if that is at all possible. If anybody knows how to set this rule up and can give me step by step instructions of how to insert it into the xml, or if its not too much trouble, maybe even download Forbsie's latest update and add it yourself and give it back to Forbsie to carry on updating. That would be massively appreciated by all that use Forbsie's excellent updates.

You can set it up using the Advanced Panel as the Fixture rules are all there, including Allow any squad numbers and U21's are allowed to play etc.

You can't transfer the xml code into a nation rules file though, as this only uses simple rules. You have to create a league using the advanced panel.

You can set it up using the Advanced Panel as the Fixture rules are all there, including Allow any squad numbers and U21's are allowed to play etc.

You can't transfer the xml code into a nation rules file though, as this only uses simple rules. You have to create a league using the advanced panel.

Thanks for your reply. We have managed to sort it now. He'd recreated the league to add real fixtures to it so he had to re-create the rules and obviously all the options arent there. We just deleted the nation rules that he added and everything now workd.

Just out of curiosity for future things, how do you get to see the advanced panel in the editor?

There's an activation thread with a link to a wiki and a download for it, http://advanced.wikia.com/wiki/Football_Manager_Advanced_Panel_Editor_Guide_Wiki

And just so you know you don;t have to recreate the rules for all the correct fixtures. You can add nation rules then add lower divisions and cups, it will keep the in game rules, and from there you can assign specific fixtures.

Alright here's a question to you all who have more experience at the advanced panels. Has anyone had any success with having a competition record the winner of both an Apertura and Clausura? Right now it just record the winner of the Clausura because that is the last "winner" when it goes to record the winner. I really can't see a way to do this unless the Apertura and Clausura were listed as child competitions under the parent competition that is the actual competition name. Any help would be appreciated.

Has anyone actually managed to make it work? I'm curious.

I once got it working, but only from 2nd stage to 3rd stage, 3rd stage to 4th and so on (it really did work), I've tried many things but still couldn't make it work from the 1st stage.

Would it maybe be possible to work on that basis using a 1st stage with no fixtures, then having the first stage as 2nd and second as 3rd? or would the 2nd never happen?

Would it maybe be possible to work on that basis using a 1st stage with no fixtures, then having the first stage as 2nd and second as 3rd? or would the 2nd never happen?

I haven't tried that. But even if it does work, the question remains: why can't we do it from the 1st stage?:)

Sorry about this, as I know I'm missing something obvious

When I go to the advanced panel, and set up a nation, I can't get the 'Required teams' tab to work. When I look at other people's work, they have a 3 column setup here of Division, Country and Number of Teams. I'm just getting one column with it wanting me to select individual teams. I've played around with it but can't find any way around this

I haven't tried that. But even if it does work, the question remains: why can't we do it from the 1st stage?:)

God knows. How did you manage to do it at all? I've got it working with stages 1 and 2 rather than 0 and 1, but can't get points to carry. Teams aren't being sorted properly in the right groups either.

God knows. How did you manage to do it at all?

I didn't do anything special, I just made a cup where teams were drawn and redrawn in 3 group stages, in stage 0 they were seeded by league position, while in stage 1 and 2 they where drawn by position in previous stage. I found the points being nicely carried from stage 1 to 2, but disappointingly not from stage 0 to 1, and I tried a lot of things with it.

To be honest, I wasn't even sure what 'update max game' meant, it didn't make any difference whether I ticked it or not, I deleted the cup in the end out of frustration.

However, in my case it always picked the right team.

I think our only obvious problem with the advanced panel is how linguistically outlandish the interface is (especially for non-english speaker/non computer expert like me), but it's an unfinished work, what do we expect.

The reason why it may not work from stage 0 to 1 may be because of the way SI coded the game to recognise Opening and Closing stages.

I've never looked at these stages and don't know how to get them to work. There are no tooltips or anywhere else to turn to. With myself I had to figure out so much of the advanced panel features by myself, and it took a few weeks, I lost count of the number of tests I've made.

Just keep trying different things and once you've figured it out let us know.

I'm still trying. Right now I'm working on trying it with the league fixtures split in half between 0 and 1, then the group stage as 2. However I'm having some weird scheduling issues and also only the second half results (1) are transfering over to the group, even though the results from 0 are displaying as one table with them. :confused:

However, this might be a way forward.

Stage 0 - 1 round of 13 - hidden..

goes into Stage 1 - round of 13.

Both then should go into the group stage, although that's where it's faltering right now.

Is it possible to have a stage with no fixtures at all for 0?

I'm still trying.

It's certainly better than going mad:p

only the second half results (1) are transfering over to the group, even though the results from 0 are displaying as one table with them. :confused:

Well...lol

Is it possible to have a stage with no fixtures at all for 0?

Even if the competition will work without stage 0, I have suspicion that you'll have problem recording the winner of the competition. From what I've tried, winner of multistage competition will only get recorded if you set the fate action in the last stage as "competition winner" of stage 0, while in stage 0 it has to be set to have the fate action of "champion" of the last stage. And fate action won't mean anything without an actual stage. Hope I'm wrong, though.

And I really hope you'll be able to find the answer to this point carryover problem, and make everyone happy. I know this has been tried before by some, but with no conclusion (not which can be found here in this thread)

Winner seems fine I think. It should be the team top of the top group once all fixtures have been played, so simply setting individual group rules for that top group deals with that, coupled with maybe using 'store league history'.

This method isn't working, as it's leaving me with a 26 game table, then 15-16 games played in the group stages. Not sure why it's taking that amount, because however you look at it, 6 + 13 does not equal 15 or 16. Even if I fix that the best I can get will probably be 19.

Is it actually possible to have the blank first stage? Can go back to trying basics if I can.

Hi folks,

I'm trying to add a competition in North America using the advanced panels and remove MLS entirely, but I keep an error that MLS requires 15 teams. I tried adding MLS to the required teams tab and setting it to 2, but nothing changed. I also tried deleting MLS from the database and I still get the same error.

Is there a way around this, or is it one of the hardcoded MLS settings? I guess I can add 15 dummy teams if I have to.

You just erase MLS, create new league, add MLS teams in it (and other teams, if you like to) and edit that league. I did it, so I think you can do it too. I also add some other cups. Here is my file, with National league (1st tier), MICROSOFT's Cup (league cup, held before season start), and USSF Cup (ex Open Cup). And also, make sure that all other US competitions (rivalry cups, lower divisions) are erased.

And I have one question. How to add four placed team of one league to continental cup? I have remade CONCACAF CL, and now am trying to change Superliga into CL qualifying cup, including 4th placed from Mexico. Also, I have problems with USA qualifying to CL - when MLS winner (or runner up) is also Open Cup winner, how to make Cup finalist to qualify to CL (or third in league)? As there is Mexican team instead of US. Weird.

Basically you need to get that cup runner up into the game, otherwise the game will automatically pick another team (like you said another Mexican team).

You can get teams from any stage of a competition - however you cannot tell what stage name SI have given for any of the leagues they use. So ideally you should recreate the Mexican league.

E.G. Get League Stage team - Stage 0, Index 0, Top 3, Bottom 3, total number of teams 1

That will get the fourth placed team in that stage.

Hi. I have a few questions. Sorry if this has been covered. I tried reading through this thread, but it's heavy-going and with so many questions and discussions going on it's tough to weed out the info I'm looking for.

I haven't downloaded the advanced panel yet, but it might be the way to go.

Basically, I've made two completely new league systems - fictional new teams, new competitions, etc. I've done this in the traditional manner of setting league rules (so I have two Editor Data files for both set-ups). To avoid interfering with the big leagues, I've used Fiji and Cook Islands as the base for these new set-ups.

They are as follows:

Fiji:

2 main leagues - 1 top division (14 teams), 1 second division (16 teams), plus an "academy league" (14 Under 23 teams with 0 foreign players - tried Home Grown rules, but this was too restrictive)

3 cups - FA Cup (2 leg KO, both division teams), Intercontinental invitational (16 clubs - 6 top division teams plus single teams from various leagues - 2 groups of 8 the semis), Lower level Cup (second division teams only)

Cook Islands:

1 main league (10 teams), academy league as above (10 teams)

2 cups - FA Cup (10 teams), Intercontinental (same criteria as above)

Now all of that works perfectly (so far). Two quibbles:

-I wanted to create a cross league competition between both top leagues, but as the FM editor makes you work with one set of national rules per Data file, you can't make such a competition containing teams from those leagues unless you make one of them unplayable. Can the advanced panel be used to make this happen?

-Oddly, the game quite happily enters the champion of the created Cook Island league into the O-League at the preliminary stage, but the champion of the created Fijian league doesn't appear. It selects an actual Fijian team.

I can live with having just one of the above working and I'm guessing the latter is the most straight forward. It's worth noting that all these competitions and teams were made from scratch.

Any idea how best remedy this and could the advanced panel be used to qualify more teams to the O-League than the standard league winners?

Thanks in advance for any info!

Take a look at my Oceanic League file, I changed the O-League to the real life format as the in game one is outdated.

As I haven't tried messing around with more than two countries in one competition other than a continental cup, I can't answer your first question. If I were you I would just recreate the O-League into something more substantial and use that as your cross league competition.

someone please pleasee fix up my canadian league for i have alreadly created 3 league with 52 teams i just need champions league football so the top 4 teams can qualify for north american champions league i also removed the canadian champions cup which is a cup that make only one team in canada qualify but ever snce i did tht i begin to get crash dumps please help meh i do ill anything i can send you the database if you like and you can take a look at it

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=OUGPTY80

who ever can do it rightt, what i want is not that hard just for canadian teams to play in north american champions league without using that canadian champions cup shitt where it only allows 3 teams in canada which is toronto vancouver and montreal i wantt any team that finishes in the top 4 of the highest league to qualify for champions league football

That wont work, as Canadian Champ Cup works as continental cup.

He have to use Advanced panel and recreate Champions League, and that's all. If he dont knows how to do that, Ill help him (I also saw his profile on "fm-base.com" and offered him help).

There is also way to do this, as make CL as part of Canadian cups, in Nation Rules panel, but it will be bad move.

Right, I'm trying to get my own double elimination to work on a league I am working on. All matches play and then after the final game is played, it just crashes.

Sead I know you got yours to work, could you take a look at mine please?

Or anyone else for that matter.

Check my post lower down for updated link.

Magic, I think the simplest way to make a 6-team double elimination cup work is like this (let me know if it's not in line with what you want your cup to be or I misunderstood your system)...

Round 0 : 4 teams , 4 teams enter this round, Winners go to Round 1, Loser Round 2

Round 1 : 4 teams, 2 teams enter this round, Winners go to Round 3, Loser Round 2

Round 2 : 4 teams, Winners go to Round 4, Loser -1

Round 3 : 2 teams, Winner goes to round 6, Loser Round 5

Round 4 : 2 teams, Winner goes to round 5, Loser -1

Round 5 : 2 teams, Winner goes to Round 6, Loser -1

Round 6 (final) : 2 teams

then every team will need to be beaten twice to get eliminated, except the losing finalist which will be 'eliminated' even if it's their first loss. Round 1 and Round 3 are winners' path, while Round 2, Round 4, and Round 5 are losers' path.

As in your file, I saw that you set the winner of the Round 8 to go to Round 4, I'm surprised such 'backward' move is allowed in the editor since I tried something like that and failed.

However, I think the cause of your crash is that you set '1' team to enter the final (Round 4) which makes the competition has 7 and the final has 3 teams instead of 6 and 2:)

It plays out fine in the game, I tried it 'forwards' so to speak but it still crashed.

It is imperative that 2 teams enter at the third round, as that is how it works IRL.

Basically this is the format:

1st Round - 4 teams enter, 4 in round 0

2nd Round - 4 teams total, 2 in round 1 and the 2 who lost in round 2, 1 goes out

3rd round - 5 teams total, 2 teams enter, winner of round 1 receives a bye, 2 in round 3 who enter, 1 who lost in round 1 in round 4, winner of round 2 in round 4, 1 goes out

4th round - 4 teams total, winner of round 1 in round 5, winner of round 3 in round 5, loser of round 3 in round 6, winner of round 4 in round 6, 1 goes out

semi final - 3 teams total, winner of round 5 receives a bye, loser of round 5 in round 7, winner of round 6 in round 7, 1 goes out

final - round 8, between winner of round 5 and round 8, one goes out, champions declared

In editor terms this would be:

0 - 1st Round - winner to 1, loser to 2 (4 teams enter)

1 - 2nd Round - winner to 5, loser to 4

2 - 2nd Round - winner to 4, loser to -1

3 - 3rd Round - winner to 5, loser to 6 (2 teams enter)

4 - 3rd Round - winner to 6, loser to -1

5 - 4th Round - winner to 8, loser to 7

6 - 4th Round - winner to 7, loser to -1

7 - Semi Final - winner to 8, loser to -1

8 - Final - winner to -1, loser to -1

I've tried taking out fate actions, leaving them in, nothing works, it just crashes after the final is played.

I'm going to try naming the rounds so that they are all different and see if that works.

EDIT: Just tested it now and it doesn't work. Same problem as before - plays 100% as it should up to and including the final, but then I get a crash dump.

And I noticed that 1 extra team in the final, I put it in there when I was trying something else and forgot to take it out. Taken it out and still got a crash (when I left it in it actually never got to the final)

http://www.filefront.com/17142052/San Marino v1.37.xml

I've taken a look and tested your file on holiday, and - just like you - I still can't find what's wrong. Since holidaying your file takes only 5 minute until the crash, I didn't have the time to look at the progress:), so, btw, does that carryover stage work?

If you mean the stage 0 and 1, yes it does. It didn't at first, the league sorting was all over the place. But now it plays as in real life - The teams from the group play each other twice and they also play the teams in the other group once.

If you mean the cup stage everything works as it should except for the crash at the end.

OK guys... trying my hardest but it's really difficult. The Dutch league system has changed. The eredivisie (premier league) still is the same old, whereas the first division (jupiler league) has got some changes to be done. The league went down from 20 to 18 teams, but it's impossible to change this without recreating the whole league.

The problem is though, that the league is not just based on the final ranking (17x2 games per team), but also is divided into four periods of eight games, with the last two games of the season being period-less. The winner of each period automatically qualifies for a promotion play-off spot, and the four winners (or nr 2 of a period in case some team wins twice) are then joined by the four highest ranked teams of the first division, except for the winner, who promotes directly to the premier league.

During the first round of the play-offs there's only the four lowest ranked first division play-off teams playing a european system 2-leg knock out, and in the second round, the nr 16 and 17 of the eredivisie (nr 18 drops directly) join in. Two more rounds of play-offs are played and the two winners of the play-offs promote to (or stay in) the Eredivisie. The lowest ranked team in the First Division relegates directly to one of the two newly formed leagues called Topklasse. Which consists out of two leagues, one played on saturdays, one on sundays, both holding 16 teams. The winners of both Topklasse leagues play against each other in a 2-leg play-off, with the winner of that play-offs promoting to the Eerste Divisie

Especially the play-offs for Eredivisie relegation / promotion and the period system in the Jupiler league have so far been impossible to create and the only way to keep them is by having the old structure, so a 20-team Jupiler League including teams that have relegated / gone bankrupt. Do you guys think there is any way to create or edit this into the realistic way?

Some more info here http://www.just-football.com/2010/07/de-topklasse-dutch-football-gets-a-pyramid/

Thanks a lot, hope anyone can help!

I'm finding it hard to understand how the system works. I don't know if it can be explained a bit better. Sounds complicated though, the hardest thing to get working would be the periods. Playoffs shouldn't be too hard.

Have tried to search for better explanation, could we chat over teamspeak?

i'm having some issues setting continental cup in other leagues i'm doing

i was recreating chile from scratch and, although i put the winner and the runner-up of chile cup qualifying for sulamericana, the game picks the first division's winner and runner-up (and that's what's written in the rules tab, no matter what i do in advanced panel)

what i can about that?

Hmm keep having the issue of 18 teams found, 20 needed, so won't let me start up the league and test. The league under the First Division seems to be a bit mixed up as there is one called Topklasse (which should be called Hoofdklasse and is the 4th highest level, exist out of three saturday and three sunday leagues) and the right 3rd level one is called Nederlandse Topklasse (and exist out of one saturday and one sunday league).

Hopefully we can get it fixed :) Thanks for all support so far!

Archived