A thread for some advanced editing tips

Try to add the superdraft on the competition list under nation, but not add it as a competition with rules etc. should probably work then.

Right I've tried that and still had no luck and it's still being played as a normal competition. I've added the Open Cup that way though and it works fine, will also try the same with the All stars games and see if they work. Not sure if there will be any way around the Superdraft though sadly? Could the problem maybe be competition level? I've tried putting it as both 0 and blank but neither seems to have any affect.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've never had that error, so I assume it must be to do with the teams and their selection. If you have 128 teams double check that they are all set to enter at the right rounds, and perhaps try adding in a straight knockout cup first, then add these extra stages in, and see if that works.

Thanks, that's a good idea, I think I should enter the main rounds first, see if it's work as single elimination tournament and then add the losers rounds and playoffs (currently it's rather hard to spot on error with 20 rounds and confusing round names:))

I have had that error message before, yes it was always about imperfect round tree, combination of carelessness and bad maths.

Another question, how can I stop A teams from upper division from from entering lower division cup? It happens everytime I select teams from division which involve their B teams (either 'through get all teams from division' or 'get league stage' teams option).

Right I've tried that and still had no luck and it's still being played as a normal competition. I've added the Open Cup that way though and it works fine, will also try the same with the All stars games and see if they work. Not sure if there will be any way around the Superdraft though sadly? Could the problem maybe be competition level? I've tried putting it as both 0 and blank but neither seems to have any affect.

Superdraft should be at the same level as the PDL.

My problems above are solved through redoing, so I wasn't really able to see where I had gone wrong before unfortunately. Double-elimination tournament is now working properly with the right entries, the ranking level setting also looks to give teams the realistic expectation for the cup. The only minor cosmetic glitch is the game always state any club that haven't been eliminated but doesn't play in a certain round as 'having a bye' to the next round, while in fact the next round is an elimination playoff, but it doesn't really bother me.

Now the last basic problem in my league system - I expect to see hundreds 'advanced' ones later:) - is promotion/relegation between the Third Division (single division) and the Regional Premier Division (parent competition). The lower one consist of 8 leagues whose winner compete in 2 knock-out rounds to find the two teams to promote to the Third Division. I created the cup stage under one of the child competition, since it wouldn't update to the next season when I created it under the parent competition itself. Now the second season runs fine, non-playoff promotion between single leagues or between multiple leagues work fine, but I just can't seem to set the right fate action for the winning team to get promoted in this one. I download many created .xml/.dbc files to see how to do it (Mrt90's brazillian which also use playoff files for example), but still no luck.

The soccer pyramid could be found here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_soccer_pyramid

But I guess you have to activate all the divisions down to PDL, if this should work. The reason why the draft have to be at the same level as the PDL is that the draft picks players from thet league.

Right so it's level 4, which will be level 3 in the advanced editor; But ok I will try adding the other leagues in and see what results I get. Should I still leave the cups at 0 would you say?

However I have come to a sticking point with the PDL as I need to create that competition as a parent comp, however I'm not sure how to set up the individual groups.

Supposed I get you right, you can either set it as a single competition with group stage, or a parent competition, where each child competion needs

to be set up as individual competition at the same level to each other.

Supposed I get you right, you can either set it as a single competition with group stage, or a parent competition, where each child competion needs

to be set up as individual competition at the same level to each other.

Right OK I think I get you. So at the moment, I have the PDL set as a parent competition, with all the child leagues listed as well. So now would I need to also create all the child league as well?

Exactly, you have to add every child competition and set their setting individually, the game will not mistakenly recognize them as completely separate competition as long as you have the parent competition above them in the list and they are all at the same level.

OK so I'm trying to add the other USA leagues in the hope of getting the Draft to work; However I have come to a sticking point with the PDL as I need to create that competition as a parent comp, however I'm not sure how to set up the individual groups.

If you download my Nigerian league structure, that I posted in thsi forum, you will see how the parent and child competitions have been set up.

Exactly, you have to add every child competition and set their setting individually, the game will not mistakenly recognize them as completely separate competition as long as you have the parent competition above them in the list and they are all at the same level.
If you download my Nigerian league structure, that I posted in thsi forum, you will see how the parent and child competitions have been set up.

OK, thanks both of you :thup:

I have a question linked to stadiums in the Advanced Panel.

In the advanced panel it's possible to assign a cup round to various different options of stadiums. Some of them are rather obvious but does anyone has a clue what the following are (and if so, how they should be implemented):

- Ask Competition Neutral

- Ask Competition Neutral 2

- Ask Competition Home

- Stadium 0 till Stadium 9

- League Stage Stadium 1

- League Stage Stadium 2

Hmm. Created a national league via the Advanced Panel. Yet for some weird reason FM insists that the game start date is in July while the league season runs from April till October and league update is listed in January.

Any clue what I'm missing?

Right so I'm running through a few tests with just my MLS running, anyway I've set the fixture priority to Domestic League - High, yet none of the teams play their full team!? For example Beckham has only played once for Galaxy (I've removed his loan) and Thierry Henry who I have put at Red Bulls has only appeared in 4 games all season! Any ideas where I could be going wrong?

Right so I'm running through a few tests with just my MLS running, anyway I've set the fixture priority to Domestic League - High, yet none of the teams play their full team!? For example Beckham has only played once for Galaxy (I've removed his loan) and Thierry Henry who I have put at Red Bulls has only appeared in 4 games all season! Any ideas where I could be going wrong?

maybe this thread addresses the issue?

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=207226

Hmm. Created a national league via the Advanced Panel. Yet for some weird reason FM insists that the game start date is in July while the league season runs from April till October and league update is listed in January.

Any clue what I'm missing?

Right. Sorted.

Moving the national league up to directly after the nation rules in the advanced panel instead of having some other cup there solved the problem.

For something completely different.

If someone has created a working international club cup can I have a link to the download of said file so I can see what I'm doing wrong?

I try to recreate something but are obviously failing as:

- the fixtures are only visible for the teams from the country I attach the cup to in the Advanced Panel

- Matches of said cup aren't even manageable, I have to go on holiday to proceed

About the cup tie that isn't manageable, could it have anything to do with fixture rules? For example, you told a cup to use a fixture rule where some of the teams are not possible to have any player registered for it at all.

For something completely different.

If someone has created a working international club cup can I have a link to the download of said file so I can see what I'm doing wrong?

I try to recreate something but are obviously failing as:

- the fixtures are only visible for the teams from the country I attach the cup to in the Advanced Panel

- Matches of said cup aren't even manageable, I have to go on holiday to proceed

My Oceanic thread has the O-League, check it out.

My Oceanic thread has the O-League, check it out.

Hmm. I've done all things as much the same as you have done however my custom club cups fail to show up in the menus.

Edit: just had an awful thought; do all leagues where the clubs get picked from have to be in the same file or can they be located in their own dbc file (made via nation rules and not via advanced panel)?

Like I said above. If they are in the db but not in game, you need to set up the one that is in the game as the parent, then recreate that competition and add yours in - both under the original. That way you can navigate them both in the right part of the game.

Alternatively you could add the competition under a country, but you'd have to go to that country through the menu to get to the competition.

I realize this thread is for the advanced panel competitions but you guys are the most knowledgeable of the editor regardless, can any of you take a look at my file -http://www.filefront.com/16708833/IndiaNationRules.dbc/ and see what the problem is? It was working absolutely fine until I created 8 new cups, added about 40clubs, added the reserve teams + u18 properly instead of creating them as separate clubs, and added 15 languages. Now none of the things I've added should have caused any problems as all they did was flesh out the file a bit more to give it some life. Whenever I select the file for a new game, it gets to halfway of setting up new database then says a serious error has occurred and CTD's. I've checked all the dates for any mistakes and any league/team overlaps and I don't see any problems there. This is a stupid idea but it seems my game is 10.3 oF while my editor is 10.3 oD...could that be causing any problems? Thanks in advance guys, appreciate any help you can offer.

I know exactly how to do those things I just wanted some kind of authority advice and since you guys had already figured out how to work a little magic with the editor I figured you could help with a diagnosis of some sort. I'm not a dunce, I realize where all the threads are here I was just posting in an active section frequented by experienced users.

All I can advise is that you Test all rules to ensure they are working (do this in the editor) and to make incremental version changes when you do edit the file. That way if one version crashes you can roll back to an older version.

I am currently too busy to test any files however, sorry.

Right.

I'm (trying in) recreating the Club World Championship in the Advanced Panel.

As I want to take into account the fact that the various clubs enter in various stages I've cut up the cup in 6 stages in the panel (playoff, Quarter Final, 5th place playoff, Semi Final, 3th place playoff & Final).

However I fail so far in getting the teams who qualify from one stage to appear in the next one.

Fate action set in playoff (stage 0):

Type - Qualify team for stage

Round name - Playoff

Team - Winning team

Main stage name - Quarter Final

Listed in Teams section of Quarter Final (Stage 1):

Type - Get qualified teams from stage

Competition - Club World Championship

Stage - 0

Main stage name - Playoff

Yet this doesn't work.

In the playoff stage is listed ingame that the winner qualifies for the Quarter Final however the club doesn't get picked for the QF and FM solves the problem by picking Barcelona on default ..

Who can give me some pointers on where I go wrong?

...with multiple round, just use the 'index of next round' box to show the winner where to go.

Anyway, my own questions, when does a competition actually gives out the ranking level? What is the meaning of the option 'only give out the fate action when this stage is finished'? I know it's 'fate action' not ranking level, but, just in case, does it have anything to do with the problem of some clubs seemingly sack their manager a little too soon? And in what case fate action apply before the stage is finished?

Sorry if it sound stupid and obvious

From the way I see it, ranking for leagues is given after every game is played, but final rankings aren't given until all games are played. So it helps if you set a ranking level, as this way you can say that a club in 3rd place is qualifying for europe, or 2nd, qualifying for title etc.

For cups the ranking is given after that round is over. This is why it is important not to set the winner of each round to 0, as that is the highest ranking, and they will think they have won the cup. (A mistake I made).

It isn't obvious either, it took a while to figure out what the rankings do, and how they affect the game. Turns out they are a big part of it.

Thanks, Magic, I think I should see it that way too.

For me it is quite confusing sometimes when having to set the ranking level for a league when the top team is not the automatic winner. I always hesitate which ranking the top team should have, whether I should set it to 0, or to the ranking of the loser of the next stage (maybe because it said 'current ranking', does it mean at the stage or in the whole competition?).

Meanwhile, for the ranking weight, I am not sure how to give a team that qualify for relegation play off, should it be 'managed to avoid relegation' or what? Somehow they can get the 'team was relegated' level in the next stage. It might change the board's opinion within a week.

But sometimes the intrigue of setting the ranking can be rather enjoyable, too. My double-elimination cup ends up in a some funny sequences of ranking level, but I think it works well. And yes, they are a big part of it.

Alright, gotta try it again after work. It's actually one thing that I tried, however I worried the top teams in the league stage wouldn't be 'happy enough'. But now I realize that's what the ranking meaning is for: the top team will still understand that they finish the league stage on top, yet they know that there is still some works to do. Ta.

Meanwhile it seems that even in the advanced panel the number of promotion per league is limited to 20. It gives a large multileague division some more playoffs to do, can't do with just one that is added to all child competitions:(.

Remade the Club World Championship in the Advanced Panel.

Every round into one stage now.

2 clubs enter in the playoff round, 3 in the Quarter Final and the final two clubs enter in the Semi Final.

Index of next round set for each round

Draw rules - use reputation to seed the teams

I can create the game, yet when clicking on the competition I get a crash to desktop.

Any clues?

Hi guys

I'm creating my own cup competition and thus far I have succeeded in inserting the some maximum squad size minimum homegrown player etc rules into the xml. However, I haven't worked out what I need to do to ensure that under 21s don't need to be registered. Any ideas?

From what I've experienced, enabling "U-21/19 don't need to be registered" option can cause the game to crash at set up IF you specify the date range of squad registration (the bottom option in squad registration box), however it can always be safely enabled if you only specify the initial registration date (the upper option).

Another thing: I think we also have to be careful with the squad registration rule when we have B/reserve team in lower division as it is only the main club that do the registration, make sure you allow enough number of players to be registered so the B team will have enough registered players to play.

Alright, gotta try it again after work. It's actually one thing that I tried, however I worried the top teams in the league stage wouldn't be 'happy enough'. But now I realize that's what the ranking meaning is for: the top team will still understand that they finish the league stage on top, yet they know that there is still some works to do. Ta.

Meanwhile it seems that even in the advanced panel the number of promotion per league is limited to 20. It gives a large multileague division some more playoffs to do, can't do with just one that is added to all child competitions:(.

You can change this limit in the appropriate file.

Let's give it a try:

find the rule group folder in editor/data/format

The file you want is league.xml

You need to go to line 310 - this section has the max number of promotion places in the league. min is set to 0, max is set to 20. If you change the max it should work in the game, but I haven't tested it myself. Whether the game supports more than 20 promotions is another question to consider.

Give it a try and let me know how you get on.

Archived